Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Feeding your skin with Smoothies!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:08 am      Reply with quote
avalange - what a great site that is. THANK YOU. I have frozen bananas in the freezer which I use for smoothies but today WE will be making ice cream. Bet it will look downright pretty with a sprig of mint and a sprinkle of cinniman (Or those little chocolate sprinkles - for the kids!).

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:34 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
avalange - what a great site that is. THANK YOU. I have frozen bananas in the freezer which I use for smoothies but today WE will be making ice cream. Bet it will look downright pretty with a sprig of mint and a sprinkle of cinniman (Or those little chocolate sprinkles - for the kids!).

Sis, that sounds delicious!
Here is a pic of my "ice cream" once I froze it and it hardened up a bit:

Let me know what you think!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:57 am      Reply with quote
Beautiful.... Gourmet....

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
YUM!!! Great photos btw too avalange!

I've been making this for years now. In fact, I just sat down after making some and putting it back in freezer for tonite's guests. Going to top mine with fresh strawberries, kiwi and peaches.

Sis - funny you should mention garnishing w/mint. I took this photo years ago.

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
Oh my goodness - Gidget too. I am so excited over this recipe....

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
thanks to you all I have been making green or greener smoothies with great success, using spinach or kale mostly with fruits.

but had to write to say how great that banana ice cream looks....have to make some this weekend. thanks avalange.
Gidget2

Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:45 am      Reply with quote
I had my brother in law, his partner and 4 other guys over last night - all in from CA and LA. I made the banana 'ice cream' topped with the fresh strawberries, peaches, and kiwi and they LOVED it!! One was lactose intolerant and was thrilled to learn the recipe. It is such fun - you can blend in strawberries and chocolate and it tastes like Neapolitan ice cream btw.

I alternate my greens when making green smoothies. I use whatever is in the garden or if nothing there, whatever is prettiest and freshest in stores. Kale, spinach, collards, chard, parsley, celery - one of my favorite smoothies I drink prior to a triathlon is banana/celery. You wouldn't think that would taste good but it is fab and the celery gives you the natural sodium and the banana gives just enough energy. And it doesn't sit heavy on the stomach.

Hurray - smoothie season Very Happy
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:52 am      Reply with quote
Hurray for smoothie season!
I am jealous of you ladies who can just pull from their gardens. I need to join a community garden!

I've started a green smoothie craze where I live... They really are delectable if you get it right...

XO to all of you.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:49 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried adding coconut milk to their smoothies (with spinach)? Did it turn out grosss? It seems like vegetables blend well with fruits only. But I want to try adding milk

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
No, I've never used it. I've added a bit of coconut water, which is nice, but never coconut milk. I bet it would taste good, make it sweeter, and add a milky consistency Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
I have been having some leg cramps at night, so this got me thinking about all the foods that are thrown into these green smoothies. I wanted to mention that anyone on an Ace inhibitor be careful of too high potassium intake. I use an avocado, banana, and spinach usually in my green smoothies, which are all high potassium foods and I take an Ace inhibitor, and am thinking this may be causing my leg cramps. Just thought I would throw it out there that anyone taking medication check into anything they should be avoiding (or adding) into their diet.

Now this is very old (2009) but thought I'd add to this warning. I make lots of green smoothies, using coconut water as the base (sometimes with organic apple juice). Coconut water is high in potassium and I throw in lots of chard and spinach as well. I have been feeling so zonked lately, passing out on my fainting couch at noon and all that. My doc suspected low thyroid or anemia. However, my results of today show elevated potassium and sodium. The doc says my kidneys are working effectively so I must be ingesting something that is throwing off my balance. I started Googling and came upon Rileygirl's quote here. I use minoxidil on my scalp to prevent hair loss and have done since my 20s. Hmm...food for thought. Thanks Rileygirl!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
i just started this a few days ago. is it really worth getting an expensive blender? does the food being completely pulverized make a difference?

anyone notice any skin and/or weight loss results or any other results with how you feel.

also, i love the way the smoothie tastes but sometimes it bloats me a little. today to get my smoothie well blended (with my cheap oster) i used water, alot of spinach, half of a large banana, and a few frozen strawberries/papaya. next thing i know it was 4-5 cups worth (32-40 oz).

now that it's colder, these just make me cold in the morning.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
Hey FL...

If it's blended enough for you then I wouldn't get a new blender, until you blow this one up.

That said... Now is when I switch to SOUPS! So keep blending away... and just make them warm.

Brocolli, butternut squash, mushroom, you name it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Hey FL...

If it's blended enough for you then I wouldn't get a new blender, until you blow this one up.

That said... Now is when I switch to SOUPS! So keep blending away... and just make them warm.

Brocolli, butternut squash, mushroom, you name it!

I'm going to be making a leek, butternut soon - and get this... I forgot I can use my blender. Duhhhh. I always think of it as my green smoothie wonder tool.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
That's funny Sis.

I didn't do a lot of cold smoothies this summer. Although I did make several frozen fruit milk shakes...

But I've already started in on the hot soups.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
today i did a bunch of kale, 2-3 oz. antioxidant fruit juice, a little ginger, some lemon juice, a few carrots, and 1/2 pear. it was a little gritty. i guess that's when a vitamix or premium blender makes a difference.

i notice when i do my usual smoothie, spinach or kale, som frozen strawberries, 1/2 banana it doesn't turn out gritty.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
fl wrote:
today i did a bunch of kale, 2-3 oz. antioxidant fruit juice, a little ginger, some lemon juice, a few carrots, and 1/2 pear. it was a little gritty. i guess that's when a vitamix or premium blender makes a difference.

i notice when i do my usual smoothie, spinach or kale, som frozen strawberries, 1/2 banana it doesn't turn out gritty.

The carrots are making it gritty. I know from experience Smile Try it without the carrots.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:42 am      Reply with quote
I'm looking for protein powders that taste good and are good for you.

I love the BSN Dessert product that I get from iherb but would like to alternate with others. I have read that hemp is really good for you.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Mary
flfl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
for those of you that take your smoothies on the go, what do you use?

I would prefer it to be:
-insulated (keep the drink cold)
-made of a good material (no plastic or metal that leaches anything bad)
-good seal (no leaking)

thanks.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
fl wrote:

I would prefer it to be:
-good seal (no leaking)

thanks.

I had this posted on the thread some time ago
Toby wrote:
Smoothie tips for carrying them to work!!!!
I have a commute to work and leave before 7:00am
so here is what is helping me.

Smoothies stored in this(was a bottle of water)
This is what I pour the smoothie into and drink from(it is ceramic 20oz w/sip top cover)
this is a carrying tote for bottles(9 slots)drop frozen gels for keeping cool in no refrig.
tooth brush freshen up(keep the smoothie residue at bay)

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
Love the Mug Toby.
Love WISPS too - perfect for green smoothie debris

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
fl wrote:

I would prefer it to be:
-good seal (no leaking)

thanks.

My husband and I use the 48-ounce wide-mouth Nissan thermos for our green smoothies:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Nissan-48-Ounce-Stainless-Steel-Bottle/dp/B000RHFRVS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320382567&sr=8-1

It was the best that we found that had the features we wanted. Unfortunately, there is not a lot out there.

HTH Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:57 am      Reply with quote
thanks for the suggestions.

do people that use vitamineral earth only use it for travel or do you actually use it for your daily smoothie?

also, are there any other healthforce (vitamineral or other) favorites?
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
fl wrote:
thanks for the suggestions.

do people that use vitamineral earth only use it for travel or do you actually use it for your daily smoothie?

also, are there any other healthforce (vitamineral or other) favorites?

I have tried the Vitamineral Earth, but the only one I really like and have used for 8 years now is the Vitamineral Green. The creator is always improving and updating the formula. Personally, I like the flavor of the last version better, as the current version tastes more algae-ish to me. I use the Vitamineral Green when I recommend, but my husband uses it everyday and it helps him with his unfortunate lack of sleep.

Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
Broccolli - Steam 1 lb frozen Brocolli, Put in blender with 1 cup or so, chicken or vege broth, you can use some of the brocolli water too! Return to empty stock pot, stir in a bit of milk (or sub), salt and pepper to taste, grate a bit (1 oz tops) cheddar cheese.

You can use, roasted squash for this, or steamed or perhaps even grilled asparagus. Roasted veges of choice really.

I make mushroom soup, or gravy (pretty much the same as soup just thicker) for mashed potatoes,cauliflower,turnips...

I'm not a raw foodist.... or a vegan. So substitute however you see fit.

Oh... and on the front of fruit. Although I don't recommend this if you're cutting back on sugar. You can blend room temp fruit with a tiny bit of agave nectar, pour out on a non stick, pam (or oil of choice) sprayed cookie sheet. Put in an oven (mine is convection) at 170* for about an hour or so... and you have SPECTACULAR fruit leather... the kids will love it!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:44 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |