Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Tooth whitening ?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lilybear
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know why some of the teeth whitening systems out there make the teeth so white and others more of a white that is more normal looking? Sometimes on TV there are people whose teeth are blinding white, do you know what I mean? I would like to get my teeth done but I don't want it to look like a glow worm!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
lilybear wrote:
Does anyone know why some of the teeth whitening systems out there make the teeth so white and others more of a white that is more normal looking? Sometimes on TV there are people whose teeth are blinding white, do you know what I mean? I would like to get my teeth done but I don't want it to look like a glow worm!

People with blindingly white teeth usually have non-translucent caps/veneers. Regular whitening gels (at a dentist or otherwise) typically don't accomplish that level of whiteness.

Editing to add:

I have used this company for custom trays and gels for several years and have been very pleased. Definitely better than some of the drugstore options I initially tried. And no, I do not work there. Very Happy

http://professionalteethwhitening.com/

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
Personally I've noticed that when people do the Zoom whitening they look a little freaky. I think that's popular with Hollywood. I've done bleaching with trays (before I got my veneers) and I was quite happy with it. It takes more time but I like my results, you can always buy more bleach and do touchups from time to time.
Some veneers can be very well done. I like my own veneers but I did go to a good dentist and had them made to measure a very reputable company.
Hahaha if you've ever seen "Style by Jury" on the Canadian W channel chances are you've seen some weird looking teeth. The veneers they give the makeover subjects look like blindingly white dentures. So yeah Lilybear and Bethany I know what you guys are talking about.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

I have used this company for custom trays and gels for several years and have been very pleased. Definitely better than some of the drugstore options I initially tried. And no, I do not work there. Very Happy

bethany, do you think this would be good for people with sensitive teeth? I'm not able to use the over the counter whitening strips because if I do then I can't open my mouth for hours afterwards because even the air hitting my teeth cause me alot of pain. My teeth are pretty white naturally, but I'm one of those people that would love freakish white teeth. Right now I'm brushing for a couple mins each night with Gly-Oxide before using regular toothpaste because I read on another thread that it whitens teeth. Seems to be helping but very slowly. I'd love to find something that works quicker.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
bethany wrote:

bethany, do you think this would be good for people with sensitive teeth? I'm not able to use the over the counter whitening strips because if I do then I can't open my mouth for hours afterwards because even the air hitting my teeth cause me alot of pain. My teeth are pretty white naturally, but I'm one of those people that would love freakish white teeth. Right now I'm brushing for a couple mins each night with Gly-Oxide before using regular toothpaste because I read on another thread that it whitens teeth. Seems to be helping but very slowly. I'd love to find something that works quicker.

Wow...if you can't use the OTC strips, I would NOT recommend this place. They have some of the strongest gel out there!

There are some low-sensitivity gels available, but I do not know if they carry them or not...it might be worth an email them to them.

Or, you might want to look at SuperSmile toothpaste that uses an entirely different process to lighten teeth via a toothpaste (I have that too).

Question - Does this sensitivity show up immediately for you, like after 1 usage of the strips? Or does it take longer?

One of the easiest ways to avoid typical sensitivity is to use the strips every other day instead of daily...I do the same with my trays, or my teeth get sensitive too. And keep in mind that this stuff is only meant to be used periodically.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
bethany wrote:

I'm sensitive to the Crest Whitestrips. I tried only 3 strips over 3 days, and could not continue. My teeth got so sensitive days after that. I returned the product.
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Question - Does this sensitivity show up immediately for you, like after 1 usage of the strips? Or does it take longer?

If I leave it on for the indicated time (20 mins?) then it only takes once. It's the tips of my teeth that get sensitive. I wonder if maybe the tips of my teeth are ground off so the gel is able to absorb into the tooth or something. At least that's what it felt like. I had to keep my mouth closed with my tongue over the tips of my teeth. And if I did happen to open my mouth I had to keep a cloth handy because as soon as the air hit my teeth I would start drooling. Confused It was not a pretty sight. Something I won't forget soon.

Thanks for bringing Supersmile to my attention. I haven't read any reviews on it so I'll have to do a search and see what it says about tooth sensitivity. I've also been thinking about reading up on GoSmile too.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:
I'm sensitive to the Crest Whitestrips. I tried only 3 strips over 3 days, and could not continue. My teeth got so sensitive days after that. I returned the product.

Yep...3 days in a row is too much for many people. The key is to skip a day (or 2) between treatments.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
Lilybear, Diana and others interested in tooth whitening -
I would suggest using a toothpaste for sensitive teeth for about a week before trying the whitestrips (again). This should help seal off the dentinal tubules and decrease sensitivity reactions. After a week of twice daily use try the whitestrips and alternate days.

Whitestrips are one of the gentlest means of whitening (that is effective) out there. I was probably the one who recommended gly-oxide. Gly-oxide will whiten somewhat when you brush it on. I use it for decreasing red wine stain and coffee stain. You could also try a make-your-own tooth whitening tray and putting the gly-oxide in it to keep it closer to the tooth. Try using it for half hour and see how it works. Avoid getting this on the gum tissue.

Another option that is easy is to use Auro ear drops for whitening. Some think this is better than gly-oxide. They both contain carbimide peroxide which allows for whitening. The longer they stay in contact with the tooth the more they will work.

HTH.
twdollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
i used crest white stripes (5min) and they were fine for the two weeks (once a day)...

but after they became so sensitive that when i smiled outside and cold wind blew, my teeth hurt like hell.

Definitely don't recommend them unless you have seriously strong teeth. (mine were never sensitive to the cold in the first place)

I have hear good things about Gosmile tho...okay for sensitive. check that out:)
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
If I leave it on for the indicated time (20 mins?) then it only takes once. It's the tips of my teeth that get sensitive. I wonder if maybe the tips of my teeth are ground off so the gel is able to absorb into the tooth or something. At least that's what it felt like. I had to keep my mouth closed with my tongue over the tips of my teeth. And if I did happen to open my mouth I had to keep a cloth handy because as soon as the air hit my teeth I would start drooling. Confused It was not a pretty sight. Something I won't forget soon.

Thanks for bringing Supersmile to my attention. I haven't read any reviews on it so I'll have to do a search and see what it says about tooth sensitivity. I've also been thinking about reading up on GoSmile too.

Ugh...that sounds horrid! I would definitely stay away from any product that is even remotely similar. Sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:41 am      Reply with quote
I have the same problem - super sensitivity to those over the counter strips - just like above, after using the strips my teeth are oh so sensitive, that can't open my mouth - air is too much.

I wanted to do the whitening, but at the dentist it's freaking too expensive - it starts at $400 + measuring, + tray and what not.
moonstone
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:59 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
I have the same problem - super sensitivity to those over the counter strips - just like above, after using the strips my teeth are oh so sensitive, that can't open my mouth - air is too much.

I wanted to do the whitening, but at the dentist it's freaking too expensive - it starts at $400 + measuring, + tray and what not.

Tooth sensitivity is a common side effect of lots of tooth whitening products. (I have similar problems even with the expensive dentist's whitening system...)

I heard the sensitivity can be reduced dramatically with the use of desensitizing gel when whitening teeth.

You can check it out at dentist(DOT)net .
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried several times to whiten my teeth and nothing has ever made a huge dramatic long lasting difference. Usually it looks great for 2 weeks then eventually it goes back to almost normal. Zoom have the best immediate result but the results did not last. I found that nite white lasted longer, but only the 22% concentration where you leave it for no more than an hour a day. The 16% where you sleep with it didnt make my teeth as white as I wanted. I think that when you seem fake teeth its usually those veneers which are often too white. I don't think that dental whitening can achieve a long lasting fake look.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
Some people over do whitening, even with at home trays, this can make teeth look oddly white or even damage teeth.

I was told Zoom was good to 'jump start' the whitening but you had to do maintenance with the trays at home otherwise it wont last.
happier2009
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
I heard from my dentist that tooth whitening staff will damage the teeth. Sad
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
Every type of whitening procedure - in-office, trays, whatever needs to be maintained. Everyday foods and drink have the potential to continue the staining of the tooth surface. If it stains a white carpet it can cause surface stain on your teeth.

Sensitivity is a common sequelae of bleaching and the best way to avoid it is to be smart - don't overdo times, use a toothpaste for sensitive teeth. Sensitivity due to bleaching is almost always a temporary thing fortunately.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Bira wrote:

Yep...3 days in a row is too much for many people. The key is to skip a day (or 2) between treatments.

Instructions though want you to use whitestrips twice a day, morning and evening, every day for 2 weeks. I only did it once a day, and by the 3rd day, I discontinued.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Lilybear, Diana and others interested in tooth whitening -
I would suggest using a toothpaste for sensitive teeth for about a week before trying the whitestrips (again). This should help seal off the dentinal tubules and decrease sensitivity reactions. After a week of twice daily use try the whitestrips and alternate days.

Whitestrips are one of the gentlest means of whitening (that is effective) out there. I was probably the one who recommended gly-oxide. Gly-oxide will whiten somewhat when you brush it on. I use it for decreasing red wine stain and coffee stain. You could also try a make-your-own tooth whitening tray and putting the gly-oxide in it to keep it closer to the tooth. Try using it for half hour and see how it works. Avoid getting this on the gum tissue.

Another option that is easy is to use Auro ear drops for whitening. Some think this is better than gly-oxide. They both contain carbimide peroxide which allows for whitening. The longer they stay in contact with the tooth the more they will work.

HTH.

What's Euro ear drops? Is that really ear drops meant for ear infection?
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:37 am      Reply with quote
I will check out the desensitizing gel - never heard of it before. But actually not all whitening uses bleach in it.
Some use soda etc, as far as I heard and are not as damaging as bleach is.

Mind you bleach considered a possible carcinogenic is not something I want to put in my mouth....
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:

Hi, Bira -
I'm looking at my tube of Auro ear drops, and it says "Earwax Removal Aid". I dribble a little bit on my toothbrush, along with toothpaste, and just brush with it. I have sensitive teeth (can't use the Crest whitestrips without incredible pain), and the Auro did not bother me at all! It doesn't taste bad at all, either. I'm not sure I'll buy it again, though...the whitening effect, at least for me, was disappointing. Same goes for the Gly-Oxide, even when I applied it with a mouthguard (to hold it against the teeth). Sister sweets, do you have any tips for me? Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
Bira wrote:

Hi, Bira -
I'm looking at my tube of Auro ear drops, and it says "Earwax Removal Aid". I dribble a little bit on my toothbrush, along with toothpaste, and just brush with it. I have sensitive teeth (can't use the Crest whitestrips without incredible pain), and the Auro did not bother me at all! It doesn't taste bad at all, either. I'm not sure I'll buy it again, though...the whitening effect, at least for me, was disappointing. Same goes for the Gly-Oxide, even when I applied it with a mouthguard (to hold it against the teeth). Sister sweets, do you have any tips for me? Rolling Eyes

Thanks Nadjazz for the clarification on the Euro Ear Drops. I wonder why something meant for ear wax removal would whiten teeth. Confused
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:53 am      Reply with quote
happier2009 wrote:
I heard from my dentist that tooth whitening staff will damage the teeth. Sad

It is possible with over use for whitening products to damage teeth.
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:57 am      Reply with quote
this is what the dentist gives you. THIS brand. only the dentist will charge $30 for it. Ebay for less than $20!!! SAME STUFF. SAME BRAND. I use this and the boil and bite trays which is adequate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAY-WHITE-ACP-9-5-TEETH-TOOTH-WHITENING-4-PACK-NEW-WOW_W0QQitemZ260382516469QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item260382516469&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Boil n bite
http://cgi.ebay.com/Teeth-Whitening-Boil-and-Bite-Bleaching-Trays_W0QQitemZ250396090746QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250396090746&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

The dentist charges $300 for the custom trays they make and say that is the best way to get them all white. But now Ebay has sellers that make these for you. $33!! Used to be $60-$100 so it is really going down. I have not tried this yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CUSTOM-TRAYS-TEETH-TOOTH-WHITENING-BLEACHING_W0QQitemZ250393276218QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250393276218&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1308|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

But you can spend $300-$400 at the dentist or get the same stuff send to your home for $30-$60

And this is way better than Zoom or Bright Smile because you can touch up as often as you want. Those procedures cost ya $600 every six months.

You can do it all now for so much less. Stay away from Carbamide Peroxide. It burns so much after awhile. Use Hydrogen P. So when you see the numbers in the 30s like 38 that is CP. You want 7.5% or 9.5% numbers. That is HP.

Now I also discovered an EVEN CHEAPER way to do it. Now I use it for touch ups in between. I used the Daywhite to get them as white as I could and then I was looking in Walgreens and found this on sale. Natural White 5 Minute Whitening. On sale for $2!! I thought why not? It works very well! the trays are awful though and don't fit. But I had my boil n bites and used those. After a couple of treatments my teeth were gleaming again. I'm a coffee drinker and a smoker so I have to touch up a bit more. I went back to Walgreens to stock up and it was down to $1.50!! So I bought 5! If I use this regularly I don't think I'll have to go back to DayWhite. Remember get the boil n bite trays, don't use the systems.

Some others swear by it. Read the reviews:
http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_261317_lornamead_5_minute_tooth_whitening_system_reviews#bz-model-reviewTitle
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:
Diana P wrote:
bethany wrote:

You must stay away from the Carbomide PEroxide then. That stuff is strong and usually burns. I am not that sensitive and I have blistered from it. I only use Hydrogen Peroxide. As I said if you see numbers like 38% then those are CP numbers. HP is under 10% However I know that Crest Strips and anything store bought are only 3% so you really are sensitive.

I honestly don't know what the Natural White is but the customers were saying that some were usually sensitive people and did not have a problem with it.

So see if you can find it at Walgreens. $2! Can't beat that!

But before you do, I was given advice by my dentist before to use a enamel building (Pronamel) toothpaste or flouride treatments (flouride gel in trays for 30 minutes) for 2 weeks BEFORE you try and bleach your teeth. To prevent damage to your teeth (as another member was concerned about) you can use the Pronamel as your toothpaste. Sensedyne is the other enamel building TP but they say stop after a week or so.

So ANYONE concerned with protecting their enamel so they can bleach their teeth, use Pronamel can be used AS your toothpaste daily.

So I would try treating your teeth first. You can buy the flouride treatment they use at the office in stores but it seems easier to just use that TP I mentioned.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |