Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Feeding your skin with Smoothies!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:11 am      Reply with quote
Claudia, I think you're right. I went from a moderate amount of veges to a large amount of veges. Plus, it was nutrient rich greens that I added. I think the blending makes it possible to consume more and makes your body absorb it better. It has also changed my cravings so the rest of my diet is better than it was. I have started to crave healthy foods instead of junk. I have even cut back on coffee.

Claudia, how do you make your soup? Do you blend it? I would love to try it.

Oh and my ph has changed. I have the tester strips. I was acid and now I'm alkaline.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:32 am      Reply with quote
I now drink two smoothies a day, one for breakfast and one for supper. I haven't seen any improvements with my sagging, and I probably had the worst diet possible prior to taking up green smoothies. I would occasionally, maybe once a week, have a salad for lunch but fruits were pretty much non-existent in my life. I have some problems, though, related to gas that makes me think I have a long way to go to totally detox my body. Maybe it will take longer for me to see results because of my prior bad diet.

Thanks, cm5597, for so patiently answering my questions. I'm sure I'll have more.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:35 am      Reply with quote
Tonia...

Steam a lb of Broccolli (experiment with your other favorite veges.)

Toss in blender, Add, about a cup of chicken (my fave) or vege broth (low sodium), and blend until smooth. Transfer back to pot, (empty water), add a splash of milk, and maybe an oz of shredded cheddar, stir to blend. Salt and pepper to taste!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:36 am      Reply with quote
Skippie... I think if you have had a "bad diet" for some time, then you have some internal cleaning up to do before you body will be kind enough to allow your skin the benefit of extra pretty... The bodies way of deciding what is most important.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:40 am      Reply with quote
Ok... I started a challenge on my website to log ones diet on a program that counts all the nutritional goodies... and report back... anything lacking? carb to fat to protein ratios???

Let me know if you'd like to join the challange, and/or if you can't find an adequate program to log. I use one that one can download for a free 15 day trial, (purchase is required to use longer than that...) I had signed up to Promote it, and get a little kickback if people buy it. So I won't just post it here, but it is pretty dang cool!!!! PM me if you want that info!

I'm just so excited to see everyone taking such an interest in nutrition... I really should have been a nutritionist instead of a studying boring old finance! Blech!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:40 am      Reply with quote
Hey... I've been turned onto a completely free online log

http://www.nutridiary.com/

Check it out... see if you're getting adequate nutrients for your body!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies, Toby, Tonia, and Claudia. I was thinking it must have to be a huge increase in the veggies/fruits to have that skin tightening effect. I followed the Perricone diet, and I didn't see any skin improvement from that either! So, mine must not be inflammation, but just sagging jowls! Laughing
karianne
5% products discount

Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
I have been watching this thread since it started, with great interest. I finally took the plunge and started making green smoothies two weeks ago. I love them and so do my kids (ages 3 and 5)! We only had one that went down the drain, we used lettuce (I think Boston lettuce?) on that one and did not like the taste. Otherwise we have been using spinach or kale, 1/2 an avocado, orange juice, banana, and frozen fruit in different combinations and every one has been delicious. I just found some chia seeds at a local nutrition store and tried that for the first time yesterday! Gosh, I am learning so much from all of you. Just wanted to mention too that I have a cheap Hamilton beach blender and so far it is doing the job nicely. If we keep this up maybe I'll get a better one for Christmas. I was just wondering about switching up the greens. Some people mentioned that chemicals can build up if you eat the same greens all of the time. I prefer the spinach so am wondering how often do you have to switch it up and how long until you can go back to it?
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE, thank you for the recipe. I can't wait to try it.
Kariane, I read somewhere that you're supposed to have 7 different types of greens and switch every day. That means only having spinach once a week. I personally haven't found 7 greens I like well enough to do that. So, I'm trying my luck with three that I rotate every day. If I get sick I'll let you know. Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
karianne, I am so happy to read someone else uses a cheapie blender that works just fine. Yeah!

I don't know about all the switching of the greens. Kimberly from Envision Beauty Blog is extremely knowledgeable on the green smoothies, etc. I would check around on her site. I don't believe she ever mentions the need to switch them around, but I could definitely be wrong.

Here's her website:

http://kimberlysnyder.net/
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
Just wanted to mention that Dr. Bob Marshall also recommends to switch greens around (and sometimes add a bunch of parsley, or dill, or cilantro).

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:
Just wanted to mention that Dr. Bob Marshall also recommends to switch greens around (and sometimes add a bunch of parsley, or dill, or cilantro).

Is that just so you won't get bored or is there some other reason?
mogulicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
sigma wrote:

Is that just so you won't get bored or is there some other reason?

My guess is that the different foods provide different benefits i.e. cilantro can help with aluminum detox.

I've had my current Vitamix for several years, at least five, have used it every day, and recently noticed a crack in the plastic container. I emailed customer service, inquiring about replacing it, and they are sending me one at no charge!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Just rec'd Victoria's Green Smoothie Revolution... some great looking recipes in there... Ideas that I hadn't thought of...about 200 recipes (even green smoothies for your pets!)

A basic write up as to why drink smoothies... and

VERY IMPORTANT, I will share here... She says it's VERY IMPORTANT to ROTATE the GREENS in you smoothies... Reason: "Plants carry a trace of alkaloids in their leaves to ensure that animals will move on to eat another green plant... alkaloids are poisonous in LARGE quantities... can't hurt you in SMALL quantities. HOWEVER, if you keep consuming the same exact green for many weeks, the alkaloids can accumulate in your body and cause unwanted symptoms of poisoning." So, consider this while shopping and perhaps allow the SALE of the day dictate which green you will use until your next shopping trip!

Best!

This is what Claudia found on switching greens.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
The switching of the greens, according to Victoria Bboutenko, has to do with the fact that greens "carry a trace of alkaloids in their leaves to ensure that animals will move on to eat other green plants and will not exterminate any one species.... Alkaloids are poisonous in large quantities, in small quantities they cannot hurt you,and even strengthen the immune system." Basically, you don't want to build up alkaloids in your body... Most greens carry different alkaloids, so rotating prevents the buildup. She does recommend a different green for each day...

And yeah... I haven't found 7 either... Spinach, Beet green, and chard so far. (I tend to go for mild flavors)

I also eat other greens, but I don't blend them.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:07 am      Reply with quote
sorry if this has already been covered, but I finally got a hold of some chia seeds and was wondering if I need to soak them in water before I add them to my smoothie, or if I can just stick them in as they are any old time?
oh, and how much, a teaspoon / tablespoon ...?
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:01 am      Reply with quote
neondaze wrote:
sorry if this has already been covered, but I finally got a hold of some chia seeds and was wondering if I need to soak them in water before I add them to my smoothie, or if I can just stick them in as they are any old time?
oh, and how much, a teaspoon / tablespoon ...?

I just throw them right in, Neondaze, but you could soak them if you wanted to. And, you might want to start with a teaspoon and alter the amount from there. I usually start with about a tablespoon, which isn't a lot but for certain recipes even that's too much. Other recipes I can add 2 tablespoons and it's fine. They're pretty high in fiber, too, so if you aren't used to getting a lot of fiber, start with a small amount and raise it gradually so your body can adjust.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
I hope I'm not going too far off topic here but I was wondering if I could get your opinions about multivitamin supplements. According to Dr. Joel Fuhrman you should avoid taking supplements containing these ingredients: vitamin A, high dose (200 IUs or greater) isolated Vitamin E, beta carotene, copper and iron. Here is his rationale http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/GCF.aspx

Has anyone heard this from any other source or do you think this is just his way of trying to get people to buy his product (sorry for being so cynical).
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
I hope I'm not going too far off topic here but I was wondering if I could get your opinions about multivitamin supplements. According to Dr. Joel Fuhrman you should avoid taking supplements containing these ingredients: vitamin A, high dose (200 IUs or greater) isolated Vitamin E, beta carotene, copper and iron. Here is his rationale http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/GCF.aspx

Has anyone heard this from any other source or do you think this is just his way of trying to get people to buy his product (sorry for being so cynical).

Jom, I heard a few years ago (I think it was that long) that high doses of A, Beta Carotene, and E could increase the ca. risk of smokers.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
I also believe that some of the vitamins require presence of other substances to get absorbed (like either Vit. A or Beta-carotene needs oil), etc.

Also, I agree with Dr. Marshall that there is no "one size fits all" - so all supplements have to be picked for each individual based on this person's needs.

Also, there has been a European research that Vit. C in medium-to-large doses can cause/stimulate progression of nasty diseases.

Just my few cents...

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
These past two weeks, I've been bad about getting my omega-3 fatty acids in...well, my skin started feeling dry a couple days ago, so I was wondering if it was the lack of additional omega-3 fatty acids. So I ate 1 tbsp of flax seed ground, and wham, the next morning, my skin was much more hydrated. Just curious: are there any foods that you all eat that within 1-2 days, you notice an immediate difference in your skin? For me, the five biggies are (in no particular order):

(1) Water!
(2) Omega-3 fatty acids (flax, chia or hemp seed esp.; I find the oils are less good at hydrating my skin than the whole seeds...no idea why!)
(3) Avocado
(4) Greens
(5) Lots of fruits and veggies

Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
Drinking 2 green smoothies a day for 3 wks now, I've discovered a couple of things.

1. Berries do not taste good mixed with greens, with the exception of strawberries.

2. Endive has too strong of a flavor for me right now. I can barely tolerate kale.

By far my favorite is spinach, and most of the recipes I've found are for spinach. Drinking spinach every day might pose a problem of too much of a good thing. Romaine and green leaf are mild choices, but seeing as they aren't very green I'd like something with more nutrients in it like the spinach.

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
I like blueberries in my green smoothies as long as I include a frozen banana to make it sweet. I don't like romaine I have discovered this week. I do like turnip and collard greens. Maybe that's a southern thing. I'm single and I just can't buy too many different types of greens, because they'll go bad before I can use them. So, I've been using two kinds of greens per week, and then I change up. I'm hoping that's good enough for rotation.

I've been having one major detox episode a week. I wish I could time them better. Sometimes it happens at an inconvenient time. But I sure do feel good the day after.

cm5597, do you buy the flax seed already ground, or do you grind it yourself?
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:53 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

is it normal to experience detox symptoms from the green smoothies ? I have been taking them for about a week now (the Dr Oz one Toby posted) and in the last couple of days I've started to get headaches and a bit of nausea - is this normal ? I have been using the same recipe as I wasn't aware we had to change ingredients so frequently.

many thanks

Jackie xx
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:04 am      Reply with quote
Skippie--I grind the flax seed myself because I heard that ideally one should refrigerate flax seed after it's ground and not expose it to lots of oxygen. I use this cheap Krups Coffee Grinder: http://www.amazon.com/Krups-203-42-Touch-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B00004SPEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1252076440&sr=8-1, which has worked very well for me. But if that's a pain, I think Bob's Red Mill has a ground flax seed meal you can use. HTH Smile

Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |