Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Feeding your skin with Smoothies!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
SansSouci572
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
Victoria just announced on facebook that she is created a forum about green smoothies atwww.greensmoothieforum.com. She posed the question: Do you or do you not add oil to your green smoothies and the responses were becoming "forum-like". So she decided to go ahead and create a forum. I just joined, I am SansSouci over there as well. Very Happy
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
AWESOME!!!! about the forum...

Skippie.. I would make a very generalized observation and say that based on that minimal list of foods, and unless your sandwhiches are about 500 calories... you could easily be eating below your metabolic needs (but I have no idea how much you weigh... so VERY GENERIC HERE)... Although healthy foods, so at least your body is getting nutrition... you could basically be starving your bod. Also, if that's happeneing, you could also be canebalizing your muscle... so if you start to lose weight, you often lose mass... and basically become more flabby...

Nice huh?

I would log your foods for a while. Just to see what you're actually doing. It's easy to think you're getting just the right nutrition... I recently realized I was getting NO WHERE NEAR enough protein for the types of work outs I've been doing... and DUH... no wonder I was so tired afterwards, and not getting the results I wanted...

I'm not a nutritionist by any stretch... But I do think it's worth looking into...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:35 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, Claudia. I'll try to do as you suggested and log my intake.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:46 am      Reply with quote
Two thoughts about smoothies this morning.

First thought is I don't use the smoothies to replace a meal...my reason is I think the body needs the digesting of a meal to keep the metabolism running at a good rate. I don't know if the is correct but from my years of research with weight loss this makes sense. People that drink their meals may not be boosting their metabolism. So my meal maybe small but I am eating at least three meals and drinking two 30oz smoothies a day. Also I make sure the calorie intake is enough.

Second thought.....I took facial pictures today and I am very pleased at the comparison from pictures taken in July before starting smoothies. I am not sharing the photos but what I see is plumper skin, better glow, and tightening all over. SWEET Laughing Now for the third thought...I think I'll have a GREEN SMOOTHIEImage

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:05 am      Reply with quote
I tend to eat a "small meal" - for me this might be a hard-boiled egg and/or yogart before the smoothie or with it.
I would like to step up the program with the two smoothie-a-day system.

Toby, did you say previously that you make both smoothies up the night before?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:20 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I tend to eat a "small meal" - for me this might be a hard-boiled egg and/or yogart before the smoothie or with it.
I would like to step up the program with the two smoothie-a-day system.

Toby, did you say previously that you make both smoothies up the night before?

I usually do them in the morning..one right after the other...or make one for the day and then make one when I come home from work. they can last up to three days in the frig but the first 30 min. is the most nutritious.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Toby and Sister Sweets for input on the meals. I guess I need to try eating, too. I'm wondering if that would slow down or stop the detoxing I'm still having.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:14 am      Reply with quote
If you are worried about stopping the detox then stick to fresh and raw veggies. I just think it is important for the body to have food in it's whole form to keep metabolism function at peak performance.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:20 am      Reply with quote
Truth is, Toby, I would love to stop detoxing. At least one day a week and sometimes two, I spend a great deal of my morning detoxing. It's very inconvenient at times. Sad
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:23 am      Reply with quote
skippie... what are your smoothies made from??? Always the same...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:26 am      Reply with quote
Also Skippie are you on any medications? My mother is and the combination of smoothies and her meds sends her to the bathroom. She adds some cheese into her diet and that stops things Laughing I dislike cheese but it works for her.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:28 am      Reply with quote
Claudia,

I try to have a vegetable smoothie for my evening meal: tomato, greens, celery, carrots, & a V-8 - usually doesn't vary much except sometimes I'll add an avocado or cucumber instead of celery.

For my breakfast smoothie, I use fruit: a mixture of greens and two or more fruits including apple, pear, orange, peach, nectarine - always include a banana to sweeten it and always include a heaping tablespoon of whey protein.

I do add three ice cubes to all of my smoothies.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:38 am      Reply with quote
Are you using the same greens or are you varying them. There can be a problem if you are using the same greens...like spinach all the time.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:46 am      Reply with quote
I also think that it is better not to combine small meals with smoothies - the broken down in the blender smoothie is ready for rapid absorption by the intestinal tract, but if the cooked food is added, it will slow down the absorption, and should negate some of the benefits of the smoothie. Yogurt, on the other hand, can be used in the smoothie (if it is with lots of good bacterias and no additives like sugar, flavor, etc.).

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:51 am      Reply with quote
In case it helps, I find the same thing as Victoria Boutenko: I get the best digestion by making a meal of the green smoothie and only using fruit and greens (no added fat, no yogurt, etc.) Both cooked food and fatty foods like yogurt will slow down digestion. However, I think everyone should do what works best for them, but in terms of experimenting around with different options, making a large green smoothie of just fruits and greens alone as a meal is a good option to try...

HTH Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 am      Reply with quote
Toby, yes - I use two different greens a week and rotate the two I'm using every week, so I'm not using the same two consecutively.

I am not a big eater and never have been and that's why I've been using the smoothies as meals. However, I'll try adding in some solid food and see if that makes a difference.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:24 am      Reply with quote
I am a big eater and the smoothies make me not really want anything else...but in the back of my mind I keep thinking that drinking my meals could slow down my metabolism in the long run, and I certainly don't want that.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:47 am      Reply with quote
Skippie... Am I to understand that your detox, is you spending a lot of time in the ladies room?

I suspect it MIGHT be the avocado, peaches and nectarines.

Might be moving things a little too fast.

However, I would take advantage of the smoothie forum and talk to them about excessive detoxing... such that it's interfering with your life...

Also... just as a side... I wonder about the v-8 juice... not sure how that's effecting you... but that is generally a LOT of sodium... would be curious what others think. Adding juice, although tasty,is not considered particularly beneficial... kind of empty calories. Granted V-8 at least has lots of vits.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
Claudia,

Yes, my detox involves the restroom. I've cut down considerably on anything with pits thanks to your poem. I'm only using one of the little cans of V-8 and it's low sodium, but it makes the smoothie taste a lot better.
karianne
5% products discount

Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
Just wondering how everyone is liking their blenders (new and old). I have been using an old Hamilton Beach which has been doing ok but occasionally leaking from the bottom. I thought I had my husband talked into getting a Vitamix but just yesterday he got his Consumer Report's magazine in the mail and it had reviews on blenders. Of course it said that an Oster was just as good as the pricier ones so now he doesn't think we need the vitamix (argh, darn magazine anyhow!)! Has anyone tried the Healthmaster? I'd really like to get one with a plunger so I don't have to keep stopping and pushing stuff down with a spoon. We can afford a more expensive one, my husband is just a penny pincher!
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
I like my Blendtec but to be honest the L equip 228 was just as good and it did some things better. I gave it to my best friend when I thought the Blendtec might better Rolling Eyes The L equip 228 can be found priced from 80.00-159.00 and it has a six year warranty. Spend some time searching the net and you will be surprised at the deals you might find.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
Have had my vitamix for about 4.5 years... works like a champ...

My mom just got the healthmaster... I've used it a few times... works good. Can't speak to long term use...

Heck... get the oster... and if/when it burns out THEN get a more spendy one...

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using an Oster and it actually works very well at blending smoothies. I haven't tried using things like carrots or celery though. Otherwise I use it 3 times a day for smoothies.....once for my daughter and twice for me. Does the job. HTH

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:28 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Also... just as a side... I wonder about the v-8 juice... not sure how that's effecting you... but that is generally a LOT of sodium... would be curious what others think. Adding juice, although tasty,is not considered particularly beneficial... kind of empty calories. Granted V-8 at least has lots of vits.

I personally wouldn't use v-8 either, because its not raw, and thats the whole idea of doing a raw smoothie, so its raw, alive, has all the enzymes and so forth.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:25 am      Reply with quote
SansSouci572 wrote:
ClaudiaFE wrote:

I personally wouldn't use v-8 either, because its not raw, and thats the whole idea of doing a raw smoothie, so its raw, alive, has all the enzymes and so forth.

I'm only using one of the very small, low sodium cans of V-8 in with my raw vegetables and greens, so I really don't think I'm doing any harm. The more tomato and tomato-based products you can have a day, the better protection you will have from the sun because of the lycopene in the tomatos.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |