Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

bio-identical hormones
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:53 am      Reply with quote
I use a cream(doc script) and it is just as important for me as the estroil. It promotes a sense of well being, and real stable feeling. I know it is good for bone strength,muscles,etc. Also good for libido...the list goes on and on!
When I started BHRT I started one hormone at a time. I first started with progesterone(didn't help very much), then estroil(wonderful help), and last but not least testosterone(great help too)!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
I use a cream(doc script) and it is just as important for me as the estroil. It promotes a sense of well being, and real stable feeling. I know it is good for bone strength,muscles,etc. Also good for libido...the list goes on and on!
When I started BHRT I started one hormone at a time. I first started with progesterone(didn't help very much), then estroil(wonderful help), and last but not least testosterone(great help too)!

Is the estroil and the testosterone you are taking in pill form or creams?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:52 am      Reply with quote
Everything I am using is cream and has been tweaked at different points. I started with more in the beginning and now I am using less.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Umm - where does the cream go? (Or need I ask) Me thinks in only one spot, but not sure, of course. And if in that one spot - how in the world does it affect our well being, our mind set, bones and sleep, etc..

I can see it affecting our libido, though. Dancing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:56 am      Reply with quote
Laughing Nope,the creams are applied on the fatty parts of the body...like thighs or stomach. I think the reasoning for fatty parts is for slow absorption. Estroil never on the breast. Also creams are not used on the same place on the time....important to rotate. In addition, I put one cream one one thigh and another on the other thigh....so as not to mix them together. You are very small amount of cream.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:34 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
Laughing Nope,the creams are applied on the fatty parts of the body...like thighs or stomach. I think the reasoning for fatty parts is for slow absorption. Estroil never on the breast. Also creams are not used on the same place on the time....important to rotate. In addition, I put one cream one one thigh and another on the other thigh....so as not to mix them together. You are very small amount of cream.

That's easy enough to do. I just may get on line or call around to see if there are any doctors that believe in this threatment. I will begin with my Dr.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting article on Estradiol as an anti-oxidant ... http://www.into-the-heart.com/2010/06/estrogen-a-natural-antioxidant.html

Am loving this thread, have learnt so much, thank you! Image
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
I used a pump of biest cream last night and also took my regular bcp; today I feel like I've been hit by a truck. Shock I went to sleep kind of latish, after midnight, but gosh, I expected to feel better. I tried to counter it a little with progesterone but that didn't help much. I do not plan to discontinue the biest, but maybe the pill... haven't decided.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
Why are you using biest? Be careful or you might get pregnant if it throws your hormones off balance.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:38 am      Reply with quote
Recommendation to top off pill from another board....logic is that the chemical estrogen not getting to all the receptors. I have dry eyes, crawly & itchy skin, general fatigue & malaise even on the pill. My estrogen requirement to be normal is pretty high; I read in Uzzi Reiss' books that it's due to being short & small bones with breast tissue. In any case, I've felt better this week with more energy than I've had in a while.
SoftSkin wrote:
Why are you using biest? Be careful or you might get pregnant if it throws your hormones off balance.
Gidget
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
WOW - Shock I've read through this entire thread - not all the articles of course but enough to want to share and ask a question or two.

I'll be 53 this year. I had two children - nursed them both 2 1/2 years each - no issues with pregnancies (in fact, I felt better pg than any other time in my life - once I got past first trimesters)

Was on BCP for years due to some issues with regularity and ovulation pain. When I got off BCP I was shocked at how much better my orgasms were - it was like everything was muffled while on BCP. I was happy to get off but felt very strange for a while as I guess the BCP had overridden my own hormones for quite some time.

A few years back I started having perimenopause and for first time in my life I had sleep issues. I tried OTC progesterone cream and voila - I was fine.

Fast forward a few more years and I stopped my cycles at age 50 - last year I started having such hot flashes and night sweats, insomnia that I thought I would die, get divorced or go insane.

My stats are such that I am a very active woman - swim, bike, run, walk, weights - but nothing to the extreme (1/2 hour to 1 hour exercise a day) I am at proper weight (very petite) and my diet is excellent. SO WHY ME?? I don't drink - alcoholism runs in my family - I don't smoke or use caffeine (except the occasional cup of tea or coffee) So what I am saying is that I try to do everything right and yet I am still plagued - while I have friends who eat crap, smoke, drink and never had a hormonal issue with menopause.

So question: I am using some very weak OTC creams and they have helped but my dh and I were wondering. IF I were to use anything stronger will I eventually have to go alllll through this again once I stop using?

IF I decide to just wait it out will the symptoms just finally up and go away?

WHO on this thread has gone through menopause WITH symptoms and just waited it out and finally got through it? I'd love to hear from them and from anyone who can chime in regarding my situation.

I'd be grateful to hear.

Thanks
Gidget
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
I wish more women wouldn't take bioidentical hormones because then they'd turn into such horrible bitches that their husbands would leave and I'd get to date the husbands! Bad Grin
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
This thread is awesome - so informative, interesting, encouraging... wow.

I'm 48 and I believe I'm post menopausal. At least that's what the latest blood test show. I started in 2004....hot flashes and mood were the worst of it...plus - where on EARTH did this THICK MIDDLE come from? Outta nowhere!! That's a bummer.

I had my bone scan and my right hip showed osteoperosis while the rest of the scan showed borderline osteopena - I will not be taking any pharma stuff, so I'm just supplementing with a New Chapter bone complex and upping my strength training.

I have never been able to take birth control – I tried a bunch and they all made me moody, agitated, loss of libido, headachy…so I stopped. My husband and I have been birth control-free for all of our 20 years (and five years before that) marriage. I have 36 children. Ha Ha. No…. we actually were careful about play time and managed to dodge the “oops” bullet except for when we wanted a child – my now 18 year old daughter.

When I went into peri in 2004, my periods were irregular, the hot flashes started, and I got horrible melasma all over my face. Never had it while pregnant or any other time in my life… I’ve noticed that since my menopause is in the post stages the melasma is fading somewhat…I truly think that melasma happens when the hormones go whacky – you can treat your face with whatever you want, but until you solve whats going on inside, it’s going to stick with you – that’s why I’ve never been a fan of Obaji, Triluma, etc - I think sometimes they do more harm than good – though I will say in the beginning I tried EVERYTHING to get rid of my melasma including both of those products and Cosmelan and thousands of dollars of other products. The past several years I’ve done nothing and my skin looks better than it has in a long time.

With menopause my sex drive went down the crapper – though the hot flashes are gone, I am ummm…bone dry where I don’t want to be – this was never an issue for me pre menopause. We make do with lubricants – but that’s quite a bummer for us. I wanted to get some of that back, so I went to my doctor and I finally went on bio’s – TriEst I believe. BUT, no matter what the dose….(cream) I got that edgy, headachey, bite your head off, anxious feeling…. We tried adjusting the dose – but nothing helped…so I went off. I feel so much better without it. Maybe I’m just not meant to have hormones?

I take a daily New Chapter Woman over 40 vitamin, fish oil, vit D, the bone complex, and, my elixir of youth – Barlean’s Essential Woman. I swear this has helped so much with my skin… and my boobs actually. I am not kidding – I think the Barlean’s is keeping them somewhat perky… I feel like the crows feet around my eyes are lessened and my skin is soft… so I’ll stick with this routine.

My hair has def. thinned a bit – also a bummer – and I do get aches and pains – but I just didn’t fare well with the TriEst – I’d love to get the sex drive back…it’s non existent and I feel terribly about that. I also have to force myself to go to the gym….I’d rather just relax on the couch…so in my perfect world I’d have my sex drive back, more energy – but calm energy – not anxiety energy – no more bone and hair loss.

Other than that, I think I’m on the other side of menopause… These past seven years have been challenging – but I think just letting nature take its course was the best route for me.

Maria Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
Mariav,
I could never take birth control pills....made me feel moody too. I have been fortunate with BHRT..... biest works great for the hot flashes, and testosterone works well for the sex drive. Biest alone didn't really help the sex drive too much and oh I almost forgot...using progesterone as well. I have had to adjust the levels but all seem to be working.

I truly do hope you can find something to help with the sex drive, that can be so frustrating.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
When I meet a man I want to sleep with, I'll take testosterone. Until then, why torture myself with a high sex drive? Unfortunately, most middle aged men don't have any testosterone either. Bad Grin
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:55 am      Reply with quote
Softskin ~ you crack me up! But, besides sex drive (which it didn't really do much for me), I have found testosterone has been extremely important for muscle building and retention, strength, agililty, hand-eye coordination and emotional security... As for sex drive, for me personally, I believe progesterone is more effective ~ just how it effects me. But don't underestimate the powers of testosterone even in small doses. I was an emotional wreck this past fall because I had stopped taking mine because I didn't think it was doing that much for me ...I soon found out what I was missing. Wink Aprile
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:21 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Aprile on the benefits of testosterone. I felt real balanced and focused after I started on it.I actually used biest and progesterone for a while before deciding to add testosterone. I am glad I did it that way because I could evaluate each thing I was using. Wink

And Softskin this has to be one of the funniest comments I have seen in a while....I just love it! Laughing
SoftSkin wrote:
I wish more women wouldn't take bioidentical hormones because then they'd turn into such horrible bitches that their husbands would leave and I'd get to date the husbands! Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:56 am      Reply with quote
I'm 53 and I haven't had any real menopausal symptoms yet - except I'm fighting harder to keep the body in check. I'm finding fat where it never was before. I don't like it. Confused
I wonder if it would be a good idea for me to get going on the BH therapy now - get the testing etc. before things go really crazy?

Oh and softskin - I think there are a lot of middle age men with testosterone - unfortunately it comes with other baggage. Laughing My students call "those kind" ... THE CREEPERS.. They hang out in bars that the kids go to and leer at the young girs. Ick.
(Or maybe they think by going there the testosterone will perk up Laughing )

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 02, 2011 4:13 am      Reply with quote
sorry if this is too personal but out of curiosity does anyone know which cream,estriol, progesterone or testosterone or anything else..would be best to apply topically to help with tissue atrophy (i.e. labia)? I'm too young to start on hormones,my tests show I'm all balanced and no other issues just cosmetic..want something to 'plump' things up!! Laughing

Female CANADA 49 Brunette,Fair/normal skin- Gadgets: Derminator, AALS. Skin care: DIY Vit C serum, Osmotics Copper Prime 5, Valmont Renewing Pack, Skinceuticals Retinol, Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream. Internal: Tons of supplements ;o and some much needed bioidentical hormones
HippoMe
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 02, 2011 6:32 am      Reply with quote
Hi Pollyanna

Pop over to the Menopausematters.co.uk site. They have some wonderful info on vaginal atrophy. VA affects women of all age-groups. Here are three threads to start you off. I recommend Estrace (estriol) cream rubbed into the outer labia for plumpness!

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,140.0.html

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,10087.0.html

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5998.0.html
HippoMe
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 02, 2011 6:43 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
I agree with Aprile on the benefits of testosterone. I felt real balanced and focused after I started on it.

Toby, what Testosterone cream/gel are you using and how much, how often? And how do you balance/work-out the amount you need, by symptom or via serum testing?
Pollyanna
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 02, 2011 10:16 am      Reply with quote
HippoMe wrote:
Hi Pollyanna

Pop over to the Menopausematters.co.uk site. They have some wonderful info on vaginal atrophy. VA affects women of all age-groups. Here are three threads to start you off. I recommend Estrace (estriol) cream rubbed into the outer labia for plumpness!

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,140.0.html

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,10087.0.html

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5998.0.html

thanks so much HippoMe-very kind of you -that's a great informative site!
I guess the thing with me is after reading through those threads is I don't really have all the other issues like itchiness or burning or pain or dryness so it's tough to know what to mess with.I just have deflation and lack of elasticity! I realize estrogen is the key thing to thicken and plump the skin I just wonder if it's too much for me at this stage and may cause unnecessary side effects that can occur with some of those creams which I'd rather not deal with..:/ I currently do the vit e and a comfrey ointment that has almond oil and coconut oil in it.
It's funny you kind of wonder if all the stuff you do on your face and body for thickening and plumping skin could be applied there like copper peptides retin A or DMAE! Laughing probably best not to try! I even considered the small Vaculifter! Neutral

also am I coorect in that Estrace is based on Estradiol not Estriol which I prefer. i think Estradiol might be too strong for me..

Female CANADA 49 Brunette,Fair/normal skin- Gadgets: Derminator, AALS. Skin care: DIY Vit C serum, Osmotics Copper Prime 5, Valmont Renewing Pack, Skinceuticals Retinol, Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream. Internal: Tons of supplements ;o and some much needed bioidentical hormones
Bermie2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Can someone suggest a good progesterone cream please? I am in Australia so need to purchase online, I am finding it very difficult to locate?

I have read the first few pages of this thread and will be back to read the rest, but need to sleep!! (damned insomnia)

I ordered an Estriol and Progesterone cream form Biovea, I got the Estriol straight away but nearly 4 weeks later no sight of the progesterone. I didn't realise it is so hard to get!

any good suggestions would be appreciated.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
I buy ProGest cream at Whole Foods.

I just saw my gyno and she did blood tests. I told her I'd been feeling a bit tired and she tested my testosterone level and said it was very low so prescribed a bioidentical cream. I was worried about the expense so called the pharmacy and it's $55. I am supposed to use two clicks at night. It's 1mg per gram. I haven't ordered it yet but it sounds like a cream that comes in a tube like concealer, where you turn the bottom and very small amounts come out. I shall see what happens. It should be easy enough to tell if it's too strong for me -- oilier skin, acne, bad temper, strong sex drive. I am hoping I only need one click so the tube lasts longer.
havana8

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
moving these helpful posts into the discussion

sister sweets wrote:
Did you get your creams from your naturopath or physician or are they OTC?

JenJ wrote:
Sister,

I have my bio-identical creams compounded (prescription)by the Women's International Pharmacy. I had been using Natural Progesterone for about 10 years for PMS symptoms and it worked beautifully. Fast forward ten years later....I had been researching bio-identical therapy for years and knew this was the route I was going to be taking so I started looking for a doctor who was going to support my request and found a wonderful D.O. (actually switched health plans). She's pretty progressive and supports a holistic approach to health and optimal aging.

I woke up one night late last year with a mild hotflash and thought..."I'm almost 49 and it's beginning" I scheduled appts for both my husband and me and had blood tests done. Our D.O. isn't a bio-identical hormone specialist but told me if I found someone she would authorize the blood work and prescriptions. The pharmacists at Women's Internation Pharmacy are specialists and will review blood/saliva test results and offer recommendations, so I shared those with my doctor and she wrote the prescriptions for the compounded creams. I use a low dose Bi-Est cream, Testosterone cream, and Natural Progesterone cream (higher dose than the otc cream I had been using). Never had another hot flash, sleep great, and have high energy.

There are bio-identical hormone products that can be purchased otc by Radiant labs, called Natural Radiance. Several of my friends use them and are very pleased. I cam going to order their estriol cream and natural progesterone to use on my face so I don't have to use my compounded creams.

Several months ago, I started a little experiment of just using a tiny amount of my Bi-Est cream and Natural Progesterone cream as my night time treatment and my skin has never looked better . I worked as a makeup artist in my 20s-30s so I've always been very diligent with my skincare. I was thinking last month that most of us in our 20s-30s have pretty flawless skin for the most part and a huge reason for that is due to our optimal hormone levels. So...why not replace what is diminishing? We have hormone receptors all over, including the face & throat.

I've read online that Natural Progesterone USP is one of the best wrinkle eradicators. I don't have wrinkles so I can't speak to that, but I can say that my skin is so hydrated and it stays hydrated. My skin has an even tone, glow and freshness. I really believe it's the combination of the topically applied Natural Progesterone and Estrogen.

I'd love to find out if there are others who are doing this and if they are experiencing the same results.

ClaudiaFE wrote:
Hey Jen,

If you have any good links for research, for those of us coming up behind you that would be AWESOME!

JenJ wrote:
Glad you asked, Claudia!

Women's International Pharmacy (WIP) has a wonderful website...their Connections Newsletter can be found under the Bioidentical Hormone Therapy area...I've always received outstanding service and they mail the prescriptions out quickly! They are also on Facebook.

http://www.womensinternational.com/

Claudia...I believe we live within a county or two of each other...if you're ever looking for an outstanding doctor, I highly recommend Naomi McAuliffe in Santa Rosa. She's fantastic! She's in her mid 30s and is just wonderful...half of my office now go to her and several of the guys here have started using testoterone therapy since several of them are in their 50s. They have each said it's made a difference in their energy levels.

Another link I highly recommend is Dr. Hotze...excellent podcast interviews in the Resource library section...I especially like the one with Dr. Hotez & Dr. Erika Schwartz talking about bio-identical hormones. There are a couple of great podcasts on bio-identical supplementation for men.

http://www.drhotze.com/

While all the hormones are important, natural progesterone is critical for both men and women (men only need 10mg-12mg/5 days a week). NP is safe for teens who have PMS and it's a hormone that should be used life-long....read the Connections Newsletter on NP on the WIP website, it goes into detail why. NP is cycled, meaning it's not used daily.

JenJ wrote:
I wonder if it's worth starting a new topic on Bio-idenicals and moving that last couple of posts??

I forgot to mention that WIP does not charge a fee for reviewing blood tests for hormone supplementation/replacement, which was very impressive as I've spent hundreds of dollars consulting with local bio-identical specialists. One of whom was a pharmacist who has since moved out of state. They also have the best prices that I've found anywhere for the bio-identical creams...I paid more than double at my local compounding pharmacy.

I mentioned the products made by Radiant Labs...Natural Radiance. I trust these products and my Mom has been using the Testosterone for Women as well as their Progesterone cream. She's 70 and the Testosterone for Women had definitely helped with her energy level and motivation. Her health plan is with Kaiser and unfortunately they don't support this kind of supplementation. Several of my girlfriends, who have Kaiser were offered products like PremPro, which has progestin (synthetic - NOT real progesterone) and have opted for using the Natural Radiance products.

http://www.naturallybetter.net/1naturalradiance.html

Dr. Erika Schwartz has a good website. She and her doctors and Nurse Practioner will do phone consultations (she's in New York). I spoke with her office manager recently and he told me that they email a lab authorization (covered by most insurances) and once the results are in,the consult is arranged. The consult fee ranges from $300 - $750 depending who you do the cosultation with. I contacted her office after listening to her on a couple of the podcasts on the Dr. Hotze site....really want my daughter-in-law to see her.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:16 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |