Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Feeding your skin with Smoothies!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Jackie, I really thought this would get better for you. I'm so sorry that you are still having problems. I'm completely at a loss as to why you are having this kind of reaction.

I am interrested to see if you get better once you go off the smoothies. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Best of luck!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I really think I'm beginning to react to green smoothies. My sinuses are constantly blocked which is causing pain in my teeth and giving me headaches. I also think my immunity is lowered as I've never had so many heavy colds as I have this winter. I'm guessing this is because my body is trying to deal with something it doesn't like. I am trying to rotate the greens, but I'll have to give up on them I think.

The funny thing is, it mostly seems to be when the food is blended - I don't appear to have such a response to the food in it's normal state. Well at least to the point it isn't noticeable.

Has anyone else reacted like this ?

thanks

Jackie xx

If you eat a salad with greens, tomato, cucumber cranberries, dressing, walnuts, etc, etc it becomes blended during the stages of both mechanical (chewing) and then chemical digestive processes. (Almost like a smoothie would). Is there a fruit or something else you are using in the smoothie that is not something you have normally eaten in the past? Or could this possibly be just a coincidence. I just don't see a reason for harm if there are no allergies to something.

I would hold off for a while. Maybe resume when you feel better again and give it another go. (Hate to see you sick if it happens once you resume but I'm hoping the benefits of the smoothie win for you eventually). Sis~~

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I really think I'm beginning to react to green smoothies. My sinuses are constantly blocked which is causing pain in my teeth and giving me headaches. I also think my immunity is lowered as I've never had so many heavy colds as I have this winter. I'm guessing this is because my body is trying to deal with something it doesn't like. I am trying to rotate the greens, but I'll have to give up on them I think.

The funny thing is, it mostly seems to be when the food is blended - I don't appear to have such a response to the food in it's normal state. Well at least to the point it isn't noticeable.

Has anyone else reacted like this ?

thanks

Jackie xx

I had similar reactions when I first started green smoothies about 3 weeks ago and since I have allergies and asthma, I was freaking out. The worst was about 1 week into doing smoothies when I woke up with a massive nosebleed -- it then dawned on me that my furnace is programmed to kick up the heat when the temps drop (which it did big time around here) and I had forgotten to turn my bedroom humidifier on at night. Once I turned on the humidifier, my sinus and other respiratory problems started to clear and my sinus headache finally went away. Although I was able to solve my respiratory problems this way, I still recommend stopping smoothies until your symptoms go away -- better to be very cautious about possible allergic reactions! Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

thanks so much for your replies. I really don't know what the problems is. Thinking back, I don't really recall the smoothies doing anything significant for my skin, I just used to feel a bit more energetic in the mornings.

I'm wondering if they have never really agreed with me (hence no visible improvement in skin tone etc) and that the build up of this is now resulting in these problems,

thanks again

Jackie xx
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:31 am      Reply with quote
You will want to have a green smoothie after reading this. Thanks Miranda for finding this and posting it on another thread about lessening N/L with green smoothies Imagehttp://www.middle-ageless.com/search?q=greens

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
Loving the Green smoothies!

Has anyone tried working in canned pumpkin into their smoothies? It seems like the right consistency, is loaded with vitamin and minerals, and would contribute to taste factor.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:53 am      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
Loving the Green smoothies!

Has anyone tried working in canned pumpkin into their smoothies? It seems like the right consistency, is loaded with vitamin and minerals, and would contribute to taste factor.

--avalange

Now that sounds good...going to have to try it!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:58 am      Reply with quote
Canned pumpkin does sound good! I'm gonna make one right now and include some cinnamon.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
this should've been the Thanksgiving Smoothie. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
let me know how it goes!
i am going to pick one up tomorrow, and put a banana and blueberries in with the pumpkin, with kale and watercress, maybe?

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
I hear pumpkin... I think... Pie, creme brulee, bread... and MAYBE soup... I can't get myself to drink it...

Have you tried the pumpkin shakes, and coffees that are offered during the holidays? I can't even fathom those...

I would almost go with traditional spices...

Curious to hear how it all goes...

Getting crazy brave ladies!!! Woo hoo!

5% products discount

Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:25 am      Reply with quote
I have been just using spinach. I didn't think of watercress! Doesn't watercress sometimes have hard thorn like things that poke you?
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
blender update: The BF had all kinds of confusion getting me the top shelf blender at Christmastime but it is finally on it's way. I'm sooo excited as my old one is rather beat to you-know-what.
I'm going to give one of claudia's soup recipe's a go and make it for the BF. He's pretty good to me. Just got me a bunch of nice work-out tops. Anything to support health - I love it.

Also have chia seeds and have been drinking them up. I have this strange line-up. First is the Swamp Water (named by BF) this is a combo of chlorella, spiralina and bee pollen. in 8 oz of h2o.
Second is my MSM/Biosil blend in water. and third is chia seeds - a scoopful also in water.

It's getting crazier and crazier. I'll have to add some of the mess to the smoothies when I can get back into them with a functioning blender. Yay BF!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Sister... yes.. you should def. spend the 10 minutes it takes to make one of those fab soups... He'll think you spent hours... LOL!

Can't wait to hear how it goes over...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Hey Sister... yes.. you should def. spend the 10 minutes it takes to make one of those fab soups... He'll think you spent hours... LOL! All the better!
Can't wait to hear how it goes over...

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Sis! What's the Chlorella, spirulina, and Bee Pollen blend? I'm already doing the Biosil, MSM and Chia seeds. How much of each do you include and what does it do for you?

BTW, my family loves the blended soups. The broccoli soup is so much better than the traditional version. We down a pound of Broccoli much easier than if it were steamed. I've started giving this recipe out to my friends.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia... love your signature!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
Hi, Sis! What's the Chlorella, spirulina, and Bee Pollen blend? I'm already doing the Biosil, MSM and Chia seeds. How much of each do you include and what does it do for you?

BTW, my family loves the blended soups. The broccoli soup is so much better than the traditional version. We down a pound of Broccoli much easier than if it were steamed. I've started giving this recipe out to my friends.

Hey tonia - Howdy.
I bought big tubs of chlorella, spirulina and my BF had the bee pollen which he gave to me; all of them in powdered form. I stir a heaping teaspoon of each into about 8 ozs and drink it back. Sometimes two times daily.

I think I"ll do the Broccoli soup for the BF. This sounds good. It's on this thread, right - have to go back....Thanks Tonia.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:53 am      Reply with quote
Just an FYI for those looking for quick access to the many smoothie, juice and soup recipes shared on this thread—the recipe posts have been manually tagged with the phrase "Smoothie Recipes" in the message titles to make them easier to retrieve. To use with the EDS search function, type in:

smoothie recipes

select search for all terms

select search topic title only (from "Search Previous" field)

select all available (from pop-down menu of "Return" field)

If you are looking for a recipe by a specific person, you can refine the search further by adding their name in the "search for author" field.

The soup recipes have been tagged with both "smoothie recipes" and "soup recipes" and so will come up with a search of either phrase.

HTHs!
Zoftig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:41 am      Reply with quote
It's a HUGE help. Thank you Havana8!
garbath
5% products discount

Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:52 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Havana8 for the tip. I 've been doing smoothies for over a week and I certainly have seen the ' side effects' Smile- glowing and smoother skin.

At first I did suffer from the detox effect and had withdrawal symptoms of not having my usual sugar fix. I had some slight breakout which subsided and disappeared after 2 days! However on my 4th day I succumbed to my sugar pangs and ate 'several' delicious biscuits (which had pumpkin seeds- so I consoled myself that it was 'healthy' Razz)

Am back on the smoothies with a vengeance and taking it slow and steady. This time I'm adding ginger and tumeric to each green/purple/pink potion cos I experienced loose stools with the green smoothies. I read from critic's post in another thread that this could be a sign that the vegetables are 'cool' (which is not good for the body) and if you must have smoothies , add ginger. Well am happy to report that I'm fine now and ginger is really great in the smoothies.

Another thing is I want to share this website with everyone. While I was surfing the net looking for more smoothies recipe I came across this website which focuses a lot on green smoothies and its benefits http://www.greensmoothiegirl.com/ This lady, Robyn Openshaw is really passionate about drinking green smoothies and how it changed her life and her family. If you look at her videos, you can see that she is literally in the pink of health.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated to Robyn Openshaw and I havent bought anything off her website, nor am I her agent.

I am on the other part of the world from where she is so I hope my chirping about her website won't be construed as selling her stuff.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:38 am      Reply with quote
This is some information on ginger
Facts about Ginger
Ginger dates back over 3,000 years to India. Ginger is native to Southern Asia and has long been a staple addition to Asian cuisines. It is quite popular in the Caribbean Islands, where it grows wild in lush tropical settings.

Traditional Ayurvedic Medicine has recommended ginger for many gastrointestinal and blood diseases. It is used for abdominal bloating, coughing, vomiting, diarrhea, and for the treatment of inflammatory joint diseases, such as arthritis and rheumatism. A little piece of ginger goes a long way. Look at the multiple benefits:
Enhances natural resistance for cold and flu.
Reduces inflammation.
Supports healthy digestion, offering 180 times the protein digestive power of papaya.
Soothes digestion.
Contains at least 12 anti-aging constituents that inactivate free radicals.
Supports blood platelet health and cardiovascular function.
Twenty-two known constituents inhibit inflammatory 5-lipoxygenase, supports prostate health.
May increase absorption and utilization of other nutrients and herbs by 2 to 2.5 times.
Ginger is a good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin E, Vitamin B6, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium and Selenium, and a very good source of Manganese
It came from here http://greensmoothiesblog.com/

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Garbath, how do the smoothies taste with ginger? I read critics post way back but never tried it. I love the way my smoothies taste and didn't want to mess up the flavor.

Thanks, Claudia. I heard that saying years ago and it still cracks me up. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:36 am      Reply with quote
Hey... I make a lemon ginger juice with beets... It's SPICY... but really tasty... I happen to like things sour, so I don't add sugar... (you can)

Lemon Ginger Juice with Beets

1/2 peeled lemone
1 whole beet (about 2 inches in diameter)
1/2" chunck of ginger...

Toss in your juicer (I don't blend and smooth this)

Pour it over ice and YUMMY!

I actually need to get back into my ginger juice. My joints are hurting lately, and I've read a lot about it's improvement on arthritis... there was a good test on a bunch of people with RA, who were able to lower their dosage of pain meds with daily injestion of ginger!

Look for other ways to add it to your diet. (salad dressing... dH made a great recipe... I'll see if I can get it!)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:58 am      Reply with quote
i love ginger, garlic, cumin, tumeric(especially the fresh root bought at Asian Indian stores near where i live)...and often recommend that people add them to their smoothies (or my preference..which is green(raw) energy soups) cause it tastes good...and, natually, have certain healing/health promoting qualities...but from a Traditional Chinese Medicine prospective (TCM)..and like everything else..they are not necessary good or health promoting for everyone.

For example, my personal TCM,for my personal TCM 'profile', my practitioner has told me (and i, unfortunately have experienced) that they are detrimental to my health, especially my digestion..and has told me, at the very most, if i must, to include then only once a week...and although i balk..because i am not a 'sweet lover'..but a 'heat-promoting spice lover'..i must admit i feel so much better without them.

Fennel, which i also love, however, is not heat promoting..i grind it fresh from the whole spice.. and often add it to my green energy soups and nut/seed pates.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |