Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Does anyone think Obagi is a waste of money?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
poulinsj
5% products discount

Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:15 am      Reply with quote
I have tried everything under the sun to treat my Melasma. I've read so many positive things on Obagi Nu Derm, but has anyone used it and it's beena total waste of money???

Sheila
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:23 am      Reply with quote
I did get some fading with the Blender, so I could not say it was a total waste of money. I don't think my hyperpigmentation was melasma however, I had on mark on the left side from a cyst, and the right side of my face became hyperpigmented after some laser treatment to remove red capillaries.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:34 am      Reply with quote
No, I like Obagi.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:54 am      Reply with quote
I've been using Obagi product lines for over 5 years, and I don't have regrets... You have to spend money to take care of your skin////
I'd rather spend a few hundred dollars using Obagi instead of plastic surgery which I dont know will suit me or not. What if the surgeon is not good enough? My face is my only face, once scarred, I can not turn back!

poulinsj wrote:
I have tried everything under the sun to treat my Melasma. I've read so many positive things on Obagi Nu Derm, but has anyone used it and it's beena total waste of money???

Sheila
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
I think you will find that most people who don't like Nu Derm are the ones who A) did not use all of the products in the system - they mixed and matched and then they blamed Nu Derm for not working, B) they did not stay on the system for the entire 18 weeks, and C) they did not use the correct amount of the products. Every one will have improvement in their skin if they follow the entire program for the entire 18 weeks (and then stay on maintenance).
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:43 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
I think you will find that most people who don't like Nu Derm are the ones who A) did not use all of the products in the system - they mixed and matched and then they blamed Nu Derm for not working, B) they did not stay on the system for the entire 18 weeks, and C) they did not use the correct amount of the products. Every one will have improvement in their skin if they follow the entire program for the entire 18 weeks (and then stay on maintenance).

I totally agree. The people who will say they don't like or didn't get results from Obagi Nu Derm are the ones who don't use all the products in the regimen,(some never even used Retin-A with the program), are not consistent in their application, don't stick with it for the whole 18 weeks were not using the right amounts of the products, or the ones that didn't listen to their skin while using it and backing off a day or two if they were experiencing irritation. Some just quit when they experienced to much irritation. Not everyone does have issues but it's important to stick with the program. If a person does experience to much irritation they need to listen to their skin and just back of a day or two but still stick with the program.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:58 am      Reply with quote
Obagi does help with melasma, however you must stay on maintenance to keep the melasma from returning. Something that I did not do. Not sure if I'm ready to take the plunge again!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:54 am      Reply with quote
sandralee wrote:
Obagi does help with melasma, however you must stay on maintenance to keep the melasma from returning. Something that I did not do. Not sure if I'm ready to take the plunge again!

You are exactly right. If you don't stay on some form of maintenance 99% of the people will have a return in their pigmentation problems. There are a few lucky ones that can get away with just using Retin A and sunscreen, but they are definitely in the minority. Most will require the use of all products (except the nasty Exfoderm!) 2-3 times a week. If a person is not willing to do that, then I wouldn't even consider going through 18 weeks of the regimen.
sandralee
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:31 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl-I made an appt. to see an esthitician today whose spa sells 302 skincare products. I've heard so much about it here and it is suppose to help w/pigmentation as well as rejuvination. Luckily, I can get these products locally. They sell other products as well. So hopefully I'll get a good skincare regime started again w/out using retin-a.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:05 am      Reply with quote
sandralee wrote:
rileygirl-I made an appt. to see an esthitician today whose spa sells 302 skincare products. I've heard so much about it here and it is suppose to help w/pigmentation as well as rejuvination. Luckily, I can get these products locally. They sell other products as well. So hopefully I'll get a good skincare regime started again w/out using retin-a.

I hope you enjoy 302, sandralee. That is also the route I am taking and have been on 302 for 4 months now.
elee123
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:09 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I did have great result. But if you stop using it, it will come back and everytime it's just too painful to go through the peeling again to get the clearing up of the skin. I still have the bottles left on my shelf. I kept thinking I will go back to it. But everytime, I get the peeling skin and look so awful that I just gave up.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
For some of us, NuDerm just doesn't suit our life style. I like to be outdoors for my exercise during weekends (swimming, playing golf) and using NuDerm is incompatible with that because of the sun sensitivity associated with usage of the regime and even the maintenance. Anyway my pigmentation is not so disfiguring. I also have qualms about the rebound hyperpigmentation that can occur when reducing or stopping hydroquinone which is part of the NuDerm regime.
freedom37
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:19 am      Reply with quote
I have only met on person who has done the Obagi and their skin is soooo clear but really pale. Does everyone of caucasian skin find this? I dont want to look like a ghost!
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:55 am      Reply with quote
elee123 wrote:
Yes, I did have great result. But if you stop using it, it will come back......

Really!? I did not realize it.

Did you mean that acne, dark spots & even wrinkle would come back?
PinkLyfe
5% products discount

Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
no, not a waste of money at all. results are delivered.

the pigmentation (if you stop using obagi)comes back because the skin damaged is down in the dermis from damage done 20 yrs ago(in my case) from the sun.

i am in maintenance. use obagi 3 times/week
Drsunmei
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
I have used Nu-derm for about a week now and can anyone tell me when I can really feel the improvement. Question
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
Drsunmei wrote:
I have used Nu-derm for about a week now and can anyone tell me when I can really feel the improvement. Question

I think improvement times vary from person to person. Some people see improvement in a matter of weeks some (like me) much later. I really didn't see a lot of change until the second cycle. That being said, I did not take pictures of myself throughout the process so it was hard for me to really asses my improvement. That's definitely one thing that I would suggest you do: Take pictures at determined intervals. I think you'll see all those minor changes that you otherwise would miss.

Patience is important while doing nuderm. Stay committed! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
When I went for my laser treatments the technician had very clear,flawless skin but it looked very white and pasty. There was something not natural. When I asked her about her skin looking so flawless she told me that it was Obagi. I am dark complected and very sensitive! I have been scared to use Obagi because anything that will make your skin red, raw and peeling for a long period of time can not be healthy for you or your skin in the long run.
PinkLyfe
5% products discount

Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
the white and pasty look is probably from the sunblock with titanium oxide and zinc oxide
Elvisshops
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
I used the system as directed faithfully for months, including the retin a. It did not fade my melasma.

To be fair, no other treatment has faded my melasma either, including Triluma, Lustra, IPL, Fraxel, and assorted OTC stuff.

Lots of people have a great deal of success with Obagi, but no product/system works for everyone. For me, Obagi was a waste of money. For others, it is a miracle.

I should note I have always avoided the sun and have worn sunscreen 365 days a year for close to 20 years. I am also a longtime retin a user.
flyflyonly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
No.
Although Obagi had better be used as a set, this is not expensive for any single product. And, for a lot of my friends, Obagi really worked out well on the acne.
I do not have many acne on my face, so I do not want to use this so "medical" product. This brand is really cool, and if you have such acne problem, I advise you to try it.
vvpmelon
5% products discount

Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
I have used the following for more than 18 weeks (twice a day) on my sun spot. Didn't work, sigh...

Obagi Nu-Derm Clear FX #3
Obagi Nu-Derm Exfoderm #4
Elvisshops
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
sandralee wrote:

I hope you enjoy 302, sandralee. That is also the route I am taking and have been on 302 for 4 months now.

Rileygirl,

Has the 302 helped with your hyperpigmentation problems?
MentorAmy05
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
freedom37 wrote:
I have only met on person who has done the Obagi and their skin is soooo clear but really pale. Does everyone of caucasian skin find this? I dont want to look like a ghost!

It is funny that you say this, as the PA I see is also over the Medi-Spa (located in same building) and she uses the OBAGI.....Her skin is
P-E-R-F-E-C-T, but "very" pale......I was going to try the OBAGI, but saw the 302 thread and read more about it, so I have now started using the 302 Products, but if for some reason, they do not work for me, I will probably try OBAGI out..... I do remember that it was quite costly.....But hey, what we won't do for beauty!

Dry - Combo Skin - added Retin A to my pm skincare regime on March 20, 2015---I have used Rosehip and coconut oil-daily-for over a year and this significally reduced my scarring and evened my skin tone
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Elvisshops wrote:
Rileygirl,

Has the 302 helped with your hyperpigmentation problems?

No, sad to say, but it has not, Elvisshops. I have had very, very minimal fading of some of my spots, but that was within the first 2 months (I was also using the Prolight Red at that time and had improvement in my broken caps, as well). But, since that initial improvement, I have not had any more improvement in the pigmentation.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |