Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Is sauna good for your skin?

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
essq2w3e4r
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 03, 2009 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't used the sauna in my gym. I am wondering if this is good for the skin. If so, how often and what to put in my skin before and after the sauna.

5% products discount

Sun May 03, 2009 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
saunas can be both good and bad. they open your pores(good), make you sweat and your body detoxes that way(good), but, spend too much time in one and you'll dehydrate(bad). so drink lots of water b4 & after, DO NOT stay in longer than 20 mins (preferably u won't even spend that long) & i'd make sure my body was clean & free of any lotions etc. good luck!! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 4:56 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I agree that they cause you to sweat which is healthy and detoxifying but they are not good if you have broken capillaries or heart problems etc. I think a steam bath at a lower temperature is nice as it is not drying. I would shower first and have clean skin so the pores are not blocked and drink lots of water; and then shower again after and finally use a lotion. They are very relaxing.
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 7:20 am      Reply with quote
One of my good friends is from Finland where the sauna culture is HUGE! They do it all the time and stay in it as long as they want, so I think the 20 min thing is totally personal but please correct me if I am wrong.

You should take a shower before entering the sauna. Then the finnish have this whisk type thing they hit their skin with. The effect may be similiar to dry brushing. Then cool off, and shower. Do not dress until you are done sweating.

You can go back into the sauna after cooling off and many Finn's do this, A LOT.

Drink plenty of water and enjoy.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 9:09 am      Reply with quote
Do Finns use dry sauna or wet? That makes a difference. I can stay in wet sauna longer than in a dry one. Rolling Eyes

Also, those who have rosacea (even very mild) should not use dry sauna, but rather a steam room.

That's what I do:

1. Take a normal shower
2. Go to the steam room for 3-5 min depending on how hot it is. Apply a thick layer of honey all over my body.

3. Run out of the steam room and go take a cold/cool shower! On the way I drink a glass of ice water.

4. Go back to the steam room again for 3-5 min.

5. Repeat steps 2-4 a few a times. Very Happy

Great detoxifying effect, the skin is glowing and feels like silk!
helios
5% products discount

Mon May 04, 2009 10:21 am      Reply with quote
I agree, it's totally up to you for how long you'll stay in. I'm from Finland, and most people here stay in sauna for 20-30 minutes, but if you take cooling breaks (either in the shower, or go to swimming) you can easily spend couple hours in total in there and that won't do you any harm. You can also use the sauna as often as you like.

Of course, if you're not used to that kind of heat, it's better to take it easy at first Smile

I usually wash my hair before I go in, apply a thick layer of deep conditioner, wrap a plastic bag and a towel around my hair and relax for half an hour. After I get out I just rinse the conditioner off. The heat opens the hair cuticle, so the conditioner can penetrate deeper than it would do without the heat.

Some people say it's best to wrap a towel around your hair anyway, wheter you deep condition your hair or not, because the heat can damage the hair. I don't know if that's true or not, but I've been using sauna for 2-3 times a week for 24 years, and my hair is completely fine.

Like michelle411 said, the heat open your pores, and that's really good for your skin. That's why the moisturizers you apply after that will sink in better.

People with really dry skin can apply some kind of very mild basic cream or lotion to their skin (and scalp too, if it tends to be dry) before going to sauna to protect the skin from drying out, but that should be applied to a clean skin.

Remember to drink a lot of water after the sauna, but you'd probably do that anyway, since you will most likely to be really thirsty.

HTH!
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 11:08 am      Reply with quote
Being from Upper Michigan where there is a large Finnish population and of course at one time being married to one (I still have a lovely Finnish last name)...I spent many days out back in the sauna. I agree totally that it is preference on how long you stay in...I usually did 20-45 minutes with a little break in between, family members did longer intervals. But it's best to work your way up, don't go gung ho on it to start and yes, keep well hydrated. I honestly think it was one of the reasons I had such nice skin growing up...and I must say in the winter it was awesome and very refreshing having to run back to the house afterwards!!! Laughing It brings back memories for sure.....

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
Can I ask why the Finnish are all such big sauna users? I've never heard that before this thread and it's so intriguing to me! Very Happy
Angelboots
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
I use the sauna every weekend and have done for years. I covered my body from top to bottome in emu or vit e oil before going in. It helps protect my skin, and leaves it silky smooth after i wash it off. Applying It also helps you to sweat more which i love, so i always take a bottle of water in with me to keep me hydrated.

I use emu oil
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
To be honest Tam...I don't know why they are. I was just raised around Finns and most of my friends were Finns living in Upper Michigan. But, everyone uses the sauna up there...it's like a night out and usually it was one night the women, another night the men or the men folk later the same night.... and every so often a mixer night! Wink For myself, it was tradition....
Might I add that the women mostly drank water while the men usually had the beer in the sauna...not a good mix and I don't recommend it!! Laughing Not to say I didn't have the occasional beer myself though!

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
I am not a big fan of sauna or steam room. I personally feel that it dehydrates my skin, so I don't use it. Also the heat is uncomfortable for me, so I can't stand it for very long. I tried both before, and never quite enjoyed myself. I heard that sauna is supposed to help you lose the fat by melting it and turning it to sweat. Is that a myth? It was the reason I tried the sauna to try to shed some fat, but it was too hot to handle. Very Happy
essq2w3e4r
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:
I am not a big fan of sauna or steam room. I personally feel that it dehydrates my skin, so I don't use it. Also the heat is uncomfortable for me, so I can't stand it for very long. I tried both before, and never quite enjoyed myself. I heard that sauna is supposed to help you lose the fat by melting it and turning it to sweat. Is that a myth? It was the reason I tried the sauna to try to shed some fat, but it was too hot to handle. Very Happy

Bira, I believe it is a myth...although it is fun to imagine that something will melt my fat. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
Can I ask why the Finnish are all such big sauna users? I've never heard that before this thread and it's so intriguing to me! Very Happy

Somebody said that there are about 1.6 saunas for every Finn. No wonder the Finnish are such a relaxed people Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 05, 2009 1:17 am      Reply with quote
I think it is good for skin detoxify.
Julsey
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 05, 2009 2:06 am      Reply with quote
I think so... Whenever I go to Finland to visit family, I make the most of their sauna. It helps clear up break-outs after a long-haul flight and the effects usually last for a few weeks after I get back home.
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 05, 2009 3:26 am      Reply with quote
I'm not really sure why its a big thing for the Finnish, maybe because its so cold and its a nice break from the cold?? It's probably just a tradition now, where its just strange if you don't have or use a sauna, lol..

I'm Turkish and we have a huge turkish bath tradition, I think its also big with the Russians as well. Although its slightly losing its value, which is really sad because I think its also amazing for the skin.

I have a steam shower in my house and I really need to use it, I'm going to try applying a thick layer of honey to my skin and see how that goes, thanks for the tip!
chorally
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 06, 2009 8:45 am      Reply with quote
it's good for blood circulation. but better use hydrating mask afterwards.
essq2w3e4r
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 10, 2009 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everone for all the good tips. I am encouraged to try the sauna at my gym. In fact, I am shopping for a swimsuit this afternoon!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2009 5:09 am      Reply with quote
I do hot yoga. You absolutely sweat like a pig for 90min. No sauna for me!
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2009 6:52 am      Reply with quote
As has been said I believe they have some good effects and potentially damaging ones.

I trained as a Beauty Therapist and heat treatments where considered effective but need to be used carefully.
What in effect happens is that while you are over heated and sweating your kidneys and liver function slows right down (so do not use sauna/steam room if you have kidney/liver/heart problems!!!) and your core tempreture goes up, this is your bodies way of lowering your body temp and prevent you dehydrating. Then when you have a cold shower or whatever you shock your body back into functioning immediately. This is why it can be so good at detoxing!
If you have any circulatory problems/renal issues/high blood pressure or heart problems. Inflammatory skin conditions (rosacea/exczema etc), infections, are ill (coughts colds) cancer, are on medication, pregnant (also some women find saunas can be unpleasant while they are menstruating) or have had another heat treatment in the past 24 hours (even if you have been lying in the sun) then I would strongly advise you do not have a sauna.

I would also advise those who are not used to them to limit their usage time to 15 - 20 mins tops!
Also be aware that saunas and steam rooms are greta places to pick up infections! Bacteria/virus' and fungi LOVE damp warm environments! So wear sauna shoes and sit on a clean towel!

(Oh and as an aside remove jewellery - it can get hot!)

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 26, 2009 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
I also do Hot Yoga and its really made me sweat like mad with the Yoga position wherelse Sauna make u sweat without exercise
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 2:36 am      Reply with quote
Louisa1303 wrote:
I also do Hot Yoga and its really made me sweat like mad with the Yoga position wherelse Sauna make u sweat without exercise

Hot Yoga is not good for people with eczema though. Everytime I go, there will be a 40% chance I'll get a flare up. That's why I hardly go anymore
southernsun
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 3:18 am      Reply with quote
I heard that sauna is good for the immune system, people say they don't catch the flu so easily if they use the sauna on a regular basis. I don't do this because I have a mild couperose at my cheeks and don't want it to get worse. All I can do is use a steam sauna or a "bio sauna" (sorry, can not find an appropriate english term) sometimes. Second is a sauna with only 60-70 degrees Celsius. I also find it hard to sweat, I think it's something some people have to get use to.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 8:22 am      Reply with quote
i think it's good for ur skin, but don't too often! u also can put some hair treatment cream on your hair before get into sauna room...
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 29, 2009 9:37 am      Reply with quote
I don't know about you Michelle. But I use sauna in 2x a week when I go for a swim. I go to sauna before swimming. What I do is put some special hair oil on my hair and baby oil on my skin. It helps moisturize the skin and hair. At least min. 30 minutes, but you must have lots of water to drink. Every 5 minutes, I go out to drink lots of water and then come back again in the sauna. I don't see any bad thing about sauna at all, mind you, after sauna, my skin is "refresh" and "pink" which means my skin has generated collagen into the surface of my skin Smile Smile Smile

michelle411 wrote:
saunas can be both good and bad. they open your pores(good), make you sweat and your body detoxes that way(good), but, spend too much time in one and you'll dehydrate(bad). so drink lots of water b4 & after, DO NOT stay in longer than 20 mins (preferably u won't even spend that long) & i'd make sure my body was clean & free of any lotions etc. good luck!! Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Go Smile Touch Up Smile Perfecting Ampoules 30 Count - Green Apple (30 ampoules) glominerals Trio Collection (3 items) RevitaLash Simply Stunning Lashes (2 items)