Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Doing without moisturizer?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
LLucy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
I read this thread yesterday and found it quite disconcerting.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=31227

Has anyone who stopped using daily moisturizer after reading this stuck with that plan?

My face looks so much older after a few days without a moisturizer of some kind I dread giving it up. Just wanted to know how others are doing without it - particularly women over 45 and/or menopause. When I was younger/had estrogen don't think it would have been as much of an issue.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:51 am      Reply with quote
I don't specifically use a moisturiser and have never missed it. Nor does my skin suffer as a result. I think it is a case of using good products with ingredients that do not strip the skin of moisture. For instance, when I was using the Remergent line, I would quite often just use the DNA Repair by itself. With Valmont, I can get away with using just one of their products such as DNA Repair or Bio Cellular or Regenerating Serum. With the Neocutis line, I normally just used the Hydrogel. This applied night and day and the only exceptions would be in the day when I needed to use a sunscreen. So I never specifically use a moisturiser. Another example is ZO Skincare where you can just use the Daily Power Defense in the morning and the Growth Factor Serum at night.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:59 am      Reply with quote
I did change my skin regime after the article.

Now I only use moisturizer when I need it and where I need it. And... I started doing my own "home-made" moisturizer so as to replicate as much as possible the composition of human sebum.
I started trying to "listen" to my skin's needs as opposed to just smearing moisturizer all over. Now I barely ever put moisturizer on my forehead, nose, chin, part of the cheeks.

I still use actives, mainly RetinA at night and a morning serum.

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
Alien
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:50 am      Reply with quote
I use jojba oil and nothing else. Though I am searching for the right active to use.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:58 am      Reply with quote
Very interesting article. I have found that my skin does seem better when I stick strictly to the Dr Hauschka regime which means no night creams. Just cleansing cream and toner followed by nothing. The premise of that is to allow the skin to perform it's natural functions of repair and elimination etc unimpeded.

I do still wear a moisturiser during the day the Dr H day oil but less is probably more the only thing is I don't want to skip the Sunscreen and that obviously coats the skin.

I have noticed that a lot of people with perfect skin don't even wash it, just splash with water but I never know what comes first, do they have great skin and so don't have to do anything or does the great skin come from the low key routine?

Less is more in my experience anyway.
LLucy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:00 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I wondered about sunscreen. For over 20 yrs. putting sunscreen on my face in the morning was the only type of moisturizer I used. Now I only use it when I will be out in the sun for more than 20 min.

It's odd to me that some people are almost religious about applying sunscreen every day as part of their routine, yet don't consider it a moisturizer in itself.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
I think its good to use moisturizer, but only where you need it; like around the eyes and mouth and the neck. The way your skin feels could be due to the type of cleanser. If you use a gentle cleanser than your skin shouldn't feel dry.
Smoky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
I was going to start another thread with my question, but it seems this could be the right thread anyways.

I'm doing the Remergent 1% retinol treatment once a day (I started a few weeks ago, and after 2 nights my skin started peeling, a little bit at a time. So, now I am more sparingly using the retinol.

My question - I'm having a hard time finding a moisturizer to use after the retinol. My Ole Hendrickson Expressing the Truth, which is usually OK for me, now burns a bit (maybe the Vitamin C?). Should I stop using moisturizer and only use sunscreen? If a moisturizer would be good, which one would you suggest (no actives). I tried the Remergent refoliator and it seems perfect for this application, but it gave me horrible bumps.

I was even wondering if cetaphil moisturizer would work...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
I'm still not using mositurizer unless I am definitely dehydrated (like after a flight) and don't miss it a bit!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:51 am      Reply with quote
Smoky1 wrote:
I was going to start another thread with my question, but it seems this could be the right thread anyways.

I'm doing the Remergent 1% retinol treatment once a day (I started a few weeks ago, and after 2 nights my skin started peeling, a little bit at a time. So, now I am more sparingly using the retinol.

My question - I'm having a hard time finding a moisturizer to use after the retinol. My Ole Hendrickson Expressing the Truth, which is usually OK for me, now burns a bit (maybe the Vitamin C?). Should I stop using moisturizer and only use sunscreen? If a moisturizer would be good, which one would you suggest (no actives). I tried the Remergent refoliator and it seems perfect for this application, but it gave me horrible bumps.

Your best solution would be to use the Remergent Barrier Repair if you can still find it somewhere. Perhaps you could let us know what your skin type is to give a suitable recommendation.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:52 am      Reply with quote
I probably won't give up moisturizer completely, but I start to wash my face only using water without applying cream afterwards sometimes, and let my skin adjust itself. I didn't notice anything negative yet.
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
^^ My derm gave me this Pinetar cleanser by ego naturals and I love it!

I use it almost every day unless on days I feel my skin is super dirty, then I'll use a milk cleanser.

But I still moisturise, if I dont, my face will be really really dry
vangirl3
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:56 pm      Reply with quote
Since starting facial ex's and retin a, my obsession with moisturizing my face has subsided. I only put a bit of oil (squalane or vit e) on at night if I am getting the retin a flakies. Don't think my skin has suffered from discontinuing with the moisturizer.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:52 am      Reply with quote
I am in my mid-20s. I sometimes go without moisturizer. But I do that because if use moisture cream, there will be white stuff after applying sunscreen. And if I do that, I will make sure a good hydrating serum is used.
Metaphora
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:34 am      Reply with quote
I hadn't seen the thread linked by the OP previously, but I rarely use moisturizer. I do use hydrosols and actives and occasionally an oil (jojoba, emu, camellia, etc.) but I often go without putting anything on my face at all.

If you're not used to this, it takes skin some time to normalize its oil production so you don't feel and look dry - but also it's very important not to be using drying cleansers! Even many cleansers labeled "gentle" are too harsh and overstrip the skin, meaning they create the dryness you then try to solve with a moisturizer.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:
Smoky1 wrote:

Your best solution would be to use the Remergent Barrier Repair if you can still find it somewhere. Perhaps you could let us know what your skin type is to give a suitable recommendation.

Unfortunately, I cannot use either the Remergent refoliator or the barrier repair! My skin tends to dryness, more breakouts in my 50's than ever before, and appears to be very sensitive to as yet unknown ingredients in many skincare products. Funny that the Remergent retin product is quite powerful, yet my skin seems to like it! Now just to find something to complement it...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
Smoky1 wrote:
bushy wrote:
Smoky1 wrote:

Unfortunately, I cannot use either the Remergent refoliator or the barrier repair! My skin tends to dryness, more breakouts in my 50's than ever before, and appears to be very sensitive to as yet unknown ingredients in many skincare products. Funny that the Remergent retin product is quite powerful, yet my skin seems to like it! Now just to find something to complement it...

It sounds like your skin is becoming too dry and sensitive from something you are using and that can cause breakouts. I know that Valmont is expensive but I think you need to give your skin a break from aggressive actives and that may include the retinol. I would recommend something like the Valmont DNA Repair or Bio Cellular High Performance. There are probably lots of products that would suit but I know these two products will not cause you breakouts, will help to normalise your skin from the dryness and add a bit of anti aging as well.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:37 am      Reply with quote
I wish I could live without moisturizers, but in cold climate they're needed. My skin under eyes is thirsty all year too.
starxiao
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
I can't live without a moisturizer,from spring to winter, moisturizer plays the most important role in my life

without it, I have no idea how my skin will look like, all kinds of wrinkles will appear, like dry land thirsty for a rain pouring
nevava
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:02 am      Reply with quote
starxiao wrote:
I can't live without a moisturizer,from spring to winter, moisturizer plays the most important role in my life

without it, I have no idea how my skin will look like, all kinds of wrinkles will appear, like dry land thirsty for a rain pouring

Well, you can try not use any moisturizers sometimes to let your skin moisturize itself, it helps to keep skin healthy other than totally rely on moisturizers. Don't forget to use gentle clenser either.
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:10 am      Reply with quote
I stopped moisturizing for over 6 months and I have to say that I had days when my skin was fine and then there were days when it was dry and flaky. I think I could do without moisturizer but I noticed that an eye cream/gel is a must. I actually developed fine lines around my eyes (which I never had) when I stopped moisturizing but overall facial skin was unaffected.

I do think moisturising seems to make the skin look abit more plumped up though.
starxiao
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
nevava wrote:
starxiao wrote:

Well, you can try not use any moisturizers sometimes to let your skin moisturize itself, it helps to keep skin healthy other than totally rely on moisturizers. Don't forget to use gentle clenser either.

i don't understand when you say let the skin moisturize itself, how can the skin moisturize itself?
I'm sensitive skin,so gentle cleanser is a daily must,I just don't know how to let my skin work normally if no moisturizer applies
pinkrose
5% products discount

Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi there,

The trouble with this 'new study' is that it is new. I for one shall contunue using moisturiser because I am pleased with how my complexion looks and I know it works.

I also know how my leather settee would dry out if it were not 'nourished' and I do not want to end up with skin that looks like leather.

Dr Nicholas Perricone, a leading dermatologist has extolled the virtues of moisturizing, and he regards 'keeping the skin moist and hydrated is extremely important'.

Avoiding moisturizing can result in tight, parched skin which can cause wrinkles and we all know how hard [impossible?] they are to get rid of.

We all want more supple and radiant skin. Using moisturizer is the way to go for me and spares me any future disappointment over the appearance of my complexion.

Also, no moisturizing creams means NO SUN-BLOCK!!

Best wishes,

pinkrose
sophia1015
5% products discount

Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:27 pm      Reply with quote
it would be sufficient during summer to go with lotion only...

but never think of it during winter.
LLucy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:02 am      Reply with quote
That's the point though: lotion IS a moisturizer. So is any kind of oil. So is any kind of liquid sunscreen.

I don't moisturize my arms and legs very often, so by following this theory, they should be in better shape than my face. They aren't. The skin on my face is much better in terms of texture and pigmentation.

I liked the leather couch analogy. Without SOME kind of moisturizing my face starts to resemble old leather. Maybe the validity of this study has to do with how oily a person's skin is to begin with? Or how old? There is no need to daily moisturize a baby's face, but uh...after a certain age? Wink
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:15 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |