Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Corners of mouth droop down - how to move them back up?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
Bira, yes Claudia's advice is sound. I have to consciously remember to hold my face in a better "posture".
It's like bodytoning - once you get the feel of it, you automatically stand straighter and hold your body in a more lovely way!

On the FE board there is a thread about "Corners of Mouth Turn Down" that might be of some interest to you.

I try to remember to "move my ears back".....that's the best way I can describe it.....and it really seems to help me keep from skwinching my face up and pulling my mouth down - the corners just seem to lift without any unnnatural expression of the face. The first FE exercise strengthens that movement. The "snarl" exercise strengthens the right muscles too. I don't do the platysma exercises any more because it overstrengthens the downward pull, I think, of my face - at least until I can strengthen the upward-pulling muscles.

I hope this might help you in some way. Please let me know if you come up with any tricks too!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:41 am      Reply with quote
I don't think saying A-E-I-O-U really qualifies as facial exercise, because there is very little resistance involved in making the muscles actually work. They do work to making the expression for sure, but the muscle only has to be partially activated to do so. I think doing a resistance form of exercise would be much better for you.

Flyflyonly - I asked you this before, but where did you learn that A-E-I-O-U was a form of facial exercise? I know back in the Victorian times it was a myth that was touted about alot but there is very little (if any) backing from what I can see on this?
flyflyonly wrote:
Doing some face exercise would be helpful. Try speaking A-E-I-O-U again and again loudly, and the muscle would come back to your face and therefore lift the corners of mouth soon.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:16 am      Reply with quote
Facial massage, facial exercises and good skincare should help! Laughing
sbb820 wrote:
Repeat beyond droop, should do more to massage

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:24 am      Reply with quote
Bira-No, the juvaderm didn't migrate. I have also used restylane in the past on my nasolabial and it didn't migrate either.
I didn't have to keep getting the shots or keep using the filler there because the muscles retrained and relaxed and the filler did bind with the collagen in that area. You only have to use a small amount, maybe a quarter of a syringe and only 10 units of botox. So although the initial cost outlay was about 200 hundred dollars, I only had to do it once so it was so well worth it and an instant fix.

5% products discount

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:54 am      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
I don't think saying A-E-I-O-U really qualifies as facial exercise, because there is very little resistance involved in making the muscles actually work. They do work to making the expression for sure, but the muscle only has to be partially activated to do so. I think doing a resistance form of exercise would be much better for you.

Flyflyonly - I asked you this before, but where did you learn that A-E-I-O-U was a form of facial exercise? I know back in the Victorian times it was a myth that was touted about alot but there is very little (if any) backing from what I can see on this?
flyflyonly wrote:
Doing some face exercise would be helpful. Try speaking A-E-I-O-U again and again loudly, and the muscle would come back to your face and therefore lift the corners of mouth soon.

Try saying it through an up-turn smile.
It's easier for some of us that have jaw problems. I like it. Thanks FLY

Texas
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:24 pm      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:

flyflyonly wrote:

Is there anyway to make this into a resistance exercise? Like maybe holding the corners of the mouth up (or is it down) while saying AEIOU?
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
luyan wrote:
Regular massage is the most effective, with some compact tirat Products

How massage? I can't imagine how a massage can turn the corners of mouth back up! What are tirat products?
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
sbb820 wrote:

Sean, maybe you can help answer my question how massage can help to turn the corners of mouth up since you seemed like you understood her message? Thanks!
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Bira, yes Claudia's advice is sound. I have to consciously remember to hold my face in a better "posture".
It's like bodytoning - once you get the feel of it, you automatically stand straighter and hold your body in a more lovely way!

On the FE board there is a thread about "Corners of Mouth Turn Down" that might be of some interest to you.

I try to remember to "move my ears back".....that's the best way I can describe it.....and it really seems to help me keep from skwinching my face up and pulling my mouth down - the corners just seem to lift without any unnnatural expression of the face. The first FE exercise strengthens that movement. The "snarl" exercise strengthens the right muscles too. I don't do the platysma exercises any more because it overstrengthens the downward pull, I think, of my face - at least until I can strengthen the upward-pulling muscles.

I hope this might help you in some way. Please let me know if you come up with any tricks too!

Thanks, Fawnie! I recall the snarl exercise from the FE tape. I will have to dig that out and do it again. Also thanks for the tip about not doing the platysma exercise. THere is also one of those in Ageless, so maybe I can skip it for a while. I remember that when I do that exercise, I have to tense up my jaws which will probably strengthen my downward pull muscles. grrr Confused
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
Bira-No, the juvaderm didn't migrate. I have also used restylane in the past on my nasolabial and it didn't migrate either.
I didn't have to keep getting the shots or keep using the filler there because the muscles retrained and relaxed and the filler did bind with the collagen in that area. You only have to use a small amount, maybe a quarter of a syringe and only 10 units of botox. So although the initial cost outlay was about 200 hundred dollars, I only had to do it once so it was so well worth it and an instant fix.

Since I don't have the marionette lines yet, I wonder if I might not yet need the fillers. Although I do have a very faint thin line along each side of my nose down to my mouth. I don't know if fillers will fix that though. It's not deep at all. Maybe I have to consult with a doctor. When you said 10 units of botox was that for the downward pull muscles?
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
You can spend hundreds on a regular basis on fillers or you can start facial exercises for $10.00.

I think you're talking about Ageless! I got that. I have to remember to do it more than once a week though. Embarassed
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:17 am      Reply with quote
I don't think massage alone would turn the corners of the mouth up, but I do think it would help wake up the muscles that may have become lazy, by increasing the circulation to them and thus having an effect of helping the mouth corners to go to their correct positioning. It would also strengthen the skin cells up. Sometimes, people engage muscles along the jawline moreso than the upper cheek muscles, and thereby create an imbalance, as those muscles (like any facial muscle) can become pretty strong in a very short space of time.
Bira wrote:
SeanySeanUK wrote:
sbb820 wrote:

Sean, maybe you can help answer my question how massage can help to turn the corners of mouth up since you seemed like you understood her message? Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:21 am      Reply with quote
In relation to applying resistance, it would depend on the muscles you want to work, and in this case, holding the corners up or down would work the mouth muscle, but it might be caused by having a stronger muscle along the jawline, or even having sagging cheek muscles.... in which case applying resistance around the mouth won't aid in that quest, as the resistance would probably be more beneficial if applied to the upper cheek area.

Besides, there are already lots of exercises out there - I think I would use something like Flexefffect or Ageless to target these instead.
Bira wrote:
Is there anyway to make this into a resistance exercise? Like maybe holding the corners of the mouth up (or is it down) while saying AEIOU?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:11 am      Reply with quote
Bira-It only took 10 units total of the botox, 5 for each side. It would also depend on how strong your muscle is and how badly they turn down.
The juvaderm in the nasolabial was to plump it up. I really don't have lines there yet, very faint, but one side wasn't as plump so he just but some volume back in to even it up. I paid for a whole syringe on special so I just redistributed my volume.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sorry but all this facial movement, massaging, creams to bring your face up sounds ludicrous to me. Nothing short of a face lift will move things up. Thats just the way it is.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
Susie... is this your experience? I've seen plenty of people fix their down turned mouths... How many people do you know that have done facial exercises to no avail?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
SusieQ wrote:
I'm sorry but all this facial movement, massaging, creams to bring your face up sounds ludicrous to me. Nothing short of a face lift will move things up. Thats just the way it is.

I don't think it sounds ludicrous at all. I believe before going under the knife, I should try everything else. Did you even see Bethany's pictures in the Ageless thread? I think it's page 44. She is getting great results after a relatively short time of facial exercises. I believe in positive thinking and mind power, too. If you think you can do it, you then can do it. However if you don't believe in it, then you probably won't get any results, so for you, the only alternative is probably a face lift, which is cool. I have a friend who believes only in face lifts, too, and I don't try to change her mind on that. She's entitled to believe what she wants, and I'm happy for her and support whatever she wants to do. I'd support whatever you want to do, too, but being a downer on optimists is not really fun for me.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
Bira-It only took 10 units total of the botox, 5 for each side. It would also depend on how strong your muscle is and how badly they turn down.
The juvaderm in the nasolabial was to plump it up. I really don't have lines there yet, very faint, but one side wasn't as plump so he just but some volume back in to even it up. I paid for a whole syringe on special so I just redistributed my volume.

I'll have to ask my doctor about botox and one of these days, I might also take a shot at juvederm. Wink
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
In relation to applying resistance, it would depend on the muscles you want to work, and in this case, holding the corners up or down would work the mouth muscle, but it might be caused by having a stronger muscle along the jawline, or even having sagging cheek muscles.... in which case applying resistance around the mouth won't aid in that quest, as the resistance would probably be more beneficial if applied to the upper cheek area.

Besides, there are already lots of exercises out there - I think I would use something like Flexefffect or Ageless to target these instead.
Bira wrote:

I think you're right. I should just follow ageless and FE. Now is it normal after doing facial exercise for me to see my skin looking a bit beat up? I feel like my nose to mouth line is even worse after an exercise in Ageless that is supposed to get rid of it.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
I don't think massage alone would turn the corners of the mouth up, but I do think it would help wake up the muscles that may have become lazy, by increasing the circulation to them and thus having an effect of helping the mouth corners to go to their correct positioning. It would also strengthen the skin cells up. Sometimes, people engage muscles along the jawline moreso than the upper cheek muscles, and thereby create an imbalance, as those muscles (like any facial muscle) can become pretty strong in a very short space of time.
Bira wrote:
SeanySeanUK wrote:
sbb820 wrote:

I think I got it, sort of! Thanks, Sean. Very Happy
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
Bira... totally normal... the muscles are small... they make a visual impact on the face...

Think of how your body feels the first time you work out... many will quit the pain can be so bad... others will work through it... and have knock out bodies... Just don't OVERDO it... just like working your body...

5% products discount

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:45 am      Reply with quote
Just to add:
I just started focusing on myself in recent months. I take care of my disabled elderly brother. I'm raising my 2 grandchildren for their mother to got to med school. I do everything I can to make life easier for my Hubby to go to work everyday and have down time when he gets home. I have a lot of animals I take care of and give love to(I get some of the best love back from them) I talk mom-talk to my 2 daughters through their good times and their bad times. BUT, now I take care of me too.
One thing I've noticed is that is that when I'm doing chores or just alone is that I over-relaxed (is that an actual term?) my facial muscles. Like, when my eyes are opened and seeing but not really looking. (gently raise eyebrows and actually LOOK at something to get my meaning) Same thing with my mouth and forehead areas.
Soooooo,just every once in awhile, Think how is my face setting, and correct the way you may be holding it. Sounds funny but after a while, with the thought, it will quickly reset itself to a more alert and less relaxed position and maybe wake up the muscles a bit.
Just a thought.
Texas
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:23 am      Reply with quote
TexasStar thats a great point and true for most people... and its something that I think you definitely do gain an awareness of when a person begins exercising. You find yourself becoming more conscious of engaging certain muscles over time and not using others, and also you really start to notice using your cheek muscles when you smile etc..... which is why I always liken it to an educational process! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Susie... is this your experience? I've seen plenty of people fix their down turned mouths... How many people do you know that have done facial exercises to no avail?
Myself Claudia, myself! I did an oxycise routine for the face for several months and I think all the exaggerated facial expressions only loosened things up around my mouth area. There is nothing I've even read that facial exercises help tone the face.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
SusieQ wrote:
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Myself Claudia, myself! I did an oxycise routine for the face for several months and I think all the exaggerated facial expressions only loosened things up around my mouth area. There is nothing I've even read that facial exercises help tone the face.

SusieQ, I can speak from personal experience that facial exercises can work wonders. Both Ageless and FlexEffect were highly recommended to me, and I am now offically GIVING UP the filler I used to get in my marionette lines 3x a year. The key is using a program that utilizes resistance exercises.

Here are some progression pics for you after only 3 months of facial exercise with resistance techniques...I still have a little ways to go, but I have no doubt that the ML's will be completely eliminated via this method.

bethany wrote:
This was taken 11/27:

This one on 1/25:

And 2/6....

Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |