Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Thin Skin -- Someone please help!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 26, 2009 9:01 am      Reply with quote
I have been doing OCM with castor and olive oil as well as drinking tons of water and using jojoba oil when my skin feels dry and my complexion is nice except for large pores on my cheeks.

Anyway, I thought I finally had my skin care under control since I looked great (you can check out my picture on page two of DIY skin care - HELP 64 Year Old Skin thread... BTW, Im not the 64 year old, lol... Im 31.

So, I had a european facial today and the esthetician told me that I have THIN SKIN and its sensitive.

My problem is I can hardly communicate with her, we have language barrier, we both talk to eachother in Tarzan language. Anyway, I need you guys to help me...

What exactly is thin skin, how did it get thin, and what should I do??

She told me to NEVER do OCM, its not good for my skin cause castor and olive oil are really acidic and she gave me this cream that she made which I am using now, my skin looks super greesy.

PLEASE HELP.

33 yrs old - female - light brown hair with high lights - green eyes - medium/light skin tone yellow undertones : ROUTINE : (AM) Cold Water (PM) Facial Massage , OCM (1-2x Weekly) Home Facial (Monthly) Pro Facial ---- Things I am thinking about: Dermaroller, Facial Exercises, DIY Creams...JUST BOUGHT BABY Q POWER PACK -- Can't wait!
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 26, 2009 9:43 am      Reply with quote
Oh and used to use, retin a , would that thin my skin?

33 yrs old - female - light brown hair with high lights - green eyes - medium/light skin tone yellow undertones : ROUTINE : (AM) Cold Water (PM) Facial Massage , OCM (1-2x Weekly) Home Facial (Monthly) Pro Facial ---- Things I am thinking about: Dermaroller, Facial Exercises, DIY Creams...JUST BOUGHT BABY Q POWER PACK -- Can't wait!
NOTCH
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 26, 2009 10:07 am      Reply with quote
Please tell your esthetician that castor oil and olive oil are NOT acidic at all. As a matter of fact, because they are both "oils", these ingredients cannot have a "pH"!! A substance must contain water for any sort of pH reading, and therefore the ability to be an acid or a base. The definition of "pH" is the negative log of the hydrogen ion content of the substance. The hydrogen ion content comes from the water in the substance being tested.... and there is no water in castor oil or olive oil.

John

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 26, 2009 10:10 am      Reply with quote
...and by all means I highly recommend to keep using olive oil and jojoba on your skin alone or in cosmetic products! These are fantastic emollients with fatty acid profile and wax ester profiles extremely similar to that of the skin's own natural sebum. Without a doubt, that is one of the reasons why you say that your skin feels great. These ingredients are some of the best you can use for optimum skin function and care.

John

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 26, 2009 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
Oh look what I found:

pH: refers to the hydrogen ion concentration in an aqueous solution. Olive oil and other oils are not water soluble so their acidity cannot be measured in terms of pH. Vegetable oils are very weak acids, when mixed with a strong base such as lye they will form a salt (commonly called soap). Better oils have a low acidity while lower quality oils will be more acidic. Their acid content is usually measured in percent free acidity. Extra virgin olive oil must have less than .8% free fatty acid but some have less than .1%

NOTCH
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 26, 2009 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
This is true, and this is true about how soaps are made. However, the "acidity" of these oils is EXTREMELY slight (not even measurable on a typical pH meter). It is the "fatty acid" components of these oils that have some acidic activity in the presence of water. If you have followed my posts here over time, I am always preaching and talking about the "fatty acid" content of oils. Botanical oils have a lot of other components as well not just fatty acids. And Jojoba Oil is mainly a liquid wax ester and is not triglyceride oil at all.

I do not feel that "oils" have enough acidic strength to be making your skin thin as your esthetician seems to be alluding to here.

John

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 26, 2009 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
Retin A, Over exfolliation, and continued inflamation will in time cause thin skin. If your Nordic/irish you are also predisposed to such.Medications, especially steroids, are infamaous for this as well.

IMHO: Gentle, gentle, gentle The oils seem fine! What else are you doing? Cleansing, actives?
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 26, 2009 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
i just saw priori defense barrier serum, helps to thicken n strengten ur skin
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 26, 2009 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
Honestly, like I said, I was just doing OCM, for the past 6 months or so, before that I was using nutregena face wash and thats about it, Im really new to this stuff. I have used retina but not more than 3-4 times within last month.

Im Turkish so I dont think Im predisposed to thin skin and my family is not wrinkly at all, they all look excellent fo their age, so since my facial, I am kinda freaking out.

How can you tell if you have thin skin. I mean, my skin has never really been even, but with a dusting of translucent powder my skin looks awesome, I dont need much make up at all actually to get the look of perfect flawless skin, and TONS of people compliment on it, so I am just trying to see if I really do have thin skin, or if my estetician is a looney tune.

Ziggy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 26, 2009 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
maybe get a second opinion? Smile

Norwegian, 28, brunette, medium/pale skintone, green eyes. Not sensitive skin, bit dry in winter, trying to figure out preventative skincare. Happy with: retin-a cream, emu, LRP Anthelios ss, Careprost. Stopped with CPs. Curious about: Bioderma ss, Renova, gadgets.
poulinsj
5% products discount

Tue May 26, 2009 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
I was told that i had thin skin around the bridge of my nose. I do wear sunglasses all the time. Could that possibly thin my skin. How do you reverse the damage?
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 26, 2009 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
^^Thats exactly what I am trying to figure out. She gave me some creams she made so lets see if that works out. I was searching on the net last night and found that EMU oil works good, as soon as I get to the states I will order some!!

Anyway, thin skin just sounds soooo scary!

bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 31, 2009 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
Just to update everyone, I have been using the products shes given me and my skin is a mess. The skin around my eyes is soo dry, I restarted the OCM method again today and I am happy.

But I still want to know if I have thin skin. What should I be looking for?? What does thin skin look like?

blondehart
5% products discount

Sun May 31, 2009 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
I would not believe her & do what works for me.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:37 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |