Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Advice from Dr. Todorov on SmartSkincare?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:58 am      Reply with quote
Do any of you follow that forum?

I am new to it.

In a recent post, he indicated that C serums, used during the daytime, can be pro-oxidative and therefore, damaging to the skin, rather than antioxidative.

Is this news to everyone but me?

BF
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:58 am      Reply with quote
oops sorry - I meant this is news to me - am I the last to read this?

BF
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:34 am      Reply with quote
ive always used it in the morning because they say it gives added sun protection
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
HI Barefoot. Yeah news to me too. Could you post the link?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
I would appreciate the link also ... the information is contradictory to anything else I've ever heard or read.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
Melbourne Dermatology touched on this briefly. I read about the pro-oxidative effect of L-ascorbic acid a while ago, but I can't remember where I read it (not sure if it was a magazine or on line).

http://www.treatment-skincare.com/Antioxidants/Harm-to-Skin.html

ETA: Yet another one to read.

http://www.treatment-skincare.com/IS-Clinical/Aficionados/Oxidative-Damage/Theory-Disproven.html
RuthMarion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:59 am      Reply with quote
You know I was going to post a question on this very subject.
The doctor that I see for my skin also sells her own line on skincare products. ( They are quite good Smile ) She has always said to alternate nightly her vitamin c serum with my retin a micro prescription. I have learned so much from this forum that I must admit it has been hard to follow her directions Confused .

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:47 am      Reply with quote
I believe this was the post of the forum BFgirl was talking about.

http://www.smartskincare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5073
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:02 am      Reply with quote
Yes, that is the thread I was referring to.

Does anyone know what other skin experts and researchers have to say about this?

Thanks, BF
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
Barefoot girl, I know that there is NO sun sensitivity when using vitamin c during the day time. You must wear sunscreen daily though. I heard this info, from a Cellex C pitch recently. The info may very well be at the cellex c website too.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Thank you.

Realizing that ascorbic acid and some of its derivations are fragile - there might be some validity to this.

In the meantime, I am considering whether I should just mix my Vitamin C with my Retinoids at night - versus just using retinoids at night.

Will keep researching.

BF
LLucy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
BFgirl,
I follow the threads on smartskincare.com and read the two from Melbourn dermatology. Frankly, I'm starting to wonder how *good* topical Vit C really is. Especially since it can oxidized so fast, and there is a question as to whether it can oxidize WITHIN one's skin when exposed to sunlight.

Please continue to share your research if you will. Smile
Miss Tina
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, I have questioned this as well. I get Vit C shots and those go from a bottle that get's no light into it whatsoever, and the syringe can't be exposed to light at all otherwise it is weaker.

So I am thinking, if this is the case, it is useless to even try putting my serum of Vit C on my face and think that it is getting on there and doing that much work. I just stopped using my Vit C and just went to sunscreen.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:23 am      Reply with quote
I have done a lot of personal research on C serums and I am pretty much at a place now where the only water based serum I can trust is the one I make myself at home and apply immediately (one time use only). At this point, I may end up using that only at night or on days where I plan to be inside all day.

I have an oil based C serum on order that I plan to use with dermarolling or possibly an ultrasound machine.

It is tricky - it appears to be useful for the skin, but only under very specific conditions.

I can't help but think of all the $$ that are wasted on expensive, but useless, C serums.

BF
LLucy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:11 am      Reply with quote
What bothers me is that it may have a negative effect on elastin.

Also, since it can stay in the dermis for up to 72 hours, even if one applied it at night, wouldn't that mean one would be best off avoiding sun exposure for 3 days? Sunblock would surely help, but still...

One thing Dr. T mentioned was perhaps C serum shouldn't be used continuously, but only for a few weeks at a time. This rather goes against the prevalent beliefs on skin care forums. Also, the belief that it's good to use C serum in the morning because it ADDS to sun protection appears to be erroneous.

What to believe? What to believe? Confused
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:57 am      Reply with quote
Well, you could all just switch to CPs (LOL)

Actually, I've been a user of CPs for a while and they provide a SS w/ CPs in them. so applying them during the day is no pblm. I've actually had really good sun protection from their combo Suntanning Lotion and body lotion(for my body). I suffer from acne, so I don't use their lotions on my face.

Dr P of Skin Biology has mentioned studies that show the CPs out perform the Vit C (and Retin A) (A 70% improvement/increase in collagen vs a 40% in Retin A and 50% in Vit C- according to their studies)
http://www.skinbiology.com/skinremodeling.html

I do go along w/ the theory of too much exposure to antioxidants is not a good thing (like what a few of these links has mentioned). Dr H from 302 Skincare also believes that and prefers that we apply his actives only a couple of times per week.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:12 am      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
Well, you could all just switch to CPs (LOL)

Actually, I've been a user of CPs for a while and they provide a SS w/ CPs in them. so applying them during the day is no pblm. I've actually had really good sun protection from their combo Suntanning Lotion and body lotion(for my body). I suffer from acne, so I don't use their lotions on my face.

Dr P of Skin Biology has mentioned studies that show the CPs out perform the Vit C (and Retin A) (A 70% improvement/increase in collagen vs a 40% in Retin A and 50% in Vit C- according to their studies)
http://www.skinbiology.com/skinremodeling.html

AYE YI YI! I totally disagree!!!! (which is the beauty of this forum.) I've never heard of anyone getting the "uglies" from Vit C serums. I am very anti-CP's. They are the worst thing I've ever used on my skin. I think Dr P is full of C--P!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |