Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Feeding your skin with Smoothies!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:25 am      Reply with quote
Lowbrowscientist, fat_swan, and anyone else struggling with the smoothie taste,

Remember I am the strange bird here that wouldn't touch an avocado or spinach with a ten ft. pole. Laughing I love the smoothies and still hate the taste of avocados and spinach so I would imagine it is the apples and sweetener in the smoothies that is making the difference. My advice is put some acai in to alter the color and add another apple. Also cut back on the spinach...make sure you are using baby spinach. If an apple isn't your fruit choice maybe a banana would be better. I think the most important thing is to set a basic recipe that is delicious to you and sneak the greens in and over time keep adding more. I absolutely love the taste of my smoothie and look so forward to it in the morning. I have cut down from 4 cups of coffee to 1/2 cup.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:41 am      Reply with quote
YOU MUST TRY PINEAPPLE... It covers the taste of everything... seriously, my 4 year olds drink these... and one runs to the fridge in the morning, and pulls out the spinach first!!!

Baby spinach + banana+ orange +pineapple + whatever... You won't taste spinach... I use frozen pineapple and RIPE bananas... try it! You shouldn't have to GAG it down... it tastes good, If you like pina coladas... add a tsp. of extra virgin coconut oil. Do NOT use frozen spinach... that just has a yuck factor beyond coverage I suspect...

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Lowbrowscientist wrote:
Has anyone else had to develop a taste for the greens, or are you guys just lucky and strange Wink enough to like them naturally?

Lowbrow, just try different fruits in with the greens until you land on 1 that you like. The banana usually covers the taste of the greens pretty well, but if that doesn't work for you just keep trying different fruit you like.
Zoftig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:08 am      Reply with quote
LowBrowScientist,

They don't call Dr. Oz's drink "swampwater" for nothing. LOL I actually had to chew it, and the parsley made it even bitter to me when added to spinach. I opted out of the liquid green stuff and ate salads instead which, while healthy, is no substitute.

My solution is to add more liquid and blend longer to make the texture better. I started out with banana to make it creamy, pineapple to give it futher flavor, and lastly added a handful of spinach. I would blend and test and then add more spinach to my tolerance. I also added stevia to mine for sweetener.

I really like my smoothies now and can actually add more spinach each day. I agree with the others - make it to your taste and texture and add more of the greens when you can handle them. Worked for me!
Face4ward
5% products discount

Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Can you make smoothies in a food processor? The blade is larger .. seems like it would be as good, or even faster? In the past, I've accidentally pureed spinach in my Cuisineart when all I wanted was chopped for quiche (left it running a sec too long).

Just wondering...
SansSouci572
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
Face4ward wrote:
Can you make smoothies in a food processor? The blade is larger .. seems like it would be as good, or even faster? In the past, I've accidentally pureed spinach in my Cuisineart when all I wanted was chopped for quiche (left it running a sec too long).

Just wondering...

Try it!
Zoftig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Face4ward,

Might be worth a try before investing in yet another appliance. At least it would get your ingredients to a stage where you could put them in a blender to liquefy them and further smooth the texture..... if you have a blender.

I'd try it even tho it means more washing up.
Zoftig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
SansSouci,

We must be on the same wave length - our messages were posted almost simultaneously!
SansSouci572
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
I think I am going to try an all vege one, without fruit. I shall go look on the vitamix page and see what veges they put together...

I was making some marvelous juice blends, it might be nice as a smoothie.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Aside from taste, I wonder if it really matters what veggies you put in a smoothie. Today I did three ripe tomatoes, parsely from my garden, lemon, blueberries and a banana. Yummmm

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Aside from taste, I wonder if it really matters what veggies you put in a smoothie. Today I did three ripe tomatoes, parsely from my garden, lemon, blueberries and a banana. Yummmm

Probably not, huh? Parsley is a good idea! I am thinking about these yellow neck squashes, and the zuchinni's..you always end up with too many of those!
You put blueberries with your tomatoes? I would have not thought of that! I did put beet juice and cucumber, it was very nice. And some radishes.

I was going to maybe put a shot of tobasco and soy sauce in one too...
Did you make yours cold like a smoothie?

(This is fun, huh?)

When I get the money, I am going to buy an excalibur dehydrator and a wheat grass juicer.
It feels so nice to be healthy, lol.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, this juicing stuff Rocks.... I have always loved veggies and this stuff is like heaven in a glass to me.
I'm heading to a farmer's market - organic all-the-way on Thursday and do a stock on spinach plus whatever else looks healthy and Green Very Happy .
The one link I looked at (Toby's I think) showed the use of hemp seeds so I'm going to get me some of those. And chia. I herb loves me these days.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
Sis,
I did mention the chia and it rocks. I put it in both of my smoothies today and I LOVE them that way!!By the way I jumped on the scales today and I am down 9 pounds. Shock I am really not trying to lose weight...I think my body is detoxing because all of my skin looks firmer...no puffiness...and I didn't think I was puffy before.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
this is so amazing!
Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
ground flax is good too.

Another smoothie: some limes, agave, yogurt and ice. Very tart!
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:14 am      Reply with quote
Sis... I don't think it matters what you put in the smoothie of greens... (just make sure you get those greens!)... as long as you like it. Variety, is important... and fun... and good for you!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:56 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
Sis,
I did mention the chia and it rocks. I put it in both of my smoothies today and I LOVE them that way!!By the way I jumped on the scales today and I am down 9 pounds. Shock I am really not trying to lose weight...I think my body is detoxing because all of my skin looks firmer...no puffiness...and I didn't think I was puffy before.

I rechecked my scales and they aren't calibrating accurately, the weight loss is five pounds Laughing Which is really better for me Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:08 am      Reply with quote
Wow Toby - I am amazed at the weight loss without trying.... I know you are small anyway.
Have to shuffle out and get more greens today.

Do you use white or black chia seeds? Haven't ordered these yet.

I have some flax in my refrigerator - it was freshly harvested off a flax farm. A student gave it to me two years ago - wonder if it's still good to use??? what do you all think? I'm disappointed with myself for not using it previously. Sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:46 am      Reply with quote
Not Toby - but can share this with you...I met a grower at a farmers market that said if stored away from sunlight and humidity the seeds were good up to 2 years or more.

The only people (I have heard of) that tout the white seeds over the black are the sellers of the white seeds (Salva). Others say there is no nutritional difference in the two. Guess it's just personal preference. I have the black ones but would probably take anything my health food store would have. HTH
Zoftig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Toby,

Wow, a new face AND weight loss! I am rethinking your Oz shake. (Smiley here). Comparing our Oz recipe ingredients - mine calls for a whole lemon, peel and all. Yours does not. I think that would make a huge difference in flavor. Also the apple would certainly be lower calories than the banana I'm using.

I know you are not looking to lose weight and I envy you - but if the shake is actually doing that it certainly gives some of us an added incentive.

Many thanks, again!
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:03 am      Reply with quote
Sis,
As far as the chia seeds, I have the ones that are darker and they are wonderful. I think the white ones are fine too.
I think many of us are walking around thinking..... why has it taken so long to discover smoothies and this wonderful way to get greens into our bodies. Here's to the rest of my life with smoothiesImage

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:20 am      Reply with quote
I wanted to share something that may help those of you that are struggling with drinking the smoothies. My son bought some powdered acai that has more of a fruit punch flavor to it. You can get it at Costco and GNC and probably other places also. I have tried it and it REALLY has a wonderful flavor(it has some other fruits in it and is sweetened with stevia). This is a link to it. Copy this off to see it.
http://www.togobrands.com/index.php?option=com_content%26view=article%26id=80%26Itemid=78

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
I make my 'smoothies' with all veggies.. which was orginally called 'energy soup' by Ann Wigmore (sort of the Mother of raw living food..no longer alive)..she used avo, sunflower 'greens' and other green sprouts, spinach. apple and dulse (sea vegetable)

but since I am sensitive to many fruits( and avo)....I use tomatoes and cukes instead as my base (although apples are also good in this recipe) and add greens...usually spinach as a base... and then a lot of fresh cilantro, basil...maybe mint... a bit of arugula...lots of ginger and garlic ..sometimes jalapeno... or sometimes a natural kim chi(i also like a bitter taste so i may add dandelion greens..also great for the skin)

the whole thing tastes like a really good gazpacho soup...and most of my friends..and other folks.. are really attracted to it...(i'm not sure about kids though!)

i've been eating raw since 1980 and for me diet makes the biggest diff in the way my skin looks...in addition to exercise... and love.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
what i'm meaning to say is that any sort of herbs or spices (like curry spices) can be added to this 'soup'...and also good quality salt (like celtic sea salt or himalayan salt) or a bit of good quality miso or tamari soy sauce...so that it doesn't have to be bland..but more like a gourmet experience

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
Ladies,

Thankyou so much for all the great suggestions Very Happy

(Zoftig "swampwater" is a great description of what I was drinking! lol)

I think my problem was using too many greens and too little fruit... I'm going to start throwing in a very small amount to start with and then, as you've all suggested, increase very gradually, while experimenting with different types of fruit. With any luck I'll be guzzling lots of greens soon, heaven knows I need them!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:19 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |