Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Astaxanthin dosaging
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Barksdale
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
How much astaxanthin orally a day is recommended? I'm going to use it as an addition to my sunscreen & Heliocare.
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
I am thinking about adding astaxanthin to my supplement intake, which prompted me to search for other members taking it. In his book, "The Perricone Weight-Loss Diet", Dr. P recommends one to two capsules, 2 mg each, per day. He recommends looking for the AstaReal trademark for potency and purity.

The AstaReal is available on iherb.com, but I found this Hawaiian version on vitacost.com that's getting terrific reviews, so I've ordered (not yet received) it. You'll also see a downloadable document here:

http://www.vitacost.com/Nutrex-Hawaii-BioAstin-Natural-Astaxanthin

I know some of you get your astaxanthin from Krill oil, but is anyone taking it in supplement form? Barksdale, are you seeing results yet?

Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
I've been taking the Astavita Skin Defense Complex which, according to the label on the bottle, is 4mg Natural Astaxanthin Compex (AstaREAL®) Astaxanthin, Lutein, Beta Carotene, Canthaxanthin, Other Cartoneoids (from Haematococcus pluvialis algae extract) plus 40mg of Tocotrienol. The bottle recommends 2 softgels per day.

http://www.astavita.com/topical.html

Thanks for the link, Nadjazz! I'm going to check it out.
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, great testimonials on their site, havana8! Have you been taking it long enough to see any visible results?

Dr. Perricone says it has the following benefits:
    offers protection to the brain, central nervous system, and eyes
    increases physical endurance and reduces muscle damage
    reduces eye fatigue and improves visual acuity
    provides wrinkle reduction by internal supplementation
    reduces hyperpigmentation (this one excites me)
    provides cytokine regulation; inhibiting the expression of inflammatory cytokines and chemokines
    improves gastric health and reduces infection/inflammation of H. pylori, spiral-shaped bacteria that can damage stomach and duodenal tissue, causing ulcers

Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:03 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the list, Nadjazz! I'm almost through one bottle so not too long but so far I have noticed more energy and less eye fatigue. I think I am going to try the brand you mentioned next just to compare. Have you had a chance to order yet?
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, havana8 -
Yes, my order has arrived, but I have not started taking it yet. I will provide feedback after 30 days of use.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
I've been taking 4mg for two weeks along with all my other supplements. I haven't noticed anything yet. I am sure it will be at least one bottle before I do if not longer. I am also going to start Resveratrol as soon as it gets here.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Frodo! Please keep us updated on your progress. I would also be interested in what brand you are using.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
Hi, Frodo! Please keep us updated on your progress. I would also be interested in what brand you are using.

The brand is Now Foods, I purchased them at iherb.

If I remember correctly I latched onto this stuff from the Q Boards. I need to double up my intake of memory pills.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:28 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone know if it is better to get it from Krill Oil, or to take it as a single supplement?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:23 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone using this have any updates on what its doing for you?
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi, GirlieGirl -
I've only been taking the Bioastin brand for about two weeks now, but I do notice a slight increase in energy. I don't seem so fatigued in the evenings when I come home from work. Also, during my work day, I feel I have more focus and clarity. Pretty subjective, though.

No noticeable changes in my skin. I was hoping it would give some sun protection, but I can't really measure that.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:09 am      Reply with quote
I used this one from Vitacost and really liked it. I have a hard time swallowing horse pills and these caps were small and very easy to swallow. It contains 6mg.

http://www.vitacost.com/Nutrex-Hawaii-BioAstin-Supreme

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:26 am      Reply with quote
bren21, I'm taking the 4 mg version of the same product. How long have you been taking it? Seeing any results yet?

TIA!
Nadine

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:54 am      Reply with quote
Hey Nadine....I've been taking it since Feb. Have to say I've noticed an increase in energy sincce starting it but haven't noticed any skin changes so to speak. My skin is looking better than ever though these days but I cannot say it's the supplement itself...I am sure it's helping though Very Happy
I am really terrible at taking pills that are large or even medium sized....I like these because they are very small black gel caps and are really easy to swallow. One thing I don't like is the large glass bottle they use for such a small amount of pills....it is rediculously wasteful in my opinion.

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

just wondered if anyone had any updates regarding taking this supplement? I've read that it can have an effect on hormone levels, and intefere with menopause medication,

Jackie xx
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Jackie -
I started taking this in hopes it would help with hyperpigmentation, but I'm not seeing any improvement in that area.

However, I am very pleased with how this affects my energy levels and joints! DH has also noticed an improvement in joint pain. We stopped taking it for several months, and found the fatigue and joint pain coming back. So this is definitely part of our daily regimen now!

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Is anyone still using this and have any updates on how it's working out for you? I stopped taking it a long while ago but have been considering it again. TIA!
7Destiny
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
I have used 8 mg of astaxanthin a day for three years, and wouldn't be without it. My skin has no hyperpigmentation. Its helped joints, sleep, eyesight. If your astaxanthin says Hawaiian sourced its made by Cyanotech, they private label for many brands. So you can buy safely by price. Here is what Dr. Mercola says

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/05/25/sunscreen-and-wrinkle-prevention-in-a-pill.aspx
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
I've just recently started taking a combo with krill oil and astaxanthin. No results yet, but I'm hoping it'll help with aches I've been getting in my joints (left side of the body only which is weird...). Any skin benefits would be an added bonus!
HippoMe
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:01 pm      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi everyone,

just wondered if anyone had any updates regarding taking this supplement? I've read that it can have an effect on hormone levels, and intefere with menopause medication,

Jackie xx

A word to the wise.

http://www.integrativepractitioner.com/article_ektid14368.aspx

Interactions

Astaxanthin may have similar effects as the antihistamines etirizine dihydrochloride and azelastine; may interfere with the way the body processes certain drugs using the liver's "cytochrome P450" enzyme system; may inhibit Helicobacter pylori growth and have an additive effect when taken with other medications that have a similar effect; may have hormonal effects and may interact with other hormone-altering medications, such as medications taken for menopause or birth control pills. It may also interact with immunomodulating medications.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |