Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Corners of mouth droop down - how to move them back up?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:31 am      Reply with quote
Just noticed corners of my mouth seem to droop down a little, so it makes me look like I find something distasteful even when that's not so. I don't know how this happens. DO you know what I'm talking about? I wonder what can be done to fix this. Looks like maybe some muscles are pulling the corners of the mouth downwar, maybe???
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:01 am      Reply with quote
They're called marionette lines and are part of normal aging. I think the only way to fix it is to get a filler like Juvaderm injected.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:31 am      Reply with quote
I used to get fillers in my marionette lines, but I started doing the Ageless If You Dare exercises ($10)....my lines were almost eliminated after 3 months, and the corners are no longer turning down like they were. Shock

You can see my pics on page 44 of the Ageless thread on the Tools forum.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
I had these too, they were only just noticeable and I had a little bit of filler injected inside my mouth, about 2cm away from the corners. This really helped.

Another treatment you could consider is the caci - which is a non-surgical lift. You need about 10 treatments and then maintenance every month. These sessions are usually £40-50, however, I go to my local beauty training collage and get them for £12 per session.
Out of the 2 treatments, I find the fillers the most effective.

Steph

5% products discount

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
smile more,and massage.
Yiying
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
Try some eye and mouth serum or cream
tessera
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
I've got the same thing and have had all my life (nothing to do with aging). It is sometimes caused by extra strength in the muscles that pull down the corners of the mouth (you can feel them by doing a downturned sad clown mouth). A very small amount of Botox will relax the muscle sufficiently to allow the mouth corners to lift. However, it must be applied skillfully, or you will drool (not an appealing look). Rolling Eyes The downside of that is expense and short duration. Alternatively (or in addition to), facial exercise can reportedly be used to strengthen the lifting muscles.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:50 am      Reply with quote
I did the small amount of botox as well, so did my hubby, and it was a life saver. After several repeats it retrained that muscle and I don't do it anymore. It was a habit and I didn't even realize it.
I also had put in a tiny amount of juvaderm, which collagen took back over, and plumped those little lines right out.
I am so glad I did it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
tessera wrote:
I've got the same thing and have had all my life (nothing to do with aging). It is sometimes caused by extra strength in the muscles that pull down the corners of the mouth (you can feel them by doing a downturned sad clown mouth). A very small amount of Botox will relax the muscle sufficiently to allow the mouth corners to lift. However, it must be applied skillfully, or you will drool (not an appealing look). Rolling Eyes The downside of that is expense and short duration. Alternatively (or in addition to), facial exercise can reportedly be used to strengthen the lifting muscles.

LOL I don't want to drool. Too funny! Laughing Hmmm..botox is the answer.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
I did the small amount of botox as well, so did my hubby, and it was a life saver. After several repeats it retrained that muscle and I don't do it anymore. It was a habit and I didn't even realize it.
I also had put in a tiny amount of juvaderm, which collagen took back over, and plumped those little lines right out.
I am so glad I did it!

AnnieR, were you talking about juvaderm in the nose to mouth lines? I don't have lines forming at the corners of my mouth down toward the chin yet. I do have the nose to mouth lines. Hate them! Sad
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
jessicahe wrote:
smile more,and massage.

I smile a lot already. I'm getting smile lines! Massage? How?

sbb820 wrote:
Everyday five minutes, the appropriate massage with some improving product

What is considered appropriate massage? What is the improving product? I'm sorry. This is confusing to me. Confused

Yiying wrote:

What eye and mouth serum/cream??? Sorry, but your suggestion is not very helpful as it is not very specific. Why would the cream help to relax muscles?
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
They're called marionette lines and are part of normal aging. I think the only way to fix it is to get a filler like Juvaderm injected.

I heard the term marionette lines before, and didn't know what that was. But I don't have any lines under my mouth. At least not yet. It's just the corners of the mouth look like they curl downward. Maybe it's the beginning of these lines you mentioned?
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
I used to get fillers in my marionette lines, but I started doing the Ageless If You Dare exercises ($10)....my lines were almost eliminated after 3 months, and the corners are no longer turning down like they were. Shock

You can see my pics on page 44 of the Ageless thread on the Tools forum.

I saw your pictures. You looked great. Thanks! Hey, I have Ageless and have done the day 1 and day 2 exercises. Which exercise (from which day) do you think is the best for these lines? I don't have the lines yet, but hope to prevent them from forming by lifting the corners of the mouth up first before the lines start to form. Glad to know Ageless will help with that.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:34 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I used juvaderm on my nasolabial but also I had two little lines at the corners that extended out so we plumped those up at the same time. They weren't marionette lines yet, but if you don't keep them plumped up and turned up, they can be.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:
Yiying wrote:

What eye and mouth serum/cream??? Sorry, but your suggestion is not very helpful as it is not very specific. Why would the cream help to relax muscles?

I know the reason behind these meaningless posts.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Bira,

You are absolutely right about the muscles. I have the same problem and am doing the specific FlexEffect program exercises to overcome the stronger triangularis muscles that pull the mouth corners down. I also am retraining myself to overcome this habit by speaking in front of the mirror and consciously moving my mouth in a different, more attractive, way.

I know what you mean - it makes me look cross even though I am NOT! Good luck to you! Good luck to both of us! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Hi Bira,

You are absolutely right about the muscles. I have the same problem and am doing the specific FlexEffect program exercises to overcome the stronger triangularis muscles that pull the mouth corners down. I also am retraining myself to overcome this habit by speaking in front of the mirror and consciously moving my mouth in a different, more attractive, way.

I know what you mean - it makes me look cross even though I am NOT! Good luck to you! Good luck to both of us! Smile

Hi Fawnie,
Is this an exercise that is not on the video? I only have the video and don't recall any exercise that will move up the corners of my mouth. I'm doing Ageless now as that takes less time but I'm still so bad at trying to complete each day exercises twice a week. I'm aiming to get better. Razz

Oh how do you train yourself to speak differently? I often find myself in an unconscious manner pulling my mouth downward when I'm thinking. It's very annoying.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
Yes, I used juvaderm on my nasolabial but also I had two little lines at the corners that extended out so we plumped those up at the same time. They weren't marionette lines yet, but if you don't keep them plumped up and turned up, they can be.

I'd like to try juvaderm but I'm afraid it will migrate to a different area or it will build up and become a hard line inside my face. Is this unfounded fear?
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Bira,

You could have a handful of issues...

It could be that you have a rather strong triangularis muscle... or one that stays partially engage... either way it can tug down on the corners of the mouth... making for a not so pleasant expression.

So for example, in order to turn my mouth downward I have to actually engage the trinagularis and pull it down. Mine is in fact strong, but through consistent work that fully engages the muscle as well as massage, it generally sets in a relaxed status while remaining toned.

OR, it could be that the muscles at the side or above the lips are in a weakened state (so a ever so slightly stronger trinagularis wins the tug of war so to speak, or the lips just droop for lack of support).. The muscles that you would want to strengthen the most for just specifically this area are the Zygomaticus and the Caninus...

You mention you already have ageless... so I would go to that book and figure out which of her exercises target that area... Granted, it's such a small number of exercises... chances are you would do nicely just doing all of them... Spot training CAN get you into trouble as you may have other issues that you just aren't aware of yet.

I have seen some people that tend to talk this way... Their lips curling down, in fact they tend to have an unnatural smile as well... Often it's some form of learned habit. Perhaps the person once upon a time a condition with their mouth that they preferred to disguise. For example braces, or a an unsightly tooth.

Hope that helps a bit...

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Hi Bira,

You could have a handful of issues...

It could be that you have a rather strong triangularis muscle... or one that stays partially engage... either way it can tug down on the corners of the mouth... making for a not so pleasant expression.

So for example, in order to turn my mouth downward I have to actually engage the trinagularis and pull it down. Mine is in fact strong, but through consistent work that fully engages the muscle as well as massage, it generally sets in a relaxed status while remaining toned.

OR, it could be that the muscles at the side or above the lips are in a weakened state (so a ever so slightly stronger trinagularis wins the tug of war so to speak, or the lips just droop for lack of support).. The muscles that you would want to strengthen the most for just specifically this area are the Zygomaticus and the Caninus...

You mention you already have ageless... so I would go to that book and figure out which of her exercises target that area... Granted, it's such a small number of exercises... chances are you would do nicely just doing all of them... Spot training CAN get you into trouble as you may have other issues that you just aren't aware of yet.

I have seen some people that tend to talk this way... Their lips curling down, in fact they tend to have an unnatural smile as well... Often it's some form of learned habit. Perhaps the person once upon a time a condition with their mouth that they preferred to disguise. For example braces, or a an unsightly tooth.

Hope that helps a bit...

Thank you Claudia. I'm doing all the exercises in Ageless right now. But I need to try to do them every day. I'm embarrassed to do them in front of my boyfriend so when we get together I don't do them. Not talking lol

Yes I think I do have some issues with my mouth. I seem to unconsciously like to pull my mouth together like blowing a kiss but not really. I'd rather stretch it out like I'm going to smile but not quite. Not sure if I'm explaining myself clearly. Regardeless I end up with my mouth in a downward position. So my triangularis muscle I'm sure is strong!

Would trying to consciously stretch my lips in an almost smiling position constantly help to strengthen up the top muscles?
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think it would hurt... And practicing your smile... in a mirror none the less is a good idea.. you will start to learn the position and perhaps hold it properly without the visual que...

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, Claudia, thanks very much. I will try to keep my mouth up to retrain the corners of my mouth not to droop. Razz
flyflyonly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:31 am      Reply with quote
Doing some face exercise would be helpful. Try speaking A-E-I-O-U again and again loudly, and the muscle would come back to your face and therefore lift the corners of mouth soon.
luyan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Regular massage is the most effective, with some compact tirat Products

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
You can spend hundreds on a regular basis on fillers or you can start facial exercises for $10.00.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:04 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |