Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Curling Lashes...always getting a crimp/dent...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Nicki1213
5% products discount

Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:00 am      Reply with quote
So I'm pretty new to these forums, but so far after searching through them I've already found out two great ideas that I want to try out (Buzz On Acne and taking vitamin A pills to help acne subside).

One dilemma that I have always had is that when I try to curl my lashes, no matter how nice the curler is, I seem to get a dent at the base. I don't think that I'm squeezing too hard, as I've tried various pressures, and I've also tried starting at the base and pressing as I moved out towards the end of my lashes...

But alas, I always end up with the dent/crimp. Does anybody else get this? The hair on my head is naturally wavy but takes a curl very easily. Maybe eyelashes are the same way? I don't know what to do. I'd love to be able to curl them, but it just always looks like a right angle with them standing straight up from where the bend is. Arghhh...

One product that I have seen and was considering purchasing is the Revlon heated lash curler. Has anyone tried this and had success?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:01 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I'm in the same boat as you, I tend to get crimps in my eyelashes when I try to curl them, I'd appreciate some advice too!
moonstone
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:33 am      Reply with quote
You can try the following method and see if it helps.

First, gently place the curler over your eye and at the base of the lashes. Squeeze, being careful not to catch your skin. Hold briefly, then release. The important thing is to curl in small sections (starting from the base of the lashes and going outwards), rather than curl all your lashes at once.

Btw, I have a heated eyelash curler before and it's just a waste of money. It will do the same trick by just running your blow dryer over the curler for a few seconds. ( Be careful with your delicate eye skin and make sure to test the curler on your wrist before using it on your eye. Wink

HTH
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:49 am      Reply with quote
You have to 'walk' the curler up the lashes, starting at the base. Squeeze, move up a tiny bit, squeeze, move up a tiny bit, and so on.

Also, the infamous Shu Uemera (sp?) has a curved edge to its curler sponge rather than the straight edge of most d/s curlers to avoid the dented look.

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:51 am      Reply with quote
I think a couple tips that are helpful are not squeezing too hard and to long. Also curlers really do vary so you may need to try a few. I like sephora's on the go, its cheap but seems to work better then more expensive one's.
Nicki1213
5% products discount

Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the quick responses...I really appreciate it. I have been eyeing the Shu Uemera curler for a little but am trying to justify the price in my head. The sephora brand curler is probably a cheaper alternative, I think I'll just have to go to the mall and test some of them out.

Thanks also for the info about the heated curler. I don't think I'll be purchasing that if you guys say it's a waste.

Also heard about Diorshow Iconic mascara...supposedly this is supposed to curl lashes like a curler would but without the struggle while at the same time (obviously) putting a coat of mascara on there. Something to check out, I guess!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
whenever i get a dent or crimp in my eyelashes its when ive pressed down too hard

try doing it a bit more softly, and walking it out so that you dnt concentrate pressure on any one point - thats what creates the 'dent'
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
Oh I know what you mean and it looks so fake, doesn't it! I gave up curling altogether and use Shiseido Lasting Lift mascara - gives amazing lift and doesn't flake or smudge - in fact I have a debbil of a time getting it off even with oil!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
im using the revlon heater curler, it is better than the manual curler. the curl is very natural and u can control the curl.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:37 am      Reply with quote
Quit using a curler and use your fingers to curl your lashes...you can train them to have more of a natural curl. No crimp, no broken weakened lashes, no pinched skin! Soooooo much better!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:13 am      Reply with quote
Nicki1213 wrote:
Also heard about Diorshow Iconic mascara...supposedly this is supposed to curl lashes like a curler would but without the struggle while at the same time (obviously) putting a coat of mascara on there. Something to check out, I guess!

I have tried Dior Iconic and didnt care for it all. It didnt seem to do anything special. Personally I think Cover Girl lash blast was way better.
Nicki1213
5% products discount

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:56 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
Nicki1213 wrote:

I have tried Dior Iconic and didnt care for it all. It didnt seem to do anything special. Personally I think Cover Girl lash blast was way better.

I have tried Lash Blast so far, along with the L'oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes. The lash blast is great, it make my lashes look fake... but the double extend tubes that every one is talking about (not necessarily on here) made my lashes fall out. I was at Walgreens and a woman behind me was completely made up (leopard dress and thigh high black leather boots) but without the mascara. She was purchasing a single tube of double extend and I told her about how when I took it off some lashes fell out, and that i'd heard others say the same.. but she didn't seem to mind this!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
moonstone wrote:
You can try the following method and see if it helps.

First, gently place the curler over your eye and at the base of the lashes. Squeeze, being careful not to catch your skin. Hold briefly, then release. The important thing is to curl in small sections (starting from the base of the lashes and going outwards), rather than curl all your lashes at once.

Btw, I have a heated eyelash curler before and it's just a waste of money. It will do the same trick by just running your blow dryer over the curler for a few seconds. ( Be careful with your delicate eye skin and make sure to test the curler on your wrist before using it on your eye. Wink

HTH

I heard the same about starting at the base and moving outward little by little. Don't squeeze too hard or the lashes will crimp.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:
You have to 'walk' the curler up the lashes, starting at the base. Squeeze, move up a tiny bit, squeeze, move up a tiny bit, and so on.

Also, the infamous Shu Uemera (sp?) has a curved edge to its curler sponge rather than the straight edge of most d/s curlers to avoid the dented look.

Oh yeah, it was called 'walking' the curler. I remember the term now after reading your post.

I bought the Shu curler and was sorely disappointed. It didn't do a better job than my drugstore brand curler despite being 5 times more expensive.
semayden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:50 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip about 'walking the curler out' to avoid that crimped dent look.

I was practising (the wrong way!) last night - and got so frustrated as the more I kept trying to re-curl, the more scrumpled my lashes became!

I have a strange problem in that my left lashes are not only slightly longer/fuller than my right - but also respond better to the curler! I don't know what's going on there - but it's annoying!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:11 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |