Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

MUST SEE Movies....
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:17 am      Reply with quote
I get out about once a month to a movie so when I do I want to see something GREAT. Most of the oscar winners I missed because I just could not see all of them.

So if anyone has any suggestions on what you've seen lately that is really good, please say so here. Even DVDs would be great. I did not go out to the movies at all during the summer so DVDs out now I am completely unfamiliar with.

Sometimes those Sleepers are really good. Movies you never really heard about but were very good like independent movies.

This could turn into a long thread to just keep up with good movies.

I just rented The Reader but have not seen it yet. I know that is how Kate Winslet won her Oscar for Best Actress. I'm watching tonight. Anyone seen that? An I am on a wait list for Netflix when The Wrestler comes out. THAT is not one that I would have ever considered seeing but it got so much buzz about the movie and Mickey Rourke's performance I could not resist.

What I did see Benjamin Button was too long and not as good as I thought it would be. Maybe too much hype. I saw Milk and the acting was amazing and I do think that Sean Penn deserved to win but I did not see all the other performances so maybe not.

Anyway..Movie Talk!
havana8

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:58 am      Reply with quote
Good thread, Wendy! Here's a start...

The Lives of Others is superb--moving, riveting and unsettling.
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Movies are my favourite topic Very Happy

Wendy you should enjoy The Reader, but The Wrestler was a waste of time IMO. The story line was typical Hollywood boiler plate format zzzzzz.

Agree with Havana8 - The Lives of Others is a fantastic movie.

My taste lies mostly in foreign movies and if you don't mind reading sub-titles, I have quite a few favourites, but I won't post them yet, just in case you're not interested.

One TV series I would highly recommend is "The Wire" which I believe is now out in DVD boxed set. Completely addictive, extremely well acted, rich characters, well written and a TV masterpiece!).
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Oh no I love a good foreign film. The last one I saw and I don't even think that it is considered foreign because the director also directed Finding Neverland but it is The Kite Runner. Most of the movie is sub titled and they speak Arabic. I read the book and that is one of the few movies that stayed true to its form and that is hard to do with a good book. Hollywood usually messes them up.

Oh wait I just saw Happy Go Lucky. It IS foreign but English.

Last one before that was the one that Penelope Cruise was in. It was Spanish (obviously) and he they killed her husband who had abused her daughter somehow. They tried to cover it up. It was really good. Volver was the title.

"Like Water for Chocolate" is one of my favorites and I know its more about legend but it was so romantic.

I have a 17 yr old daughter that likes foreign films thankfully or I would be forced to see them alone.

So please list anything you think is good.

I go to RottenTomatoes.com and they have all the top critics so if it is above 90% I usually trust it. The Wrestler got like 97%!!! So I thought if the most particular critics (who I usually agree with) think it is so great, it must be. HOWEVER it is still better to hear it from peers.
havana8

Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
That's great because The Lives of Others is German with English subtitles. Smile
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
Oh my goodness Wendy, so glad you like foreign movies and that you liked The Kite Runner (loved it!). I also loved "Volver", so looks like we have similar taste!!

The Wrestler was so damned predictable, that's why I didn't like it.

Anyway...here's just a sampling of some movies I really loved and stayed with me long after I watched:

"Festen" (Danish)
"Once were Warriors" (Australian, or maybe it was NZ?)
"Baenken" (aka "The Bench") also Danish
"Gomorra" (Italian)
"Cinema Paradiso" (Italian)
"Rabbit Proof Fence" (Australian)
"Sophie Scholl" (German)

I always check movies out on IMDB before I bother with them http://www.imdb.com/

That list should keep you going for awhile Laughing
havana8

Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
I second Sophie Scholl and Rabbit Proof Fence too.... Thanks for the others, Anya. I will have to look for them.
cortigirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:04 am      Reply with quote
Don't forget the movie "black book"....another AMAZING film!!

anya wrote:
Oh my goodness Wendy, so glad you like foreign movies and that you liked The Kite Runner (loved it!). I also loved "Volver", so looks like we have similar taste!!

The Wrestler was so damned predictable, that's why I didn't like it.

Anyway...here's just a sampling of some movies I really loved and stayed with me long after I watched:

"Festen" (Danish)
"Once were Warriors" (Australian, or maybe it was NZ?)
"Baenken" (aka "The Bench") also Danish
"Gomorra" (Italian)
"Cinema Paradiso" (Italian)
"Rabbit Proof Fence" (Australian)
"Sophie Scholl" (German)

I always check movies out on IMDB before I bother with them http://www.imdb.com/

That list should keep you going for awhile Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
cortigirl wrote:
Don't forget the movie "black book"....another AMAZING film!!

I'd completely forgotten "Black Book" as I'd seen it quite awhile ago and yes, it was another great movie!

Havana, looks like we're in sync too Very Happy
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
I liked "The Miracle of St Ann" in WWII Italy;
"Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day" (Frances McDormand, Amy Adams) ;
"A Series of Unfortunate Events" (kids' movie, but very tongue-in-cheek).

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
The Wrestler is just "meh" not that great.

The Reader is pretty good. I personally didn't think it was an Oscar winning role. She was naked during most of the movie. The kid should have won an Oscar he did pretty good.

How can we forget about Twilight Laughing Not the greatest movie, and the girl who plays Bella sucks as an actress, but Rob Pattinson is hot. Just watch the movie for him.

I just watched Australia. It's too long and a tad boring. But, you have rent it just for Hugh Jackman - really hot in the movie.
cortigirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
Triplets of belleville
Let the right one in
One night with the king
Persepolis
CJ7
Trade
Martrys (great horror movie)
Apocalypto
I'm not scared

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
That's so funny i just tried watching Australia yesterday. I couldn't get passed 20 minutes of it. It was just SOO BORING lol. The reader was alright, although i MUST prefer Little Children. That was spectacular!

Northerngirl wrote:
The Wrestler is just "meh" not that great.

The Reader is pretty good. I personally didn't think it was an Oscar winning role. She was naked during most of the movie. The kid should have won an Oscar he did pretty good.

How can we forget about Twilight Laughing Not the greatest movie, and the girl who plays Bella sucks as an actress, but Rob Pattinson is hot. Just watch the movie for him.

I just watched Australia. It's too long and a tad boring. But, you have rent it just for Hugh Jackman - really hot in the movie.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
I love foreign films. Here are a few I truly enjoyed. Anyone else use Netflix?

Tell No One: very suspenseful
Danny Deckchair: funny
Tuya's Marriage
Lars and the Real Girl: not ------------ even if it sounds like it. Charming story.
Red Violin
Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears (vintage)and a personal favorite
Himalaya: stark and beautiful
Babette's Feast: about food and another person favorite
Bride and Prejudice: fun easy movie to watch
Monsoon Wedding: another favorite
Eat Drink Man Woman: food food food
Vodka Lemon
Story of the Weeping Camel: incredible!
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:20 am      Reply with quote
Wow this is turning into a "Must See Foreign Films" thread. This is great. Absolutely what I need for those films, lots of feedback!

Curious with why there are so many foreign film lovers here. I'm sure some are American but anyone else not?

forgot another classic: Life is Beautiful. That one made me cry so hard. They had it on Encore recently and I had not seen it in years. STILL cried.

The Reader was good and I agree that "kid" should have received something, any sort of acknowledgement. But you know Hollywood. Kate's people probably campaigned for her to win. And she is IN Hollywood. He probably did not seek it out.

The Wrestler comes in the mail today. I was just too intrigued by why 97% of the critics loved it. And I am very picky about my critics. If Rolling Stone,NYTs and Time magazine like a movie, I will. If Roger Ebert likes a movie, I know I won't. Laughing

I was going to cancel my netflix this week but now since I have all these new films to see, I better keep it.

I tried out Netflix and Blockbuster's trial period and do NOT like blockbuster very much. They take 4 days to get a movie to you and so many titles are under unavailable. Netflix on the other hand is great. The turnaround is so fast and you get to view online movies for free,as many as you want. BB charges you and even limits what you see with that!

Hey everyone name their favorite unrequited love movie. We gals love those movies don't we?
cortigirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
My fave love stories are:

7 pounds
Case of benjamin button
Dragonfly
The notebook
Titanic
City of angels
Never been kissed

Sorry, can't really pick a top fave lol.

wenrwdy@aol.com wrote:
Wow this is turning into a "Must See Foreign Films" thread. This is great. Absolutely what I need for those films, lots of feedback!

Curious with why there are so many foreign film lovers here. I'm sure some are American but anyone else not?

forgot another classic: Life is Beautiful. That one made me cry so hard. They had it on Encore recently and I had not seen it in years. STILL cried.

The Reader was good and I agree that "kid" should have received something, any sort of acknowledgement. But you know Hollywood. Kate's people probably campaigned for her to win. And she is IN Hollywood. He probably did not seek it out.

The Wrestler comes in the mail today. I was just too intrigued by why 97% of the critics loved it. And I am very picky about my critics. If Rolling Stone,NYTs and Time magazine like a movie, I will. If Roger Ebert likes a movie, I know I won't. Laughing

I was going to cancel my netflix this week but now since I have all these new films to see, I better keep it.

I tried out Netflix and Blockbuster's trial period and do NOT like blockbuster very much. They take 4 days to get a movie to you and so many titles are under unavailable. Netflix on the other hand is great. The turnaround is so fast and you get to view online movies for free,as many as you want. BB charges you and even limits what you see with that!

Hey everyone name their favorite unrequited love movie. We gals love those movies don't we?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:11 am      Reply with quote
Ok saw The Wrestler last night and I guess I can appreciate the acting and style of the filming but it was not my kind of story. But I had to see it.

I just added Black Book to my Netflix Queue. And what I love about Netflix is that you can watch unlimited movies online. They have a lot of foreign movies to watch online. I love Netflix. Really worth it.
callalily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Slumdog Millionaire is great
Last King of Scotland was masterfully filmed

hmm I went out and saw "Benjamin" but I thought it was a little long and boring
Dark Knight was entertaining, the new Bond was a little long, and the Reader wasn't exactly to my tastes.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
My favourite movie of all time is Amelie (a French film). It is a very sweet and cute love story that has quite a few quirks. It's also quite witty, and the cinematography is beautiful. A must-see!
bitsyrhea
5% products discount

Fri May 01, 2009 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
About two weeks ago I saw The Hannah Montana Movie and 17 Again. 17 Again is a GREAT movie for all ages. The Hannah Montana movie sounds like a kid movie, but truly its not... its a love story, its fantastic!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 03, 2009 11:22 pm      Reply with quote
17 again looks cute, in a non-cloying way. Zach Efron is starting to seem likeable, I used to find him a bit plastic but
i think he might have a real career ahead of him.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 05, 2009 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
As cortigirl already mentioned I second "Let the right one in" it was a truly wonderful film and I doubt that we will see a better film this year from any part of the world.
Vanilj
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 08, 2009 3:35 am      Reply with quote
"Men that hates women"

Sara, 36 Swedish. Brunette, brown eyes. Fair sensitive reactive skin, no wrinkles(yet), enlarged pores, some broken caps and get easily sunspots. Oily but dry skin. Ten months with Tretionin 0,025% gel PM, Vita C AM - SC Phloratin and Freulic. Use DeCleor and Dr H right now.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 10, 2009 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
I agree, 17 again is a great comedy. I'm only half way through it but there were some laugh out loud moments in those 40 odd minutes.
Another comedy I would recommend is I Love You Man. Its about a guy with no male friends and is looking for a best man for his wedding. Hilarious!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 14, 2009 1:11 am      Reply with quote
There are quite a few great movies I love though not necessarily Oscar films, to name some they are:

"Magic Pizza" - I just like the story!
"Sleepless in Seattle" - well I just love Tom Hanks Wink
"You've got mail" - same reason as above
"Take the lead" - I like the true story and also Latin dance Very Happy
and some more....

But the most updated favourite movie I love is a Japanese film namely "Departures". It's a film regarding how Japanese people view "death". They have their own view and it's very touching. This movie has got an award in East Asia.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |