Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skincare Sales Assistants
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:03 am      Reply with quote
Do you tend to believe the advice/info that sales assistants give you at beauty counters in department stores?
I know that they are trying to sell you stuff but I am finding that some of them don't seem to understand the products properly that they are trying to sell to you.
Recently I have experienced a Decleor sales assistant telling me that my Aromessence oils should be applied all over my face and I should make sure that I use enough of the oil to cover it. However, other Decleor assistants and internet research states that you only need 2-3 drops applied to your face and it doesn't matter if you don't cover the entire area as the product works from beneath the skin surface. If I had taken that sales assistant's advice I would be using a LOT of the product very quickly. Still, that was probably what she wanted so that I would have to go back and purchase some more! Mad
Yesterday, I was seeking advice from a Clarins assistant who told me that I couldn't rinse their milk cleanser off with water. She said that it definitley should not be used with water and should only be removed with tissue or cotton wool. Not true. I checked with other Clarins assistants (in other stores) and they all said that rinsing off with water is perfectly ok.
The same Clarins assistant also tried to spin me some rubbish about the level of moisturisation within a certain product. I'm not sure if this system applies in countries outside the UK but here they have introduced a little logo that appears on the back of some skincare products. It's a little jar with the lid open and on the jar it will say something like 12m or 18m. Now this has been introduced to indicate the shelf life of the product once it is opened. This Clarins assistant yesterday told me that the symbol was there to indicate the level of moisturisation within the product. The 12m indicated that the product contained (and I quote) 'a level 12 for moisturisation'. She'd invented a whole new scale for grading moisturising products! Brick wall
I should have corrected her about the meaning of the jar symbol but I was so amused by it I was finding it hard to keep a straight face and so decided to keep quiet. Smile
Do these sales assistants get trained properly or can anyone walk into the job?
Some of them are just spouting a lot of rubbish. It's actually quite bad that some of them are misinforming customers. The amount of money that they charge for some products you would expect to be receiving the correct advice on how to use them.

Anyway, rant over. Sorry about that, just wanted to get it off my chest. Very Happy
Anybody else had useless advice from a skincare sales assistant?
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:58 am      Reply with quote
Yes I have had really naff advice. I am not sure if most of them are on commission as well as a basic wage. The goal seems to be flog as much as you can. Most of them dont seem to have a clue about the products. Ihave been sold foundation that was totally wrong for me.
Have you also noticed that most of them wear the complete range of foundation etc and tend to look like Bobo the clown.
Now I have found Eds I am armed and dangerous and know exactly what I am looking for in skincare.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:37 am      Reply with quote
I love 'out knowing' SAs...most of 'em are the spawn of satan I'm sure Bad Grin I never believe ANYTHING any of them tell me....came accross one in Dingles on the guerlain counter this summer who hadn't even HEARD of skinceuticles, I mean WTH!!!!!! Shock

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
I went to a very well know store and explained to the sales girl that I had very sensitive skin and I was looking for a cream for under the eyes and for my face , she went on and on about there product and 155.00 later I was sold convinced I bought something great anyway 2 days later after using these 2 creams I looked like the criptkeeper Shock needless to say I have found the advice from all you girls so helpful!!!!! It was 2 products from Lancome...The girl diddnt listen to what I told her she just wanted a sale...
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
I'm kinda surprised. I figured that the sales assistants got some kind of big training class from the various companies before working. You'd think that would be how it works. Confused

I would guess that you'll get a greater number who haven't been trained right here close to the holidays. Rolling Eyes My guess is they all have to put extra people on for the holiday sales, however, if they are not giving them complete training before they allow them to work, it could happen at anytime.

Too bad. Sad

JUDY

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
In canada most of the people working at the counters are make-up artists and they get very little training on skincare. My friend did the artistry course and still buys/recommends crap products to our friends. I always rave decleor and yonka and she's always going on about clinique Rolling Eyes

I think they do get product knowledge nights, but they usually include pizza and beer so they probably are too drunk to remember anything.

I went to one store and told them absolutely NO SALICLYIC acid....and I get out to my car and the product she sold me had the junk in it. I returned it ASAP and complained to the manager.
Miss Shoes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:09 pm      Reply with quote
Well,

I feel that if a sales clerk is representing just one line, they are VERY biased, and come on, they are being payed to sell the products so of course they are goping to tell you everything you want to hear.

If the clerk is in a spa/store that carries multiple lines, I would be more likely to follow their advice.
Fairlyfair
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
Lianne - what's wrong with salicyic acid? Is it just how your skin reacts to it? I'm curious because I have been using it on spot acne.

As far as make-up counter ladies go. I remember my horrendous experience with the Prescriptives counter. I had a custom powder blend made for the first time. It all looked okay in their mirror, but when I looked at myself in the car mirror I was horrified - I looked like I had a layer of red on! I went back the next week - and another rep said huh? looking at my index card recorded - she marked you as red tones, and you are yellow toned!! I would think they out of all ppl would have some kind of color blend training - supposedly they do because I have been told numerous times when I want a custom blend done, that the person that is trained to do that is not in.
SKiser
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:48 am      Reply with quote
Personally I think that department stores sales clerks are "made" to say anything to push their products. From what I've heard it's all about commission. This board has saved me a lot of money and improved my skin tremendously. Very Happy

Quote:
If the clerk is in a spa/store that carries multiple lines, I would be more likely to follow their advice.
ITA
RuthMarion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:43 am      Reply with quote
I agree with all of the above! Thank goodness for EDS because we can hopefully make more educated decisions. There was an Eaton's store (I think in the Eaton Centre in TO) that had staff working in a large section of the cosmetics area & this section had every cosmetic product that the store sold. It's gone now Sad but I used to like that area. Also I wonder about the Sephora staff. They must need to know the different products but as with everything it seems these days you need to ask the right question to the right person on the right day! They don't always listen (refer to pet peeves post Neutral )
Some people love their jobs & others just put in time.
whoa..that sounded rough...sorry to all of you good SA's (like Jin at YSL in Holt's Bloor) Smile
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:22 am      Reply with quote
I don't often go to the regular counters now I have here! Very Happy when a new product comes out I often go and read the ingredients that's when they come over and see if I need any help, most often NO! but you almost feel like a shoplifter for taking an interest about that is in the product they're trying to sell. They may have training about the brand or been on a beauty course - of which the quality varies - So I don't know why I expect them to know more about the products/skincare than I do? Maybe it's the uniform giving them a false sense of authority. Embarassed
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
Fairlyfair,

My skin is just super reactive to salicylic acid. I peel and turn red..and then I break out even more!! Lots of people have great results from it. I did BEFORE the trip to the dermatologist...after the trip to him I can't put much of anything on my zits without a bad reaction.

As for sephora, the one I went to at the paris/aladdin in Vegas gave horrible service. I got ignored and when I went to ask if a product contained something they said i don't know and walked away.
SKiser
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
My skin is just super reactive to salicylic acid. I peel and turn red..and then I break out even more!! Lots of people have great results from it. I did BEFORE the trip to the dermatologist...after the trip to him I can't put much of anything on my zits without a bad reaction.
Shock YIKES!! Sounds like my experience after I had some allergy tests done. Don't cha just love science! At least we have this forum to save our selves and our lovely skin. Smooches for everybody
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:13 am      Reply with quote
[quote="SKiser:shock: YIKES!! Sounds like my experience after I had some allergy tests done. Don't cha just love science! At least we have this forum to save our selves and our lovely skin. Smooches for everybody [/quote]

What type of allergy tests caused this with you? Were they the standard type where they prick places on your back?

I ask because I'm considering having some allergy testing done and I don't want it to cause some other prodblem if I can help it.

JUDY

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:31 am      Reply with quote
This is an interesting topic... Laughing
I'll only visit counter if i know what i'm going to buy from them. In the past when I visit those counter most of them would just recommended you rubbish that not suit your skin type or overpriced products and wasted a lot of money. Rolling Eyes The worst thing is those ladies will give you an "attitude" if you do not wanna buy anything from them or simply ask them for a sample before you buy. Mad
With the internet I can buy things I want without stepping out from my house... hehehe. And I think EDS provide a very good service Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:42 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |