Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin gets darker from LED?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
pinkberry
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone experienced that or just me.

Lately I have been using the original Lightstim more regularly (every day and 3-5 minutes on each spot treated). Today I am noticing that my face gets a bit darker,given that I haven't been out in the sun that much and I am wearing NIA 24 spf 30 almost everyday, I couldnt really figure out why.

I know I may sound crazy implying that the LED light tans me. I would like to hear if anyone had similar experience?
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting. I'd love to hear what others say . i'm bumping this up for you Smile
Allison_Wonderland
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
You know, I think you may be right. I always wear a high PPD SPF 50 and I've had to go from a light to medium foundation since I started using the LED lights. I didn't make the connection at all until you pointed it out.
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
I stopped using my LED's because it brought out a darkened pigment in my skin on my face.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
What LED do you use Mars and Pinkberry?

Unless you are extemely dark complected or it is causing melasma, I don't think darker skin is a bad thing. One thing I notice about older women who look young...their paler skin sometimes tells closer to their age.

Just a thought.
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
I have the two panel DPL (I think it's DPL). It has red lights. I'm fair, and the light brought out a darkening reddish/brownish color on my face extending from my nostrils and going out. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:08 pm      Reply with quote
This topic is of real interest to me..as I got a small dark pigment spot near my mouth/jaw area when I used the anti-aging LightStim last summer (it was suggested by the manufacturer that I use it every day..and the dark spot came on day 4) I stopped using it when the spot occurred...

but I was going to try one of the Prolight leds in the near future..thinking that it may have been the 4 day in a row protocol from Lightstim that caused the problem.

Now i am concerned that any protocol with an led may cause skin darkening in some people.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:13 pm      Reply with quote
Allison_Wonderland,

Is the skin darkening uniform all over your face? Do you also notice this darkening with any of the clients that you are using the leds on?

Mars,

Is your skin pigmentation returning to it's normal color as you stop using your led?

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
ok333
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:21 am      Reply with quote
I noticed my skin "tanning" after using a red/infrared led daily. Didn't like it, so backed off on the frequency and also length of exposure and it faded.

I have this LED
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:50 am      Reply with quote
I had the opposite effect. My skin got paler and more even toned over 18 months of use, with both the Original + Anti-Aging Lightstim's.

Just an FYI; If you are a Retin-A user, be sure to only use an LED well before applying the RA at bedtime.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Allison_Wonderland
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:01 am      Reply with quote
I have not noticed this on my client's skin. I use the lights more often on my own skin & for longer treatment times. The darkening is just like a tan, but more diffused (not concentrated on cheekbones and nose like a real tan).
pinkberry
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Allison_Wonderland wrote:
I have not noticed this on my client's skin. I use the lights more often on my own skin & for longer treatment times. The darkening is just like a tan, but more diffused (not concentrated on cheekbones and nose like a real tan).

So its not just me going crazy. Allison and OK333 , I think my situation is very similar to yours. I dont have a spot standing out but overall shade gets darker - not what I am after . I will lay the led treatments off for a while see I will get back to my normal color.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:28 am      Reply with quote
I wonder what is causing some people to get the darkening skin tone from using leds.

Any ideas?

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:04 am      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
I wonder what is causing some people to get the darkening skin tone from using leds.

Any ideas?

It doesn't make sense to me because LED's have the opposite effect, and actually break up the melanin, which is then flushed away through the lymphatics. (This is especially the case with the combination of amber/red/infrared.)

I have read that the darker a natural or tanned skin is, the less effective an LED will be, because the light can't penetrate sufficiently...

There has to be a common denominator that those experiencing a darkening of skin have in common, either being applied topically, or the actual skin color to start with.. hmm!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
pinkberry
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy, I hope you are right about LED. But I am conflicting with what I see in the mirror. What kind of the topical would darken the skin then. I do use DIY version of the C serum in the morning then serum then sunsrceen, could the diy c serum be the culprit?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
Like Kassy, I would say that my skin looks lighter from using the AALS. However, I'm not sure that this has anything to do with melanin, more that the device takes away the redness of the skin.

In regard to the onset of brown spots - could this be the LED bringing the spots to the surface of the skin in the same manner that CPs are supposed to do. Brown spots, age spots or kidney spots (whatever you want to call them) are supposed to sit deep in the layers of the skin. Applying CPs brings them to the surface and they will eventually disappear - although this might take some time. Maybe the LED is performing a similar function. Of course, I'm just guessing about this.

In regard to those that are developing a "tan". How come we've not heard about this side-effect before. This is very strange and deserves some more research I think.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi, Jasminerosey, My "darkening" has lessened since I stop my LED.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
This is an interesting discussion. In the process of lightening usually dark spots get to the surface, making skin looking worse, and then they disappear, and the overall appearance improves. It gets worse before getting better. This is especially apparent with IPL treatments when dark pigment raises up to the surface in a matter of days, and skin looks horrible. Could it be that since LEDs are less invasive then other procedures it might take longer time for the process to complete hmm
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
Mpstat,

Have you had experience with dark spots coming to the surfsce during the lightening process..and then disappearing..or do you know people personally who have had that experience?

It's interesting to consider it..but also a bit scary.

mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
Mpstat,

Have you had experience with dark spots coming to the surfsce during the lightening process..and then disappearing..or do you know people personally who have had that experience?

It's interesting to consider it..but also a bit scary.

Yes, I experienced it very long ago after IPL. The dark spots came to the surface rapidly (although I did not have many of them, but they were apparent probably because it was happening so fast), and they were sort of "crunchy". And skin got brighter.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
This is exactly how IPL gets rid of hyperpigmentation. The brown spots come to the surface of the skin (a few days after treatment). They then dry up and flake off.

Both my daughter and I have had several IPL treatments so I can attest to the above. It's definitely a case of looking worse before any improvement.

It could very well be that the LED is having this effect on you but the whole process would probably take much longer.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:38 am      Reply with quote
According to Rita, using the LEDs is somewhat like getting a chemical peel and you need to be extra liberal with the SPF just as you would after a peel. I think perhaps I've not been taking this requirement quite as seriously as I should. I do apply spf, but I don't reapply after work if it's still light outside and I probably should. I generally do a deep exfoliation prior to using the lights, so that the light can penetrate more easily so I need to be more aware of sun exposure anyways. Also the LEDs stimulate cellular metabolism so possibly it's making the melanocytes in my skin more active, as they would be if my skin were in optimal condition.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:07 am      Reply with quote
Allison_Wonderland,
How often do you use your lights?
Toby

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:21 am      Reply with quote
Just chiming in to share that a pre-treatment serum that includes AHA, will get rid of that pesky hyperpigmentation in the long run.

mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Now almost 2 months into using my AALS.... using it everyday the first month and every other day the 2nd month (with lots of water!) I have also had a slight increase in "dark" spots surfacing and existing ones are definitely darker too. I am hoping they will "break up" and dissipate. Kassy...why do you need to space the AALS treatment and Retin A far apart? I thought it was only important to never use the AALS WITH retin A.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |