Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Ever tried 'threading' for hair removal?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
trigger
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
I just had a very precise and relatively pain free brow shaping done with threading. I loved it so much, I had my lip AND chin done! Something I don't normally do. Anyone else had this done?

If you're wondering what it is, it's a very ancient middle eastern hair removal technique, using just a piece of cotton, twisted and then used to pick up the hairs as it's held taut and allowed to untwist. It's very hygienic, as each thread is thrown away, and is less irritating than waxing, as it doesn't remove a top layer of skin as well. It's also more precise as one line of hair is removed at a time.

I was a beauty therapist who has done so much waxing my mind boggles, and I've got to say that this is far better for facial hair!!

BTW, I live in upstate NY. I've seen places in NYC that do it too. Not sure how common it is elsewhere. Look forward to your thoughts.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds like too much work. I'll stay with the traditional way of tweezing.
FJM

Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
i'm on long island and there are bunch of places that do it around here-
all i can say is you have to be careful how they do it-a few of the places the ladies do it with their mouth (pulling the thread i mean..)
i think that's pretty nasty but some don't do it like that..
other than that, anyone i know who's done it loved it- i'll stick to waxing !

5% products discount

Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
I think the thread they pull with in their mouth - that part never gets in touch with your skin - it is only needed for precise control.

I've had threading done - my goodness does it sting on the upper lip - makes my eyes water so much! But I think I may take a tylenol and go back to it, since I've been noticing my upper lip is getting lighter - I think from the waxing Sad

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
I had it done once in an Indian salon at Vancouver.I had lip and chin and some part of my cheeks hair removed. My face was red for at least a coupl of days and even had rashes for almost a week. I think my skin is too sensitive fot it. Never did it again.
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
I recently tried it and I really liked the results.
Because I'm using Retin-A I can't wax so this was a great alternative.

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
I have tweezed, waxed, electrolyzized my brows and 2 weeks ago for the first time I had them threaded by a middle eastern woman.It was awesome!!!!! It was only $13! I paid $35 to get them waxed at anastacia's salon in Nordstrom(they do a good job too).I LOVE threading...it seems to last a long time,gets rid of lots of hair like waxing and it didnt make me red, did not really hurt that much and it was very quick.She did an excellent job of shaping.I will go once a month from now on.
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
I thread my brows once a month. I love it! It's better than waxing or tweezing because it really gets out all the small little hairs.

Usually, its an Indian/Vietnamese lady that does it for me at the salon.
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
I have tweezed, waxed, electrolyzized my brows and 2 weeks ago for the first time I had them threaded by a middle eastern woman.It was awesome!!!!! It was only $13! I paid $35 to get them waxed at anastacia's salon in Nordstrom(they do a good job too).I LOVE threading...it seems to last a long time,gets rid of lots of hair like waxing and it didnt make me red, did not really hurt that much and it was very quick.She did an excellent job of shaping.I will go once a month from now on.

It does!! But I love it so much I do it every month. It makes my brows sooo neat, without cutting and stuff.
trigger
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:25 am      Reply with quote
Yay! Glad there's other believers. And yes, it's true that you shouldn't wax if you're a retin a or accutane user, but threading is perfectly safe, as no skin is removed. Of course a talented threader is important, so I recommend trying the lip or chin first before commiting the precious brows. The indian girl that did mine was so thorough and precise, that after having my lip done - trust me, FAR less painful than waxing, I didn't want her to stop. All the peach fuzz is removed, but not in fake looking panels, like waxing does. Threading kind of blends the removed hair so you don't get those bald patches with an edge of fuzz. Kind of 'staggers' it into the rest of your face. Very, very impressed. I recommend!

Also, you a far less prone to redness or irritation. The process is far more hygienic, so there's a significantly reduced chance of folliculitis. I was pink for about twenty minutes, and I'm a sensitive blonde haired blue-eyed type prone to showing redness and irritation. And it's true that the end of the cotton they hold between the teeth never goes near the skin. You can see it being done if you do a search for threading on youtube.
kdd2411
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:31 am      Reply with quote
I have heard of this and been meaning to try it out. My friend did and loved the results.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |