Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skincare for nut allergy sufferers?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
merreymum

Mon May 11, 2009 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I am new to this forum but not to EDS which i have been using for about 5 years now.

I have been using Pevonia products since emmigrating to Australia and they have been wonderful. I am 38 and have very sensitive skin, prone to eczema and have a severe milk intolerance such that i am only able to drink Rice milk now. Every so often i try different products but inevitably return to Pevonia because they cause breakouts, or eczema etc.

Unfortunately i am forced to change now as my son has a severe allergy(anaphylactic) to peanuts and tree nuts. we have had to eliminate everything that has even traces etc and to my alarm i found out that Pevonia(most of its moisturisers) include hazlenut oil or sweet almond oil. Even a trace on his skin causes hives and red welts.

i was wondering if there are any out there that have a similar problem and which brands they have turned to?

This month i have changed to Actifirm Sun Stop Anti-Aging Sunscreen SPF 35 which is a sunscreen and moisturiser in one, and stuck with Pevonia vit C eye gel and its Timeless cleansing wash. I live on the gold coast so i need a sunscreen.

Thanks for reading my post,
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 11, 2009 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
I am so very sorry about your sons' allergies Sad

My son is also fatally allergic to peanuts and to some tree nuts. Keeping nut meats, oil, and extracts out of his diet has been quite the challenge Exclamation Reading ingredient labels is very important. Even if something does not contain nuts it may be made on/or in a facility that also processes nuts. Here in the USA the candy M&M plain have peanuts in them

He is also prone to eczema and acne.

So far he is not showing any allergic reactions to my products with almond in them.
merreymum

Mon May 11, 2009 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you and my sympathy's to you in return. My son is only 8 months so at this stage he has been tested for peanuts and cashew nuts which he reacted to strongly. So the allergist has said to avoid all nuts until his 12 month test which will contain alot more tree nuts. I am praying he is in the 20% category that grow out of it but the chance is slim.

So at this stage i cannot use any nuts but have a feeling brazil nut is okay as before i knew i used to massage it(yikes) into his scalp as he had cradle cap!!

It is frightening how many products, foods and skincare products have nuts in them or traces or even manufactured on the same conveyor belt as them.

Thanks for the reply:)
Alien
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 12, 2009 11:46 am      Reply with quote
I too have a sever nut allergy- ingestion leads to hospital. Very scary, so I understand your concern.
For that reason I tend to stay away from anything "organic" as the products invariably use nut oil and raw oils at that.
Today I'm using copper peptides and emu oil from Skin Biology.
FYI: if you search for posts by NOTCH he is most informative about oils and organic ingredients. He, John, talked me into using Macadamia oil- explainning that since it was processed the protiens, thats the stuff that causes allergic reaction, was "cooked" out and very safe.
I'm not saying YOU should try it- but knowlage is power..
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 12, 2009 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
If your son is not allergic to Shea butter there is a line by L'Occitane called Ultra Comforting Shea & Cotton
Here is the blurb:
With all the moisturising benefits of the shea butter, these products have been formulated with no perfumes, colourants, alcohol or preservatives to minimise the risk of allergic reaction and suit the most sensitive skin.

My nut allergic son does very well with the 100% Shea butter helping to control his eczema.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 12, 2009 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum Merreymum!

I think you will find this site very useful.. They also offer a message board, which could come in handy for you;

http://www.talkallergy.com/index.php

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 12, 2009 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Kassy!!

Sent the link to my friend. Her 8 month old son has some food allergies and exzema and maybe asthma as well. She picked up some books from the library but will be happy with a support group to help answer questions. I took some 100% Shea butter from Whole Foods to her so that she can keep the baby slathered up.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 12, 2009 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
One of my specialties while in practice before I retired, was "Allergy, Asthma + Immunology"... I found it to be the area, where mother's in particular, needed the most support and reassurance on an almost daily basis..

I'd like to give a big old cheer, to all of you mother's and friends, who are not only watching out for your precious children, but are watching out for your friends as well.

Knowledge is power, and can literally be the difference between life and death.. Arm yourselves with the knowledge, and you will have the power to intercede if an emergency arises..

And for Gawds sake, always have an epi-pen and benadryl at the ready ... cause $hit happens in a moment.. Wink

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi merreymum,
how is your son doing, hopefully he will outgrow his allergy to nuts. I am also allergic to some nuts and I understand your concern. The best thing is to get an EpiPen, as another poster already suggested.
Have you found a product that is safe?

5% products discount

Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:55 am      Reply with quote
please try some products of Le mer~~

Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:29 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |