Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How do I get rid of these pore issues?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
momomolly

Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:46 am      Reply with quote
I have combination skin (slightly oily T-zone, normal everywhere else).
No acne, only minor monthly hormonal breakouts around the chin area.

But, I do have these annoying visible pores on my cheeks and clogged oil producing pores on my nose. I can't seem to get rid of them. When I exfoliate, the skin on my nose feels smooth, but the next day it's back to being bumpy. They're not blackheads, they're just clogged. In the crevices of my nose there are these white plugs that can be pulled out. Also, under my eyes I have these visible little bumps(milia?) probably from using concealer for dark circles.

Anyone know how I can get rid of these things? I'll post a pic once I'm able to.

My skincare routine in fairly basic.

Morning

Cleanser - Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser (I'm starting to think the sodium lauryl sulfate may be causing bumps under my skin?)

Moisturizer - Olay complete spf 15

Evening

Cleanser - Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Moisturizer - Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream (I've been using the Neutrogena Healthy Skin for over a month now, and my skin seems to like the retinol. I've had fewer breakouts, my skin seems to be more hydrated, no irritation, and this horizontal wrinkle on my forehead is starting to look more diminished).

Exfoliation - (every three or so days) Aspirin honey mask, fine sugar and honey mask

Mask - (every week) St. Ives Mineral Clay Firming Masque

Otherwise, I take a daily multivitamin. My diet is good, could be better. I only drink water. I exercise some. Sleep 8+ hours. I don't wear much makeup, only concealer when going out.

Could my skin issues be due to diet? I haven't tried cutting out dairy, sugar, or red meat.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions you all might have.

Thanks for reading this all! Laughing
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
my clarisonic and dermaroller worked wonders for my pored skin!!

plus peeling once a month would be good !!

of course retin-a at night Very Happy

u cant go wrongg with this!
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:10 am      Reply with quote
The pores cannot be reduced by any products. You should use silicone base for makeup and exfloliate it. It helps keeping your pores not enlarge.
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:27 am      Reply with quote
Retin-A and/or Renova have shrunk my large pores and now they are a non issue for me. I never even notice them anymore. It does take months using Retin-A or Renova before you will see real noticable results.

Nothing else I've ever used has made such a difference.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:36 am      Reply with quote
yup yup high 5 keli
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:13 am      Reply with quote
Moomomolly, I wholeheartedly sympathise with you as I have similar skin issues and resolving them is very difficult you don't say how old you are but I think that if you are into your 20's or older then the issue is likely to be a hormonal imbalance of some type as it is your hormones that lead you to produce too much sebum which is what is causing your issues such as clogged pores and bumps. The best way to improve your skin long term would be to try resolve any hormonal imbalance either through conventional methods e.g. the pill, spironolactone etc or holistically with the use of herbal medicine, diet etc. Diet can play a part in how your skin behaves and generally a diet which balances your blood sugar levels such as a low GI way of eating will help. This is because insulin release after a high GI meal can have an effect on the amount of androgen's your body makes which in turn can make your skin more oily so making changes to your diet may be useful. Some people say that milk and gluten containing foods can be an issue but I have not found that to be the case for myself but you could try eliminating them temporarily to see if it helps. I find it really hard to cut right back on sugar and eat only wholefoods ( I love sweets!) but I do see my skin improve when I avoid sugar, cakes and sweets etc.

I have both the clarisonic and the dermaroller. The clarisonic I use a couple of times a week and the dermaroller I prefer not to use at present while my skin is still breaking out, but I hope to use it later.

Retin A may be the best topical solution to try while you try to find the underlying cause of your skin issues. It's good to use for many reasons such as anti-aging and many people get good results with it.

I do have to disagree with Nickiegirl on using Silicone based products as these are really bad for making any clogging much worse. I think it's okay once in a while are long as you fully cleanse it all off your skin after.

A really good book I recommend is Balancing Your Hormones - Naturally by Marilyn Glenville as it explains all about how what your eat and other lifestyle factors affect your hormones.

Good Luck!
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:17 am      Reply with quote
I think the Clarisonic shrunk my pores quite a bit. I also use the BRTC jasmin water BB cream as a tinted moisturiser that keeps my pores small during the day.

I actually had a friend ask me what I have been using cause it seems like my pores have shrunk and my face is flawless... I had to tell her its the BB cream illusion doing its work =p
momomolly

Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone!

I think the over-production of oil could be from a hormonal imbalance. I've read some good things about spearmint tea regulating androgens. I might give that a go.

Also, the skin on my cheeks is slightly rough/weathered looking with visible pores. Could this be due to over-exfoliation? Or maybe I'm using too many products?
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:49 am      Reply with quote
I think that over over-exfoliation could be the cause of why your skin is looking rough in some places. I know that I have had that problem at times. The clarisonic is quite could because it clears the pores with only very gentle exfoliation especially if you use the delicate brush, it's a bit pricey though.

Here is a very interesting thread on taking a non acid approach to skin care: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=28855

Definitely give the mint tea a go. I read that about it as well. I'm going to try drink more of that myself!
mk12
5% products discount

Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
Last week I switched to using water-only in the mornings with a Wonder Cloth to wash my face, and at night I do a quick wash with my Aubrey Organics herbal everyday soap to remove makeup and then use the Wonder Cloth to go over my face with water only.

I can't believe the difference it has made in my skin and pores! My skin has never been this smooth and calm, and my chronically large pores are nearly invisible. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

I bought the Wonder Cloth from Bed Bath & Beyond for $9.99 locally. I figured if I didn't like it, I could always return it, but as it turned out it was sooo worth it. And I was a total skeptic when I first read about water only washing. I thought there was no way that would get my skin clean. I was so wrong about that.

Skin Vac also makes facial cleansing cloths that have received very positive reviews. They have a daily cloth made of microfiber, one specifically for microdermabrasion, and one that I think is called the Pore Grabber which is the one I ordered that is supposed to be great at removing whiteheads. (I haven't received it yet.)

I wet my face in the shower, wet the Wonder Cloth, wring it out and then use it to gently massage my skin. After my shower, I spritz with Rosewater and apply a tiny bit of Emu Oil.

My skin has never been happier, and even the acne scars on my cheeks have diminished noticeably.

EDS sells a microfiber cloth for face cleansing also, which has received positive reviews.
kracker
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:57 am      Reply with quote
best mask for this ole henriksen pore-refining mask
best i've tried

rinsing with cold cold water after cleansing works a treat
starxiao
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
the major reason for pore problems is dehydrated

just let your skin have enough water
yobi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
starxiao wrote:
the major reason for pore problems is dehydrated

just let your skin have enough water

Exactly, I do hydrating mask everyday to keep pore don't get large.
starxiao
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:47 am      Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing
it's ture

my own experience can also prove it

my pores are very obvious before under the eye

but when i get my skin hydrated, the pores gets smaller and smaller, not obvious anymore
spartridge

Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:31 am      Reply with quote
pore issue is my nightmare. I haven't found a effective way to shrink it yet. you can use bb cream to cover it ,which can make your pores seem invisibal.
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:35 am      Reply with quote
I have used all kinds of things to no avail Sad

I'm currently using:

- Clarisonic
- Glycolic acid 5% as a "toner"
- Dr.Haushka clay mask ocassionaly
- Epidermx II ocassionally
- RetinA nightly

And my pores are still there laughing at me! Sad

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
dryady
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:02 am      Reply with quote
calor, could u please tell me where did you get the dermaroller? TIA Smile

calorblind wrote:
my clarisonic and dermaroller worked wonders for my pored skin!!

plus peeling once a month would be good !!

of course retin-a at night Very Happy

u cant go wrongg with this!
InkyProse
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
You might want to check out the Oil Cleansing/control method in the DIY section. The use of castor oil will cause your pores to expel their contents. It's really cool.

49*~~dark auburn, light, blue/green*~~ Red/Infrared/Amber LED*~~ Dermarolling*~~ Retin A*~~ Cupping*~~Homeopathic HGH*~~Ionic Footbaths*~~About to put my Incline Table Together**** See what all you people are driving me to???****Don't get me started on the supplements, you'll regret it**** Love Wins...
luyan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:02 am      Reply with quote
Give up the mask, only a month, so your skin to relax

5% products discount

Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:41 am      Reply with quote
If you want to refine or shrink your pores and yes you can with products I use and swear by Jan Marini Bioglycolic Facial Cleanser!! It really shrunk my pores and I had large ones on my forehead/cheeks/under my mouth, and it is very gentle too!!

If you want to really clean your skin get the Clarisonic to super clean your pores as well!!! I have better looking skin now than I did 15 years ago and I'm 50 now!!
pinkrose
5% products discount

Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there,

With regard to your nose try 'Biore'ultra deep cleansing strips. I've not used them but they claim to 'remove stubborn pore-clogging..... and purify pores'.[biore.co.uk]

Then to reduce the appearance of enlarged pores, soak a cotton pad in a diluted mixture of cider vinegar and water: one tablespoon of vinegar to a cup of water. You can keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days.

To cleanse inside, as it were, try some vegetables juices. If you don't have time to make your own, seek them out in your health-store. While you're there, if you have inflamed skin, you could try a facial wash made from an infusion of the herb Golden Seal - available loose or in tea bags.

Hope this helps,

pinkrose
Laura222
5% products discount

Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
The apple cider vinegar suggestion is a good one, witch hazel can also be a good toner to use to minimize the appearance of your pores if you're looking for a non-chemical means of doing so.
Honey is another great natural skin treatment, it's a humectant and an antiseptic and it absorbs impurities from your skin, so you can look for a homemade mask recipe that uses honey if you need it.

Avoid products with mineral oil, they'll clog your pores right up.

I have a friend who have has luck using Biore's Pore Unclogging Scrub once a week (no more blackheads!)

I have had the same problem with Cetaphil causing bumps occasionally but it comes in short phases and I sort of attribute it to hormones or a poor diet for a week.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
InkyProse wrote:
You might want to check out the Oil Cleansing/control method in the DIY section. The use of castor oil will cause your pores to expel their contents. It's really cool.

I second that Oil Cleansing Method is a great way to clear the pores. (I use the combination of Castor and Jojoba oil) It also helps to get rid of the black heads on the nose. Together with aspirin masks, it works wonders for my pores!!!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Sun damage and heredity cause large pores, so wear sunscreen faithfully and pick your parents well.

Aspirin/honey masks are nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmv6oEnOJcI

Agree about the silicone primer. Clinique Pore Corrector is nice and light and hides them well. It's tinted so you can use it on its own.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
I starting using a cocoction that i read about on this forum The apple cider vinegar toner; a mixture of apple cider vingear, green tea and ylang ylang oil.
You use this cocotion on your face in replace of your normal toner, applying with a cotton wool pad.

I've been using for the past two weeks and have seen a dramatic improvement in my skin. My pores are much smaller, my face is less oilier during the day and my skin looks amazing smooth and dewy.

It a cheap cocoction to make and lasts for ages, so give it a try.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:38 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |