Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Tretinoin Cream Vs Tretinoin Gel
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 14, 2009 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
I was wondering which is better Tretinoin cream vs gel? I was using the cream for awhile until I found out that isoproply myristate causes pore clogging. The gel contains alcohol which isn't good for your skin either. So which one is the best to use?

I'm using the generic brand maybe the non generic brand doesn't have those ingredients? Razz
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2009 4:14 am      Reply with quote
The gel is supposedly for oily skin types, but for many people it can really speed up the so called awkward effects (peeling, redness etc). However the exception to this is the microgel, which works brilliantly but is usually in quite high strenghts (0.1% for example). This releases the tretinoin gradually throughout the night, so your skin doesn't get an immediate whack of the 0.1%).

The cream is supposed to be good for dry skin types, but many have reported that they still need to apply a moisturiser a good half hour after its application.

Those ingredients although are in the Retin A formations usually are not in a big quality to do damage to skin (but this depends on the individual), but actually Retin A in itself encourages cell turnover so I am not sure that I could see it clogging pores unless it was mixed with something else.

5% products discount

Sat May 16, 2009 7:09 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure what eactly is good for your skin type, but I'll tell you the Tretinoin Cream was HORRIBLE for my skin. It was red, and peeling all over. I actually had resonable sizes of skin coming off. So I went to my esthitician and she said never to use it. Those were just my experiences Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 16, 2009 11:42 am      Reply with quote
bitsyrhea wrote:
I'm not sure what eactly is good for your skin type, but I'll tell you the Tretinoin Cream was HORRIBLE for my skin. It was red, and peeling all over. I actually had resonable sizes of skin coming off. So I went to my esthitician and she said never to use it. Those were just my experiences Smile

What did your dermatologist say - and were you applying the prescription retinoids in accordance with his or her instructions?
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 16, 2009 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
Some people need to start with a retinoid ever 3 days then graduate to 2 days and eventually every day. Some people can only use it every second day at the most. Other options include using a lower strength or buffering it by using a moisturizer underneath. It is hard to use just a pea size sometimes but it really is enough.
poulinsj
5% products discount

Sat May 16, 2009 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
I've used both and personally i like the gel better. However, i feel it's easier to apply the cream. My doc recommends the cream over the gel.
alexol
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 16, 2009 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
Technically, the gel-based tretinion product is better than cream-based one. But for some users, the gel version is also easier to cause uncormfort. I believe the cream one should be considered initially.
SarasotaLady

Sat May 16, 2009 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
You might also look into tazorac, another retinoid. I use the cream form 1% strength with great results and no peeling or other side effects. You only need a pea sized amount. To aid in spreading, I apply a bit of serum or moisturizer to my face first, and then the tazorac.
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 16, 2009 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried both and for now I'm sticking with the cream.

The gel is too drying for me.

Also... for the gel you have to wait 20 minutes after washing your face before applying it (or else it's even MORE irritant!) so that's too much work for me.
bitsyrhea
5% products discount

Sun May 17, 2009 5:57 am      Reply with quote
SugarFreeSheila wrote:
bitsyrhea wrote:

What did your dermatologist say - and were you applying the prescription retinoids in accordance with his or her instructions?

I'm not sure what a prescription retinoid is, but all the prescription came with was one little tube, and I used it once a day, at night. So I did do what the instructions said.
And she said that they give out Tretinoin Cream to everyone although it only works with very few people.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 17, 2009 7:06 am      Reply with quote
bitsyrhea wrote:

I'm not sure what a prescription retinoid is, but all the prescription came with was one little tube, and I used it once a day, at night. So I did do what the instructions said.
And she said that they give out Tretinoin Cream to everyone although it only works with very few people.

Mmmm I don't know why your aesthetistician said that but... in fact research shows the opposite.

Retinoids (tretinoin) is the active that has the most research behind it to back up the claim that it is an "anti-aging" active. It works on most people in fact, and in the ones that doesn't work, it's usually due to sensitive skin.

As people have said here, the thing is that you have to try slowly.

When I first started using retinoids (I have sensitive skin) I was not careful and I basically burned my skin!

So then my dermatologist started me with 0.001 every other day... working up to every day. Then I switched to 0.004, then to 0.025 and now I'm using 0.05 daily with no problem. It took me a long time to get used to it but it's worth it!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 17, 2009 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Bitsyrhea,
I know you said you had issues with acne on another thread and I was just wondering what your "plan of attack" is at this point. You said that Retin A didn't work for you, but it seems you were having some normal reactions: redness, dry skin, and peeling. What percent were you using? Also, what about Tazorac? My personal opinion is that the cream forms of Retin A might be a little easier to apply while the gel could be too drying for some people. Either way, I think it's excellent for both acne and anti-aging.

Josee: I agree with you, too. Sometimes we need to start out slowly with a lower percent and then move up as our skin adjusts. I'm currently using 0.05% Retin A with the Obagi Nuderm program.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 18, 2009 7:38 am      Reply with quote
alexol wrote:
Technically, the gel-based tretinion product is better than cream-based one. But for some users, the gel version is also easier to cause uncormfort. I believe the cream one should be considered initially.

Hi, could you explain why the gel-based product is better since the gel-based and the cream-based had the same absorption rate?

Thanks!
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 18, 2009 8:29 am      Reply with quote
I've used generic tretinoin gel before and I didn't like the texture at all. Its consistency is like that of jello, and very difficult to spread evenly. It was very drying as I had to wait more than an hour before applying a moisturizer on top, or else it would "pill up" when mixed with anything. All in all, I think the cream form is much easier to use. HTH!

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 19, 2009 4:33 am      Reply with quote
I think for someone just starting out in the world of retinoids should start out with an over the counter retinol like Green Cream etc...

I used Lv3 and 6 for several months and a few months on Skinceuticals 1% before starting out on retin .05% cream....my skin transitioned great to the retin-a (sans a few peelies and redness around my mouth which lasted a few weeks) and I believe using the OTC retinols were the reason behind that. I could even use retin under my eyes and every night from the get go.

Also....rileygirl suggested I use Aquaphor ointment in the mouth corners because I was getting irritation there. Now, I put a coating of that on my lips before my retin and voila! No more irritation there.....

I had heard too that gel was more for oily skin people...I have dry skin so I bought the cream instead. Would like to try the 1% retin someday, but I see alldaychemist only sells the 1 in gel.......

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 19, 2009 4:46 am      Reply with quote
bren21 wrote:

I had heard too that gel was more for oily skin people...I have dry skin so I bought the cream instead. Would like to try the 1% retin someday, but I see alldaychemist only sells the 1 in gel.......

The thing with the 0.1 Retin-A is that it is not more collagen-inducing than the 0.05. So, unless you have acne, it really won't do much more to your skin except irritate it.
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 19, 2009 5:24 am      Reply with quote
Josee wrote:
bren21 wrote:

The thing with the 0.1 Retin-A is that it is not more collagen-inducing than the 0.05. So, unless you have acne, it really won't do much more to your skin except irritate it.

Good to know! Thanks for the info....I guess I don't need it then and will stick with the .05% which is working great for me.....

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
bornxtoxrun

Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:16 pm      Reply with quote
I just got the tretinoin medicine in the mail. It says tretinoin gel USP, 0.05% 20 g on the outside, but when i squeezed it out of the tube, it was a yellow-ish color. All of the gels that I have used have been clear. I need the gel, not the cream and I can not tell if I have the right thing. If anyone has had the gel or cream, can you tell me what color they are each supposed to be? ALSO: I looked at a PDF chart and it said that the tretinoin cream is 0.05% and 20 (g) while all of the gels are 0.0025%, 0.001%, etc. Hopefully you can tell me what color the gel is, and what color the cream is, and which one I have. Thanks for your help!
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:55 am      Reply with quote
It depends on what agents are used with the particular brand your using, but I've had clear gels, cloudy gels and yellowish gels too so its not unheard of. Different brands mix it with different substances. I queried the yellowish colour with my derm too believing it was probably out of date, but she said that it was absolutely fine and was that particular brand's ingredients (Think it was Johnson & Johnson).
bornxtoxrun wrote:
I just got the tretinoin medicine in the mail. It says tretinoin gel USP, 0.05% 20 g on the outside, but when i squeezed it out of the tube, it was a yellow-ish color. All of the gels that I have used have been clear. I need the gel, not the cream and I can not tell if I have the right thing. If anyone has had the gel or cream, can you tell me what color they are each supposed to be? ALSO: I looked at a PDF chart and it said that the tretinoin cream is 0.05% and 20 (g) while all of the gels are 0.0025%, 0.001%, etc. Hopefully you can tell me what color the gel is, and what color the cream is, and which one I have. Thanks for your help!
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:57 am      Reply with quote
The gel is definitely available at 0.1% but I don't think you can get that online, but you can get the micro 0.1% which I actually think is better as although it realises 0.1% it does so gradually through the night rather than overpowering the skin all at once with 0.1%.
bornxtoxrun wrote:
ALSO: I looked at a PDF chart and it said that the tretinoin cream is 0.05% and 20 (g) while all of the gels are 0.0025%, 0.001%, etc. Hopefully you can tell me what color the gel is, and what color the cream is, and which one I have. Thanks for your help!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:14 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
The gel is definitely available at 0.1% but I don't think you can get that online, but you can get the micro 0.1% which I actually think is better as although it realises 0.1% it does so gradually through the night rather than overpowering the skin all at once with 0.1%.
bornxtoxrun wrote:
ALSO: I looked at a PDF chart and it said that the tretinoin cream is 0.05% and 20 (g) while all of the gels are 0.0025%, 0.001%, etc. Hopefully you can tell me what color the gel is, and what color the cream is, and which one I have. Thanks for your help!

You can buy 0.1% Gel on line from Alldaychemist.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:35 am      Reply with quote
I couldnt use retin-a cream or gel. I then tried tazorac cream and its been excellent for me for several years. More recently I'm giving Atralin a try. So far I like it alot but not sure if I like it better then tazorac cream.
bornxtoxrun

Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
It depends on what agents are used with the particular brand your using, but I've had clear gels, cloudy gels and yellowish gels too so its not unheard of. Different brands mix it with different substances. I queried the yellowish colour with my derm too believing it was probably out of date, but she said that it was absolutely fine and was that particular brand's ingredients (Think it was Johnson & Johnson).
bornxtoxrun wrote:

Thanks for helping clear that up! I will give my tretinoin gel a try and hope that it is the right stuff. Very Happy
CLxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
The thing with the 0.1 Retin-A is that it is not more collagen-inducing than the 0.05. So, unless you have acne, it really won't do much more to your skin except irritate it.[/quote]

Oh I mix 0.1% Stivea cream with my daily moisturiser thinking it would dilute it, will there be difference. In fact I found it works less irritating if i mix retin-a with moisturiser and apply it at one go than apply the same amount of retin-a & moisturier hours later separately.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried both products and I find that cream is easily absorbed by the skin unlike gel. Cream can be applied evenly while gel not so.

It also does not matter whether you are using a generic brand or not.

It is best to use a pea-size amount and not so much.

SkinCareJunkie wrote:
I was wondering which is better Tretinoin cream vs gel? I was using the cream for awhile until I found out that isoproply myristate causes pore clogging. The gel contains alcohol which isn't good for your skin either. So which one is the best to use?

I'm using the generic brand maybe the non generic brand doesn't have those ingredients? Razz
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |