Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Obagi line and tretinoin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sr7628
5% products discount

Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
I'm just starting the Obagi NuDerm line. I have read that the system works best when the Blender is mixed with tretinoin. I currently don't have a prescription for tretinoin - is it critical to the success of the program, or can I go without?

Also, if the success of Obagi is based on the combination of hydroquinone and tretinoin, then what is the difference between Obagi and TriLuma? I have some TriLuma - I wonder if I can just use it in place of the Blender and treninoin?

Thanks for any help or advice...
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
sr7628 wrote:
I'm just starting the Obagi NuDerm line. I have read that the system works best when the Blender is mixed with tretinoin. I currently don't have a prescription for tretinoin - is it critical to the success of the program, or can I go without?

Also, if the success of Obagi is based on the combination of hydroquinone and tretinoin, then what is the difference between Obagi and TriLuma? I have some TriLuma - I wonder if I can just use it in place of the Blender and treninoin?

Thanks for any help or advice...

Tretinoin is an absolute must for the Nu Derm system. No point in doing Nu Derm if you don't have the Retin A.

You don't want to combine Triluma with Nu Derm. Use Nu Derm or the Triluma - not both at the same time.
sr7628
5% products discount

Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:10 am      Reply with quote
thanks for the response. so the NuDerm system won't do anything for me without the tretinoin? i guess i'll have to get my hands on some.

i was just wondering what the difference was between NuDerm and TriLuma if they both share the same active ingredients? i used TriLuma for several months and noticed very little effects, so i guess i shouldn't expect NuDerm to have a big impact either, since it has the same active ingredients.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:24 am      Reply with quote
sr7628 wrote:
thanks for the response. so the NuDerm system won't do anything for me without the tretinoin? i guess i'll have to get my hands on some.

i was just wondering what the difference was between NuDerm and TriLuma if they both share the same active ingredients? i used TriLuma for several months and noticed very little effects, so i guess i shouldn't expect NuDerm to have a big impact either, since it has the same active ingredients.

Nu Derm is a complete 18 week system that will change your skin. It uses Retin A, Hydroquinone and AHA. All of the products "build" on one another. Triluma is hydroquinone, tretinoin (don't know the %), and fluocinolone acetonide, which is a corticosteroid to reduce inflammation. I would suggest you do a board search here. There is a ton of information on Obagi, and a ton of threads to read through. Maybe you should do that before you make a decision?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Rileygirl,
Don't know for sure if you'll read this thread again, but I've got a question for you if you do! After completing the 18 weeks of Nuderm, do you think Triluma could be used for maintenance? Also, isn't it available by prescription only? Thanks so much!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:41 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hi Rileygirl,
Don't know for sure if you'll read this thread again, but I've got a question for you if you do! After completing the 18 weeks of Nuderm, do you think Triluma could be used for maintenance? Also, isn't it available by prescription only? Thanks so much!

Hi, Kims. Triluma is available by prescription only. You probably could get it on line at one of the places that sell Retin A, but I am not sure about that. Honestly, I would not use it for maintenance. I don't think long term use of a corticosteroid is healthy for ones skin. I think it even says it is for short term use (around 8 weeks?). Not sure on that one though. Don't forget for maintenance with Nu Derm, you want to use the least amount of HQ you can get away with and still keep the results. Meaning, you play with the amount of times you use the products per week, as well as the amount. You try to use just enough so you don't re-pigment. BTW, I think I read on another thread that you felt your skin wouldn't be "perfect" after the 18 weeks. If you feel like you need more, you can go another 6 weeks on Nu Derm (making it a total of 24 weeks). Some people do need that. If at that time (24 weeks) no more change has taken place, then that is as good as your skin is going to get as far as pigmentation issues on Nu Derm. Hope that helps!
sr7628
5% products discount

Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:50 am      Reply with quote
thanks for the reply! i had forgotten that triluma also uses the steroid. i do recall that they do not recommend using triluma for more than 8 weeks because of the steroid (which, i believe, can cause your skin to thin too much).

i have been using the nuderm line for almost a week now, but without the retin-a, and was curious because i had experienced no peeling or flaking yet. i guess that's why! i have ordered retin-a now, so we'll see how that works. overall, i feel even using the obagi clear twice a day along with the other products has already left my skin feeling softer and cleaner, and my melasma seems a little less obvious (though i can never tell if that's just wishful thinking on my part!).
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi Rileygirl,

Thank you and yes that information is very helpful! I do think that I'll be on the Nuderm program for the full 24 weeks before heading into maintenance. I would truly love to have that perfect, flawless complexion that so many rave about, but I think I am one tough case!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:25 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hi Rileygirl,

Thank you and yes that information is very helpful! I do think that I'll be on the Nuderm program for the full 24 weeks before heading into maintenance. I would truly love to have that perfect, flawless complexion that so many rave about, but I think I am one tough case!!

I thought that about myself, kims. I was so discouraged when I read/heard about everyone having these great results in 2-6 weeks. But, honestly stick with it. Your skin will be the best it can be after the 18-24 weeks. I think you will be very happy!
sr7628
5% products discount

Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:39 am      Reply with quote
hi again! i've been doing the nu-derm line for about 10 days now, though i didn't get the retin-A to mix in with the blender until maybe 3-4 days ago. i am still not experiencing any peeling or flaking. i had one morning (actually, before i started using the retin-A) where i had a little bit of peeling on my nose, but that is it.

any idea why i'm not peeling? have i just not given it enough time yet, or do some people tolerate the products better than others? or do i need to be using more product? i'm using a 1/2 gram of everything now.

morning: cleanser, toner, clear, exfoderm, sunfader

evening: cleanser, toner, clear, blender/retin-A

thanks for any feedback you have!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hi sr7628, I think everyone's skin reacts differently to the products. I think we all get different degrees of redness and peeling -- some more or less than others. What percent of Retin A did you get? Also, I was advised to use 1 gram of the clear both am and pm. Just using the Clear will often make me flaky on its own.

Are you experiencing any redness or tightening of the skin at all? These were all precursors to my skin peeling.

Give it a few more days...let us know how you're doing. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones who will get fabulous results without all the "uglies!" Smile

5% products discount

Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:52 am      Reply with quote
hi kims - thanks for getting back to me! i am using the .1% tretinoin, which i think is the highest one available. no redness or tightening of the skin as of yet. maybe i will try upping the amount of clear that i'm using. i do feel like my skin is a little brighter and my melasma looks a bit lighter as well (suprising - already!).

i just thought the cellular turnover was a big part of the system, and without the peeling and flaking, that i wouldn't get the same results. is it possible for obagi to work just as well without all the redness and flaking? if so, that would be awesome. i would definitely count myself as lucky if i don't have to go through that!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
Wow! I can't believe you're not peeling with using 0.1% retin a!! I've been at this for almost 14 weeks and just added the .1 and I'm back to being red and flaky! Have you used any type of retinol products in the past that would have acclimated your skin to the retin a ?

I think you can still achieve results without the "side effects" especially if you're seeing results this early on in the program.

5% products discount

Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
i used tri-luma for a couple of months, but stopped and it's been several months, so i don't think that would have done much to acclimate my skin. i actually did have a bit of flaking around my chin the day after my last post, and my skin does feel tighter today too, even though i haven't had flaking since. so i guess it is doing something! i'll just give it some more time. thanks for your feedback!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hold on!! You sound like you may be in for the full Obagi Ride!! Laughing

5% products discount

Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:25 am      Reply with quote
Haha...indeed! I have had some flaking almost every day since then, though it's mostly limited to my chin, and the sides of my face near my hairline. I've also noticed a lot of dryness and cracking skin just above my lip, and that has been driving me crazy. feels like i have permanently chapped lips! i guess maybe i've gotten the products too close to my mouth when applicating. i'm definitely going to try to avoid that going forward.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:08 am      Reply with quote
I've gotten that permanent chapped lip thing a time or two as well! I use a little bit of Aquaphor and it really helps.

It sounds like you're on your way! Stay in touch!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |