Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Feeding your skin with Smoothies!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:12 am      Reply with quote
as usual i must apologize for the many typos in my posts (always lose them when i try to edit)

Anyway.. traditional ayuvedic medicine (from India) classifies 'types' of constitutions requiring different kinds of foods/spices. A VATA type constitution does well with hot spices..a PITA type sould avoid them. (there's also a Kapha type..not sure about their spice balances)

Gabriel Cousens who i've mentioned before, and who is bothe an allopathic and ayuvedic doc, and owns/runs a well-known raw food hesling center...has recipes with spices appropriate for all the ayuvedic constitutional types..in his book Conscious Eating (IMO a real gem)he lets us know which recipe with what spices promote balance or imbalancein the different constitutional types.

bottom line, i quess, is to study, experiment. stay in touch with your intutition and inner guidance and be true only to what really promotes your own well-being.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
okay, i want to say a bit more...(i'm always unsure how much to say in these health/healing type threads)..

anyway..healing/health..and what, imo, is 'real' medicine..from any tradtion..is not a black and white issue..it really is an art from as well as a scientific based phenomena..meaning it is based on intuition/inspirtion/experience and an in-depth understanding of/respect for the intricacies of life in it's wholeness..and not just a simple application of a standard 'remedy' for everyone...(i'm not saying anyone here is doing this...just wanting to re-emphasis this, imo, truth)

So, for example in TCM,one may have certain organs/systems that may be 'cool' and 'damp' whereas others may be overheated and dry..and these systems/organs are intricately interacting with each other..and one wants to heal the whole person...so one listens to the pulses (i believe there 6 of them in tCM..not sure though)and other physical phenomena presentedby the client..and bases the herbal remedies (which include heating and cooling herbs and spices) uon the interaction of all the systems in the body. I used to have cold hands and feet. and overall internal 'dampness'...but some of my organs were overheated...hence hot spices were detrimental to me...and herbs/spices with different propeties were recommended (and worked) for me.

also..in auyvedic healing..folks are usually combos of the different 'types' of 'doshas'..so again,healing comes from a deep understanding od=f the individual and their innerbalance, as well asfrom an external schematic knowledge.

in the west, the Vitslist herbal movement, based on traditional western cultures (like the native americans in the usa)...also takes into account the heating. cooling. drying. moisturiazing quality of herbs..and appies to the particular systms/overall balance of each individual client.

what i love about the vitalist (and wise woman) herbalist ways are the reality that there is a belief that it is the wholeness of the herb..in intimacy with the wholeness of the healer/practitioner that releases the inner healing power of the herb..not just it's scientificall/lab determined chemical components...and that any given herb can heal any apecific person who allies (befriends) with it..in a totally new and outwardly (including lab anaylsis)unpredictable way..just as a human being..who is intimate with another responds in a way that is totally unpredictable to someone who is only a causal aquaintance and hasn't opened their inner bein/heartto the person in question...because herbs/spices are living'beings' so to speak....every changing..vital..not inanimate objects

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
Zoftig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
Jasminerosey,

I've read everything you have posted with interest - I very much appreciate the sharing of your considerable knowledge.
Thank you!
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
update:
pumpkin in a can is only available several months of the year. would it kill supermarkets to stock it year round, since it's in a can?

okay, moving on:

i baked a sweet potato, and constructed a greens smoothie around it. it was DELICIOUS!!!!

here's the recipe:

Sweet Potato Smoothie

5-7 raw almonds
1/4 cup blueberries
1/4 cup blackberries
1/4 cup chopped papaya (i had this fresh, you can omit it!)
1/4 cup baked and cooled sweet potato
1/2 banana
1/2 cucumber
handful arugula (rocket)
handful raw kale
2 ounces aloe juice

I think nutrition and taste-wise, this is such a winner. it might be a little caloric, but it is tasting really good as dessert right now!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
Canned pumpkin is available here year round... Maybe check out various markets.

5% products discount

Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia the smoothies with the ginger tastes really zesty. There's like a 'fire' to the smoothies depending on how much you put in.

I just take half an inch and add it to the smoothies. Toby thanks for the note on the ginger. Glad I'm taking it.

Jasminerosey thanks so much for your input. I am fascinated with Ayurvedic healing and TCM but I haven't done any research on it. I just take bits and pieces of information which I get and try to incorporate them in my smoothies/ diet. I know I should do more research on it and have been inspired to do so.

I've got really bad migraines and I don't want to be on steroids/medication. So holistic/ natural/ ayurvedic/ TCM (without the cupping/ acupuncture at the moment) approaches really appeal to me.

Green smoothies have helped not only my skin but my migraines and even the auras! I know its still there but I know smoothies will help! I think one of the main causes of my migraines are the refined sugar found in juices, chocolates and even biscuits which I take. The smoothies have reduced my huger pangs for the sweet stuff!

Ladies keep sharing your recipes, I can't wait to try them out.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
i trekked out to THREE in chicago in search of it. no luck! they all looked at me crazy and reminded me that it's a seasonal product.

funny, i even went to the slightly sketchy market in my neighborhood, thinking they might have some left over from pumpkin season, and they didn't. but you know what, to my horror, they DID have? 2 month old shrinkwrapped pumpkin PIES.

for sale.

--avalange

sister sweets wrote:

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:13 pm      Reply with quote
i forgot, i added ginger in here as well! i freeze my ginger and use a microplane grater to add it--so much easier; it's like grating fluffy cheese.

--avalange

avalange wrote:
update:
pumpkin in a can is only available several months of the year. would it kill supermarkets to stock it year round, since it's in a can?

okay, moving on:

i baked a sweet potato, and constructed a greens smoothie around it. it was DELICIOUS!!!!

here's the recipe"

5-7 raw almonds
1/4 cup blueberries
1/4 cup blackberries
1/4 cup chopped papaya (i had this fresh, you can omit it!)
1/4 cup baked and cooled sweet potato
1/2 banana
1/2 cucumber
handful arugula (rocket)
handful raw kale
2 ounces aloe juice

I think nutrition and taste-wise, this is such a winner. it might be a little caloric, but it is tasting really good as dessert right now!

--avalange

Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Pumpkin is available year round where I live too, but it's not right now. I went to buy some for my smoothies and they were out. I asked about it and they told me there was a pumpkin shortage this year. Go figure!

sister sweets wrote:

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
No kidding. A pumpkin shortage. I have a guy friend who makes pumpkin pies all year long - I'll bet he's very distressed Crying or Very sad

That is absolutely disgusting about the shrink-wrapped pies.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
I want pumpkin!!!!!!!!!
I found this really amazing site for nutritional calculation:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2602/2

it is one of the best anti-inflammatory foods, and those a great one to add into the smoothies to balance out tropical fruits and any other inflammatory foods you might eat that day. it's also a very nutritionally "complete" food.

pumpkin is sooo much better for you than sweet potato.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2670/2

--avalange

Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
I want pumpkin!!!!!!!!!
I found this really amazing site for nutritional calculation:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2602/2

it is one of the best anti-inflammatory foods, and those a great one to add into the smoothies to balance out tropical fruits and any other inflammatory foods you might eat that day. it's also a very nutritionally "complete" food.

pumpkin is sooo much better for you than sweet potato.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2670/2

--avalange

Yes Avalange, I have been recommending this website for months! I too believe it is very good for any nutritional analysis you may want to do.

What I would suggest you do is prepare a recipe analysis for your smoothies. That way you can get an idea of what nutrients you are receiving and will be aware of what is missing from your diet. It also calculates calories and breaks down the sources of those calories. The only thing you have to be careful about is ensuring you enter the correct quantity of each food item.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:46 pm      Reply with quote
Amazon has it, just do a search for "organic canned pumpkin". But you have to order 12 cans!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks fadedgirl. I'm sure we'll have some takers.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:20 am      Reply with quote
Great website! I make pumpkin pies year round too. It's my favorite dessert. At the grocery store, they told me to check back in a couple of weeks.

Has anyone actually tried this in a smoothie? I think it would be really good with pumpkin pie spices added.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Tonia...

Steam a lb of Broccolli (experiment with your other favorite veges.)

Toss in blender, Add, about a cup of chicken (my fave) or vege broth (low sodium), and blend until smooth. Transfer back to pot, (empty water), add a splash of milk, and maybe an oz of shredded cheddar, stir to blend. Salt and pepper to taste!

Well, I finally made this and to my surprise, I LOVE it!! Shock (I've never ever liked broccoli soup.) Thanks a bunch for sharing the recipe with us, Claudia. Smile
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
Havana... amazing how simple that is too... HUH?

Glad you liked it.

RE: Pumpkin, I had heard about this shortage just before Thanksgiving. I had friends rushing out to buy their pumpkin in August & Sept. LOL!

Check out Amazon... Grocery... and Canned Pumpkin... some qualify for free shipping!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:53 am      Reply with quote
I made a special request for canned pumpkin at the grocery store yesterday. They said they can get it on special request, they just can't stock it.

I've never liked Broccoli soup before either. It has always seemed too thick to me. This one is perfect. Thanks again, Claudia.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:47 am      Reply with quote
My beautiful Blendtec blender has arrived! It is amazing. I just programmed in for smoothies, soups, ice cream and dips and sauces. This thing can do anything. Very excited to give it a try.
First venture will be smoothies.

Promised the BF soup on Wednesday night.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
Cool! It makes ice cream??? Now I might be able to talk my hubby into getting one.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
This thread has been so very helpful and because of everyone's generosity with sharing information, I began making daily green smoothies four months ago. My skin looks incredibly smooth. My hair & nails grow like crazy (more root touch ups are the only downfall). I love my VitaMix! I alternate various organic greens along with varying varieties of fruit.

I have used various green powder supplements in the past that have tasted just awful and last week I found one that is actually delicious! Greens 8000! They have a website with lots of information.

I found the best price for the 8000 at Intohealth.com as it's $23.13/bottle. I have the Chocolate, which is AWESOME and the berry which is also yummy!

I'm using these to add more flavor to my smoothie and I've also tried them just by themselves in water and they are really, really good! I love that I can take these with me when I travel since packing the VitMix isn't really an option.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:00 am      Reply with quote
Would love advice from Blendtec users Smile

Would you purchase one again if you had to?

Is it better than the average blender and why?

All Blendtec comments appreciated!

BF
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:30 am      Reply with quote
Yes, please tell us about the Blendtec. That's a lot to pay for a blender and I would like to know if it's worth the extra cost. What's so great about it?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:08 am      Reply with quote
I just logged off and made a green smoothie for lunch. I included sliced ginger for the first time. I had to log back on just to say. . .oh my goodness, it's wonderful!!! Thanks to all who have suggested it. I should have tried it sooner. I love my apple and spinach smoothies and haven't wanted to mess with a good thing. I'm glad I did. I love it!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
Toby has had her Blendtec for a while and Kassy got her's back in August. I'm sure they'll see this and weigh in.
I'm a Blendtec newbie. So far just Smoothies, and soup and applesauce. It also grinds grains, coffee.
All the programmed settings are timed to start out at one speed and work up or down as needed for the specific ingredients. When I do a Smoothie with ice (for kids) it starts out lower and slower and then speeds to deal with the ice.

A great thing about the Blendtec is that it is nicely engineered. Easy to clean, the container can be bounced off the floor and even stepped on and will not crack or break. (Maybe if you weigh a lot). It appears (so far) to be a well thought out design.

Since I haven't had it long I really defer to those who've had it longer.

I know Toby also likes the L Equip (Alton Brown uses this on the Cooking Network) - I almost got this (good price on Amazon) but the BF stepped in and offered me the big kahuna.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |