Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Long term use of Retin A and hair loss
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:57 am      Reply with quote
I've been dealing with some excessive hair loss for the last 4 or so years, so I'm examining everything I do to try to determine the cause. I've been a Retin A user for about 22 years. I'm curious if any other LONG TERM USERS of Retin A (15 years or more) have had a problem with hair loss. Let's compare notes....

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:28 am      Reply with quote
I am not a long term user of Retin-A, and will never be, because I experienced acute hair loss after having used a 0.025 % Tretinoin gel for two months. I told about it in the thread below

- I used Tretinoin gel and started losing hair
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=31107&highlight=tretinoin+hair

I am convinced that tretinoin creams can cause hair loss with some people.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
Are you all taking other sorts of medication which could be causing hair loss? or could it be hormonal?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:59 am      Reply with quote
I've been a RetinA user for some 30 years plus and then some, and have never experienced hair loss. Mind you I've got a great derm, who if I did I would speak to immediately. From what I have read though, people often complain that they grow hair from Retin A useage.
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:01 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
I've been a RetinA user for some 30 years plus and then some, and have never experienced hair loss. Mind you I've got a great derm, who if I did I would speak to immediately. From what I have read though, people often complain that they grow hair from Retin A useage.

yes , i read that retin a helps hair regrowth in minoxidil. but lots of people says hair thinning and recently my hair has been thinning which i think is due to my hormones. so i think i shall not stop retin a.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:43 am      Reply with quote
Been using Retin-A for a long time too, but I did not have any hair loss that some members are experiencing. I think it has got to do with perhaps hormonal changes, diet, stress, lifestyles and other things...
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
Recently i added shea butter to my current moisturiser, i noticed my hair beginning to thin (i have thin hair from the start). Also there was a stinging and slight burning sensation on my face which could be felt in my scalp.

i also read that some oils do push retin a down into the dermis. and vit a in excess would thin hair. i wonder is this the case? but i am using it on face and not scalp, how could this happen? i am also using minoxidil i have to add.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:00 am      Reply with quote
The oils that can push actives deep down into the derma are only capable of pushing the oils deeper. If you are working with a derm then its most unlikely that you would be using an amount that is in excess.

I think in your case there is a lot of stuff going on and hormones are definitely something that impacts hair loss, as is pregnancy, divorce etc. Anything that puts the body into stress has that potential.
Salome_B wrote:
Recently i added shea butter to my current moisturiser, i noticed my hair beginning to thin (i have thin hair from the start). Also there was a stinging and slight burning sensation on my face which could be felt in my scalp.

i also read that some oils do push retin a down into the dermis. and vit a in excess would thin hair. i wonder is this the case? but i am using it on face and not scalp, how could this happen? i am also using minoxidil i have to add.
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:15 am      Reply with quote
i am neither married nor pregnant.

i wait half an hr after cleansing b4 applying a pea size retin a.

recently the only product i introduced was a ha serum which i have stopped.

the shea butter and moisturiser is the one i have using all the while.

My hair was fine recently it started thinning more so retin a has nothing to do with it right? and my above skin care routine will not affect my hair right?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:01 am      Reply with quote
Salome_B I never said you were married or pregnant, I was simply giving examples of stressful situations so you could understand better. Have never felt stress in your life?

No one can say for sure if what you have been doing will effect your hair which is why you should seek a professional's opinion.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
I am convinced that my hair loss was hormonal and not from Retin A usage. It is not so much of a problem now that I am on bio-identical hormones again. I was on them for years, but they were not closely monitored and my levels were all wacked out so I finally got off them for a few years. The hair loss was bad during that time. Now that I am menopausal, I am taking just the right amount of bio-identical hormones and overall feeling much better. My hair loss now seems "normal," but I've never recovered what I lost. I also sleep through the night now, thanks to the progesterone. I went YEARS without a good nights sleep...but its not a problem any more!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
I have AGA and i am currently very stressed. i was having menses maybe its hormonal? i am quite particular about my hair so if there is anything linked to hair loss i would be the first to check out that item. i will be visiting my pcos dr to see what she can do other than birth control
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone got their thyroid checked?
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:

mine is normal. dun think this is the reason. i checked it twice.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:

Mine is normal too.

EthelM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
Excess vitamin A in the body can indeed cause hair loss. Have your blood levels checked, as it is certainly possible for additional vitamin A (i.e. tretinoin) to be the culprit in hair loss.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:22 pm      Reply with quote
I am a long term retin-a user.. I have not experienced hair loss, BUT I have stumbled upon others who have randomly reading on the internet. I would take a break for six months and see if you get any new growth.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:07 am      Reply with quote
I don't understand. How do you lose hair if you don't apply retin-a on your scalp?
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:36 am      Reply with quote
EthelM wrote:
Excess vitamin A in the body can indeed cause hair loss. Have your blood levels checked, as it is certainly possible for additional vitamin A (i.e. tretinoin) to be the culprit in hair loss.

Good poinr Ethel!

Skincare: Retin A would get stored in the liver.

Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
Oh wow! Maybe this is the reason why my doctor told me to have it on four hours a day.
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
using a pea size and not take vitamin a supplement should be ok.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
Salome_B wrote:

That is good to hear! I've been doing it right.
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
Salome_B wrote:

That is good to hear! I've been doing it right.

this is what i do. i hope it will be ok
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:28 am      Reply with quote
I also hear hair loss is due to stress or dramatic event that happened about 3 months ago

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:30 am      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
I also hear hair loss is due to stress or dramatic event that happened about 3 months ago

well i had lasik and a month after my eye cornea tore for the first time. i did sort of felt shock then my hair started to thin. is this possible?
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:37 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |