Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Feeding your skin with Smoothies!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:58 am      Reply with quote
marcia36 wrote:
hi darkmoon ,thanks for the advice i add udos oil in to the smoothies which has coconut oil in it so maybe i just need to drink more fluids which i will def be doing .kind regards marcia

marcia,

Another thought that helps regulate things if this is still an issue Aloe Juice is wonderful for the digestive tract, and tends to move things along! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:28 am      Reply with quote
Hi thanks darkmoon for the tip.Thankfully my stomach is back to normal and all is ok.I think it was how my body acted to the diet change ,it just took time to ajust.Well i am on my 3rd week i think now and i am still having 2 smoothies a day .My skin does look better and my eyes look clearer ,i also have lost a few pound.But the main thing is i just feel good that i am doing something positive to keep myself healthy .I still do get tired as i said before i have chronic fatigue but i maybe can manage through the day better .This morning i had spinach ,watercress,carrot and a apple .I am also getting used to the taste now although i dont think i could ever go as far as saying there delicous but you never know .I just drink them in 2 goes and thats it down.Anyway how are you all getting on with them .kind regards marcia
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
I am thrilled to hear your tummy has adjusted marcia! Smile

I thought all smoothie gals and guys would find this interesting.

http://truthaboutprobiotics.com/2009/10/02/balkans-key-to-longevity-probiotic-yogurt-and-walnuts/

As the founders and owners of Natren have always known ( Natasha Trenev is from Yugoslavia and Yordan Trenev is from Bulgaria), the people from the Balkans region have historically lived long and healthy lives. One of the reasons for their long life spans and unparalleled well-being stems directly from their nutrient and bacteria (probiotics) rich diet.

People in the Balkans eat a diet rich in authentic homemade Bulgarian-style yogurt because it serves as an accompaniment to almost every meal: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Another powerhouse Balkan food is the walnut, which can be found from everything to main dishes, soups, and even desserts! Natren founder Natasha Trenev says that walnuts were added to desserts to prevent the rise of insulin, which accompanies so many American desserts. The walnuts help to stabilize your blood sugar and make the sugars digest more slowly.

If you are interested in bringing some of the Balkan health practices to your own kitchen, we recommend the Natren Yogurt Starter, which can be used to make delicious Balkan-style yogurt at home. In addition, start trying walnuts in new and experimental ways in your kitchen– for example, blend them into your morning smoothie for an additional nutrient punch!

For the article in the NY times, click the link below:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/28/health/nutrition/28recipehealth.html?em

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
I have lived on every known dietary plan from time to time and have finally found a morning routine that both works for me and doesn't restrict me too much. While I agree that generally 100% raw is fabulous for the skin it's a very difficult thing to adopt for many people. Myself included. I simply love the taste, texture and warming nature of some cooked foods. I've never been able to stay 100% raw for any length of time except in the hottest summer months.

But what I do find of value to my skin particularly is this.

1. First thing in the morning drink a glass of warm barley grass. That's just lukewarm water with a tsp of barley grass powder mixed in. It's a very mild taste compared to micro-algae which honestly I can't stomach first thing in the morning. Wait 20mins. I usually do my facial routine in this time. Barley grass is alkalinising on the body and resets your internal pH. I also drink the same immediately before going to bed at night and it does wonders for dark circles under the eyes.

2. Eat 100% raw, water based food (not banana's by themselves). Generally I choose fruit because it's very fast to move through the digestive tract and allows me to follow up with something more substantial within the hour. Plus I love the sweetness of fruit first thing in the morning. You could combine step's one and two but I generally find fruit a lot less satisfying if it's been liquidised and drunk quickly. You also won't get as much water because you'll be skipping the glass of warm water.

3. Eat your usual breakfast once the fruit has moved on.

I find just this simple thing keeps my skin more hydrated during the day (where I spend approx 10-12hrs in an aircraft cabin at altitude dessicating my skin Confused). I can even drink coffee during the day and I will not dehydrate as badly if I've had my hydrating routine in the morning first. I then eat whatever I like for the rest of day, which generally works out at about 80% raw anyway.

I know it's not 'green smoothie' but I thought this was the most appropriate place to post this info.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:35 am      Reply with quote
For those needing a good blender for your smoothies I noticed that QVC has the vitamix on special today.
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.tsv!.tpl.tsv.cm_scid.TSV
$376.00
Good until October 17, 2010 11:59 p.m. ET
FREE STANDARD S&H
Easy Pay! 5 Installments of $75.20
Can't beat that! Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Toby, Thank you for posting this.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
packratmack wrote:
Hi Toby, Thank you for posting this.

I am always looking for a deal!!! Wink
Just wish I had been able to get one!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
Not sure how long that vitamix sale will last... but I LOVE my vitamix!

So, is it cooling down in your neck of the woods?

I've been a crazy woman the last few months. my blender did not get used much. But I've got a butternut squash waiting to be baked... and some lovely mushrooms begging to become soup...

Anyone moving on to warm "smoothies" yet??

Here comes the beautiful fall...

How are you all doing???? I might be certifiably insane right now. Shock Back to the hamster wheel!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
Claudia,
With the boys in school I thought you would have more time now????It is getting cooler now and the leaves are turning and beautifu!!!!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
Toby... Kind of yes, and no.

First of all, I think it turns out that I just kind of suck at transitions.

I'm afraid to say that I'm healthy right now. I spent so much of last year and this summer sick.

And everyone but me is hacking and coughing. I all but hold up a crucifix to my family to ward off the cooties. And so I'm catching up with all the little things that turned into mountains while sick. My yard looked like we had abandonned the house. Shock My home gym became burried under toys and camping gear. But I'm ready to plant some stuff for fall so hopefully my front yard can become more maintenance free...

I have enough laundry to open a small store! Who wears this stuff? It's kind of sad... all that is mine is Pj's and jeans!

And of course I couldn't go to the fund raising meetings for my kids school and keep my mouth shut. I just need some duck tape. I hear it's good for everything!!! And now I'm helping with LOTS of that! And I'm going to school tomorrow to plant the kindergarten garden.

but I'm getting into the swing of things... It's taking me more time than I expected.

Always open to the experience of other moms!!!!!

I've missed everyone... Many hugs!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
Claudia - your message was so earnest and touching. I can remember when my children were small and it was reminiscent in relating to you. Nice to hear from you.

My friend and I are avid mushroom hunters these days - I mean we are hiking, combing the woods, rivers etc - checking out old trees on the hunt for the might healthy mushroom. A soup might be just the ticket.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Sister... My DH goes mushroom hunting with an expert friend of his. It makes me nervous. Just ONE wrong mushroom, and guaranteed death. Which I know doesn't happen very often... but dang that is scary to me...

And then I'll be in the grocery store and wonder.. WHO picked these mushrooms? Where did they get them? How do I know they are safe... LOL! Yeah, a little crazy!

Glad to see you around too... Hope all is well.

Oh, I've been playing tooth fairy lately. Between the boys, they've lost 5 teeth, and each have another loose one.

The tooth fairy leaves a $1.00 gold coin sprinkled with "woofledust" (mom's creation...) That is a crystal like glitter. That OBVIOUSLY, comes from the toothfairy's wand...

Anyhow... Back OT... Butternut squash soup, and mushroom soup sometime this week! YUM!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
I am thinking of jumping on the smoothie/soup bandwagon and I'm pondering which blender to buy. I was wondering if people can give me their opinion on which blender is better the Blendtec or the Vitamix. What do I need to know about buying a blender? TIA
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
Just wanted to add, the Vitamix is about $50 more than the Blendtec. Is it worth the extra $50?
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
JOM...I've never used a blendtec... I think Toby has used both.

I really do like my vitamix. It's POWERFULL! My husband is a professional Chef... and he uses the Vitamix. Not sure if that helps. He uses his DAILY and multiple times. (He claims his is in better shape than mine...LOL! anything that plugs in for some reason quits working after a while... I take the 5th, I have NO IDEA why!)

The power means you can really cream up just about anything.

I make a flourless gravy with mine. I've been working on cutting out grains...

Regardless of choice.... making creamy vegie soups is SUPER easy and fast, and a GREAT way to increase those vegies!!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
jom,
The reason I chose the Blendtec was because it is wider and shorter and will fit under a cabinet and the Vitamix wouldn't. I think both are great blenders although I have no experience with the Vitamix but people swear by them...can't go wrong with either.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
Good pt. toby. They Vitamix does NOT stand under a normal height cabinet.

Whoever put the cabinets in our house does not know what NORMAL is... I've got about a 4 inch clearance above mine...

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
jom,
The reason I chose the Blendtec was because it is wider and shorter and will fit under a cabinet and the Vitamix wouldn't. I think both are great blenders although I have no experience with the Vitamix but people swear by them...can't go wrong with either.

Thanks Toby!
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Good pt. toby. They Vitamix does NOT stand under a normal height cabinet.

Whoever put the cabinets in our house does not know what NORMAL is... I've got about a 4 inch clearance above mine...

Claudia, what is the model number of the Vitamix you use? I hope this doesn't sound stupid but one of the differences between the Vitamix and the Blentec is that the Blendec has buttons on it that say "Smoothies" "Soup" etc. That seems like a good way to know what speed to mix at, just push the right button. How do you know what speed to use with the Vitamix, how does it work exactly? Sorry, I'm not much of a cook (I'm trying to change that) so I don't know much about these things.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
jom - with the Blendtec you need to "program" in the buttons the way you want them. Easy to do - I have one for Smoothies, one for Soups, etc. Or you can just use the pulse button which is standard (already on there) and call it good.
I have a Blendtec - obviously and it is powerful too but I'm sure the Vitamix is amazing. Either one. I even looked at the equip model that Alton Brown uses on "good eats". It's cute and much cheaper.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
JOM... the my vitamix has a variable speed 1-10, and then High Speed.

No indication which number you should use for type of grind. Perhaps in the book. But that no longer exists in my house.

If you leave it going long enough it actually heats what's inside. This is supposed to happen. I think technically it heats food, but it remains "raw"...

I wouldn't worry about your cooking skills when it comes to spinning food. You'll be fine. The only mistake you're likely to make, that we've ALL done. Is forget to put the lid on, and hit high speed. Then you get to see what kind of cleaner you are.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
jom - with the Blendtec you need to "program" in the buttons the way you want them. Easy to do - I have one for Smoothies, one for Soups, etc. Or you can just use the pulse button which is standard (already on there) and call it good.
I have a Blendtec - obviously and it is powerful too but I'm sure the Vitamix is amazing. Either one. I even looked at the equip model that Alton Brown uses on "good eats". It's cute and much cheaper.

Thanks sis, OMG you have to "program" it! I think I would just be using that pulse button a lot. Laughing
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
JOM... the my vitamix has a variable speed 1-10, and then High Speed.

No indication which number you should use for type of grind. Perhaps in the book. But that no longer exists in my house.

If you leave it going long enough it actually heats what's inside. This is supposed to happen. I think technically it heats food, but it remains "raw"...

I wouldn't worry about your cooking skills when it comes to spinning food. You'll be fine. The only mistake you're likely to make, that we've ALL done. Is forget to put the lid on, and hit high speed. Then you get to see what kind of cleaner you are.

Laughing Thanks Claudia, I think I'm just going to have to get a blender and experiment (and make plenty of mistakes along the way I'm sure - but at least I'll learn from them!).
freckles00
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
I've been drinking green smoothies for about 1.5 weeks and it's made such a remarkable difference on my skin.

I've been struggling for a few years with really fine lines under my eyes and on my cheeks. I've tried everything from omega supplements, drinking 3 liters of water to various serums, oils, and creams. Out of desperation I tried laser therapy, which left my skin in even worse condition.

Out of everything I tried, tanaka massage helped the most. BUT WOW!!!! Green smoothies are amazing!!!! The fine lines are actually smoothing out!!!! They're not completely gone but they're not as obvious as before and I'm no longer obsessing over them Laughing

I think everyone's skin needs are different and my key was more greens in my diet. I can't believe how much of a difference this is making, and I always thought I ate pretty healthy...

I'm celebrating!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
Freckles... most likely this is an indication that you were in fact dehydrated. Smoothies are an excellent way to get hydrated. As the ingrediants tend to be full of water...

yay!!!

Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |