Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Teenage boy's blackheads - what to do?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:32 am      Reply with quote
My nephew has blackheads on his nose. He asked me about what to do. I lent him my soap to cleanse his face, and let him use some of my AHA/BHA. Then what? I just realized I never had to deal with blackheads before in my life! Please help.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:54 am      Reply with quote
bump
lilybear
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
Bira, from experience I can say, Epidermx II is the best! EDS does sell it and it is on sale right now at http://www.greatnewskin.com/index2.html they just extended their sale to Monday.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the recommendation. I can't find Epidermix II on EDS. Is that the brand name?

Does anyone know if clearasil works on blackheads? I had not seen blackheads until my nephew showed me. They looked quite horrible. Confused
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
look under Naturderm Smile its there
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks! I found the product and also found a review by Manslayerliz. I didn't read all the pages, but it seems liz was impressed by it.

So what caused blackheads? Just dirty skin? So it should clear up with exfoliation and good cleansing????????????
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
Bira, here is a good article to tell you about blackheads.

http://dermatology.about.com/cs/acnecomedones/a/comedones.htm

My son has battled acne since he was in the 5th grade. The first product that worked was an AHA product (glycolix). He also loved the ZO TE pads and the Fresh Umbrian Clay soap. He is a boy, so he does not want to do a lot of stuff to his face. Your nephew maybe the same, and may not want to use an microdermabrasion product (Epidermx) on his skin. My son was happy with the pads that you could just swipe on and be done with!
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
BHA is particularly good at penetrating pores where blackheads start.

I know it's probably too much of an extravagance for a teenager, but the Clarisonic would be a super gift for his parents to give him. Failing that, how about a microfiber cloth for exfoliating? Nothing too fussy about that.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
My first guess would be that boys generally don't get the advise regarding facial cleansing as girls do. So, he might just have a build up that could easily be cleared out with some good habits set in place.

If he doesn't have bad acne, I think the recommendation for a derm cloth is great. A good cleanser, perhaps one with SA 1-2%, and a cloth, plus a toner/lotion with AHA, just might do the trick.

I would start with the least amt. of product as possible... but since he asked... he's likely to be open to a handful of options... I know far too many young men that just don't care...

Chances are that as his hormones are changing and increasing, his oil production is increasing as well... (hormone & skin imbalances aren't just for girls...)

Good luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Bira, here is a good article to tell you about blackheads.

http://dermatology.about.com/cs/acnecomedones/a/comedones.htm

My son has battled acne since he was in the 5th grade. The first product that worked was an AHA product (glycolix). He also loved the ZO TE pads and the Fresh Umbrian Clay soap. He is a boy, so he does not want to do a lot of stuff to his face. Your nephew maybe the same, and may not want to use an microdermabrasion product (Epidermx) on his skin. My son was happy with the pads that you could just swipe on and be done with!

Thank you so much for the article. I forwarded the link to my nephew.

I found I have Oxy pads which I bought for my boyfriend when he comes to my house. I think I'll let my nephew have some of these to try and see if they could help clean his face. I wonder if it is too harsh for his skin though. It has SA maybe 1-2%. I don't think he wants to mess with his skin too much either. He never used to cleanse his face at all except in the shower.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:
BHA is particularly good at penetrating pores where blackheads start.

I know it's probably too much of an extravagance for a teenager, but the Clarisonic would be a super gift for his parents to give him. Failing that, how about a microfiber cloth for exfoliating? Nothing too fussy about that.

Maybe I should get just BHA for him. When I let him use my AHA/BHA, he complained that it burned.

They have a cheaper version of Clarisonic type machine like the Neutrogena Wave or the Dove Skin Vitalizer. Maybe he should try that and see if he'd like it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
My first guess would be that boys generally don't get the advise regarding facial cleansing as girls do. So, he might just have a build up that could easily be cleared out with some good habits set in place.

If he doesn't have bad acne, I think the recommendation for a derm cloth is great. A good cleanser, perhaps one with SA 1-2%, and a cloth, plus a toner/lotion with AHA, just might do the trick.

I would start with the least amt. of product as possible... but since he asked... he's likely to be open to a handful of options... I know far too many young men that just don't care...

Chances are that as his hormones are changing and increasing, his oil production is increasing as well... (hormone & skin imbalances aren't just for girls...)

Good luck!

I think you're right. He did seem pretty open to suggestions. He seemed lost! And so was I. lol I do have Oxy pads which have SA, so I'll let him try that one, too. I think my AHA/BHA combo was too much for him. He complained it burned.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
Well.. I would just make sure it's just a sting... and not a bad reaction... redness, inflammation that doesn't go away quickly...

Men have so much to learn... don't they KNOW what we go through to be beautiful... it's not all painless...LOL!

But he is young. So, I wouldn't want to do anything to damage his skin. No need to peel his face off... but a sting is common among many products... What was he washing his face with in the shower... and is that just once a day? Which is fine... but it's likely in the morning before school??? Does he work out, sports or anything? If so, that's likely his problem... you can't go and do a heavy, sweaty workout and not cleanse your face. It does not have to be stripped. But you have to get the days grime off... not go to bed, and grind it all into your skin.

Clean sheets are another EASY thing for him to make sure he has. (which is likely to make sure his WHOLE body stays breakout free!)

I think it's awesome that he asked for help... especially around a potentially embarrassing situation... sounds like a maturing young man!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:44 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |