Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
hydrocortisone (bug bite stuff) good for pimples?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bitsyrhea
5% products discount

Tue May 05, 2009 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
I read in a magazine about a week ago that putting hydrocortisone on pimples helps. Since it's made to reduce inflammation and redness. Has anyone else tried this? Or heard of it? Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 05, 2009 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
I doubt it would have much effect and it could potentially make matters worse. Hydrocortisone is a steroid and as a steroid it could actually cause acne to worsen. as for spot treatment, i think there are better options, like salicylic acid or sulfer, which are both anti inflammatories, or benzoyl peroxide which kills bacteria.
Alien
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 06, 2009 5:58 am      Reply with quote
Hydrocortisone is good for itching and rashes as it is a topical cortisone. It should only be used short term.
I find a crushed regular Aspirin mixed with water to make a paste VERY effective
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 06, 2009 6:27 am      Reply with quote
No, OTC hydrocortisone is not strong enough for treatment of pimples. It can helpfull with skin irritation but should only be used very short term, no more then a few days.
bitsyrhea
5% products discount

Wed May 06, 2009 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
okay, thats helpful, i guess i wount try it Wink. I think ill try that aspirin idea! but is it for night or just a few minutes, or what?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 06, 2009 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
Actually, my Pharmacist recommended a hydrocortisone cream for the treatment of pimples. He said it is very good and heals them without any scarring. I used it as he prescribed and it worked so well that here it is ten years later and I always have a tube on hand for the occasional break outs plus any other skin problems. It is extremely healing for pimples.
bitsyrhea
5% products discount

Fri May 08, 2009 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
oh, okay. can you get it at any regular drugstore? or is it prescribed?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 08, 2009 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
No, it's not a prescription. You can buy it over the counter. Just ask your pharmacist for it and he'll know where to get it. I know that on the box it doesn't really say to use it for pimples. They mention skin rashes, bites and other irritations. But, my pharmacist said it was also excellent for pimples and it healed mine in a few days. I had a serious break out problem because of some new skin care products I used. The hydrocortisone worked when nothing else did.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 08, 2009 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
bitsyrhea wrote:
oh, okay. can you get it at any regular drugstore? or is it prescribed?

Its normally in the 1st Aid isle.
bitsyrhea
5% products discount

Fri May 08, 2009 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
using hydrocortisone makes sense if its made to reduce inflammation and redness on skin that has issues already.... so it would be made sensitive, for sensitive skin. that was my thought. i guess i will try it out then Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 08, 2009 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
Alien wrote:
Hydrocortisone is good for itching and rashes as it is a topical cortisone. It should only be used short term.
I find a crushed regular Aspirin mixed with water to make a paste VERY effective

Hey, if the aspirin already expired, would it still work somehwat? I got a cystic acne above my brow right now. It's achy, so I'm pretty desperate. I have a ton of aspirins that I didn't quite use up. Hmmm....
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 08, 2009 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee wrote:
Actually, my Pharmacist recommended a hydrocortisone cream for the treatment of pimples. He said it is very good and heals them without any scarring. I used it as he prescribed and it worked so well that here it is ten years later and I always have a tube on hand for the occasional break outs plus any other skin problems. It is extremely healing for pimples.

Golly I would never have thought to try hydrocortizone on pimples. I guess it can't hurt to try. I'm gonna do that when I get home.
bitsyrhea
5% products discount

Sat May 09, 2009 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
I myself still haven't exactly figured out what cystic pimples are either... so there's no way I could try and answer that question...

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 09, 2009 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hydrocortisone is not an acne treatment. I could see using it on an injured pimple to help speed healing or prevent a scar, that's about it. I have never heard of a dermatologist who recommends it for treatment of pimples. I would stick with effective options of which there are many that we know do work. There will always be someone who thinks a certain product is great, but personally I'd go with what is proven to work.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:37 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |