Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Conditioner Only hair cleansing question
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:49 am      Reply with quote
I'm taking the CO hair washing method for a test drive. If you use this method, please let me know what product - if any - you use when you use a curling or flat iron? Silicones are taboo when doing CO and most thermal protectors I know of contain them. Thanks!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:27 am      Reply with quote
I've been doing conditioner washing for around 9 months but I didn't know that using products containing silicones was a no no. I use Moroccan Oil post-washing (which does contain silicones). I thought the main point of CO was to avoid SLS. So, I can't comment on your dilemma other than to say I wouldn't worry about it - I certainly haven't had any issues with the 'cones.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Here also are a few threads with more co washing discussion and product recs:

Secrets of Beautiful Hair
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=30971&highlight=co+washing

conditioner only hair washing--what's the deal?
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=22603&highlight=co+washing

Enlightening article on skin problems and treatment
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=28833&highlight=conditioner+hair+washing

Wen Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner~RAVE~
(co washing line)
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=21376&highlight=conditioner+hair+washing

I liked the idea of co washing and tried Wen but had to stop as over time (third of the way through my second bottle) it was making my scalp itchy.
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu - After reading about CO cleansing all over the place, I concluded that the whole point of it was to avoid SLS and cones, two major offenders that contribute to dry hair ad scalp. That's not to say many Co-ers don't use silicone products at all, but they use a clarifying shampoo more often, some once a week, some once a month. Other CO purists can get away with shampooing twice a year, mainly because the conditioners they use have a pretty simple ingredient list. The practice of CO washing is definitely one that requires experimentation since everyone's hair type, styling routines, and local water supply differ. In my case, I think cones (and a lot of the chemicals that are now in hair products) have just fried my hair.

Havana - Thanks so much for the links...off to read them now...

Thanks for your replies! Smile
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
Here's all the info you'll need to get started:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/

I'm modified, so once a week I use a sulfate free shampoo (Giovanni Triple Tree Tea or Avalon Organics Lemon Clarifying). My hair just feels cleaner. All the leave ins that I use are CG, but my hair likes amodimethicone, one of the easier to rinse out 'cones, in product.

It's one loooooooong experiment Laughing

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
I tried to do CO a few times, but my hair just doesn't look as shiny when I use only conditioner...I guess I got use to wash it with shampoo every day(sometimes twice per day due to swimming and gym)and CO doesn't work for me. Another issue is it makes my blond hair darker.
You are right you should stay away from cones. I used Suave conditioner and VO5 they are cones free and very gentle.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
tsjmom - Thanks for that link...it led me to a blog that had a lot of info in one place.

After all the additional reading I've done, I still haven't found a mention of any -cone free protector for hot irons. I have wavy hair and it waves in all the wrong places so sometimes I use an iron if I'm pressed for time. I usually use big rollers but if I go out of town for a weekend, I hate to pack bulky rollers and take an iron instead. I'll have to keep searching and experimenting with products.

Thanks again everyone! I'm on a learning curve!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:39 am      Reply with quote
What about trying a different type of hair device - one that isn't a ceramic hair straightener. I think Vidal Sassoon has a gadget that straightens by using a roller and brush combined.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:36 am      Reply with quote
What is the CO method?
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:49 am      Reply with quote
CO - condition only. Wen makes a line of these designed for "shampooing". I use the fig and also Sweet Almond.

I also still use light silicone spray before using flat iron to protect... Oh well.

I still love the Wen products and use them probably every third washing.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:58 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
CO - condition only. Wen makes a line of these designed for "shampooing". I use the fig and also Sweet Almond.

I also still use light silicone spray before using flat iron to protect... Oh well.

I still love the Wen products and use them probably every third washing.

Thanks a lot for clearing that up! Pardon me if this is a silly question, but don't you need shampoo at least on your roots too wash away any buildup?
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Most conditioners contain surfactants that will cleanse, provided you gently scrub your scalp with the pads of your fingertips for a minute or two, and then rinse thoroughly. If you use a lot of products that contain silicones or film-forming agents, you need to use a clarifying product to remove the build-up.
mrscullen

Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:22 am      Reply with quote
I have been using WEN for a couple of months now and my hair has never looked better! I was in a real hurry yesterday and thought I could get away with "shampoo" and the minute I out it in my hair, my hair got all matted! I couldn't even get my fingers through it. So I rinsed it out and did a quick WEN and all was right with the world(and my hair) Laughing
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Does this mean one can't use "cheap" conditioners like Pantene? I know a lot of drugstore conditioners are full of silicones.. I tried CO washing for about 2 weeks several years ago, but I hated the "dirty" feeling I got, and I wonder if the 'cones were to blame... Think

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:20 am      Reply with quote
Actually, the cheap conditioners are usually the best ones for this method because they contain the least number of ingredients. It takes a bit of experimenting to find one that your hair type likes. One of the more popular is Suave Naturals Coconut but it was not for me. I haven't yet found the best one for my hair so I'm using a very gentle non-sulfate shampoo. Yep, cones are not good unless you clarify regularly, otherwise they build up.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
fat_swan wrote:
I tried CO washing for about 2 weeks several years ago, but I hated the "dirty" feeling I got, and I wonder if the 'cones were to blame... Think

They do say that it takes a little while for your hair to adjust to the CO washing so you might have to stick it out for a little longer. I would just look at the ingredients in the conditioner and if it's free from SLS I'd try it. I'm currently using Burt's Bees Pomegranate Conditioner and think it's wonderful.

I'm also using Moroccan Oil after washing. It does have silicones in it - but it does wonders for my poor bleached out hair so I can't give it up. I haven't had any problems with just CO washing and the 'cones though.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
fat_swan wrote:
... but I hated the "dirty" feeling I got, and I wonder if the 'cones were to blame... Think

One of things you need to do with CO washing is to spend more time massaging the scalp than what you'd probably do with a regular shampoo. It's the scrubbing (not with your nails) that helps dislodge the dirt and oils so they can ba rinsed away. The link that "tsjmom" posted has the scoop on this method.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:36 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |