Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What do you think of Bare Escentuals?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
secretly
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:20 am      Reply with quote
I was sick of Lancome lipstick because it never stays on and frankly was irritating my lips. So I bought 4 tubes of Bare Escentuals that is all natural and I'm so impressed with it, they use beeswax and other natural ingredients. It's really the best lipstick I've ever used.

I've been using Clinique foundation but after my skin heals from my peel I was thinking about getting the Bare Escentuals mineral makeup. Any experiences out there? I try not to use products with chemicals and my skin is very sensitive.

They also gave me a sample mascara that's really great, and they give you a punch card so you get 10$ off when you reach a certain point.
doohicus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:45 am      Reply with quote
I use the mineral powder off and on. I find if I use everyday I break out with tiny bumps. I think the Bismuth causes the breakouts. I do love the light texture and the spf factor. I had to toss the blush "Glee" I would turn bright red about an hour after application. People would come up and ask if I was O.K. Mineral veil is nice. I love the Buxom Lips. The coverage for the mineral powder is light. I use another product for evening. I think there are many other reviews on this forum. Maybe try the search or library?
havana8

Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
Here's one of the review threads:

bare escentuals make up
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5599
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
The lipstick and gloss are the only BE that I like. I really dont like the foundation.
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
I like their gloss and mascara, but could not tolerate the mineral makeup. Made me itchy the minute the brush touched my skin! It looks nice, though.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:41 am      Reply with quote
Although this may work for others, I found that the foundation made me look older and my pours bigger. With a primer, the pores were hidden, but I still looked older than without wearing any foundation. This was not the look that I was going for. I'm sure the glosses are fine however, and would like to try based upon your review.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:49 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the great review and all the comments. Whenever I hear that anything is irritating, or itchy or makes you break out I won't even try it. I have really sensitive skin, but I do love the lipstick and mascara so at least that's a good find. Right now I'm using Clinique foundation and blush so I'll stick with that.
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
The new Matte version of BE is alot better than the original on my skin. The original version of BE accentuates large pores if you have them and it also accentuates fine lines. On my skin it also gave me a tin man looking glow to it which I hated. The new matte version is much more natural looking. The new matte version just came out this month.

My favorite mineral makeup is made by a company called Purely Cosmetics. They have fabulous foundations that don't contain Bismuth Oxychloride like the original BE does. Bismuth Oxychloride is a filler used in many mineral makeup lines like BE. Many people are sensitive to it. It can cause itching, redness and swelling in some people who are sensitive to it. Many mineral lines are now formulating their minerals without Bismuth Oxychloride.

My mineral faves would be

1) Purely Cosmetics Regular or Skin Smoothing Mineral Foundation

2) Lumiere Mineral Makeup in the Veena Velvet formulation

3) Everyday Minerals in the Intensive or Semi Matte versions

None of these mineral lines contain Bismuth in them.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:48 am      Reply with quote
I just had some interest on this brand so I'd like to see more input on it.
kdd2411
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:26 am      Reply with quote
I personally LOVE their mineral veil and am never without it. Living in FL and having combo skin it is a must to combat oil.
dionnac1
5% products discount

Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
I also live in FL--Orlando. Cool I like their foundations, especially if I'm in a hurry and don't really have an option for putting on my normal makeup routine. I also use their foundation as powder to set my liquid foundation (Dior) because I like the coverage. If you're looking for a really seamless look, maybe for going out to dinner or something, this really covers everything up. But, you have to be careful about not applying too much of the Bare Escentuals foundation or it can look really obvious.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
I think BE carries some great eye shadows for people 40+ who want some color and glamour, but need for it to be muted and complex.

BF
Tallisa
5% products discount

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
My boyfriends sister uses the powder foundation, and it must be good because she's been through about 5 of them!

But whenever I use mineral powders I find its cakey, so maybe its the moisturizer I'm using?

I'm curious to see what moisturizer people on the forum who love bare Escentuals are using.
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:51 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Barefootgirl. The eyeshadows are great there are so many colors to choose from and they have a great selection of neutral colors that can be worn during the day. I am 45 and wear their Chenille and Blush colors, which are very natural looking.

I used to use BE's foundation powder about 6 years ago, and didn't like it. It seems to settle in any creases or wrinkles and made them more pronounced and made me look more aged. So, I stick with liquid foundation (for my older skin).

BE's Buxom line of Lip Gloss (plumper) I just love. The colors are very nice, especially Dani and Dolly.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:19 am      Reply with quote
I used to really dislike this product because I found there was way too much "glitter" for mature skin. However, they now have a matte version, and after trying a sample I thought it was very good.
Good coverage, but feels light on your skin, and looks very natural
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:16 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I think BE carries some great eye shadows for people 40+ who want some color and glamour, but need for it to be muted and complex.

BF

I think their eyeshadows do not have enough shades.
I sometimes like colourful eye makeup...and I'm 33 Smile

for their foundation it was ok,but did not like it enough to buy.

sampled their blemish powder..glad I did not buy that..did not really work.
My $12 blemish powder works way better (mario badescu and their containers are huge).

For mineral foundation I like Abbey St Clare-
I am a medium beige in Bare Essentuals and that is shade 3.0 at Abbey St clare.

I also really like the Abbey St Clare blushes.
their eyeshadows are also really nice.
they do not use bismuth in anything.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
MystyPines wrote:

BE's Buxom line of Lip Gloss (plumper) I just love. The colors are very nice, especially Dani and Dolly.

I tried BE's Buxom lips in the store and my lips have been on fire for an hour! Sad I agree, the colors are nice, but I just cannot tolerate when my lips are burning.
zhoushuhappy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:31 am      Reply with quote
I really dont like the foundation.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
There is many many other mineral makeup companies that have better formulas and are more reasonable pricing. (Better formulas = no bismuth) The smaller companies usually have better customer service and don't have a lot of overhead (advertising, etc.)

BE started the trend. Excellent marketing.

I have tried at least a dozen mineral makeup commpanies.

I like Lumiere, Beautiful Girl, Lucy, Jenelence and Joppa for foundations. These are all slightly different formulas.

Silk Naturals has a mix your own patented formula. I am lazy so I never got the mix your own to work. I do like a lot of her eye shadows, finishing glows and powders, blushes, some skin care.

If you read other mineral forums you will find there is A LOT of great companies out there.

mineral makeup mania on delphi
http://forums.delphiforums.com/mineralmania/start

http://www.87px.net/mmf/viewforum.php?f=14

mineral makeup forum
(a lot of former Everyday mineral users visit this one.)

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
I ordered a couple of Jane Iredale lipsticks, here's the ingredients--BE doesn't have enough colors IMO.

Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) 8.5%. Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Isopropyl Jojobate, Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Jojoba Esters, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Beeswax, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract, Vanillin, Borago Officinalis Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Bisabolol. May Contain: Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Carmine (CI 75470), Red 30 Lake (CI 73360), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850)(Aka 202).

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
i just ordered a bunch of BE natural lipcolor, as I fell in love with their natural gloss.

hope it's all I hoped for!
tlc0471
5% products discount

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
Big fan of Buxom lipgloss and mascara. Love the way to lipgloss feels. Some aren't a fan of the tingle factor though. Personally I like it, and feel it works to help plump my lips.
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
I'm currently using their Illuminating Mineral Veil, and I don't think it suits my skin. I have really rough texture, with acne scars and it just gets in the crevices and becomes really obvious. It's shame because it's a nice product, especially for the price. The composition is nice. I like that it's not too shimmery.
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
The Bismuth in BE always dried my skin out and made it irritated. There are better brands of minerals out there though, it's just a matter of finding the right one for you.

That said, I cant apply minerals very well in powder form - they just seem to accentuate everything I'm trying to conceal - so I mix mine with some oil and make my own liquid minerals and this looks nice Wink
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
tlc0471 wrote:
Big fan of Buxom lipgloss and mascara. Love the way to lipgloss feels. Some aren't a fan of the tingle factor though. Personally I like it, and feel it works to help plump my lips.

I am addicted to the buxom lipgloss...I get it cheaper off ebay. Very Happy

Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:26 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |