Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Pls give me input about a friendship situation
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:40 am      Reply with quote
Background:

I have a very dear friend who lives in NY. We met in NY as co-workers almost 25 years ago, I was in her wedding...I moved to VA where I have lived ever since, but she and I have remained close throughout the years. She has been very supportive of me the past couple years as I have gone through a very painful separation/divorce.

Situation:

This past October, her husband of 24 years asked her for a divorce. They had been together since high school - he was her only lover, etc.

It has not been terribly painful for her since she has not loved him for many years, has been involved in affairs, etc.

Nevertheless, her husband moved out in January and that same week, she started dating a man from her office.

Issue:

I have a dear ex-boyfriend who lives nearby her in NY. We dated on and off for over 10 years. He and his wife separated around the same time as my husband and I.

He and I have reconnected as friends, in a nonromantic friendship - we have been talking and communicating and helping each other though this phase of life - we have much in common right now.

Not too long ago, she asked me if she could contact him to share their stories of going through the same thing. I put them in contact with each other. They have been responding and have met for dinner.

She also asked me how I felt about introducing another divorced friend of hers to him. I told her that while he and I are not involved romantically, I still have feelings for him and it hurts me to think of anyone else that I might know being involved with him.

Anyway, now he tells me that she has invited him to dinner again.

I don't believe she would intentionally set out to hurt me in this way and yet in the same vein, it almost seems to me that she is pursuing him in some manner...even though both he and I know she already has another boyfriend.

I am feeling a little betrayed by her and yet I am not sure I have a right to feel this way.

Thoughts?

Thanks, BF
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Barefoot! I'm sorry you are going through this. Here's my take on the situation: Ex-boyfriends are delicate territory. Whether the break-up was good or bad, and whether you remain on speaking terms or not, it is the moral duty of your friends and family members to support you, and above ALL, not pursue any kind of relationship with him that you aren't comfortable with. There are people out there who will say to you "Why do you care? You two are broken up!" Those people are insensitive, pure and simple. Ladies, if your close friend or sister has been involved with a guy, do yourselves a favor and forget about him. As far as your concerned, he may as well be a eunuch!

Barefoot, in your friend's defense, I have noticed that people who go through divorces or serious break ups and who feel rather adrift in some ways can sometimes tend to make selfish or insensitive choices. That being said, it doesn't excuse what she is doing. You have told her how you feel about this ex, so for her to continue to pursue him is disloyal to the extreme. Nothing excuses how she is treating you.

If I were you, I would sit the friend down and try explaining one more time that you still have feelings for this ex and that you really don't feel comfortable with her pursuing him OR setting him up with other people. If she disregards your feelings after that then I'm sorry to say she doesn't deserve your friendship. I'm sorry I don't have better advice for you--- betrayal is such a painful thing to experience. I really hope that given the chance she will do the right thing and choose to respect and support you. Keep us updated and hang in there!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:34 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for putting that out there so clearly and succinctly. Sometimes our emotions can cloud our judgement.

I realize that people can sometimes take leave of their senses when first exiting a long term relationship...but at some point, I hope she returns to them.

As another friend put this situation:

"There are way too many fish in the sea to have to circle around someone that has been a part of another friend's life."

BF
honeychan
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:37 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz's reply pretty much sums up what I wanted to say already but I also have a few things to add:

Ex-boyfriends are definitely a sensitive topic and it may makey ou feel polarized (are they on your side or his side, etc) but really, that's irrational.

It is also very possible for your ex and your good friend to be just plain friends. A few months ago, I rekindled a friendship with an old friend from high school, a few months after he broke up with his girlfriend of 5 years. Of course we had nothing going on but I was always afraid that his ex-girlfriend (who I was co-workers with in the past) would suspect our friendship to be something more. However, it is pretty clear to people (I hope) that are just friends since we are not touchy with each other at all, we don't flirt and we don't drink together. I wanted to be there for him because he had some personal problems that were troubling him at the time. This may or may not be a possible situation you three are facing.

It may take some time but soon you'll be able to move away from the murky waters surrounding your old fish and see all the new fish around you!

Hope this helps!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |