Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

vitamins for strong nails?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Oceanpearl
5% products discount

Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
I am doing some research on the internet to find out which vitamins to take for stronger nails.

I have had brittle nails, that split all the time, for at least ten years.

I have had some health problems (thyroid, anemia, etc etc) all which are under control.

But I still have weak nails.

Now I am doing a course to learn gel nails, and as a nail technician in training, clients and models always ask me about nail problems, the most common being brittle nails.

I want to compile a list of vitamins to help with this problem, and of course get some of the vitamins myself.

Can anyone recommend a multivitamin for nails (brand and place to buy it)? Add or change anything on the list?

Take a daily multivitamin for nails. Alternatively take biotin, B2, Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids (or flax seed oil), vitamin A, Buffered Vitamin C (alkaline vitamin C products such as calcium ascorbate, sodium ascorbate, or magnesium-potassium ascorbates).
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:53 am      Reply with quote
My nails are normally short and brittle (except when I was pregnant) and they grew really strong and long while I was taking MSM. I just couldn't get past the headache stage while taking them so I stopped and now my nails are back to their old short selves. I plan I trying the MSM again. Here's a good thread that has alot of good info and recommendations for brands. It's a long read though Smile
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=20364
Oceanpearl
5% products discount

Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
hi Diane

thank you so much for that thread!

I have been reading it for a couple of hours and found it very informative.

I think in a nutshell I need to take MSM capsules with no filler, Ester-C and Omega 3.

I wonder now if I should take hydrochloric acid, biotin and folic acid too?

I will ask in that thread.

Kind regards
Erika
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
Vitamins: Biotin, Silicea, Cal-Mag, MSM
I take GNC multi-vitamins and they make your nails strong and eyelashes long Smile

But if you really want to have strong nails, try Nailtiques Nail Protein Formula 2 treatment specifically for soft, week, bitten, peeling nails.

This treatment also makes my nails grow fast, which is not a very good thing for me as I prefer to have very short, cute, little girl kind of nails.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:41 am      Reply with quote
My nails have gone from weak, transparent, splitting and breaking to strong and opaque - simply by rubbing Emu Oil into them every night.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:27 am      Reply with quote
Oceanpearl - how much biotin are you taking? I take 3,000 mcg and its really made a difference for my nails and hair.
Oceanpearl
5% products discount

Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
hi GirllieGirl, I am taking a small dose, only 250 mcg a day

But I am taking so many others.

It's hard to say wheter my nails have gotten better as I have gels, no toenails are not so good either but that's because my toddler keeps stepping on them, so my big toenails are falling out.

One of the things I started taking is MSM, as well as multivatamin, Omega 3 and Ester C.

And a lot of the joint pain has dissappeared! My knees and ankles no longer hurt!

Even if I haven't noticed a difference on the nails and hair, my joints are doing the best in years and I am able to work out again without pain!
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
I started taking MSM and I don't know if my nails are stronger but they are definitely growing faster.

I started taking MSM and not doing anything else on my diet and then I started noticing that my manicure lasts a lot less than it used to just because my nails grow so quick!

To be honest, it's a little bit of a pain... Sad

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
Trulygalore

Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:20 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone -
Feeling a little dense here but what is MSM - a vitamin or nutritional supplement of some sort?
Also have developed weak, peeling nails and am looking for a non-topical solution to the problem.

Thank you!
Oceanpearl
5% products discount

Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:54 am      Reply with quote
Trulygalore, have a look at this link:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=20364

it gives you all you need to know about MSM

I don't take it alone, but in conjuction with multivitamins, omega 3, and ester C, all twice a day.

I also take a small dose of folic acid and biotin.

I also take betaine when I remember to (it has to be taken prior to meals, and I just seem to forget everytime).

Some more recommendations below (I do manicures and pedicures and this I print on the back of my flyer):

Nail ailments

- Ingrown nails can affect either the fingers or the toes. In this condition, the nail cuts into one or both sides of the nail bed, resulting in inflammation and possibly infection.

- "Ram's-horn nail" is a thickening and increase in curvature of the nail. It may be partially hereditary and can also occur as a result of long-term neglect. It is most commonly seen in the big toe but may be seen in other toes and fingernails.

- Iron deficiency is also one main cause for the change in the shape of nails where the nails get curved upwards, which is referred to as spoon-shaped nails.

- Splitting and fraying are associated with psoriasis and deficiencies of folic acid, protein and Vitamin C.

- Unusual thickness is associated with circulation problems.

- Lack of protein, folic acid and vitamin C causes hangnails (small strips of torn cuticle, usually caused by shrinking and splitting of the cuticle at the base or side of the nail because of dehydration, but can also be the result of a nail-biting or cuticle-picking habit).

- White bands across the nails are a result of protein deficiency.

- A lack of sufficient hydrochloric acid can cause splitting nails.

- Lack of vitamin B2 can lead to dryness, very rounded and curved ends and darkening of nails.

- Insufficient zinc can cause development of white spots on the nails.

- Cuts and cracks in the nails may indicate a need for more liquids.

Foods to choose for healthy nails

Yeast extracts, salmon, mackerel and sardines, nuts and seeds, whole grains, green, leafy vegetables, fresh or dried fruit, chicken, eggs, seaweed.

Recommended supplements: MSM capsules with no filler, Ester-C, Omega 3 and GNC multivitamins. Hydrochloric acid, biotin and folic acid are also beneficial for optimal nail health.

Corns, Calluses

Corns and calluses are the most common conditions on the skin of the foot. A corn, which is a thickening of the outer layer of skin, usually occurs on the tops of the toes. Sheering pressures cause calluses, which are the same condition on the bottom of the feet. Corns and calluses are the foot’s defense against friction and pressure. These conditions are usually painful but can respond to conservative care.

Dry, Cracked Feet

Dry, cracked feet, is a condition that affects the soles of the feet - particularly the heels. The skin becomes dry and callused, and fissures form. In some cases the fissures can be quite deep, but difficult to see because of the dry skin built up around them. The condition of dry, cracked feet occurs because of the body’s inability to provide natural oils and moisture to the area and the skin’s reduced capacity to retain moisture.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:45 am      Reply with quote
MSM is cheapest and easiest found in the proper form (no fillers, etc) when bought in powder form and you can add by teas. (or 1/2 teas).
Source naturals makes a good MSM product.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:05 am      Reply with quote
i always thought calcium is good if i want strong nails?
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:25 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |