Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dermarolling for Stretchmarks
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
P Girl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 05, 2009 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
Kay,

I find different areas of the body respond differently to rolling. In a nutshell, yes I've experienced the red normal skin and white SM. I've also experienced the exact opposite.

Breathe! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 05, 2009 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
kj68 wrote:
P Girl,

We didn't use a thing. I think I'll try vitamin C and/or A next time I roll. Still wanting to work on that stomache. As for sis, I guess we'll see. Very Happy

Thanks for the tip!

Great, let us know if your results pick up with the topicals! Try to use both Vit. A & C as it seems they work together to promote collagen growth.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 06, 2009 9:25 am      Reply with quote
After lurking at the Female first stretch mark thread, and the other dermaroller thread in this forum, I've finally decided to post as I have some questions =)

First of all, do you reckon it's easier to get results with dermaroller if you're younger, since younger people have an easier time creating more collagen, right? Reason why I'm asking is because I'm 16, and if I could benefit any from my young age, I'd definitely like to know.

I'm looking to roll my stomach (blame weight gain, ugh) to at least reduce the appearance of the stretch marks. I know that the chance that they'll completely go away is very small, but if I can get at least 50% reduction of them, I'll cry myself to sleep with joy!

I'll buy a roller sooner or later but I've seen that I need to prepare my skin with Vit A & C - how long before do I need to do that? Just want to know everything before I go through with it.

As I've read, I've noticed that some are having difficulty seeing results on their stomach (because the skin is different from arms and boobs, right?). I just wanted to know if results WILL come or if it's impossible to get results on your stomach?

Also, I'm currently losing weight, so my skin will tighten up and my stretch marks will lose a little width. Do you think I should wait with rolling until I'm finally at my goal weight?

Oh, and some of my stretch marks are red/greyish (aka they've healed some but still have a way to go), will it be easier to treat? My oldest marks are about 5-6 years old, the ones on my lower abdomen, but they dont really bother me, they're VERY VERY little visible. The ones that bother me are about 3-4 years old, could that affect the rolling in any way?

So many questions Embarassed This is just my final hope, or so I feel, and I want to know that it'll help me. Imaging being 16 with stretch marks all over your stomach, and when you FINALLY lose weight, you cant show off your new body Sad
Kay2008
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 06, 2009 10:11 am      Reply with quote
P Girl wrote:
Kay,

I find different areas of the body respond differently to rolling. In a nutshell, yes I've experienced the red normal skin and white SM. I've also experienced the exact opposite.

Breathe! Smile

Thanks Erin... I just had a freak out moment Surprised Laughing

Penta wrote:
It looks like I can't post any links on here.
Confused

I was going to propose that we post relevant articles on here.

Hi Penta,

You can't post links on here until you have made a certain amount of posts. I'm not sure how many that is... (might be 15 or 30, not sure).

Loosey wrote:
After lurking at the Female first stretch mark thread, and the other dermaroller thread in this forum, I've finally decided to post as I have some questions =)

First of all, do you reckon it's easier to get results with dermaroller if you're younger, since younger people have an easier time creating more collagen, right? Reason why I'm asking is because I'm 16, and if I could benefit any from my young age, I'd definitely like to know.

I'm looking to roll my stomach (blame weight gain, ugh) to at least reduce the appearance of the stretch marks. I know that the chance that they'll completely go away is very small, but if I can get at least 50% reduction of them, I'll cry myself to sleep with joy!

I'm with you on that... I'm not getting my hope up on completely ridding myself of any marks, but to get 50% improvement would mean the world to me.

Loosey wrote:
I'll buy a roller sooner or later but I've seen that I need to prepare my skin with Vit A & C - how long before do I need to do that? Just want to know everything before I go through with it.

I have also read about this and asked before. I know that Erin did not prep her skin at all and has had good results.
I read that they recommened you prep your skin with Retin A and C for 3 weeks (even upto 3 months, I suppose it depends on what you're treating and how severe your problem is).

Loosey wrote:
As I've read, I've noticed that some are having difficulty seeing results on their stomach (because the skin is different from arms and boobs, right?). I just wanted to know if results WILL come or if it's impossible to get results on your stomach?

Also, I'm currently losing weight, so my skin will tighten up and my stretch marks will lose a little width. Do you think I should wait with rolling until I'm finally at my goal weight?

Oh, and some of my stretch marks are red/greyish (aka they've healed some but still have a way to go), will it be easier to treat? My oldest marks are about 5-6 years old, the ones on my lower abdomen, but they dont really bother me, they're VERY VERY little visible. The ones that bother me are about 3-4 years old, could that affect the rolling in any way?

So many questions Embarassed This is just my final hope, or so I feel, and I want to know that it'll help me. Imaging being 16 with stretch marks all over your stomach, and when you FINALLY lose weight, you cant show off your new body Sad

I am also in the process of losing weight and have also wondered if it would be best to wait until I reach my ideal weight before rolling (to be honest, I tihnk I would be too impatient to do that!).
I have seen posts about derma rolling also helps tighten up loose skin - so maybe it might help if you roll while losing weight Confused

I know how you feel. I gained a few stone at about 14 years old, I got stretch marks everywhere because of that, not just on my stomach. I also hate the thought of never being able to wear a bikini on the beach. I also hate the thought I'll never be able to wear shorts or a skirt in the summer because of the marks on my thighs.

I'm sure someone will be on some time soon to answer your questions better.

Good luck!
P Girl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 06, 2009 11:22 am      Reply with quote
Pre-treating with topicals isn't a bad idea if you can stand to wait. I can't say from personal experience if it enhances results, but I am pre-treating areas I haven't rolled yet. I won't know results on that for many months though because I don't plan to roll those areas anytime soon.

Weight: I have extra weight as well and I'm not planning on losing it all before I continue my rolling. Like Kay said, rolling actually helps to tighten skin as well, and judging from pictures I've seen it does a hell of a job at it. So it can't hurt to roll WHILE losing weight.

I think you can achieve a 50%+ improvement. I'm now wearing tank tops in public without any fear that someone will see the SM on my arms. There are definitely still SM there, but they are hardly noticeable at all to me (unnoticeable to other people) and I plan to continue to roll until there is smooth-as-a-baby's-butt skin there.

I don't know about the age bit. I think most of us actually commenting here are "fairly" young, though not 16. If anyone is 35+ please comment on your results. There've been good results with rolling for age-related issues in the dermaroller thread so age doesn't seem to prohibit results. But if you're 16 I'd start now so you don't have to live with them longer than necessary.

Re. the stomach--I AM seeing results. I was in a dressing room yesterday (why do they make the lighting in there so horrid?!) and I could definitely see an improvement. They are certainly not gone, but you can feel them more than you can see them. I'm still determined to get rid of them though.

Re. the age of the SM--I don't think we really know how rolling will handle different ages of SM. It stands to reason that the newer ones (that have reddish color) will react faster as Retin-A alone will "help" to reduce these. However, the marks I have are all old (anywhere from 5-13 years old) and this treatment is working on them.

This is unrelated to anyone's post, but important:

When I first started seeing results I thought "Wow, I'm going to be able to get rid of all of my SM within a year!" I've become more reasonable now. Because I have so many in several different areas I'm not in the process of treating my entire body. There are areas I've yet to touch with a roller. Also, the difficult areas are going to take more time. Complete resolution, which I believe IS possible, is going to take a lot of time. I'm hopeful that a year will rid me completely of the SM on my boobs and arms, and will SIGNIFICANTLY reduce (at least 80%) the SM on my stomach and behind my knees. Once those are taken care of I'll start work on my hips and above my butt.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 06, 2009 11:23 am      Reply with quote
Penta wrote:
It looks like I can't post any links on here.
Confused

I was going to propose that we post relevant articles on here.

If you want to make a post on the Female First board with the links you want I'll copy it and post them here for you.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 06, 2009 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hey ladies,

I'm 40 and my sis is 36. I'm not sure age has much to do with this...but maybe it does.

HTH
P Girl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 06, 2009 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
kj68 wrote:
Hey ladies,

I'm 40 and my sis is 36. I'm not sure age has much to do with this...but maybe it does.

HTH

I tend to agree.

Wed May 06, 2009 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
P Girl wrote:
Pre-treating with topicals isn't a bad idea if you can stand to wait.

P Girl, I copied down what u do for ur STs, can I know ur pre-treatment procedure too?

Thanks so much!

Very Happy
P Girl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 06, 2009 11:06 pm      Reply with quote
maierhope-I just use my Retin-A and Vit. C the same way I use it on my rolled areas, but on the non-rolled areas.

Every other night I put Retin-A on the non-rolled areas and every morning I apply the Vit. C spray to the non-rolled areas.

I do tend to skip this sometimes. I'm not great at being consistent.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 07, 2009 4:33 am      Reply with quote
I'm thinking of prepping my arms, stomach and boobs before rolling but I just haven't got the patience lol. Saying that, if I do I probably should have bought more Retin A! I only ordered 7 tubes.

I'll see, it depends on when I want to roll them. I was planning on doing it in the next couple of weeks... maybe I'll wait a little longer.

The smell of the Retin A cream is a bit whiffy Confused Laughing . I also ordered another 1.5mm roller from dr-roller.eu for $62.10 (£42) which I am pleased about! wish I knew of them last year...

My next roll is going to be a 'serious' one, no more 'testing sections' or messing about. I want to do this properly and start a routine. I will probably use my EMLA because my last couple of 'intense' rolls have been pretty painful and I feel it holds me back from giving the area the roll it really needs.
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 07, 2009 6:39 am      Reply with quote
Erin, I posted links on the female first forum. It would be great if you could post them here.
Very Happy
Does anybody else have any relevant articles?
P Girl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 07, 2009 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Here are the links Penta wanted to post:

http://www.dermogenesis.com/roll-cit/Clinics_of_N_Am_2005.pdf

http://www.dermaconcepts.com/2004/environ1mmNeedling1.pdf

5% products discount

Thu May 07, 2009 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi All,

Not sure if I should post this here put here are two items I found on the net about what vitamin a and vitamin c do for/on the skin:

Vitamin A

Retin-A and Renova utilize Vitamin A derivatives and are prescription products they are very effective but some people's skin may react with stinging, redness or scaling. "Retinol," a non-prescription Vitamin-A derivative is contained in over-the-counter products and can provide much of the same benefits with less risk of irritation and sun sensitivity. Retinol is pure and active Vitamin A.

Vitamin A is one of a few substances with a molecular small enough to penetrate the outer layers of skin and work to repair the lower layers of the skin where collagen and elastin live. This allows the retinol to repair and stimulate collagen and elastin, which produces firmer, smoother skin. Retinol increase cell turnover and exfoliation by stimulating cell production underneath the skin. This exfoliation process slows down when we age, and layers of dead, thick, sun damaged skin cells to remain on the surface.

Vitamins C
Topical Vitamin C is thought prevent the damage from prolonged sun exposure which can lead to skin cancer. Vitamin C can reduce the damage caused by free radicals, the nasty byproduct of sunlight, smoke, and pollution. Free radicals damage collagen and elastin fibers that support skin structure, causing signs of aging.

You can also try a topical vitamin C cream to encourage collagen production, just as your body does naturally when you are young. Vitamin C effectiveness against wrinkles and fine lines is backed by reliable scientific evidence.

Ascorbyl Glucoside

Use skin creams containing Ascorbyl Glucoside this is a stable of stable Vitamin C that that same physiological activation mechanism as ordinary Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid). By formulating the skin care product with Ascorbyl Glucoside, the cream has a sustained action on the skin, bringing about remarkable effects in improving discoloration and freckles, and stimulating collagen production to prevent ageing of the skin.

I have only been using vit c cream for stretchmark treatment thus far as I am a bit concerned about vit a but I think I will give it a try.

Hope everyone is well Smile
P Girl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 07, 2009 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
If you are DIYing your Vitamin C you don't really need to worry about stability because you can make small portions. I have never had my l-ascorbic acid spray oxidize and I've had it in my bottle without using it for at least a month or more.

Elle, why are concerned about Vit. A?

One thing I would add is that retinol has to be converted into retinoic acid before it's able to affect the skin. Retin-A already is retinoic acid so it has a better chance at providing the needed benefits.

http://www.smartskincare.com/smartchoices/myths/myth_retinol_retina.html

Sat May 09, 2009 8:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi P girl,
what strength would u recommend if I want to pre-treat my skin with retin A?
P Girl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 09, 2009 11:41 am      Reply with quote
I've been using the .05% for everything. I really have no idea if it's necessary or recommended to use a higher dose, but I don't want to use the gel and that's all ADC offers for the .1%. Regardless, .05% seems to be working fine for me.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 11, 2009 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Kay2008 wrote:
Ok kinda freaking out at the moment...

I just went to the toilet and looked down at the area on my thigh that I rolled lastnight... it looks disgusting! The stretch marks look 10 times worse than they did before.
The stretch marks look rather raised, instead of flat/indented. They are showing up ALOT more and it even looks as if there is even more stretch marks there than there was before... Shock

The 'normal' skin inbetween and around the stretch marks is red, and the stretch marks are extremely white.

I rolled with pressure (had some blood spots), I applied Retin A Cream right after the roll, and applied my DIY Vit C spray this morning.

Has anyone else experienced this? is it the norm?

I get the same thing. I assume it's just the inflammation

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 11, 2009 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi guys

I have just done my first roll and am using vitamin c and a vitamin in the form of retinyl propionate serum @ 1%

I will be buying ingredients to make my own serum soon and was wondering if I could make my own vitamin a cream also. I live in Australia and can only seem to get Retin A if I have a prescription, also if anyone has success getting a Retin A product through Australian customs please let me know:)

Anyway does anyone know what the most effectives vitamin a are and if there is anywhere that sells the ingredient for a DIY.
Skinactives have retinyl acetate powder and was thinking of giving that a go also.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated

TIA Smile

I would also like to thank P girl for starting this thread for stretch marks as I have them everywhere due to weight gain.
Kay2008
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 11, 2009 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
Ella's Mommy wrote:
Kay2008 wrote:
Ok kinda freaking out at the moment...

I just went to the toilet and looked down at the area on my thigh that I rolled lastnight... it looks disgusting! The stretch marks look 10 times worse than they did before.
The stretch marks look rather raised, instead of flat/indented. They are showing up ALOT more and it even looks as if there is even more stretch marks there than there was before... Shock

The 'normal' skin inbetween and around the stretch marks is red, and the stretch marks are extremely white.

I rolled with pressure (had some blood spots), I applied Retin A Cream right after the roll, and applied my DIY Vit C spray this morning.

Has anyone else experienced this? is it the norm?

I get the same thing. I assume it's just the inflammation

Hi,

Yeah I have to agree with that. It's been a week now since I rolled that area and the redness and visable inflammation has gone (it went after about 3 - 4 days). I really panicked LOL.

I notice the area I did is really dry. If I rub my fingers over it it's almost a crusty kind of feel. But all looks ok Smile.

I look forward to my next roll to see what happens next time.
P Girl
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 11, 2009 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
pal wrote:
Hi guys

I have just done my first roll and am using vitamin c and a vitamin in the form of retinyl propionate serum @ 1%

I will be buying ingredients to make my own serum soon and was wondering if I could make my own vitamin a cream also. I live in Australia and can only seem to get Retin A if I have a prescription, also if anyone has success getting a Retin A product through Australian customs please let me know:)

Anyway does anyone know what the most effectives vitamin a are and if there is anywhere that sells the ingredient for a DIY.
Skinactives have retinyl acetate powder and was thinking of giving that a go also.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated

TIA Smile

I would also like to thank P girl for starting this thread for stretch marks as I have them everywhere due to weight gain.

I'm in the same boat---damn weight gain. Now if only the dermaroller would get rid of all the fat as well!

Have you tried ordering the Retin-A from All Day Chemist? I would think they can ship to Australia and get it through customs since they seem to have no problems in other countries. BTW, are you a huge fan of Missy Higgins?!! LOL...I LOVE HER! Y'all are so lucky to have "made" her!

Okay, back on topic...I buy my L-ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) fromwww.makingcosmetics, though I'm sure you can find it other places...maybe even somewhere in Australia. I chose L-ascorbic acid for some reason, though I cannot for the life of me remember the reason. It was something I read on the Vit. C DIY thread. I'm glad I chose it. It's so easy to make. Just mix with some distilled water in a spray bottle and spritz it on.

HTH! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 14, 2009 10:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,

Looking for a bit of help/advice about EMLA.

I have some EMLA (never used), a 5g tube.

I tried some on my arm lastnight, only a small amount... smoothed it over and left it for a while, it didn't really do anything.

How much are you meant to apply? Are you meant to use a big 2g blob like they say in the EMLA instructions? because that could get expensive lol.

Do you need to smooth it over the skin (like when you rub cream in)?

I need this to work, otherwise some areas are going to be TOO painful when rolling.

PS: Noticed I've got a few new stretch marks on the bottom of my butt cheeks (just where the cheeks join the thigh), and a few on the back of my knees, going down onto my calves Sad

They aren't purple/pink, they're not even really white... I just can feel them itching/stinging and can feel the indentation when I run my fingers over them.
I should imagine that area would be very painful to roll - as I remember Erin Lea mentioning it. Of course, I'll still give it a go, some needle pain will not stop me from trying to treat my marks Laughing Shock

Lol Erin, I'm starting to think I need to make a bed of needles like you mentioned once, so I can just lay on it and roll around - I'll need my whole body rolled at this rate! Laughing Embarassed Wink

Other than that, I hope everyone is ok!
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 14, 2009 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
I tried dermarolling on my stretchmarks. It seemed to have made them worse. What did I do wrong?
Kay2008
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 14, 2009 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
EDIT: You can't delete posts. I wanted to post something, but changed my mind... lol.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 14, 2009 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
Kay, I read that you rolled and your stretchmarks got worse, too, and you're trying to pre-treat the area with topicals. I did not use anything before or after, and no numbing cream. I did not use enough force to break skin. It hurt enough as it was. However, the next couple of days, my stretchmarks were raised where they were flat before. Now I noticed they have crept up above the area below belly button to above it, and my skin as a result kinda wrinkles around the belly button. I'm too scared to try rolling again. To be fair, I cannot be sure if the wrinkles and above BB stretchmarks came from rolling or massaging. I was doing both around the same time.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:47 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |