Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

36 Months of Trial and Error - age 45+
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:04 am      Reply with quote
I am 48 years young, fair skin, Northern European descent, natural hair color is strawberry blonde - green eyes.

One day, about 3 years ago, I woke up from years of parenting and taking care of my family to discover that I was no longer the person I once was - in many ways. I have worked hard since to recapture some of my youth, while also accepting the passage of time.

This project has taken many forms, but the one I will discuss here is my face.

I do not have before and after pictures, but I do know that I no longer confront the mirror in horror - so that's good enough for me - for now.

It has been a long and winding road:

I started with retinoids - retinyldehyde( sp?) to tazarotene to retin A at night. I got some pretty serious peeling for the first 2 years. For the past year - only mild peeling. I can't tell whether my skin has finally acclimated or whether the people at ADC are selling reformulated products Embarassed eek! For some reason, the tazarotene that used to leave me with redness and soreness - just doesn't seem to cause any reaction now (?)

I then added Vitamin C to my morning regimin. After too much research, I ended up going with Skinmedica C which I have used for about 2 years. I now alternate Skinmedica C with my own C serum made at home.

I then tried to find an effective sunscreen - wow! who knew sunscreen could be so complicated and controversial! I will spare you the details, but I have tried several over the past few years and now mostly use Blue Lizard and Avene products. I have learned to use sunscreen as a moisturizer.

I tried chemical peels with good results. These really removed years of tiny old sun spots from my face. I have seriously cut back on the peels since learning about dermarolling.

I have just started dermarolling, so do not have anything yet there to report.

About a year and a few months ago, I got my first Botox injections in my forehead, brow furrow and crows feet. I have noticed over time, that each treatment lasts longer and longer - yeah!

The dark cirles and loosening skin under my eyes threw me into a minor crisis. I think I tried every concealer and skin brightening product known to man - only one thing worked: Restylane in the tear troughs. I have had this done 3 times so far and my eyes look sooo much better - but I do worry about the expense. I do not believe there is currently any other method for restoring volume due to facial fat loss - other than fat grafting- and I have read mixed results about that.

I am now reaching a point where my face is unlined and smooth and very youthful, but it doesn't match up with the sagging which is starting to show in the lower half of my face. I am looking into the alternatives: facial exercise and surgery.

My regimin looks something like this:

Oil based cleanser
Vitamin C serum
Sunscreen
Makeup

Evening:
Oil based cleanser
Retinoids

Very occasionally: chem peels
Occasionally: Botox and Restylane

Newly added: Dermarolling

Wish me luck!

BF
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Great post, BFgirl, and I wish you lots of luck. I had the same "wake-up" reaction when I hit 40, and have tried a ton of stuff, so I completely understand what you are saying!

Hope you will take before/after pictures for your dermarolling and facial exercise experiment, as I would love to follow your progress.

(The reaction from taz/retinoids is supposed to taper off as you get used to them. Are you using retinoids nightly? I ask because from everything I have read, you are supposed to use nightly for 1 year and then back off to only a few days a week.)
vikki_cooler
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:08 am      Reply with quote
Wish you a lot of luck!

So great you share this with us. Although I am not in your age yet, I will store this thread for future....
fab50
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:09 am      Reply with quote
BFG,
I can totally relate. At 51, I feel as if I've been going thru a midlife crisis for the past few years---seriously---on many levels I just feel so differently about so many things than I did when I was younger. My youngest just graduated from college last month, so eventhough we've been empty-nesters for the past 4 years when he first left, we're REAL empty-nesters now.

My skincare is such a work-in-progress. I still battle acne on a daily basis. I'm constantly tweaking my rountine. I've been using retin-a for the past 2+ years and my skin has never really acclimated to it. It doesn't peel horribly, but it's always peel-y to the point where I can't really even wear makeup because it just hangs off the flakes - real attractive, huh? I'm now thinking about only using it once or twice a week to see how that goes. I'm fortunate in that wrinkles aren't much of a problem yet, so at least I have that going for me.

Thanks for the post - it was interesting.

5% products discount

Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:57 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I can certainly relate to it. It is basically a journey. You try this and that and see what works and discard what does not work.

I just got my first botox shot. Wow! It has already started working and I love it. I love what it has done to the frown lines. My only concern is that I will get addicted to it.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
I went through mid-life crises in my early 20's and I loved the changes I made in my life back then. I think I had a mini one last summer, but it all turned out to be good but sort of a had adjustment for certain things.
Good for you for being pro active with your skin! I have not noticed the sagging of my lower half of my skin, but I can see how my skin tissue might look a bit softer and I know that it's gradually changing. I might have surgery also when it gets to that point.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the responses.

I have always used the retinoids about 3 nights per week (that was my tolerance level) ...and have really noticed a reduction in peeling - but only for the past few months, this is strange.

There is apparently a product that helps deal with the flaking - made by LaRoche Posay, I believe the name is Cicasta or something like that - I have not yet tried it.

Yes, facial aging is just one of several issues we deal with at this point in life...there are losses as well as gains. My face was just the most obvious place to start making some changes and in hindsight, I am glad to have started this. I have no idea what I would look like now if I had not...

BF
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Everyone!! I can certainly relate as well. I've been going through a lot of changes lately myself -- both emotionally and physically. I have become very unhappy with myself in the last few years, and I particularly didn't like the way I looked. I've always struggled with my appearance, but the whole aging process really began to depress me.

I'm working on my self-image and this forum has provided a tremendous amount of information and experience in regards to products, processes, and regimens.

I've become proactive with this whole getting older thing, but I know I've got a long way to go. But you have to start somewhere and I agree that a lot of it is trial and error.

Congrats to all who have found what works!! I do enjoy reading about the journeys we're all on.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
great post!

from spending a year or so since joining this forum getting my skin so it was beginning to look really quite good, various personal and professional things happened and my skin ended up taking a back seat until I got to the point where I got a real shock when I looked in the mirror!

I'm getting back onto the strict regimen again now though. I've just ordered some vivier C kinerol serum and vialox (why did I EVER stop using a C serum?) and I'm hoping to get my face and body into some semblence of shape!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
bft and all of you who have posted. Great posts. I just started my anti-aging journey at 43. I'm kind of really obssess with some lines on my forehead. It seems that one day I looked at the mirror, and the lines came out of nowhere Sad
So i'm in the fighting mood to get rid of these lines. Sometimes my lines are very subtle, but other times they seem like real wrinkles Sad
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
At "our" age, we must be mindful not to get too fixated with looking at our face in the mirror every day and poring over each line and spot. I admit to being guilty of this myself. We must also take care of the rest of our body. A good exercise routine (gym, pilates, etc) can take years off your overall "look" because it promotes good posture and smooth movements. We must also ensure we eat a healthy diet and maybe bump up the anti-ageing supplements to give our bodies a bit of extra help. We must not underestimate that our "internal" well being can reflect in our skin too.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:41 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl, I enjoyed reading your post and our journey has been a very similar one - except I'm a decade older . My routine is pretty much identical to yours, although I've been dermarolling for quite some time.

Before I found this Forum I was thoroughly ashamed of my skin - blackheads, huge pores, lumps, bumps, broken caps, pimples, age spots and fine lines. However, I am now actually quite proud of the condition of my skin. My saviours have been OCM, Retin-A, Vitamin C, Dermaroller and every other gadget that I can lay my hands on. And, of course, Botox and occasional fillers - the upkeep of which is a killer.

BUT, I have not been able to do anything about the sagging in the lower area of my face (nose down). I have a STOP and Tua Viso and try to do facial exercises (half-heartedly, I admit!) but nothing has made a visible difference. On the other hand, if I wasn't doing all of this, maybe it would be allot worse (that's what I tell myself anyway).

Good luck with your journey and be sure to keep us informed of future progress.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:59 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I am 48 years young, fair skin, Northern European descent, .....One day, about 3 years ago...

I, too, am of Northern European descent w/ fair skin. I started looking into regaining my youth at about 47, tho - so you're a few years ahead of me. Confused

Quote:
I started with retinoids - retinyldehyde( sp?) to tazarotene to retin A at night. I got some pretty serious peeling for the first 2 years. For the past year - only mild peeling. I can't tell whether my skin has finally acclimated or whether the people at ADC are selling reformulated products Embarassed eek! For some reason, the tazarotene that used to leave me with redness and soreness - just doesn't seem to cause any reaction now (?)

I then added Vitamin C to my morning regimin. After too much research, I ended up going with Skinmedica C which I have used for about 2 years. I now alternate Skinmedica C with my own C serum made at home....I tried chemical peels with good results. These really removed years of tiny old sun spots from my face. I have seriously cut back on the peels since learning about dermarolling.

You sound like you might be a good candidate for CPs, barefoot. They don't work for everyone, but I sure saw excellent results from them. They can help w/ that sag that you've been seeing. At least it did for me. I actually have set mine aside for a while while I try the 302 products and my skin really misses them. When I started using them last year in March, my face took on a more youthful appearance. Enuf so that I was carded 3X last year (looked 35 - & I'm 50!).
There are some studies that actually show the effectiveness of CPs to be greater than Vit C or Retin A. I used Retin A w/ mine and w/ your routine, you could fit them in easily.

You need to separate you Vit C and the CPs by 12 hours, so alternating days w/ the application or using one in the AM and one in the PM would work well. Actually, you could alternate the Rein A w/ the CPs at night and use the Vit C in the morning since you only use the Retin A 3X/wk. I found the CPs worked excellent at decreasing the redness/irritation of tf the Retin A. And, CPs work best w/ some form of exfolliation, which you can get w/the Retin A and/or an occasional peel. The CPs work very slowly, so patience is needed in using them. PM me for more info if you like.

Quote:
I then tried to find an effective sunscreen - wow!

I so totally know where you're coming from on this. It is so hard to find a good one. I've used Skin Biology's Suntan lotion (body) or P&R DayCover for light exposure of the sun and they work well for than. I also use to like Cliniques City Block SPF 25. It's a physical one instead of chemical. I also like to use MMU now and it works really well for me. I usually put on a couple of layers and I'm sure thats why it works. I don't use the liquid SSs now since I switched to MMU, but will add the Clinique ( or a diff physical SS)for extra protection.

Quote:
About a year and a few months ago, I got my first Botox injections in my forehead, brow furrow and crows feet. I have noticed over time, that each treatment lasts longer and longer - yeah!

Love Botox! Esp for my 11's!! Nice for crowsfeet as well. I got my first one around 47, so it's been 3 years for me. Wanted to try the dermaroller for a cheaper alternative to Botox, but kept breaking out when I rolled (a blemish here or there would wreak havak on my skin), so I tried 302 to see if I could get rid of these (infrequent) breakouts. Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck in that area yet. Still hoping for it so I can get back to experimenting w/ the rolling.

On the dark circles - have you looked into the Instant Eye Tuck thread? Lots of ppl like that for circles. I tried Juve under my eyes (TT area) and it caused more darkness to show up (some bluish discoloration-a rare occurance) Won't go that route again - that's why I'm trying the Eye Tuck.

I also was looking into SX before I found CPs. I had looked into peels, too, but got scared away. I want to try facial exercises, but havn't been able to bcz I'm waiting unti my face clears (loooong transition using the 302 products for me)

Congrats on a line free face! It's so nice to get that at our age.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:27 am      Reply with quote
I have been using the tua viso for two days. I have looked at the dvd and I use the instruction booklet. As others have said, I do not get the same contraction on both sides nor at the same spot. I'm still trying to find the right spots. Is the point to move the tua viso until you get the best contraction? I would love to see how the face is supposed to look for the different exercises.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
MariaZee wrote:
I have been using the tua viso for two days. I have looked at the dvd and I use the instruction booklet. As others have said, I do not get the same contraction on both sides nor at the same spot. I'm still trying to find the right spots. Is the point to move the tua viso until you get the best contraction? I would love to see how the face is supposed to look for the different exercises.

I actually find the DVD an enormous help in demonstrating how the facial muscles are supposed to contract. However, I too have difficulty in getting both sides of the face to react in exactly the same way. I find it much easier to do my right side than my left. But remember that our faces are not completely symmetrical, so there will be some differences. Try to move the device about so that the contractions feel the same. Also, for further help - go to the Tua Viso thread at:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=31637

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Barefoot - Sounds like you're doing many things right and it's working.
I would encourage facial exercise - the cheek exercises help raise the lower face and facial massage really gets circulation going which helps the Glow!

I would really like to try the fillers but I am hesitant mainly due to getting hooked on them and the expense of maintaining the look. It's just not something I want to start on as I've heard that most of them disipate quickly and the results are gone. This is one reason I liked Artefil - it was expected to be more of a permanent solution but my derm told me they are bankrupt. Other options are temporary as you know and the cost in the US is prohibitive.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
Ladies - for the sagging jawline, I've recently begun running a .25 dr. roller along that area, then applying Elysee Youthspan Resculpting Concentrate. I had been using this serum under my chin and noticed a firming results, and the first night I only tried this on one side (from just beneath the corner of the mouth outward) - the following day I could definitely tell a difference. The best pricing I've found on this product is on HSN when they have it in stock.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
BFGirl -
Wow, that is quite a journey you've chronicled! It's so heartening to read success stories such as yours.

m1rox wrote:
At "our" age, we must be mindful not to get too fixated with looking at our face in the mirror every day and poring over each line and spot. I admit to being guilty of this myself. We must also take care of the rest of our body. A good exercise routine (gym, pilates, etc) can take years off your overall "look" because it promotes good posture and smooth movements. We must also ensure we eat a healthy diet and maybe bump up the anti-ageing supplements to give our bodies a bit of extra help. We must not underestimate that our "internal" well being can reflect in our skin too.

m1rox, I felt like your post was directed at me! I know I'm too obsessed with my skin, and I definitely need to take better care of the rest of me.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |