Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dry Skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:36 am      Reply with quote
I did a little research for a forum friend. Hope this information helps.

Factors which contribute to dry and cracked skin include:

Inherited factors - those with life-long dry skin may have a form of ichthyosis (fish-scale skin).
Metabolic factors - dry skin is more common in those with an underactive thyroid, or with excessive weight loss, whatever its cause.
Increasing age, resulting in decreased natural lubrication.
Cool weather with low humidity.
Air conditioning, central heating or sitting close to a fire or fan heater.
Excessive bathing, showering or swimming (especially in strongly chlorinated water).
Contact with soap, detergents and solvents.
Frictional irritation and chapping.

Treatment of dry skin

An important aspect of treatment is to identify and tackle any contributing factors (see the list of causes above). The mainstay of management is:

Reduce how often you bath or shower, using lukewarm water. Showers are better than baths.
Replace standard soap with a substitute such as a synthetic detergent, water-miscible emollient, bath oil, anti-pruritic tar oil, etc.
Apply an emollient liberally and often, particularly after bathing, and when itchy. The drier the skin, the thicker this should be, especially on the hands

Winnie

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Nanapost
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
hmm...I wonder who you could be talking about. Winnie you are the best! Smile I actually googled the term "water-miscible emollient" and stumbled upon the very website you must have gotten the info from. Its true, I love a nearly scalding shower....but not on my face! So I'll cool down the shower and slather on the above, when I figure out what it is. I have found the emu oil lotion helpful but I think I'm going for the straight oil. For my face, it seems that HA is in order. I do think my dry skin is inherited..so I'll blame dear old Nana, who's no longer around to defend herself. Thanks again, Winnie...my quest continues!

Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:04 am      Reply with quote
Also, make sure that you drink enough water in the first place I guess Smile
Nanapost
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:25 am      Reply with quote
I have been drinking a ton of water, ever since I joined the forum. I do think mine is a systemic problem because if I don't use lotion on my legs and arms, even in the summer, my skin gets very dry and you can just see a layer of dried up skin cells on the surface. My face has never gotten that bad because Ive always used creams but now I've become much more conscious of the products and am determined to find the right regime. I'm sure I need some HA but I'm not sure how much yet and in which form. Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:41 am      Reply with quote
I drink alot of water but I eat high protein and feel it really flushes out the water in my body and that is why I dehydrate alot. It kind of makes sense if you realize that sugars/salts/starches retain water. I am eating more veggies and starting to eat some high protein cereals as a snack with Silk soy milk.

I know not to use hot water as that dries my legs out but when I am chilled I must have HOT water. Wink

Having a humidifier in your bedroom at night helps in cold/dry winters for your skin. My SO couldn't sleep with it on, I on the other hand had not problem it wasn't that loud.

I just remembered a really good body soap lotion is Aveeno with the moisturizing properties for dry skin (Stress Relief one-there is a whole line for body/wash/bath). Even the bubble bath felt moisturizing! and I even shaved my legs one time. Usually the bubble baths leave me totally dried out but not the Aveeno one. Your body doesn't feel dried out and running for the moisturizer! Very Happy

Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:52 am      Reply with quote
I'm with Sassyred on the Aveeno front. I've actually ordered this from the US before and it was a nice bubble bath. It wasn't drying like most other baths are (although I didn't come out of the tub feeling that I don't need to moisturise either).

I think body oils (applied while the body is still wet) are a very good way to go in combatting dry flaky skin on legs.
Nanapost
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:23 am      Reply with quote
I rarely even take baths anymore because of the drying but I do love them, especially when I'm freezing cold or achy. When we remodeled, we added this wonderful jacuzzi tub and if I'm sore from working out or whatever, some Batherapy in the tub melts away my aches and pains, my energy too! I'll get some Aveeno and give it a try. Also I have been combining some baby oil with my emu oil lotion after I shower and its better but I think I need a different oil. Thanks for the ideas. Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:59 am      Reply with quote
Nanapost - since you have a jacuzzi tub, why not try out the water-based Essential oils for bath... Very soothing and moisturizing... and ahhhh, relaxing Smile I used to do that every other day during the winter at home... but now I'm staying at school dorm, don't have that luxury Sad

oh, also, I would stay away from bubble bath, esp during winter... it tends to be very drying...
Nanapost
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
moshimoshi wrote:

why not try out the water-based Essential oils for bath... Very soothing and moisturizing... and ahhhh, relaxing

where can I find them? Sounds wonderful, and they really moisturize...in the bath??

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
Nanapost - a nice oil to use on your body is jojoba oil! it sinks in and won't leave you greasy and you can use on face/hair and to take off makeup! especially around the eyes! If you can't find near your in health stores or such try vitaminshoppe.com Very Happy

Also I think it is Calgoon, they sell a moisturizing bath bead that smells great for baths now. Oh another site popped into my head! TiptonCharles.com I use to buy some bath items and they have specials and such, nice products.

Can't wait to hear what you end up trying and liking! Cool

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
I have to laugh at myself! after posting about Tipton Charles I realized it has been awhile so I went to look and ended up order some oils/sprays/dead salts! I wouldn't have even thought of it , if it weren't for this post! LOL $$$$

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
Nanapost - the 2 brands that I use consistantly are Integree and Dolphin... Both carry pure essential oil or blends that are specifically designed for jacuzzi bath and of course body massage, too...

Integree (an Italian brand) has 2 such lines - Thermarome and Hydrarome, and each has 7 blended products divided into Flow, Oxy, Relays, Vitality, Liposlim, and Cell. Each targets specific concerns... You can actually look them up at Integree.com... This is by far my favs... However, I don't see them being distributed anywhere in the states... I accidentally run into it when I visited oversea and mom made a salon body therapy appointment for me Smile

Dolphin (not dolphin clinics though...) is another French line that carries great pure essential oil for body massage and bath... These are individual oil that you mix yourself depends on what you care for... it comes with a booklet with all the combination you can do for particular concerns... Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything on the internet... again, I got the whole set at a department store oversea Sad sorry, not much help, uh??!!

I did some surfing and found that Thalgo carries a complete hydratherapy line, Yonka carries a few bath oil products, so does Jurlique... you would probably have to go to their official websites for a complete list of all the products...

I've also seen essential oils being sold at Body and Work and Body Shop here in the states... Maybe you can swing by and consult the salesladies there... but be sure whichever products they recommend are okay for bath use... I know for sure that some of the blends are not designed for it and may either just float in the water and do nothing or may melt your tub away!!!! Shock

I'm actually thinking about trying out the Thalgo thalassotherapy/Hydrotherapy line.... we'll see Wink
Nanapost
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to do some research and see what I can find. I would just love a relaxing bath that's actually good for my skin. Moshimoshi, I had a funny memory that come to mind when you said no bubble bath because its too drying. Once, I was in the tub and I saw that there was some Baby Bath, the lavender stuff, on the side of the tub because our kids had just been to visit (my precious granddaughter, Emily). Anyway, I thought oh that'll smell nice so I put some into the tub and when I turned on the jacuzzi the bubbles went nuts, growing in volume by the second. Never occured to me that it was bubble bath. Took me forever to clean the tub...just getting the bubbles down the drain. No more bubbles in the jacuzzi! Rolling Eyes

Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |