Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin gets darker from LED?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Now almost 2 months into using my AALS.... using it everyday the first month and every other day the 2nd month (with lots of water!) I have also had a slight increase in "dark" spots surfacing and existing ones are definitely darker too. I am hoping they will "break up" and dissipate. Kassy...why do you need to space the AALS treatment and Retin A far apart? I thought it was only important to never use the AALS WITH retin A.

You would just not apply Retin-A before using an LED.. (Light de-activates it, any light, even from a lamp Shock !) But most of us use it before beddy-bye, so it's not an issue.

I believe the darkening of spots, is because they are being brought to the surface, which would happen with both an LED and retinol products. It takes time to get rid of it, but it's doable (is that a real word .. Embarassed ) AHA is the best thing for the dreaded hyperpigmentation IMHO.

The only other thing I would suggest is being really careful to block the sun both with SPF protection as well as hats, glasses and the like, and total avoidance of the sun when at all possible during the mid day hours.. Any retinol + acid products make us much more susceptible to UV damage.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
mcheng2

Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
mountaingirl wrote:
Now almost 2 months into using my AALS.... using it everyday the first month and every other day the 2nd month (with lots of water!) I have also had a slight increase in "dark" spots surfacing and existing ones are definitely darker too. I am hoping they will "break up" and dissipate. Kassy...why do you need to space the AALS treatment and Retin A far apart? I thought it was only important to never use the AALS WITH retin A.

You would just not apply Retin-A before using an LED.. (Light de-activates it, any light, even from a lamp Shock !) But most of us use it before beddy-bye, so it's not an issue.

I believe the darkening of spots, is because they are being brought to the surface, which would happen with both an LED and retinol products. It takes time to get rid of it, but it's doable (is that a real word .. Embarassed ) AHA is the best thing for the dreaded hyperpigmentation IMHO.

The only other thing I would suggest is being really careful to block the sun both with SPF protection as well as hats, glasses and the like, and total avoidance of the sun when at all possible during the mid day hours.. Any retinol + acid products make us much more susceptible to UV damage.

I try it one the only one side of my side today. My age spots really get worse after one use. I will try to use it for another one week, if lightstim really make my face get worse, I may need to return it. I am glad that I am not the only have this problem. However, if I obtain a positive result, I will post it here later, too.
AnnabelleR

Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:09 am      Reply with quote
Hello,
I got a small dark pigment spot near my mouth/jaw area when I used the anti-aging LightStim last summer (it was suggested by the manufacturer that I use it every day..and the dark spot came on day 4) I stopped using it when the spot occurred....Did i do the right thing???
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this will be helpful to some of our members, but just in case, I'll share it.

My best friend (of a gazillion years) is Asian, when I first got my LED she tried it out when she came down on vacation. She turned 60 in May, is a bit plump, and has just very few fine lines and no real sag to speak of.

What she does have is some dark spots which were the result of acne in her youth. A few are on her cheeks, but many are on her chin.

She liked the LED and went ahead and purchased one. When she uses it on clean skin she has no problem with discoloration. When she tried to use it with any of her typical creams (Nivea for the most part), she has a darkening of these spots/scars. Mostly she claims it's temporary, and all back to normal in a couple of days.

I did make her a serum to try about a year ago, and it didn't result in a darkening of spots. She makes it up herself these days.

- distilled water (80%)
- hyaluronic acid serum (10%)(NCN's retail product!) This is NOT a DIY HA active, it's a serum, that contains HA!
- licorice root extract (2%)
- niacinamide (2%)
- aloe vera gel (6%)

Anyway, just wanted to share in case our Asian members could relate to this.

BTW, the above DIY recipe would be good for anyone to use, but is especially effective on hyperpigmentation long term.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
mcheng2

Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
I'm not sure if this will be helpful to some of our members, but just in case, I'll share it.

My best friend (of a gazillion years) is Asian, when I first got my LED she tried it out when she came down on vacation. She turned 60 in May, is a bit plump, and has just very few fine lines and no real sag to speak of.

What she does have is some dark spots which were the result of acne in her youth. A few are on her cheeks, but many are on her chin.

She liked the LED and went ahead and purchased one. When she uses it on clean skin she has no problem with discoloration. When she tried to use it with any of her typical creams (Nivea for the most part), she has a darkening of these spots/scars. Mostly she claims it's temporary, and all back to normal in a couple of days.

I did make her a serum to try about a year ago, and it didn't result in a darkening of spots. She makes it up herself these days.

- distilled water (80%)
- hyaluronic acid serum (10%)(NCN's retail product!) This is NOT a DIY HA active, it's a serum, that contains HA!
- licorice root extract (2%)
- niacinamide (2%)
- aloe vera gel (6%)

Anyway, just wanted to share in case our Asian members could relate to this.

BTW, the above DIY recipe would be good for anyone to use, but is especially effective on hyperpigmentation long term.

This may explain what happens to me. The spot gets darker in the first day. I really appreciate your experience. I am interested in making the above serum. Where do you usually get those materials? May I buy it on-line?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
mcheng2 wrote:

This may explain what happens to me. The spot gets darker in the first day. I really appreciate your experience. I am interested in making the above serum. Where do you usually get those materials? May I buy it on-line?

I just searched NCN's sight high and low, and can't find the hyaluronic acid serum. I wonder if it was discontinued Sad

The niacinamide and licorice root extract are available at all DIY venue's. I use http://www.lotioncrafters.com which I can highly recommend.

Aloe Vera Gel is available in just about all retail stores. Just look for one that doesn't have a laundry list of filler ingredients.

You can find distilled water in most supermarkets.

daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
yes, skin does get darker with LEDs, at least mine does! I thought it might be some other reason but now that others have mentioned it, I have no doubt about it!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
yes, skin does get darker with LEDs, at least mine does! I thought it might be some other reason but now that others have mentioned it, I have no doubt about it!

daler,

Curious as to how you are using the LED, on bare skin or with any topical product and if so could you share what you are using? Smile

TIA

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
sure, I got the following, its meant for hair regrowth but I did use on my face. Also, sorry, its not LEDs but red lasers and I use/d protective goggles as the laser beam is very bright and it should/must not enter the eyes....however you do not feel any pain or burning on the skin at all, just a nice warming sensation.. I also use it to treat my occasioanl knee pain ( Chondromalacia) and it works wonders!
www.healiohealth.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jofpqnlnq

When I was using it regularly, my skin did turn quite dark ( I have olive skin anyways) I did not make the connection then but I stopped using it as I did not see any improvement ( it does heal cuts pretty fast!). I reused it again few weeks ago for couple of times and noticed the change in my skin tone, stopped using it and after a week or so my skin is back to normal tone...
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for that explanation daler, I see your point about the skin darkening! Glad it does return to normal at least! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
You are welcome DarkMoon; I believe the laser/LEDs energise the skin cells including melanin producing cells just like sunlight would but without the harmful rays...
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
You are welcome DarkMoon; I believe the laser/LEDs energise the skin cells including melanin producing cells just like sunlight would but without the harmful rays...

I think that makes sense, at least to me! Smile

Happy New Year!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Happy New Year to you too and everyone else on this forum! YaY!!!
mcheng2

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
I got some private message about asking for the result of Lightstim.
I only tried the right side of my face for observing the effect of the sun spots.
The first three days, one side of my face turn dark and sun spots become dark, too.
The second week, the sun spots start to fade as the same color as the other side of the face. Two side of my face look similar.
The third week, The sun spots of my right face indeed looks lighter than my left face.
I will try to use it on both sides of my face now. Hope the sun spots will eventually become invisible.
Thanks everyone for sharing their experiences.
cj27282

Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:45 am      Reply with quote
mcheng2 wrote:
I only tried the right side of my face for observing the effect of the sun spots.
The first three days, one side of my face turn dark and sun spots become dark, too.
The second week, the sun spots start to fade as the same color as the other side of the face. Two side of my face look similar.
The third week, The sun spots of my right face indeed looks lighter than my left face.
I will try to use it on both sides of my face now. Hope the sun spots will eventually become invisible.

hi

how long did you use the light for during your experiment?

1. how long? each session, how many times per week? how many weeks??
2. what colour did you use?

Thanks!!
mcheng2

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:33 am      Reply with quote
cj27282 wrote:
mcheng2 wrote:

hi

how long did you use the light for during your experiment?

1. how long? each session, how many times per week? how many weeks??
2. what colour did you use?

Thanks!!

I usually use it half hour for one side my face. Seven days a week. Now is the fourth week.
I use Anti-Aging Light (include three different kinds of rays) of Lightstim.
cj27282

Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:49 am      Reply with quote
Hi

1. Is it the tri-colour light? I.e. blue, red and green altogether in the same time?

2. How close do you place the device to your face? Almost touching or about few inches away?

3. How is the "darkened" skin and spots going now? Have they (both the darkended skin and darkened spots) finally faded away in the 4th week??

Please share your experience.

Many thanks!!!
mcheng2

Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:21 am      Reply with quote
cj27282 wrote:
Hi

1. Is it the tri-colour light? I.e. blue, red and green altogether in the same time?

2. How close do you place the device to your face? Almost touching or about few inches away?

3. How is the "darkened" skin and spots going now? Have they (both the darkended skin and darkened spots) finally faded away in the 4th week??

Please share your experience.

Many thanks!!!

1. Amber, Red & Infrared. You can check their company website.
2. I put it directly on the skin. But if you feel it too hot, you can put it for a short distance.
3. It is better for acne scar. For sun spots, it is fading, but not disappear.
cj27282

Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi

1. What u mean by better for "acne scars"? You mean those raised scars or sunken scars?

2. What about the darkened "skin" (not the sun spots) but darkened skin due to the red LED? Has the skin tone gone back to normal (or perhaps even whiter??) now?

Thanks!
mcheng2

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
cj27282 wrote:
Hi

1. What u mean by better for "acne scars"? You mean those raised scars or sunken scars?

2. What about the darkened "skin" (not the sun spots) but darkened skin due to the red LED? Has the skin tone gone back to normal (or perhaps even whiter??) now?

Thanks!

1. I have some darker spots due to acne which would cause the uneven skin tone. I can see the light have big improvement on this problem.
2. My skin tone does not become brighter or darker. Two sides of my face look the same skin tone now. Only the sun spots are lighter, but not as much as acne spot.
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
I have used various LED devices over the years with NO darkening of the skin noted. I am a very fair PPP as well (pale porcelain princess), lol! Very Happy Laughing
Kandi
5% products discount

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Hi All,
I know this is an old thread, but I'm worried. I just purchased a Lightstim for Wrinkles. I've used it 4 days. My "age spots" on my face have all gotten worse. I've been treating them for years with various topicals and they had faded a bit, but now after 4 days of LIghtstim, they have come back. Some that were nearly completely unnoticable, have returned. I'm horrified.

Can any one tell me if I should keep going; do they get worse before they get better?
rubyJacksonn
5% products discount

Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:41 am      Reply with quote
Just stop using LED.
There are some side effects of LED therapy . The devices may leave the skin pink or flushed for about an hour or so after treatment.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:44 am      Reply with quote
I had a dark spot surface after using the STOP device. I think damage surfaces whe we regenerate our skin. The amount of dark skin that surfaced on my chest after dermaroll ing there was incredible. Skin interventions don't create dark spots from nothing, they bring to the surface what is lying underneath. Lightstim makes my skin creamy and even toned. The only thing that has really seriously gotten rid of dark patches for me is the Reaura laser. As I see it, if we are to rejuvenate our skin, we need a variety of tools to deal with all the issues, both the immediately obvious ones, and those that arise in the process.
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:30 am      Reply with quote
I use the LightStim for Wrinkles, and my skin has become more pale and "creamy" looking. My freckles and minor dark spots seem to be fading. I have not noticed any tanning/darkening. Maybe peoples skin will react different, depending on your ethnicity,age,etc.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |