Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)
Who knows what Medication you can take to reduce melanin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 11, 2009 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
My sister said her derm gave her meds to take twice a day 2 caps each time and it helps to lighten her spots keeping her face spot free since it blocks melanin production. I tried to ask her what meds will do that but she said her derm won't tell her since he didn't want her to go buy it somewhere else. Does anyone know of what meds can block melanin production?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 11, 2009 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
Glucosamine would be my guess as the active ingredient;

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-06/msl-sfn063006.php

Chances are the 2 capsules a day are nothing more than the "Glucosamine + Condroiton" supplement available everywhere.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 11, 2009 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
OMG if that's the case, I should be protected. I take that every day with my coffee. I use 1/2 tsp. That would be a nice unexpected side benefit. I use it for joint pain.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 11, 2009 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:
OMG if that's the case, I should be protected. I take that every day with my coffee. I use 1/2 tsp. That would be a nice unexpected side benefit. I use it for joint pain.

Me too, it really helps the dreaded arthritis..

Oh, and niacinamide and kukui oil applied topically also help to fade hyperpigmentation.. You can get it at skinactives.com and just add some to whatever you are using. They have topical glucosamine also. (I don't recommend the supplement for application on your skin, because of the fillers.)

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 11, 2009 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Bira wrote:

Me too, it really helps the dreaded arthritis..

Oh, and niacinamide and kukui oil applied topically also help to fade hyperpigmentation.. You can get it at skinactives.com and just add some to whatever you are using. They have topical glucosamine also. (I don't recommend the supplement for application on your skin, because of the fillers.)

I think I will add them to my pearl cream. Very Happy Thanks again Kass.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 11, 2009 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
Is it normal that skinactives charges $6 for shipping even for a very light item?
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 11, 2009 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, I found that GOW charges a lot less for niacinamide and for more of it. Their shipping is also cheaper.

Does anyone know if glucosamine sulfate powder is the same as n-acetyl glucosamine?

I bought the Source Naturals Glucosamine Sulfate Powder from vitacost. I also just tried searching for the difference between that one and the n-acetyl one. It seems like they're saying that the glucosamine sulfate is better. Is it correct?
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 11, 2009 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
I bought the niacinamide powder (1 oz) from GOW for $4.75 plus $3.25 shipping. Not bad considering that I'd pay $6 shipping alone if buoght from skinactives and that's for only 5 grams, which is only 0.33 oz.

I would still like to hear about the medication, if anyone knows. My sister said it really helps her and it works. It costs her $16 for a one-month supply (2 caps each time, and twice a day). She also said that IPL helps her get rid of her spots. That together with the medication taken internally is what did the trick for her.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 12, 2009 9:05 am      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:
I tried to ask her what meds will do that but she said her derm won't tell her since he didn't want her to go buy it somewhere else.

If a derm declined to tell me what treatment I'd been given, I'd decline to pay their bill. Simple. But that's just me Laughing

Seriously though, most countries have some kind of regulation in place prohibiting medical practitioners dispensing unlabelled drugs -- even if it's not a "drug", there are very good reasons for proper labelling of any treatment dispensed. I'm sure the local medical board would take a dim view of a doc dispensing unlabelled pills and refusing to inform a patient what treatment she was receiving ... not to mention it's just plain rude and arrogant!

Sorry to say this, Bira, but it sounds like the derm in question may be putting his own financial interests before the interests of the patient, your sister. Not a good quality in a doctor...
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 12, 2009 10:42 am      Reply with quote
appletini wrote:

If a derm declined to tell me what treatment I'd been given, I'd decline to pay their bill. Simple. But that's just me Laughing

Seriously though, most countries have some kind of regulation in place prohibiting medical practitioners dispensing unlabelled drugs -- even if it's not a "drug", there are very good reasons for proper labelling of any treatment dispensed. I'm sure the local medical board would take a dim view of a doc dispensing unlabelled pills and refusing to inform a patient what treatment she was receiving ... not to mention it's just plain rude and arrogant!

Sorry to say this, Bira, but it sounds like the derm in question may be putting his own financial interests before the interests of the patient, your sister. Not a good quality in a doctor...

I absolutely agree! The patient NEEDS to know what she's taking because she could be taking some other drugs that could interact with whatever the doctor is giving her, or God knows what.

I honestly find that attitude quite antiethical and I would definitely swith dermatologists!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 12, 2009 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:
I would still like to hear about the medication, if anyone knows.

I was hoping you would just be happy with topical applications which help to fade spots over time, and discourage new ones.. Vitamin C Serum, Glucosamine, Niacinamide + Kukui Oil, all *help* in that regard..

There is serious "medications" to halt/stop melanin production, but is best used sparingly and under a DR's supervision for say, 'Vitiligo'. Also realize that it is not approved by the FDA, has not been tested on humans or mammals and I don't believe it's available in the US altogether.. But when someone wants to get there hands on it, there is always a way -- think Michael Jackson, and a few other celebs who are mysteriously getting lighter..

Here's the big problem though.. It does not discriminate *which* melanin to keep, and which melanin to get rid of. Therefore it stops melanin production throughout the body.. So what you say? Well here's what; melanin is in our eyes, brain stem, inner ears + throughout the endocrine system. It is also plays a part in the mechanism responsible for producing adrenaline, amino acids like cysteine and L-Dopa... In short, it plays a part in all the things that keep our organs and nervous system alive and well.

Now it's up to you to weigh it all out. Does vanity win out at all cost, or will you take the slow and steady safe way?

With all that said though, I am still of the opinion that what your sister received from the Doc is more like a Glucosamine supplement.. The price you quoted above would not come close to covering the real thing.. But more importantly, a Dr (or Nurse Practitioner) cannot dispense prescription meds to patients in *secret*. That is especially the case when serious side effects are likely.

Because I have a medical background, I feel it would be irresponsible of me to list the medication (so I won't)... But what I would suggest, is that you do a google on the contraindications associated with meds that interfere with or stop melanin production.

HTH!

Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 14, 2009 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't quite think of it the way you girls put so eloquently, so yes, I agree with you all. It's not a good idea to take meds without knowing what it is, and if it will interfere with other meds you're already taking. (In my case, I'm not taking any but that is quite besides the point.)

Kass, you're always a voice of wisdom and reason.

By the way, Kass, do you know if I could use the Glucosamine Sulfate powder that I take internally (no filler - it's not in a capsule form but rather it's in powder form) by adding it to a cream along with niacinamide that I bought from GOW? Or does it have to be the N-acetyl Glucosamine form?

Thanks everyone.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 17, 2009 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
Bumpity bump bump bumping for Kassy Smile

Bira wrote:

By the way, Kass, do you know if I could use the Glucosamine Sulfate powder that I take internally (no filler - it's not in a capsule form but rather it's in powder form) by adding it to a cream along with niacinamide that I bought from GOW? Or does it have to be the N-acetyl Glucosamine form?

Thanks everyone.

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 18, 2009 8:53 am      Reply with quote
pumpingmummy wrote:
Bumpity bump bump bumping for Kassy Smile

Bira wrote:

Thanks everyone.

You guys give me way too much credit ... Embarassed

The only problem I think with something that's meant to be a supplement, is that it usually has fillers in it..

My suggestion would be to drop a tsp of the powder into a glass of cold water.. If it dissolves fully and quickly it probably doesn't have fillers, and is suitable to use in a cream or serum.. (If it doesn't dissolve fully, it will be the 'fillers' that are the culprit). This is only my guess though!

lapilates

Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hello All,

I have tried IPL, all types of creams and other lasers - combo laser spot treatments. I am dying to have some feedback on what I can take orally or what I can make at home or what I can buy.

I see a very good derm in Century City and we are at the point of doing a cream that is used for pre-cancerous cells as a full peeling process, but I would look horrific at work for about 8 weeks, but I am close to doing it.

Can anyone give feedback.
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
lapilates wrote:
Hello All,

I have tried IPL, all types of creams and other lasers - combo laser spot treatments. I am dying to have some feedback on what I can take orally or what I can make at home or what I can buy.

I see a very good derm in Century City and we are at the point of doing a cream that is used for pre-cancerous cells as a full peeling process, but I would look horrific at work for about 8 weeks, but I am close to doing it.

Can anyone give feedback.

I have melasma that I've treated with Obagi Nu Derm and that wiped it out but about 50% came back when I went off hydroquinone (HQ). So I started taking MSM, pycnogenol and Heliocare as well as being vigilant about sunscreen reapplication and wearing hats and sunglasses. I go on HQ every few months (one bottle of Obagi Blender) and then take three months off. Also use Vitamin C serum, azaleic acid, and tretinoin 0.1% to help lighten/prevent hyperpigmentation.

I am outdoors a lot and find I have about 20% of the original melasma patches so some supplement must be working.

Dry skin but not many wrinkles; 50s and Asian; Topicals: Vit C, tretinoin, hydroquinone & azaleic acid for melasma; Likes: SK-II, Shiseido, Shu Uemura, Skinceuticals, Obagi, P50, Sunday Riley, Hada Labo, facial oils
sharky2
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:49 am      Reply with quote
Lapilates: I use a cream called Curaderm made from
eggplant skins. It is likely what you are referring to as it was developed for precancerous grows. It works well. You do need to be careful because it does eat away at certain types of spots/growths so if you put a barrier on it (like a bandaid) it could give a sore spot and some say they get scarring. If you do not cover it however it will not do that. I have used it for several years and really like it.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:20 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |