Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Mabsy: henna question
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
I am 34 and need to colour my hair every 8 weeks b/c of gray. I wanted to check with you to see how you are liking the henna. I just had my hair coloured at a salon last week so how long do I need to wait if I want to do a henna? Also did it dry your hair at all? I love the smooth, silky feeling I get from the colour at the hairdresser but hate having to go in so often. Plus if it doesn't work it would be a nightmare to go without colouring for a year!!!! (Sorry for all the questions!)
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:27 am      Reply with quote
I know this was for Mabsy but I use the Henna from Lush on a regular basis (if someone has other recommendations let me know).

If you have a high % of grey or recently coloured hair I would strongly suggest a strand test. Just take some hair from your brush and dye that.

If you are looking for red/auburn the grey could come out a very vibrant orange Confused

For me to cover my grey which is round my hair line I do this more frequently than my whole head which seems to hold the pigment better.

I've not found that it dries my hair but leaves it with a lovely shine.

There is another brand that is not chemically based which I can't remember the name of right now! that was good I'll try and find out the name.
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:53 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply. I would really appreciate it if you could find the name of the one you use.

I went to the health food store here and they had 2 brands. No one in the store used the product themselves and both have them had heard (the same as I have) that hennas dry out your hair as the moisture can't get through.

I would really like to try it though. I don't have that much gray but still need to colour every 6-8 weeks. I don't like using the chemical stuff and am not ready to just let my gray be yet.

Henna seems like a better alternative although the thought of not being able to colour with a chemical colour for a year if the henna doesn't work out is a bit daunting.
vegas gal
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:25 am      Reply with quote
lily wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I would really appreciate it if you could find the name of the one you use.

I think the one that Eve uses from Lush is called Les Caca and can be found atwww.lush.com. click on usa They have the following;

Caca Marron, the shiny chestnut one
Caca Brun, the subtle coffee coloured one
Caca Noir, The deep blue black-burgundy one
Caca Rouge, The really red one.

I just did my friend hair with the caca marron and it turned out beautiful, but it is very very messy. So if you decide to use it don't go near carpet or anything else that you don't want stained while applying it. If you want to see pictures of peoples hair that have been "cacaed" you can go to the lush (click)forum at the top of the lush home page (I tried to put a link but it won't work) and look under product questions. It's posted as a "sticky" that says "Happy Caca Heads". There you can ask questions all about the product and look at before and after pictures.
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info. We have a Lush here in town so I'm going to go and check it out.
How long have you been using hennas for?
vegas gal
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
I have never used it on myself. I did a friends hair last week. You would think that the lush henna would make you hair feel really dry, but it is just the opposite. It is a pain to use and get out of the hair, but the results are great. You have to leave it in for at least 1 hour and they recommend you do a strand test, we didn't. I left it on my friends hair for 1 1/2 hours. The next time I henna her hair I'm going to mix the marron and some rouge to give it some pop. She has medium brown hair. I love red hair but sadly I don't look good in it. I'm a blond.
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:56 am      Reply with quote
I've been using henna for a few years must be about 10 off and on. Vegas girl is 100% correct, it is messy and can take ages to shampoo the bits out but like she says shine is lovely. I've been going for the noir because I like the inky black look but this time I added a chunk of brun to warm it up a little - I fancied a change.

If you wrap shrinkwrap/clingfilm round the hair it helps to retain the heat and this tends to bring out the red, left to air dry brings out the darker tone.
vegas gal
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
I would highly recommend using cling film or a plastic bag. That way it won't dry out and I think you'll get better results.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
I used to add conditioner when i used to henna my hair...it stops it drying out (cling film or placcy bag essential though!) and stops the splatt a bit as you apply.
I stopped doing it in the end when I became more time-poor Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:33 am      Reply with quote
some people add olive oil to the mix.

BTW - I didn't get chance to go in to town and get the name of that dye. Confused
Mabsy

Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:13 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, I've been away overseas and just got back. I also use the henna from LUSH, on Eve's recommendation actually I think Smile I add green tea to it but have also heard that a bit of vinegar brings out the red more (haven't tried this).

From what I recall you have to wait 6 months before or after having henna done if you have had or plan to have a normal chemical hair color. I don't think I waited this long but the one I used prior was an ammonia-free semi-permanent DIY color not a proper hairdresser one.
wen_goldfish
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:22 am      Reply with quote
I use body art henna with excellent results, I have used Lush but the color did not last long.www.hennaforhair.com has lots of useful info. I used to buy from them but I found a local Persian store that has excellent henna powder and is cheaper too. I would never go back to chemical dyes again. After rinsing out all the henna I put on a deep moisturizing treatment for 1/2 hour, it helps to keep my hair very soft. Laughing
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:32 am      Reply with quote
wen, you're a very bad person. I've just ordered some indigo from that site so I'll have extra raven hair Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |