Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Recs for summer skincare regimen for congested skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
violetta
5% products discount

Wed May 06, 2009 7:18 am      Reply with quote
I am currently using Jan Marini skin care products, and my key product for keeping pimples (few) and blackheads/whiteheads (many) at bay is the Bioclear cream, which contains salicylic acid and azelaic acid. Now that summer is almost here, and I know I will spend some time in direct sunlight (wearing high SPF, of course!), I think I should leave the acids out to avoid hyperpigmentation.

Can anyone recommend another product to help with the congestion, that doesn't contain acids?
(Besides the Bioclear, I'm currently using JM Bioglycolic cleanser, C-esta serum, Transformation cream/Skin Silk Hydrator, Skinzyme mask and SPF 30)

I was thinking of trying JM Nightzyme, even though I know it's not gonna be as effective as Bioclear.

I'd appreciate any tips! Smile
Annonymous
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 07, 2009 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
Well, what works for us isn't guaranteed to work for you (I'm sure you already know this) so it's kind of pointless for me or anyone else to suggest a regimen.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 08, 2009 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Annonymous wrote:
Well, what works for us isn't guaranteed to work for you (I'm sure you already know this) so it's kind of pointless for me or anyone else to suggest a regimen.

I disagree. Isn't that the whole point of this forum to ask/answer questions, give/ask for advice, etc? It may or may not work but it gives someone a few ideas.

BP, bha, tazorac, and oral antibiotic (especially) are the only things that have ever worked for me. HTH

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 08, 2009 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
violetta.... I'm early 40's, combo skin with large pores. Prone to congestion, although I RARELY see blackheads any more.

What has worked for me:

1. Cleanser -- I switch between PSF papaya cleanser, Dr. Bronner's Rose cleanser, to JB Organic cleansing milk. I really don't attach a great deal of importance to cleanser since it doesn't have a prolonged contact with your skin.

2. 2nd step cleanser - microfiber cloth to wipe traces of cleanser away, also provides physical/gentle exfoliation (which can help reduce clogged pores)

3. PSF - 5% BHA solution. I apply this at least once a day after cleansing, focusing on nose and chin where pores are largest.

4. Weekly --- I exfoliate with a physical microderma scrub. I make my own, but the scrubs by either PSF or Naturderm are absolutely lovely. The only reason I don't use them is because I mix up my own batch to save $$.

5. Weekly --- clay mask --- either French Green or Rasshoull Clay --- I mix up my own... if you want to purchase a mask, PSF's acne mud mask is absolutely lovely... Jurlique's Recovery mud mask is very well formulated as well, but a little too steep for my budget. In the summer, I apply a clay mask twice weekly.

6. Weekly --- and this may help more than anything else to reduce congestion... After cleaning your face thoroughly, apply a generous amount of pure jojoba oil and massage it in circular motions all over your lovely face for at least 10 minutes. Focus on the areas with the greatest amount of congestion. Sit down and catch up on the news while you do this... Rinse off with tepid water and wipe off traces with a microfiber cloth. You'll actually see plugs of sebum fall out.

When you first start this... it's called the Oil Cleansing Method, BTW... you may want to do it more than once a week to clear out your pores, then settle down to once a week for maintenance. This is probably one of the best things I learned about on EDS, right up there with PSF skincare and mineral makeup. Smile

Hope this helps,

Athena

P.S. If at all possible, try to find a mineral makeup that works well for you.... the inert ingredients in powdered MMU are less likely to react to acids on your skin, clog your pores or contribute to any breakouts. Unfortunately, in the dead heat of summer, I've found that MMU doesn't hold up so I have to use conventional foundation during the warmest months of the year. Try to counteract this with thorough cleansing and makeup removal in the PM...

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 10, 2009 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Violetta,

Topical treatments can work well to deal with acne prone skin and certainly if you are prone to acne then you need to exfoliate on a regular basis.

However if your skin is oily and congested then more than likely it is due to hormones. It is either an excess or sensitivity to a form of testosterone called DHT that causes our sebaceous glands to enlarge and over produce oil which in turn leads to blackheads, whiteheads and spots/cysts etc. If you are able to control this androgen then you should see a decrease in oil production and an improvement in your skin. Some women do this through birth control pills. It is also possible to see an improvement eating a clean healthy low GI diet as this way of eating through stabilizing blood sugar improves sensitivity to insulin which in turn has a knock on effect on your hormones. You could also try taking a herbal anti-androgen such as peppermint or licorice tea or taking a Saw Palmetto supplement. These herbs are able to block the conversion of testosterone to the more harmful form DHT and so over time you should have less oily skin and less bumps and acne.

I have been taking Saw Palmetto it is still early days but it seems promising. One thing I would say though is check with your GP or if you can a qualified Herbalist before taking Saw Palmetto. I think you would be okay drinking the teas though. It takes around 6 weeks to see the results but if you found it worked it would allow you to ease up on some of those harsher treatments in the height of summer.

Good luck!
violetta
5% products discount

Tue May 26, 2009 1:39 am      Reply with quote
tsjmom, athena123 and pandora77: Thanks for all your suggestions! Smile (Sorry for replying so late, but I've been away)

You're so right, tsjmom: The whole point of this forum is to share knowledge and advice, even though not everything works for everyone. So thanks for sharing!

I have actually tried most of the things you guys suggest. I have been struggling with these skin issues since I was a teenager (I'm 32 now). Have tried a lot of different skincare and treatments. My father and sister have the same skintype more or less, so I believe it is in the genes and has to do with hormones. I did take birth control pills before, but as I'm not in a relationship right now and don't really like the idea of taking pills, I'm trying to find other solutions. The best so far has been the Jan Marini skincare, and Bioclear being the key product (salisylic acid/azelaic acid)
But never tried herbal anti-androgens, so will check that out! I tried jojoba oil for moisturizing, but unfortunately did nothing for me. But will try it for cleansing as suggested, too se if that can help.

What I'd like to do is continue using the Bioclear, but I stopped a few weeks ago as I'm afraid the acids will cause damage on the skin, as I do intend to spend some time in the sun this summer (wearing SPF 30 at least).

Those of you who use BHA, do you think I'd be ok continue using Bioclear during summer (PM only)?

Sorry about looong reply Anxious
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 26, 2009 5:01 am      Reply with quote
violetta wrote:

Those of you who use BHA, do you think I'd be ok continue using Bioclear during summer (PM only)?

Sorry about looong reply Anxious

Any method of exfoliation you use, whether it's BHA, AHA, or mechanical exfoliation, will increase sun sensitivity.

If I'm not mistaken, the Bioclear cream only has 2% salicylic acid. If that's the case, you should be OK, provided you use a good sunscreen (a hat would be an added bonus!)

However, how many hours are you thinking of spending in the sun? Are you talking about just walking/outdoor activities? Or actually suntanning?

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
violetta
5% products discount

Tue May 26, 2009 6:17 am      Reply with quote
Josee: I think you might be right re. the salicylic content (2%). Can't remember exactly. It also contains azelaic acid, but I don't think azelaic acid increases sun sensitivity.

I mean actual suntanning, as I am going to Spain this summer and know we will be spending time on the beach. I will use high spf though, and a hat.

My skin is not sensitive or thin, rather oily and a bit rough/thick.
violetta
5% products discount

Tue May 26, 2009 7:22 am      Reply with quote
pandora77 wrote:
Violetta,

You could also try taking a herbal anti-androgen such as peppermint or licorice tea or taking a Saw Palmetto supplement. These herbs are able to block the conversion of testosterone to the more harmful form DHT and so over time you should have less oily skin and less bumps and acne.

I have been taking Saw Palmetto it is still early days but it seems promising. One thing I would say though is check with your GP or if you can a qualified Herbalist before taking Saw Palmetto. I think you would be okay drinking the teas though. It takes around 6 weeks to see the results but if you found it worked it would allow you to ease up on some of those harsher treatments in the height of summer.

Good luck!

Pandora77, how much/how often do you reckon one would have to drink the teas to have any effect? I'm not sure if liqorice tea would be a good idea for me, as my blood pressure is slightly high. I do drink peppermint tea from time to time, but not regularly.
Are you taking Saw Palmetto for acne purposes? I did a bit of research just now, and it looks interesting. I definitely prefer natural treament whenever possible Smile
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:06 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |