Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Carole Maggio's No Lipo Lipo
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
wrinklefreeforever wrote:
Thanks April! There is so much to know about our bodies. I have been taking DHEA supplements because I read that as we age it diminishes and it helps with retaining muscles, etc. It is even good for fertility. They say to not take more than 25 to 50mg but then I read that DHEA can cause increase estrogen and testosterone. So with that being said, I was hoping that the increase in testosterone would help. However, an increase in estrogen can cause cellulite. BUT I also read that its the decrease in estrogen around perimenopause that causes cellulite and crepey skin. Sooooooooo confusing!!! All I know is my skin looks drastically worse than last summer.
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks April! There is so much to know about our bodies. I have been taking DHEA supplements because I read that as we age it diminishes and it helps with retaining muscles, etc. It is even good for fertility. They say to not take more than 25 to 50mg but then I read that DHEA can cause increase estrogen and testosterone. So with that being said, I was hoping that the increase in testosterone would help. However, an increase in estrogen can cause cellulite. BUT I also read that its the decrease in estrogen around perimenopause that causes cellulite and crepey skin. Sooooooooo confusing!!! All I know is my skin looks drastically worse than last summer.

I hear ya....it seems to happen so quickly! I think that DHEA can increase estrogen somewhat and symptoms will subside because I tried that before actually going on bioidentical estrogen. I just think you are relying upon the DHEA to convert to estrogen when you can't really be sure what it will convert to... Personally, I have never noticed an increase in cellulite from estrogen use. I guess it's possible if you don't have enough progesterone to balance it out, you could possibly have water retention which would make cellulite look more pronounced. Anyway, on a positive note, I think if you try the program you will like it. As I said, if you stick with it, you can see results. Btw, DHEA can help with skin, but not the oral kind. I did a little research on it and found that cream form is the way to go. I used to take capsules myelf and never saw anything. I then purchased Lifeflo DHEA from iHerb and have been using it for a couple of months. I noticed the skin on my arms where I applied it seemed thicker. I ran out and haven't used it for about a month and noticed my skin looks worse....soooo I know for sure that it's the DHEA that helped my arms look better... HTH, Aprile
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:42 am      Reply with quote
I hate to be the bearer of bad news (or good news albeit ha ha) but its recently been reported over here that men do indeed suffer from Cellulite. It was on a tv program over here, and there were doctors and surgeons on there talking about the various methods they have used to treat men and women over the past ten years plus. Some even said they worked on male celebs since the 90’s – so I find that quite interesting. I’m not sure I believe it to be heredity. I think its possible, but not sure all cases are just down to that. My mother was the opposite of me, a very skinny, lean woman, whereas I’ve always been short in height and well plumpish for want of a better word. Its not excess fat either, as I’ve lost weight at several points but my body isn’t designed to be stick insect thin which is fine. Also I’m in my 60’s and have to say I’m more comfortable in my own skin at this point in time than I was ever in my youth (and when I think about the dieting I did to try and make myself skinny it makes me shudder).

I definitely do think this program works though and have done it for ages now and wouldn’t be without it. I’ve even tried it with a dry skin brush and by far Carole’s gloves and the backstrap are worth their weight in gold and produce so much better results in my person opinion!
aprile wrote:
Hi ladies - I have been reading your posts for over a year and I want to try this system. Oddly enough, I have a sudden onslaught of cellulite on my inner thighs and the top. Not sure what happened or why, because I work out 5 days per week and am only 100 lbs.

Anyway, my question is this - what is the science behind it. I mean do we know why the knuckling works - what exactly is it doing to the cellulite?

I recently tried a fat cavitation and skin tightening combo - just once so far - no real change.

I am desperate for this to work but just want to know why it works or how it works.

Can anyone offer some insight? Thanks soooo much and Happy Valentines Day to you all!

Hi Wrinkelfree,
All I can tell you is that cellulite seems to be hereditary....hence even skinny women suffer from it. Also, it mostly affects women and seems to be connected to changing hormone levels. Personally, my theory is once testosterone levels dip, and this happens around peri-menopause (35-50) you can bet cellulite will show up....to what extend largely depends upon your heredity. The reason I believe testosterone is the major player here is that most men do NOT have cellulite. Also, testosterone builds muscle mass and therefore there's less room for fat, which is basically what cellulite is. But, to be more specific -- as we age, the skin becomes thinner and less elastic, therefore the fat bulges through. That, combined with the above mentioned factors are what probably contribute to cellulite rearing its ugly head. The dry brushing aspect of the program tones the muscles, detoxes and lifts the skin and increases circulation. NLL massage is supposed to break down the fatty deposits and they are flushed from the system. I swear by it. Personally, for me, it has even helped my crinkly menopausal skin and lifted the skin around my knees that Carole likes to call "knee socks". Make no mistake about it --- The program takes work and consistency, but for me and many others -- it's worth the effort because it pays off. Not to mention the cost factor...NLL is a bargain, especially compared to the other procedures you already had which didn't provide any discernable results. HTH, Aprile
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:54 am      Reply with quote
That's very interesting TM and I certainly don't doubt it...I just meant that certainly a ton more women suffer from cellulite than men. But if more men are experiencing cellulite these days then you could definitely attribute that to hormone imbalance, more specifically -- men who have more estrogen than testosterone. Sadly, our world today is full of xenoestrogens from chemicals in our personal care products as well as the from environmental toxins. All of this exposure eventually shows up in the body, which is probably WHY many more men are experiencing this problem. I think that both men and women can benefit from hormone balancing. I have noticed that my cellulite, even though it wasn't extreme, has lessened now that my hormones are balanced. That said, NLL is a huge benefit for not only cellulite reduction, but also toning the muscles and lifting the skin and eliminating crinkly menopausal skin. Wishing everyone good luck with this program!! Smile Aprile
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:09 am      Reply with quote
That's very interesting TM and I certainly don't doubt it...I just meant that certainly a ton more women suffer from cellulite than men. But if more men are experiencing cellulite these days then you could definitely attribute that to hormone imbalance, more specifically -- men who have more estrogen than testosterone. Sadly, our world today is full of xenoestrogens from chemicals in our personal care products as well as the from environmental toxins. All of this exposure eventually shows up in the body, which is probably WHY many more men are experiencing this problem. I think that both men and women can benefit from hormone balancing. I have noticed that my cellulite, even though it wasn't extreme, has lessened now that my hormones are balanced. That said, NLL is a huge benefit for not only cellulite reduction, but also toning the muscles and lifting the skin and eliminating crinkly menopausal skin. Wishing everyone good luck with this program!! Smile Best, Aprile
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Ha ha well I think that as women, we’re more communicative than men. I’ve certainly noticed with my dh, he never talks to other guys about things wrong with him whatever it is. He’s not got cellulite, but could you imagine big burly guys chatting about cellulite – too funny.

I guess that maybe men who have it may be hormonally imbalanced too though – it’s a thought for sure.
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:58 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Ha ha well I think that as women, we’re more communicative than men. I’ve certainly noticed with my dh, he never talks to other guys about things wrong with him whatever it is. He’s not got cellulite, but could you imagine big burly guys chatting about cellulite – too funny.

I guess that maybe men who have it may be hormonally imbalanced too though – it’s a thought for sure.

Quote:
He’s not got cellulite, but could you imagine big burly guys chatting about cellulite – too funny.

Lol yes too funny...puts me in mind of that TV commercial where one man is asking another if the pants he is wearing makes his butt look big.
wrinklefreeforever
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:05 am      Reply with quote
You ladies have certainly been helpful. I will try the dhea cream, and when I have some funds avail, the NLL. I am just so upset with this sudden onset of it - one day it wasn't there and boom here it is. I just want to cry I am so frustrated! I am so desperate, some days I just want to scrape it all off with something sharp. I hate the way it looks!
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:18 am      Reply with quote
You ladies have certainly been helpful. I will try the dhea cream, and when I have some funds avail, the NLL. I am just so upset with this sudden onset of it - one day it wasn't there and boom here it is. I just want to cry I am so frustrated! I am so desperate, some days I just want to scrape it all off with something sharp. I hate the way it looks!

I totally get where you are coming from...aging totally sucks. Oops! That said, DHEA helps thicken the skin and NO LIPO LIPO ROCKS!!! As TM mentioned, Carole's mitts are the best and her program is easy to follow and really works if you put the time in!!! Best of luck, Aprile
hawthorn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:20 am      Reply with quote
You're right Aprile, NLL does rock. I put on 49 pounds when I was pregnant with my twins. I was huge. I've lost 43 pounds of that and I'm not looking to lose any more as my face looks good at my present weight.

Despite how big my belly got during pregnancy my stomach looks pretty good now. It's not flat but the skin is in really good condition and not crinkly at all. That's from doing NLL.

Wed May 22, 2013 12:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi, haven't posted here before but find it all makes fascinating reading. I've just purchased the nolipolipo dvd, sisal glove and the back strap and I'm waiting for them to arrive. My main problem area is my belly. It's just gotten so large, and I don't have any kids so that's not the reason. The thing is, I suffer from health problems that can leave me pretty tired. Can I just focus on the part that causes me problems - the abdominal area - or do I have to do the whole thing including all the skin brushing? Is it possible to use an electric massager to minimise fatigue or wouldn't that have the same effect? Thanks for any tips!
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 22, 2013 5:04 am      Reply with quote
Hi Smartie,

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Hopefully you aren't taking any medication that is causing stomach bloating, as many medications will do that. Imo, if NLL is to work properly, you need to do all the steps, including the dry brushing. That helps to stimulate circulation as well. So yes you should absolutely follow the DVD and do all the steps. Her program is designed to use your hands... once you view the dvd you will see what I mean. I don't think you can accurately replicate those moves with some type of device. Best, Aprile Smile
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 22, 2013 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there, I wouldn't think it a good idea to work on just problem areas, but to follow complete program. I do 60 strokes on each area and it doesn't take long at all, but you really will feel more benefit to doing the whole thing. Even though you think tummy is problem, sometimes the circulation being poor in other areas is the reason for the build up in the ab area. So you want to ensure there's no blockages in the pipeworks.

I think electric massager is not good idea either. I really like using the hands/gloves, and there's something magical that happens, plus you can go deep with your hands more than any machine. It took me time to build up to doing everything but I'm in my 60's but I have to say that I'm really pleased with my results and so are friends (a few have bought it as a result of seeing my progress). Plus I started this thread up so that says a lot in my book!
smartie33 wrote:
Hi, haven't posted here before but find it all makes fascinating reading. I've just purchased the nolipolipo dvd, sisal glove and the back strap and I'm waiting for them to arrive. My main problem area is my belly. It's just gotten so large, and I don't have any kids so that's not the reason. The thing is, I suffer from health problems that can leave me pretty tired. Can I just focus on the part that causes me problems - the abdominal area - or do I have to do the whole thing including all the skin brushing? Is it possible to use an electric massager to minimise fatigue or wouldn't that have the same effect? Thanks for any tips!
smartie33

Thu May 23, 2013 12:51 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for these tips guys! It should arrive so I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers!
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 24, 2013 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
Oh you can definitely "spot treat" with the NLL system if you want to just "treat" your tummy area. I would however, suggest that you perform the dry brushing on your entire body just because it's so healthy for you and will assist in removing toxins and move lymph in the body! As for the deep knuckle massage part of the treatment, if you don't have excess skin, flab or cellulite in the other areas, then there's no need to treat those areas with the deep knuckle massage. That's just my take. Aprile
Mariek
5% products discount

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:32 am      Reply with quote
I read through this thread after years of trying everything else for stage 3 cellulite with high hopes since i am in the same age group as many success stories. i think i was overzealous because i am now covered in puple bruises. I went overboard when I could feel the little pea size fat pockets which are hardended and painful with my knuckles. i wanted to massage them away so bad. well i didn't and now i have a beach date coming up. I knew tha I knew better. So what do you ladies do or take to prevent bruising. Is ester C enough - how much do you take.
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:39 am      Reply with quote
Mariek wrote:
I read through this thread after years of trying everything else for stage 3 cellulite with high hopes since i am in the same age group as many success stories. i think i was overzealous because i am now covered in puple bruises. I went overboard when I could feel the little pea size fat pockets which are hardended and painful with my knuckles. i wanted to massage them away so bad. well i didn't and now i have a beach date coming up. I knew tha I knew better. So what do you ladies do or take to prevent bruising. Is ester C enough - how much do you take.

You can ust take as directed on the bottle. Just make sure you take it everyday without fail. Also, if you live near a healthfood store or even a Walgreens, they carry Arnica Montana gel, which usually gets rid of bruising fast. They also sell single dose remedies to take internally at healthfood stores, and even if you bump yourself really hard, if you take it right away, you will never get black and blue. It's a homeopathic remedy. Boirons is the brand for the Arnica Montana gel. If you can't find it locally, you can order on line. It's fabulous!!! HTH, Aprile
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
I have just finished reading the entire thread. (I have been going through thread after thread the last few weeks looking for something for loose skin.) I have lost weight, and look like the Saggy Baggy Elephant.

This looks very attractive, but can I also use the dry massage for the skin on my neck? Should I order the face mitt for the neck? Should I also order the face DVD for my neck? (My face looks ok, but the weight loss effected my neck badly.)

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:09 am      Reply with quote
MarieIG wrote:
I have just finished reading the entire thread. (I have been going through thread after thread the last few weeks looking for something for loose skin.) I have lost weight, and look like the Saggy Baggy Elephant.

This looks very attractive, but can I also use the dry massage for the skin on my neck? Should I order the face mitt for the neck? Should I also order the face DVD for my neck? (My face looks ok, but the weight loss effected my neck badly.)

Hi Marie (fellow Long Island girl!). I have been a faithful NLL user for years now. I will say that dry brushing rocks... It can tighten and tone the skinn and stimulates circulation. If you want to firm up your face and neck, purchase Carole's bamboo facial mitt - it rocks for ironing out temporary sleep lines too! The body responds well to dry brushing in many ways - I'd recommend starting out with the sisal mitt and then moving onto the horsehair mitt once your skin becomes accustomed to daily brushing. It is also considered an adjunct to detoxification programs and not only sheds the dry skin cells, but when used daily, can lift and tone up the skin as well as increase circulation which in turn can aid in cellulite reduction. As for the loose skin... you will need to be super dilligent with the NLL technique, which includes dry brushing and a deep knuckle treatment (following the DVD)... I would say you can firm up your loose skin if you use more strokes (60 per area) rather than the 30 she recommends in the dvd. Btw, she recommends less for the general population so that the task doesn't seem so daunting!!! Best, Aprile
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much Aprile. I plan to buy this on my next credit card cycle, which starts the 12th, so I have to wait a few weeks, but I just spent too much money on Isomers serums. Grrrr. I will start with the sisal mitt that you recommend. Do to the my limited time in the morning, I believe that I will do the dry brushing in the morning, and the massage in the evening. Thank you again.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
MarieIG wrote:
Thank you so much Aprile. I plan to buy this on my next credit card cycle, which starts the 12th, so I have to wait a few weeks, but I just spent too much money on Isomers serums. Grrrr. I will start with the sisal mitt that you recommend. Do to the my limited time in the morning, I believe that I will do the dry brushing in the morning, and the massage in the evening. Thank you again.

Hey Marie ~ that's actually the best thing to do -- split the routine. Most of us are sper busy and pressed for time!!! But also, dry brushing invigorates the skin and really wakes me up in the morning. I don't think I'd like to do it at night. lol. If you need any helpful tips, once you get the dvd, let me know, I will guide you through it... it's easy!! The sisal mitt and the bamboo glove for the face are what I recommend... Carolyn Cleaves has a great brush routine for the neck. Maybe Nonie or Sister Sweets can guide you how to find.. I think there might be a Youtube vid too. All the best Aprile
Rylie

Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Aprile

This is my first time posting.
I have been working on my knee wrinkles, real bad ones for the past 9 days. I have been drying brushing and then doing the knuckle massage 3 to 4 times a day and instead of getting better, the lines are getting deeper and more distinct than before.

Is that how it is supposed to be at the beginning until the skin gets used to it or am I doing too many times a day.

I also do more than 60 strokes for each area each session.

Is that like overdoing things?

Please advise me. Thanks.
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi Rylie & welcome to the forum! I have never heard of that happening before with NLL but I suppose you could overdo any program. Do you have the dvd and sre you following the movements as shown? Is your skin very thin and crepey? Do you bruise easily? Just trying to troubleshoot what could be going on, so please let me know! Best, Aprile
Rylie

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi Aprile
I don't have the DVD but I have been watching whatever videos that have been uploaded on YouTube on NLL.

Yes..I do have very thin skin, bruise easily and have varicose veins in my lower legs. Besides creepy skin, I have deep knee wrinkles as well.

What should I do next?

I have been so hopeful when I came across this forum and read every exchange on this forum before I embarked on my own treatment.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:28 am      Reply with quote
aprile wrote:
[...]
Hey Marie ~ that's actually the best thing to do -- split the routine. Most of us are sper busy and pressed for time!!! But also, dry brushing invigorates the skin and really wakes me up in the morning. I don't think I'd like to do it at night. lol. If you need any helpful tips, once you get the dvd, let me know, I will guide you through it... it's easy!! The sisal mitt and the bamboo glove for the face are what I recommend... Carolyn Cleaves has a great brush routine for the neck. Maybe Nonie or Sister Sweets can guide you how to find.. I think there might be a Youtube vid too. All the best Aprile

Hi MarieIG:

This is The Brush that aprile is referring to:

http://www.carolynsfacialfitness.com/the-brush

While neck cords may not be your problem, the thread discussing them may have suggestions you may find useful:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=49048
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |