Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
fake nails and nail biting
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jaypeah

Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
For years I have had a problem with nail biting. I hated how my hands looked, but it is a compulsion. I am trying to stop and recently had acrylic nails put on to help. It's helping, I don't bite them. However I am concerned that they are damaging my natural nails and I don't want to keep them up by doings "fills".It's been 3 weeks and I can see that there is a gap showing. Is there some way that I can keep them on without damaging the new nail bed and hiding the gap?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi, jaypeah -
I also used acrylic nails to cure myself of nail biting, and I must say, it worked! However...I kept them on for several months rather than three weeks. Some thoughts I had when reading your post:

1. If you don't fill the gap, I believe you are making yourself vulnerable to nail infections. The fill is not just aesthetic, it prevents water from getting between the acrylic and your real nail.

2. Three weeks is just barely long enough to break a habit. Are you sure you just won't go back to nail-biting at this point?

I know it seems like I'm encouraging you to stay on a cycle of filling and continuing to weaken your nails, but my point is you already invested in the nails, so make sure you have accomplished the goal before deciding to stop.

Once you are ready to stop, find a natural nail care clinic to help you repair the damage. I went to a shop that gently removed the acrylics, and made my nails look decent as they grew back to health. I went for manicures every 6 weeks, to keep me from biting again. The manicures made my nails look so nice and expensive, I did not want to destroy them!

You can also take supplements such as MSM and Biosil to promote rapid growth of strong nails.

HTH! Very Happy

Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
I also used acrylics to get myself over nail-biting. It worked, but I actually had them for about a year and a half because I really liked how they looked.

But, I got so sick of the fill appts and I had major issues with lifting all the time which was just a pain.

It's been a couple months and although I still "pick" I don't really bite them anymore. I think keeping a clear polish on them at all times really helps to keep them smooth and therefore no need to do a manicure with my teeth! Shock

I took Andrew Lessman's Healthy Hair Skin and Nails right before I removed the acrylics to strengthen my natural nails and make them grow a little faster. The vitamins have really helped and I've actually had to cut down the length of my natural nails. (hair is growing like a weed too!)

Good Luck!
Rebecca
jaypeah

Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply Nadjazz, great info. I agree that 3 weeks is too short a time to get over nail biting, but I am reluctant to do a fill because I want to limit the damage to my natural nails. Is it really risky to leave them on without doing a fill? Could I possibly just use nail polish to try to cover the gap for a couple of months?

Does anyone know if there is a way to minimize the look of the gap (perhaps buffing it down to blend in with the new growth)? Are there any nail clinics/salons that can do this sort of thing?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
I understand where you are coming from, jaypeah. I myself tried buffing it down to blend with the new growth, and cover with nail polish. But, I am such a klutz with nail polish, that combined with the gap, it looked pretty bad. It never occurred to me to have a salon do that, LOL! Perhaps lpepperdine knows?

BTW, lpepperdine, I also tend to pick, but not really bite anymore. I like your advice about keeping the nails polished with clear all the time! Cheaper than constantly getting professional manicures.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
I went to the salon to have the acrylic nails removed. I asked the nail stylist if we could leave a thin layer of the acrylic on and just let the my natural nails grow out. She agreed with this idea. It doesn't look good without polish, so I had a manicure. I plan to keep the polish on anyway to discourage nail biting. My nails are shorter and don't look as good as the acrylics, but I'm glad that they are off.

So far so good. This way, I have avoided the painful nail bed that people have experienced when having the fake nails completely removed.
I've bought Opi Nail Envy to use on my natural nails as they grow out to try to make them stronger and more attractive and am working hard to continue to not bite them. Having the polish and the remnants of the acrylics definitely helps.

I'm hoping for the best.

Jaye

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:50 pm      Reply with quote
I too was having the same problem with nail biting. Finally I got a remedy. I found Thoughts Become Reality and their hypnotherapy treatment gave me much changes. Thanks to them. I visited them at thoughtsbecomereality.co.uk
Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:53 am      Reply with quote
I am also a nailbiter cured by acrylic nails. But I love my acrylic nails so much that I am keeping them forever!!! I love experiementing with colours and doing fabulous things with my nails.

I of course realise that my nails underneath are ruined. But they were awful before,so I am happy with the acrylics!

cheers

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
Acrylic nails are bad news for nail health in general. Fungal infections can grow between the acrylic and the nailbed.

WHy not try some other ways to break the habit? Maybe dip your fingertips in something bitter, like an MSM solution?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
jaypeah wrote:
Thanks for your reply Nadjazz, great info. I agree that 3 weeks is too short a time to get over nail biting, but I am reluctant to do a fill because I want to limit the damage to my natural nails. Is it really risky to leave them on without doing a fill? Could I possibly just use nail polish to try to cover the gap for a couple of months?

Does anyone know if there is a way to minimize the look of the gap (perhaps buffing it down to blend in with the new growth)? Are there any nail clinics/salons that can do this sort of thing?

Really you need to have them filled or soaked off. Nail polish even super glue degrade in water so it won't keep the gap filled. Water getting underneath the acrylics is what will cause fungus to grow and that you don't want! Once you have the habit broken you can have the salon soak them off and have a paraffin manicure it's heaven! They moisturize your hands and arms and you dip into warm paraffin then they wrap you up and put warming mitts on and it makes your hands and arms soak up all the moisture. This really helps your nails feel much better while they grow out.

DM

Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |