Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Silica and Vitamin C
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
EllaLady
5% products discount

Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
I bought some organic coconut oil from a healthshop. In the bag there was an insert promoting silica gel and vitamin c, for youthful skin and thicker hair.

I'd heard of people supplementing with fish oils and hylauranic acid for improved skin - but never this!

Has anyone tried it?

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:30 am      Reply with quote
What is the name of the product the insert was promoting? Is it a topical or a supplement? More info is needed.
EllaLady
5% products discount

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:11 am      Reply with quote
Ooops sorry - I'll try to find the flyer and get the name.

I think it was a silica gel that you took orally.

The thing that had me intrigued was the testimonials - showing thicker hair and younger looking plumped up skin....

I'll post again once I've found the name.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:03 am      Reply with quote
EllaLady wrote:

I think it was a silica gel that you took orally.

silica can be taken orally?
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:34 am      Reply with quote
I take Natrol Biosil myself (formerly Jarrow brand). It's supposed to be a more bio-available version than others on the market. You just add 5 drops to a glass of water or juice, and it has very little taste.

When my sister started shedding due to a thyroid condition, her dr recommended Biosil to help restore her hair.

It promotes collagen growth (especially if you take MSM as well), and reduces fine lines and wrinkles. Biosil, MSM, and vit C are my skin-care supplement staples.

The first change I noticed when starting Biosil/MSM (I started taking them at the same time) was the rate that my hair was growing! I had to start touching up my roots at the 3-week point. Also, my eyelashes are a bit longer and fuller. I need to pluck my eyebrows daily. It did not cause excess hair growth in unwanted areas, though.

As for my skin, I didn't see radical changes, but I can tell you this: When I recently started seeing an esthy, she was amazed at how wrinkle-free my skin is at age 49 (oops, I see I need to update my profile). I attribute that to lucky genes, sunscreen, supplementation...and all the wonderful advice I've received from EDS forum members!

It's worth a try, as it's not too expensive. Would love to hear other people's results from this!

http://www.iherb.com/Natrol-Biosil-1-oz-30-ml/14836?at=0

5% products discount

Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:08 am      Reply with quote
Ok - I finally found the leaflet from the health shop - the supplement that they are promoting is:

Oriinal silicea balsam - Silica gel mineral supplement by hubner.

They recommend taking it with Nutri-C complex.

Since I first heard about this silica gel, I've been hearing a lot about biosil, taken with a combination of biotin.

It's very confusing - as I already take pre-natal vitamins (the folic acid helps my hair), omega 3-6-9...I think I definitely want to add a silica and vitamin c product, and maybe find out more about this biotin...

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi, EllaLady -
The silica gel by Hubner is also a good choice! No need to get complicated. I would say just pick one - silica gel from Hubner, or Natrol Biosil, add at least 1000 mg of vit C, and leave it at that.

See how that goes until you finish off the silica gel, and decide if its worth continuing. You might even consider switching brands at that point, and do your own little comparison study.

Then later, you can decide if you want to add in a dose of MSM. You have to build up your intake of MSM gradually, so that's why I advise adding it later.

The Nutri-C complex has some nice ingredients, but it appears that it might be high in sugar (fructose). Just something to consider.

HTH!
Very Happy

5% products discount

Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
thanks so much - that is really helpful - especially the vitamin C dosage recommendation - I wasn't sure what amount to take.

I think I'll buy whichever one I find first LOL - either the Hubner or the Biosil!

What have you found MSM to be good for? And what is in it?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
I started taking the MSM for help in collagen building, but the immediate effect was seen in the acceleration of hair growth on my head, and longer, thicker eyelashes.

I stopped taking the MSM for about two months, and noticed my hair started thinning, lashes were not as noticeable, and I started feeling tired and achey every day. Tired and achey, meaning a sort of tingling ache running from my elbow to my pinky on my right arm (my sister thinks its arthritis), and aching knees. The ache in my knees just made me feel exhausted.

Within two weeks of starting the MSM again (gradually working up to 1 tsp, approx 4000 mg), the pain in my arm is gone, and I only feel the aching knees when I have been on my feet too long. Eyelashes are starting to look longer and fuller again.

There is a huuuge thread about the benefits and side effects of MSM. Tangal's post here is a great place to start reading:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=20364&start=17

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
I was taking the BioSil drops and found the taste horrid: like rotted fish! I had to put it in tomato juice and drink it fast, the drops settle to the bottom of the glass.
Definitely get the capsules if you choose this brand of silica!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:40 am      Reply with quote
How, odd, fawnie! I detect a slight bitter taste, and definitely prefer it in 4 oz of fruit juice (I like to mix Pom wonderful with water 50/50). I've been through at least 3 bottles of the stuff, and would never describe it as fishy. I checked with my sis, and she says its an odd flavor, but certainly not strong and not as bad as you described.

The drops do indeed settle, so I also drink it fast, so as not to waste any of it!

5% products discount

Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
I finally went to a health store today - and picked up biosil (but the brand was Lorna Venderhaeghe). They also had Hubner's Silicea Gel - and I asked the sales associate what the difference was between the two. She said that Biosil's silicone comes from orthosilic acid, while Silicea's silicone comes from a mineral...

They had the drops and the tablets, and she said that if I took the drops, they would get in my system faster, and more would be absorbed in my body...but I ended up buying the tablets, because I have a feeling that I wouldn't take the drops - but I already take vitamins in the morning, and can easily add a couple of pills to that.

Hope it works for me Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie, my Biosil tastes of rotting fish too. The first time, I drank it with mineral water, I thought I'd be sick it was so bad.

I like anchovies, capers, P'uer & green tea (all the food that people usually tell me are awful and how can I possibly eat/drink them)so I'm quite used to stuff that tastes odd! I guess the batches must be different for some people not to boak at the taste?

I drink mine with pineapple juice and it disguises the flavour quite well, unless you forget to stir it and then it hits you with the last sip. Lovely.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
What brand MSM does anybody use?
TIA:)
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
pal,
I don't want to hijack this thread about silica and vit C, so I'm referring you to this MSM post. If you have any more MSM questions, it would be best to post them in the MSM thread.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=20364&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=484

HTH! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
pal,
I don't want to hijack this thread about silica and vit C, so I'm referring you to this MSM post. If you have any more MSM questions, it would be best to post them in the MSM thread.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=20364&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=484

HTH! Very Happy

Thank you so much for this tread nadjazz... I didnt want to hijack thread either Smile
Thanks again
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:41 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |