Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Feeding your skin with Smoothies!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets. what is the red miracle drink? I may have missed it in all the recent posts. TIA

Thanks for all the info and thoughts people have shared re the calcium absorption thing. I have osteoporosis and need all the calcium I can get. Harriet
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Harriet Smile It is called Miracle Reds antioxidanct superfood. I add it to water and drink it back. It's full of goodies and when I dont' have time to do a smoothie or even when I do make them I try to fit this in. I get my powder from iherb - good prices. Another to check out are the Madre Labs products as they have a wide variety of powdered supplements. My newest thing is spirulina and chlorella which in my research is a good choice to prevent calcium leaching from bone matrix.

Nice to have you here.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:25 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I have been changing the greens I use on a weekly basis. I have just started on spinach again this week, and it feels like I'm allergic. My sinuses have blocked and the skin around my eyes is burning. I seem to remember something similar when I switched greens the week before. Does anybody else experience this ?

thanks

Jackie xx
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:30 am      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have been changing the greens I use on a weekly basis. I have just started on spinach again this week, and it feels like I'm allergic. My sinuses have blocked and the skin around my eyes is burning. I seem to remember something similar when I switched greens the week before. Does anybody else experience this ?

thanks

Jackie xx

I also meant to add that I seem to pick colds up really easy since having smoothies, I feel fluey alot of the time,

Jackie xx
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:53 am      Reply with quote
jackie,

that is truly bizarre. if you tell us exactly what you are putting into the smoothie, we might be able to help. even if you were allergic to spinach, there's no way a smoothie a day would cause you to feel so badly. food allergies are more immediate and cause hives, swelling, etc.
maybe you are experiencing some gastro-intestinal upset from too much insoluble fiber?

--avalange

Jackie284 wrote:
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi everyone,

thanks

Jackie xx

I also meant to add that I seem to pick colds up really easy since having smoothies, I feel fluey alot of the time,

Jackie xx

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi avalange,

I suppose it could be more of an intollerance or something. It is only since switching back to spinach this last couple of days that I've noticed the sinus discomfort. Everything else I put in the smoothie is the same, perhaps sometimes just more of it.

I have definitely noticed that i'm much more sensitive to alcohol and greasy foods etc. I would just stick to what i'm able to tolerate, but I read on this thread that not varying the greens can cause intolerances,

Jackie xx
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:23 am      Reply with quote
Jackie.. a couple of things to consider...

1) If you plug up ever time you eat spinach... you probably have an issue it. I would switch off the spinach. Try another green that you like, and try the spinach again. If you do it again, I would blame the spinach.

2) If you're feeling all "fluy" since you started... it MIGHT be because we're smack dab in the middle of cold and flu season. And you might be fighting it as opposed to getting it full force. This has been a particularly bad season. I don't know anyone that hasn't had the flu at this point.

3)Not being able to tolerate foods that are less than nutritious seems fairly common to me. I would guess, that you've actually cleaned up your system a bit, and now when you assault it with alcohol and grease, your body is able to tell you to stop. For an extreme comparison, I would look to a smoker that has stopped smoking for years. If they get around smoke of any kind they tend to get ill, have headaches and start coughing... (just like they probably did when they took their first puff but IGNORED it.) I wouldn't consider it a bad thing that they can't tolerate a "bad for you habit".

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
thanks Claudia,

thinking back, whenever I had spinach in a smoothie, I did have sinus pain, but thought it was a cold. I think there is definitley an issue with it.

I'm going to try other greens,- I was thinking of Romaine lettuce, but somehow believed that it wasn't as nutritious as spinach etc, due to it being rather pale in colour,

thanks
Jackie xx
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
Jackie, I felt fluey for a while on the green smoothies until I found out that I was allergic to avocados. My symptoms had come on gradually, so I didn't realize that was it. I figured it out because I put avocado oil under my eyes and they swelled up like balloons. Laughing Once I eliminated the avocado from my smoothies, my symptoms cleared up in about a week.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone use the same greens every day? or is this something that's not advisable ?

thanks

Jackie xx
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
thanks Claudia,

thinking back, whenever I had spinach in a smoothie, I did have sinus pain, but thought it was a cold. I think there is definitley an issue with it.

I'm going to try other greens,- I was thinking of Romaine lettuce, but somehow believed that it wasn't as nutritious as spinach etc, due to it being rather pale in colour,

thanks
Jackie xx

Jackie - Baby Romaine is advised as a green - or just try a mix of baby greens. Spinach has been known to react in some so your body may be telling you that another green is better. Good advice from Claudia to try again after the flu season is passed and see if it's ok.

Also Jackie - I do rotate greens, I use Kale usually 2-3 times a week but it's readily available in winter in the NE so it works. I love baby greens, spinach and I will get Romaine. So use what works for you.

Just to say: I did not have any flu symptoms this year - yay - no shots, no nothing, just green smoothies).... I don't tend to get the flu but since this was a big year for the stuff I'm happy to say I didn't and I have major exposure.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:58 am      Reply with quote
I do not take credit for this find.....Claudia posted it on Flexeffect(Shirley Leeper originally saw it) but I thought it would be a wonderful addition here. I am emailing this lady and asking her to join us on this thread. She is amazing and I checked out her pictures on Facebook as well. She is 71 now and was 70 with the first clip. She is really into Green Smoothies!!!!This will really motivates us.
[youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdeC3OJJIzA&feature=player_embedded

Also this is a very good interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDMueWMwe_0&feature=fvw

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi Toby. I just checked out her on the videos. She really has aged well. Wonder what skin care she uses. Good genetics but also the wonders of a healthy diet I bet. Also exercise and a good frame of mind. It is a great idea to have her join. I am one year away from 60 and aging is on my mind a lot. Maybe I'll start that topic in the lounge category.
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:11 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets. thanks. I enjoy your posts and presence on the forum also.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:21 am      Reply with quote
harriet wrote:
Hi Toby. I just checked out her on the videos. She really has aged well. Wonder what skin care she uses. Good genetics but also the wonders of a healthy diet I bet. Also exercise and a good frame of mind. It is a great idea to have her join. I am one year away from 60 and aging is on my mind a lot. Maybe I'll start that topic in the lounge category.

I think the exercise and good frame of mind is something we forget.....great idea to start a thread....go for it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:15 am      Reply with quote
Here are some more clips of Mimi and I have contacted her through facebook and invited her to share with us on this thread.These are some other clips she shared with me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcvq63B2bOY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzz2E1F1mmY

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:30 am      Reply with quote
Maybe she'll come aboard - that would be fun. Thanks for the links Toby.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
She looks wonderful. She looks her age, a very vibrant and youthful version of 71. I think everyone could look as youthful if we all ate a natural diet. Thank you for posting that, I enjoyed her interviews and she is a great inspiration. I especially love the fact that she has never had plastic surgery or botox and she looks so great.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
True - Her skin appears to be in good shape with very little amount of sag. But she's not trying to be 40 or anything. Has a nice natural, healthy way. And then there's that younger boyfriend Wink Bet that keeps her youthful too! Shock

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sis, yes that is the vibe I got from her by watching the interviews. She wasn't trying to pass herself off as something else. She seemed very comfortable in her own skin, which I admire.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes Finicky kid's in the house slushy alert Rolling Eyes

Strawberry Blueberry Slushy

- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 banana
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 cut up carrot
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup pineapple juice

My lot won't drink it thick, thick!

Tip; If you leave out a cup of juice, it makes great ice pops!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

is it ok to put oils in a smoothie, like flax or a vitamin oil ?

many thanks

Jackie xx
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:54 am      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi everyone,

is it ok to put oils in a smoothie, like flax or a vitamin oil ?

many thanks

Jackie xx

Yes! Go for it I use both fish oil and flax!!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:42 am      Reply with quote
Dang - never did a fish oil.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I really think I'm beginning to react to green smoothies. My sinuses are constantly blocked which is causing pain in my teeth and giving me headaches. I also think my immunity is lowered as I've never had so many heavy colds as I have this winter. I'm guessing this is because my body is trying to deal with something it doesn't like. I am trying to rotate the greens, but I'll have to give up on them I think.

The funny thing is, it mostly seems to be when the food is blended - I don't appear to have such a response to the food in it's normal state. Well at least to the point it isn't noticeable.

Has anyone else reacted like this ?

thanks

Jackie xx
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |