Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Dermarolling for Stretchmarks
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
P Girl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

While we do have a HUGE (!!!) and fantastic dermaroller thread, I've found that the number of us who are rolling for stretchmarks is increasing dramatically, thus our stretchmark discussion seems to be taking over the dermaroller thread.

So I felt it would be best if we had a place where we can discuss rolling specifically for stretchmarks without forcing people who are rolling for acne scars, skin laxity and aging to wade through our woes.

AND, we should still participate in the main dermaroller thread as we're gathering a lot of shared experience and knowledge that would be helpful to all, but we can keep most of our stretchmark (SM) discussion here.

-Erin

P.S. It would probably be a good idea if those of us who have some experience post our "story" (age of SM, where we have them) and how we're going about treating them with the dermaroller and our results so that those who are brand new to this can just start right off reading the good stuff.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
So I'll start...

I have SM of varying ages on my arms, my boobs, my upper and lower abdomen, my hips, horizontal ones above my butt, and behind my knees. Many are from puberty, but some are from weight gain after I got married. All of them are at least 5 years old.

I started using the 1.5 mm. Dr. Roller in January, but it was a very halfhearted attempt with absolutely no pressure and no topicals. In February I started using more pressure and eventually added Retin-A. I started seeing results on my arms very soon after I started the Retin-A.

I've been trying to add the DIY Vit. C spray (I'll post links to all products after this post) to my morning routine but I'm not doing a great job at remembering to use it. I've vowed to introduce it regularly.

I have the Climax spray for numbing, but I rarely use it. Ice does work pretty well but it's kind of a pain. For the most part I don't use numbing.

I roll at the beginning of every month, but I don't do all areas. I have a rolling diary and my treatment schedule of where to roll is a little staggered. I think it's best to not try to roll all areas at once, but rather to focus on a few and seek resolution of those first.

I roll with medium to aggressive pressure. Medium=using some force to push the roller down and aggressive=pushing as hard as I possibly can. I get some blood, but not a lot.

Here's what I do:

1. Wipe the area with alcohol

2. Roll (I tend to not follow the star pattern because I'm not that organized...I just roll the heck out of the area and go over every area in a lot of directions)

3. Shower & dry off

4. Apply Retin-A

5. Apply Vit. C in the morning (and every morning thereafter) and I now apply Retin-A every 2 days because I was getting rashes.

6. Wait one month and do it all again.

Results: My arms and boobs (where I started) are showing dramatic improvement to the point where I can wear sleeveless shirts in public now. My abdomen is much slower at responding, but there is some improvement. I can't really tell behind the knees because 1) I can't see it very well and 2) it hurts SO badly there that I've only rolled it twice.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
Here's a post with links for some products.

Retin-A without a prescription: www.alldaychemist.com

Climax spray: www.alldaychemist.com

DIY Vit. C spray directions (page 2, 2nd from last post):
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=30503&start=25

L-ascorbic acid source:
http://www.makingcosmetics.com/Vitamin-C-L-ascorbic-acid--p188.html

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Erin,

I'm happy that you made this thread, it will be good I'm sure. Like you say, this way people who are rolling stretch marks wont take over the other thread with our many posts!

I will still read the other thread as like you say it has alot of info etc and we can all still help each other out.

I've not really got any 'results' but I have rolled a couple of areas. So here is my story so far:
I'm 23 years old, female. I gained my stretch marks for quite a few reasons. Puberty, weight gain and going on the pill. My very first stretch marks formed on my inner thighs when I was about 12 years old. Then when I was 15 I started gaining weight while suffering with depression. Stretch marks started developing on my stomach, hips, front of thighs, back of calves/knees, a few on my bum, horizontal ones on my very lower back (just above bum), breasts and arms (triceps). All those stretch marks are now at least 8-9 years old and white in colour.
I've been up and down in my weight ever since. I gained 2 stone in the past year and have gained even more new marks, on my upper stomach and some new ones on my arms, these marks are still pink/purple but are slowly starting to fade.
I have no children, and have never been more than 3 stone over my ideal weight (for height/age).

So far I have only rolled 3 sections (small sections) of my body. An area on the left side of my stomach and an area on the right side. Also an area on my left breast. I've been applying Retin A gel (0.01%) daily as that's all I have. I am awaiting some Retin A cream from alldaychemist and will be making my own Vit C spray.

I currently own a 1.5mm Derma Roller (Dr Roller) and will purchase another when my current one needs replacing.

I plan to roll each area once every 4 - 6 weeks using hard pressure. Applying Retin A right after I roll, then applying it daily. I will also use the Vit C spray daily - as long as I don't have any reactions that is.

The areas I rolled were only a week/few days ago, so no results here yet. I am not really expecting to see results as I didn't roll hard enough, neither have I been able to use the ingredients I want to use yet.

Once all of my ingredients arrive, I will take before photos then roll - so then I can comfirm any or 0 improvement at a later date.

PS: I haven't checked the other thread today... I will do tomorrow as it's late and I should get to bed!
Ella's Mommy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:08 am      Reply with quote
yey..SM only area lol. well mine are mainly on my tummy and thighs. I rolled my belly twice so far and I'm getting the same reaction from the vit a so I slowed down a bit, but even tho i slowed down on it, it seems as tho i'm not getting the same results as I did before. it has really slowed down

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:19 am      Reply with quote
Erin,

How long so you wait before rolling after applying the climax? I'll sray a lot and it doesn't seem to numb much, however sometimes if i start to roll and it is still a little wet then it gets numb.i'm assuming that it is then mixing into my blood and into the open wounds to create the numbing effect. is that only me?

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
okay so i had thermage done yesterday for the lax skin, even tho I know of no reason not to roll for SM on my belly I just want to give it some time... more like 3 months (not gonna roll my belly for 3 months Crying or Very sad ) however I did roll my left and right hip along with my right thigh 3 mins ago... LOTS of blood. Whish I would have taken a pic and posted it. I'll wait about 30 min before applying the vit A. Normally right after I roll I only use 0.025% on the vit a. The next day I use to vit c (in morning, taking Erin's advice) and then later that night i use to 0.1% vit a. Not sure if it is a big deal with the % but i figured i'd give it a try. I'll roll again may 19th (4 weeks). I'm hoping by the 3rd roll i'll see somthing major on my hips atleast cuz i really don't wanna keep rolling them (right by the bone... ouch!)

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
okay i know i just posted a ton but one more question...

After u apply vit a how long after do u wait to apply a lotion? or do you not apply anything afterwards?

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all,

I have read somewhere before (might have been on the other thread) about "prepping" the areas of skin prior to starting a rolling routine...
Something like prep the skin for 3 weeks (upto 3 months) first before then after that roll, for better results or something Confused

Does anyone know anything about this? If so, is it just a case of putting Retin A cream on the areas everyday for a few weeks... then you can start rolling?

If I didn't do this would it make much difference?

I've received my 7 tubes of Retin A from ADC and really want to start my rolling routine on my arms asap... but if it's really worth going down the prep route then I will do it, otherwise I wont bother.
P Girl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
Yikes...lots of info. here.

Ella's Mommy:

I don't really have a set amount of time I wait to roll after applying the climax spray. Most of the time I apply it and then get to it, gradually increasing pressure as I feel less so yes, I've experienced the same as you. I don't really use it that often though so I'm not very experienced or knowledgeable about it.

What are the dates of your rolls on your tummy where you're experiencing a slow down of result? And how soon after rolling were you seeing those results?

I don't apply anything after my Retin A because I don't want to dilute it. However, I've been attempting to dilute the Retin-A behind my knees by applying the Retin-A then waiting 15-20 mins. or so and applying some lotion. I don't know if that's diluting it, but it does seem to be because I don't get the rash I was getting before when using it straight. So, in conclusion (LOL), if you don't want to dilute your Retin-A I'd wait a long while before applying lotion or anything else.

The hips sound REALLY painful. I've not yet been brave enough to try it out. Are you continuing to use your Retin-A and Vit. C between rolls?

Kay:

I've read about that as well, but I didn't do it on the areas I've seen results. I've been trying to "pretreat" the areas I'll roll later by applying the topicals (both Retin-A and Vit. C) every few days, but that's just because I'm already applying it to other areas I've already rolled so I figure it's worth a shot. I don't know if it works better or not. It's definitely interesting and I'd be interested in knowing how it works, but I'm not really patient enough to sit around and not try my roller...LOL. So I know it works without pretreating, but I don't know if it works better TO pretreat. So basically I have absolutely no advice!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
after my 1st roll i seen decent results but I had crazy discoloration so i slowed down on it. by the time i did my 2nd roll i didn't see an improvment at all(just what I did from the 1st). I want the results I was experiencing without the discoloration

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
and yes i'm still using vit a and c... also takin biosil

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I will say that I experienced the "OMG this is working" moment prematurely. The initial improvements I saw were inflammation. It was at least a month and a half later before I saw real changes.

I don't think it's the number of rolls you do (unless you it too often and screw things up) but rather the length of time that has passed. An effective roll is going to take quite a bit of time to show real results. Also, if we're speaking about your abdomen I have to say that it's taking a loooong time for my abdomen to come around to my way of thinking. It's starting to show improvements, but it's been around 3 months since I started the rolling of the stomach and I'm definitely not ready to run out and buy a tube top! I'd score my abdomen at a 1.5 out of 10 right now. (0 being where I started and 10 being complete resolution)

I think the important thing to do is give this process room to breathe. Use the right tools and give it plenty of time. Whatever you do, do not rush it! Hopefully it'll work for everyone.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:59 am      Reply with quote
P Girl wrote:
Kay:

I've read about that as well, but I didn't do it on the areas I've seen results. I've been trying to "pretreat" the areas I'll roll later by applying the topicals (both Retin-A and Vit. C) every few days, but that's just because I'm already applying it to other areas I've already rolled so I figure it's worth a shot. I don't know if it works better or not. It's definitely interesting and I'd be interested in knowing how it works, but I'm not really patient enough to sit around and not try my roller...LOL. So I know it works without pretreating, but I don't know if it works better TO pretreat. So basically I have absolutely no advice!

Hi Erin,

Lol! I know what you mean about not being patient enough to sit around... that's the main reason I asked Laughing Wink . I'll be honest, I'd rather just skip the pretreating method and go straight into it because I don't want to spend the next month without using my roller.

It's a shame the Retin A tubes are small. I'm not complaining about the price! but the postage is a bit... Confused
I ordered 7 tubes, not sure how long they will last me. I should imagine they'd go pretty damn quick if I was to start using the cream on my stomach, hips, boobs, thighs and arms.

The tube of gel I got from my doctor was 60 or 80grams compared to 20g.

Maybe I am just too generous with my application! Very Happy
Ella's Mommy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:50 am      Reply with quote
P Girl wrote:
Well, I will say that I experienced the "OMG this is working" moment prematurely. The initial improvements I saw were inflammation. It was at least a month and a half later before I saw real changes.

I don't think it's the number of rolls you do (unless you it too often and screw things up) but rather the length of time that has passed. An effective roll is going to take quite a bit of time to show real results. Also, if we're speaking about your abdomen I have to say that it's taking a loooong time for my abdomen to come around to my way of thinking. It's starting to show improvements, but it's been around 3 months since I started the rolling of the stomach and I'm definitely not ready to run out and buy a tube top! I'd score my abdomen at a 1.5 out of 10 right now. (0 being where I started and 10 being complete resolution)

I think the important thing to do is give this process room to breathe. Use the right tools and give it plenty of time. Whatever you do, do not rush it! Hopefully it'll work for everyone.

yeah but the little change i seen is 2 1/2 months old now.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ella,

Am I right in saying you have only done 2 rolls on your tummy so far?
Are you using a 1.5mm roller, how far apart did you space these 2 rolls? How long ago was the second roll?

You say you are using Vit A and C (I know you had to clam down on the Vit A)... how often were you using it? Obviously using it after the rolls, but were you applying it once daily from then on? or once every 2 days etc.

I have only rolled 2 parts of my stomach once so far, and I have a feeling it would take quite a FEW rolls to see any improvement.
I spoke to Erin and she told me about her results so far on her stomach after 3 rolls... it sounds as if the stomach takes longer to "improve" or show results as other parts of the body (arms for example).

I know personally my stomach is really tough and thick lol, so I feel I'm going to be doing quite a few rolls to see improvement.
Ella's Mommy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
Kay2008 wrote:
Hi Ella,

Am I right in saying you have only done 2 rolls on your tummy so far?
Are you using a 1.5mm roller, how far apart did you space these 2 rolls? How long ago was the second roll?

You say you are using Vit A and C (I know you had to clam down on the Vit A)... how often were you using it? Obviously using it after the rolls, but were you applying it once daily from then on? or once every 2 days etc.

I have only rolled 2 parts of my stomach once so far, and I have a feeling it would take quite a FEW rolls to see any improvement.
I spoke to Erin and she told me about her results so far on her stomach after 3 rolls... it sounds as if the stomach takes longer to "improve" or show results as other parts of the body (arms for example).

I know personally my stomach is really tough and thick lol, so I feel I'm going to be doing quite a few rolls to see improvement.

I've done 2 "aggressive" rolls but before that I was doing the jean wu method. Maybe that had a bit to do with some of the change.

Yeah I was using the vit A every night and the vit c every morning. I just started using the vit a less often because of the reashes, but now i think I might just deal with the rashes.

now that i'm thinking about it I wonder if i should continue the jean wu method along with the rolling. maybe roll then 2 weeks later the method then 2 weeks after that roll again. but it won't be on my belly. just my hips and thighs.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 03, 2009 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

Okay I am going to ask a dumb question now... but what is the benefit of applying the Vit C spray onto areas that have been rolled? What will it do/help with?
kj68
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 03, 2009 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
P girl,

I have to 2nd your comment:

Quote:
I don't think it's the number of rolls you do (unless you it too often and screw things up) but rather the length of time that has passed. An effective roll is going to take quite a bit of time to show real results.

My Story
I hardly have any stretch marks on my stomache...(I was lucky, until last night... and that stupid mistake is listed in the cupping thread Not talking ) But I had tons on my breast from adolescence, exploding from flat to C cup in about a month's time.

I have dermarolled my stomache twice with a 1.5. Once in July and then once in January.
Results: A lot less noticable but not responding like the breast.

My breast I have done 3 times since July and I have to search to find them now...PHENOMENAL!!! Dancing

My Sister's Story

I talked my sister into doing this too in October when she saw what it was doing to the sag in my face. Her stomache strectch marks looked like a sunburst exploding around her belly button. She has only done it one time (the pain has discouraged her some), but I can say it looks 60% better today than it did in October. And she really seems content with her stomache now, and it used to be the most loathed part on her body. Wink

Do it, give it time to heal (months), then do it again if you think you need to. Its not a quick fix...but it does work!
P Girl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 03, 2009 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
Kay2008 wrote:
Hi,

Okay I am going to ask a dumb question now... but what is the benefit of applying the Vit C spray onto areas that have been rolled? What will it do/help with?

I'm going to provide a couple of quotes regarding the necessity of the topicals Vit. A and Vit. C during rolling from http://www.dermaconcepts.com/2004/environ1mmNeedling1.pdf

"While Vitamin A activates the factories for
collagen and elastin, normal collagen cannot
be produced without Vitamin C. Vitamin C applied topically is therefore an
essential co-factor to be applied with the
Vitamin A."

"Collagen production can be boosted by
preparing the skin with Vitamin A prior to
the micro-needling treatment. An enhanced
state of collagen and elastin production is
then maintained by continuing the skin care
regime through the six sessions."

HTH.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 03, 2009 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
kj68,

What a fantastic testimony. Did you apply Vit. A & C or simply roll? I bet if you didn't use the topicals that you and your sister's results would be profound if y'all rolled again and used them.

I'm finally starting to see results on my abdomen but the results are nothing like those on my boobs and arms. The abdominal skin must be like armor!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 11:13 am      Reply with quote
P Girl wrote:
Kay2008 wrote:
Hi,

I'm going to provide a couple of quotes regarding the necessity of the topicals Vit. A and Vit. C during rolling from http://www.dermaconcepts.com/2004/environ1mmNeedling1.pdf

"While Vitamin A activates the factories for
collagen and elastin, normal collagen cannot
be produced without Vitamin C. Vitamin C applied topically is therefore an
essential co-factor to be applied with the
Vitamin A."

"Collagen production can be boosted by
preparing the skin with Vitamin A prior to
the micro-needling treatment. An enhanced
state of collagen and elastin production is
then maintained by continuing the skin care
regime through the six sessions."

HTH.

Thank you Erin, just what I needed! Very Happy
Kay2008
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
I just rolled a 3x3 inch section on the front of my left thigh (upper part of thigh, just above half way). I have some very fine stretch marks there all huddled together.

Well what can I say other than... OUCH! It was pretty painful! alot more painful than what my stomach or boob was. I thought I was going to have to give up and try another time with numbing cream... but instead I kept at it and managed to roll 5 times in each direction. It felt horrid, made me feel slightly nauseous.

I hate to even imagine what the pain would be like on the inner thigh area! Shock Sad

I tried to take a before photo but I just couldn't get the marks to show up. Either my camera is not very good or the marks are a bit too small to get on camera. The flash just made my leg look like a white piece of paper... without the flash it was too dark so I couldn't win.

I am ordering another roller tomorrow as I want to have one for my lower body and another for the upper body. I have so many stretch marks, I will probably have to purchase even more rollers at a later date lol...
kj68
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
P Girl,

We didn't use a thing. I think I'll try vitamin C and/or A next time I roll. Still wanting to work on that stomache. As for sis, I guess we'll see. Very Happy

Thanks for the tip!
Kay2008
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 05, 2009 11:35 am      Reply with quote
Ok kinda freaking out at the moment...

I just went to the toilet and looked down at the area on my thigh that I rolled lastnight... it looks disgusting! The stretch marks look 10 times worse than they did before.
The stretch marks look rather raised, instead of flat/indented. They are showing up ALOT more and it even looks as if there is even more stretch marks there than there was before... Shock

The 'normal' skin inbetween and around the stretch marks is red, and the stretch marks are extremely white.

I rolled with pressure (had some blood spots), I applied Retin A Cream right after the roll, and applied my DIY Vit C spray this morning.

Has anyone else experienced this? is it the norm?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:49 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |