Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
natural moisturizer for acne-prone skin? help!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
cejl
5% products discount

Mon May 18, 2009 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! This is my first post. I apologize if this has been touched on already, but I am looking for some more specific recs...

I have dehydrated, sensitive, acne-prone skin with lots of blackheads on my cheeks, chin and nose. My cheeks have big pores and tend to be the most acne prone and red/irritated. I try to be minimalist and natural when it comes to my face, not irritate it too much and I barely wear makeup. I am almost 30 and have some visible wrinkles around my eyes, so I need moisture! I've also been told by estheticians that I have dehydrated skin..

So, every moisturizer seems to clog my skin or break me out. I used La Roche Posay Toleriane fluide for a couple years, and recently have narrowed down that the squalene in it is probably clogging my pores, especially since I was using 2x day.

I have tried to use pure organic jojoba oil and that too seems to give me some white heads.

Current regime:
AM
wash with water
spray with Aveda sensitive toner
jojoba under eyes
coppertone faces spf 30 (if going out for more than 30 mins..)

PM
Aveda Outer Peace foaming face wash
Aveda sensitive toner
one drop jojoba oil on face, more under eyes
tea tree on acne if present

I started doing the OCM every few days with 50% castor and 50% jojoba with a drop of lavender and sometimes it makes my skin look great the next day, other days it made my pores look big and a bit irritated.. I guess I need to experiment a little with the concoction.

So there's my long-winded story.. let me know what moisturizers, pref. natural ones, have worked for you.. or any products for that matter! Thanks so much!!!
Wink

cait.
Annonymous
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 18, 2009 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Try Dr. Hauschka moisturizers, I would recommend the Rose day cream since you have dry skin but it probably would be too much because of your acne. They have a light version of it though but I would suggest trying the kit which comes with three or four samples of their moisturizers. I use the quince day cream which is more for normal skin but you could give it a try.
tigger
5% products discount

Tue May 19, 2009 8:37 am      Reply with quote
Oh, please stop using the Coppertone. They use some of the worst ingredients. This is almost for sure contributing to your breakouts. Go with a natural, matte sunblock that is free of chemicals and parabens. Try the Keys Solar RX. Their luminous moisturizer is great too, so you may want to pick up samples of their products (wash, moisturizer, Sunscreen etc)
cejl
5% products discount

Tue May 19, 2009 9:48 am      Reply with quote
Annonymous wrote:
Try Dr. Hauschka moisturizers, I would recommend the Rose day cream since you have dry skin but it probably would be too much because of your acne. They have a light version of it though but I would suggest trying the kit which comes with three or four samples of their moisturizers. I use the quince day cream which is more for normal skin but you could give it a try.

Thanks for the advice! I am really interested in the Dr. Hauschka, but I am pretty sure it would make me break out.. I read the reviews on MUA of the light Rose cream and a lot of acne-prone people had problems with it. Seems to have a few comedogenic oils (avocado, sesame).. I went to their website and I'm going to do the online skin consultation and see what it comes up with! Thanks!

5% products discount

Tue May 19, 2009 9:52 am      Reply with quote
tigger wrote:
Oh, please stop using the Coppertone. They use some of the worst ingredients. This is almost for sure contributing to your breakouts. Go with a natural, matte sunblock that is free of chemicals and parabens. Try the Keys Solar RX. Their luminous moisturizer is great too, so you may want to pick up samples of their products (wash, moisturizer, Sunscreen etc)

I know, I know! It's terrible, but I haven't been able to decide on a new sunscreen.. I am so indecisive and tired of throwing away $$ on products that make me break out. The Keys sunscreen sounds amazing, but I am nervous (from reading MUA reviews and someone's experience on here) that it will clog my pores since it contains avocado oil. The shea butter, I'm not sure if that's comedogenic or not.

5% products discount

Tue May 19, 2009 9:58 am      Reply with quote
It's only $3 for a 1/2oz sample (which is what started with), so you've really got nothing to lose. I have sensitive, breakout, clog-prone skin in the t-zone and forehead and this doesn't make them any worse. It's worth a shot, considering how pure the products are.

Also, try a sample of the island RX foaming wash. Completely pure and works better than anything I've used without stripping my skin. FYI, I've used dermalogica's medibac, prescription Salicylic, IS clinical's cleansing complex, Neutrogina's acne washes (all of them) and many, many more.

Like I said, all the samples are just $3 for generous sized samples.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 19, 2009 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I'm one of the poor souls who broke out terribly from using Dr. H products. It's a shame because they smell great and I love that they are natural.

If you need a new moisturizer and prefer something natural, I'd highly recommend heading over to your local Sephora and investigating Korres' moisturizers. If your skin is dehydrated, it doesn't get much better than their Thyme Honey Moisturizer. It's very rich and soothing, but it has never caused me to break out. I just recently got a sample of a new one--- I think it was called Materia for oily skin, and it's great on the warm and humid days. You could get a few samples and see which ones suit you the best. I've also heard really great things about their yogurt moisturizer and rose moisturizer. HTH!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 19, 2009 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Try to isolate what is making you break out. It could be anything in your regimen. (For example, I love the way Aveda smells, but have never had good luck with the products on my face.)

Other culprits for me--mineral oil, rosehip oil, many sunscreens, certain chemicals. Right now, I'm having good luck with a drop or two of organic Argan oil spread lightly on a wet face. And I'm loving the 302 products, but they can be tough sledding. See above.

5% products discount

Tue May 19, 2009 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
A few ideas:
1. Is your sunscreen waterproof? When you use the sunscreen, do you just use your regular cleanser? If your sunscreen is waterproof, you might need something more serious to get it off properly. Try products for removing waterproof makeup.
2. Maybe you can use a just a hydrating serum instead of a moisturizing cream.
3. Maybe the oils aren’t for you. Even though, unlike you, I have really dry skin, I can not use pure oils on my face at all, not for OCM, not for moisturizing. That's just me, of course. Just pointing out the oils aren't for everyone, and if they don't seem promising now, you might want to go a different route.
4. You mention your cheeks are red. Rosacea, maybe? Could account for the breakouts/congestion too.
cejl
5% products discount

Wed May 20, 2009 7:27 am      Reply with quote
Wow! Thanks for all the replies, everyone...

Tigger: I ordered a $3 sample of the Keys sunscreen - Thanks!

Manslayerliz: I wish we had Sephora in Montreal! I always go when I'm in other cities.. I will see if I can get these samples elsewhere.

nakedidknits:
I know what you mean about Aveda.. after I read what you said, I painstakingly researched each ingred. in the All Sensitive Toner I'm using (which I love) and it appears to be safe. I don't think I would ever dare to put their moisturizer on my face.. I know some who love all their products, but my face is too much of a loose cannon!! I have a never tried Argan oil - you have never broken out from it? Is it non-comed.?

Elaanna, to answer your Qs:
A few ideas:
1. Is your sunscreen waterproof?
No, it's not, even so I barely wear it. I don't really need to go outside for very long at a time. When I wear it, I end up washing it off as soon as I can bc it feels so gross! I use Aveda outer peace foaming face wash.

2. Maybe you can use a just a hydrating serum instead of a moisturizing cream.
Hmm, I have never looked into this.. do you have any in mind?

3. Maybe the oils aren’t for you. Even though, unlike you, I have really dry skin, I can not use pure oils on my face at all, not for OCM, not for moisturizing. That's just me, of course. Just pointing out the oils aren't for everyone, and if they don't seem promising now, you might want to go a different route.
This is a really good pt. I have only tried OCM a few times in the last week, and the times that it works, my skin does look great, less redness, hydrated, etc. I think it might have been too much lavender originally. I think I have to stay away from oil as a moisturizer (the jojoba).

4. You mention your cheeks are red. Rosacea, maybe? Could account for the breakouts/congestion too.
Eek.. I hope not. I've had a few facials with estheticians, and they have never said anything.. my face doesn't look like pics of rosacea I've seen (no redness on nose, upper cheeks, no bumps), but I guess it can come in stages? My face isn't really bright red.. just kind of always red around where blemishes are still healing or sort of irritated blackheads, if that makes sense.

Thanks everyone!!! This is very helpful.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 20, 2009 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Just a suggestion but some of the Yonka products are really great and are ideal for acne skin. I have tried the Juvenil with great results and I am currently using Cream 93 which is more for combination skin but has the added bonus of Ylang Ylang to help clear blackheads. I know they have some other creams for more acne prone skin but could be worth a try.

Also, I would suggest you try Dr Hauschka's Cleansing Cream to use as an exfoliant as its great for getting rid of dry skin and helping to heal acne. I remember someone suggesting you can use it as a spot treatment overnight too.
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 22, 2009 12:31 am      Reply with quote
I think it could be the Aveda cleanser drying your face. It has lavender in it probably and foams so those two ingredients can be drying. So then you try to fix it by adding oil.

You might also try mineral makeup for the spf protection so you dont breakout from sunscreen. I suggest using a latex sponge instead of a brush cos they can cause microtears and give you more breakouts when you push the minerals into the pores.

I also really like Pure Skin Formulation's Day Lotion right now. Its working great to give me some hydration but not too much oil. I wish I didnt have to shake it each time cos its watery.
cejl
5% products discount

Fri May 22, 2009 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
sakura wrote:
I think it could be the Aveda cleanser drying your face. It has lavender in it probably and foams so those two ingredients can be drying. So then you try to fix it by adding oil.

You might also try mineral makeup for the spf protection so you dont breakout from sunscreen. I suggest using a latex sponge instead of a brush cos they can cause microtears and give you more breakouts when you push the minerals into the pores.

I also really like Pure Skin Formulation's Day Lotion right now. Its working great to give me some hydration but not too much oil. I wish I didnt have to shake it each time cos its watery.

Thanks for the tip..
is lavender really drying, though? I've read a lot of places that it's soothing and anti-aging..

5% products discount

Mon May 25, 2009 1:38 am      Reply with quote
Hi there,

My reserach indicates that 'Propolis' has an anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory effect on skin.
A large range of propolis products is available but you could try a cream.
I do hope that this may be of help in terms of topical cream.
I expect you're doing the usual: facial sauna once weekly, exfoliation once weekly and face masks.
You're certainly using an alcohol-free toner which is good. Try a teaspoon of lemon juice in a glass of water because this is a natural toner and will brighten your complexion. Dab on with a cotton wool pad

Warmest regards,

pinkrose
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 25, 2009 2:00 am      Reply with quote
im not trying to do promotion for the solution but i have to recommand you this because i have ance prone greasy oily skin like you, and the solution is one of the besttt moisturiser ive ever used !

and if u can afford it:
i like decleor's hydrafloral cream a lot too!
and darphin skin MAt fluid, or Hydralight. They have very nice textures and amazing smell
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 25, 2009 4:21 am      Reply with quote
A lot of people with oily acne-prone skin swear by Decleor Aromessence Ylang-ylang.

What you might consider too is... do you really need a moisturizer for your whole face? All moisturizers do is create an "oily" film in your skin so water doesn't come out. So if your skin is naturally oily, you might not need to put extra oil in it to preserve the moisture.

I have oily T-zone and I very rarely put moisturizer there (I do put actives though)

Hole that helped!

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
cejl
5% products discount

Mon May 25, 2009 7:11 am      Reply with quote
Josee wrote:
A lot of people with oily acne-prone skin swear by Decleor Aromessence Ylang-ylang.

What you might consider too is... do you really need a moisturizer for your whole face? All moisturizers do is create an "oily" film in your skin so water doesn't come out. So if your skin is naturally oily, you might not need to put extra oil in it to preserve the moisture.

I have oily T-zone and I very rarely put moisturizer there (I do put actives though)

Hole that helped!

I totally agree with you, but my skin is a bit dry after washing, even if I just splash with water, my skin feels dehydrated and a little tight. I have been told by some estheticians and product reps that my skin is dehydrated but oily.

At the moment, I am just using a drop or two of jojoba and its working ok. Almost all of the moisturizers that ppl recommend for oily skin have jojoba in them, so I might as well use plain jojoba.. I might need to change or add something else in my regime.

I forgot to add before that I am also using Paula's Choice 2% BHA a few times a week, which can be drying, but it works so well to exfoliate.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 25, 2009 7:44 am      Reply with quote
I'm super acne prone and I've been having good luck using Cerave lotion.

I also use Coppertone SPF but the new one Nutra shield faces spf70. This seems to work fine for me and I dont believe its caused any breakouts. It does leave you really shiney for about a 1/2 hr after your apply so you kind of need to plan for using it.
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:42 am      Reply with quote
I have acne and use DDF 10% Glycolic gel and almost never need a moisturizer, it has enough in it.

I'm still on the fence for a perfect moisturizer for acne skin. I only use it when I'm in a really dry climate or in winter. The best one I have used so far is by Zia, which is all natural, you can get it all whole foods. "Herbal Moisture Gel, oil free." It moisturizes, keeps my skin matte, and is good for acne skin.
aelsass
5% products discount

Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
Since you are already using the Outer Peace line by Aveda, why not try their outer peace moisturizer? Its a wonderful line IMHO.

I was using it myself before I started on Retin-A. It has a little salicylic acid in it which will help clear the congestion in your skin.
I also found it to be the most non-irritating of all the acne/oily skin moisturizers I've used.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
cejl wrote:
Hi! This is my first post. I apologize if this has been touched on already, but I am looking for some more specific recs...

Well Cejl, I don't know if this will appeal to you but perhaps try Carly's Clean n' Smooth at ebay. They are all natural and only use good ingredients (very little actually). Not the long list you would normally see on the back of commercial skin care. Products are fantastic for balancing easy to break out skin. The cleanser is really great for acne prone skin.
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
You may want to try Weleda Iris. Here is the link:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/weleda-iris-moisture-crea-p_9929.htm

It doesn't clog pores, moisturises and it smells great. This product is for all skin types.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:03 am      Reply with quote
i think hope in a jar by philosophy is light, gentle and effective

or for more natural
try burts bees - works well, but bit heavier
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |