Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Feeding your skin with Smoothies!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Zoftig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 12, 2010 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
Ms. Kassy

Looks good! I've been thinking about the frozen pops for summer too. Stevia doesn't freeze well? Bummer! It's the only sweetner I use.

Xylitol crystals might work. You'd have to take in the laxative factor for the kiddies but as Sis says we're talking small amounts here. When you get to be my age you look forward to a laxative effect. Laughing Laughing
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 12, 2010 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
Zoftig wrote:
Ms. Kassy

Looks good! I've been thinking about the frozen pops for summer too. Stevia doesn't freeze well? Bummer! It's the only sweetner I use.

Xylitol crystals might work. You'd have to take in the laxative factor for the kiddies but as Sis says we're talking small amounts here. When you get to be my age you look forward to a laxative effect. Laughing Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing I needed that!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 13, 2010 10:38 am      Reply with quote
gossamerwings wrote:
I'm a fruit smoothie pro, but wanted to try the green ones because of the benefits. My first attempt was today. I used frozen spinach because I do not like the texture of fresh in my mouth (too alkaline, it makes me pucker if consume more than 1/2 a cup).

I used 1/2 cup frozen strawberries, one apple, one cup ice, 1/2 cup frozen spinach, apple juice to blend.

The taste was so-so. I need to try again with banana and pineapple.

Here was my issue. I LOVE greens, but am not eating enough. I have a sensitive gag reflex. My "head" could not get past that I was drinking and smelling spinach, and by the time i was finished, and even now, I feel like I might vomit.

I feel like if I could eraficate the smell and the color, I'd be fine.

So... tips on reducing the spinach SMELL and the dark green color? My toddlers, by the way, RAN from the room screaming "nasty smoothie". Only one of them tried it, and after a few moments she said it was "too green". The color turned them off as well.

Hey Gossamerwings! From your recipe, it sounds like you need way more fruit than that to have the smoothie taste good. 1 apple (~ 60 cal) + 1/2 strawberries (~ 30 cal) = less than 100 calories, so that also probably won't sustain you for long, and is not enough fruit to mask the greens. Something like

* 1 10-12 ounce bag of frozen strawberries or raspberries (~ 120 cal)
* 3 oranges (~ 180 cal)
* 1 pear or banana (~ 100 cal)
* 1-2 large handful of spring greens / other greens (~ 20 cal)

will probably taste much better (and be more sustaining). Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 13, 2010 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Having tried diets from 80% fruit + 10% fat to diets that are 80% fat + <10% fruit (yes, really!), I'll just add a different opinion on the issue of fruit. I think fruit is fantastic and not to be feared, but despite that, I do think people tend to run into problems with fruit mainly for one of the three following reasons:

(1) Mineral deficiencies: fruit can exacerabate mineral/electrolyte imbalances if one is not eating enough greens or other mineral rich foods. E.g., if you are low on calcium and/or sodium, since fruit is high in the "agonist" minerals potassium and magnesium, you can feel worse when eating lots of fruit, as you need these minerals in a balance for proper electrolyte levels. Also, minerals are needed for the transport of sugar into cells (which is why green smoothies are so awesome), so again, someone who is deficient in minerals may not feel as good eating more fruit until they correct their mineral levels which will naturally help with their blood sugar problems. This is not fruit's fault, rather the solution is to fix one's mineral levels.

(2) Too much fat in the diet. The more fat in the diet, the more fat in the bloodstream, and the slower the transport of sugars into the cells, so the higher blood sugar levels are. If you eat a higher fat diet, you may feel less good eating more fruit. The solution is to reduce the fat in the diet and/or to not eat fruit with fattier foods together in the same meal, but to have them in separate meals. This is also what Victoria Boutenko, the green smoothie expert, says, and she recommends having green smoothies with just fruit and greens.

(3) Digestion issues. Many people don't feel as good eating fruit with other heavier foods, which can lead to gas, etc. So the solution is not to eat heavier foods (like avocado and nuts) with fruit in the same meal and to wait 1-2 hours after a large fruit meal to eat again, and to wait 3-5 hours after a heavy meal to eat a lot of fruit.

Just wanted to add this, because when I was eating lots of fruit but did not address points #1-3, I felt sub-optimal. However, once I fixed this issues, eating lots of fruits and greens makes me now feel amazing.

This helped me a lot, so I hope this helps someone else!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 13, 2010 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
Zoftig wrote:
Bethany,

I've checked out my dessert (kale/pomegranate juice/blueberry) smoothie:

cal 153 fat 1 carbs 35 fiber 6 protein 3

I make this one specifically for my eye condition but it's very tasty.... I get to feel virtuous as a bonus! Very Happy

Thank you so much for sharing this!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 13, 2010 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, Bethany! I never bothered to check it out until you asked the question. I used Fitday for the figures!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 14, 2010 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
Zoftig wrote:
Thank you, Bethany! I never bothered to check it out until you asked the question. I used Fitday for the figures!

I love fitday...I think I'll measure out my ingredients before I make the smoothie. Smile

Since changing my diet to be more plant based (but less fruit), my blood sugar has actually dropped too low due to the Metformin I take. I could have added more fruit, but I thought that dropping the Metformin was actually a better option...why take a drug if I don't need it?

And once I get stabilized after that, I can see how much fruit I can really handle (or not).

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 15, 2010 10:45 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,
I spent few hours skimming through this thread and I am totally pumped to try green smoothies Drool . I do eat lots of steamed vegetables on a daily basis, and have recently added home-made mixes of raw radish, carrot, celery stalk, and cherry tomato that I take to work to snack on. I also love fruit smoothies (berries, banana, flax seed oil, coconut oil, ground flax seed, soy milk), but have been pretty irregular with those. I have scribbled down a shopping list of things to buy (chia seeds, acai powder, blueberries, baby spinach, arugula) and I'm heading out Cool .

Will report on how my first green smoothie turned out.

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 15, 2010 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Rubby - that's super great. You'll be a total health fiend when you add this to your terrific repertoire....!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 16, 2010 6:12 am      Reply with quote
Hey guys,
Here is my first creation - bunch of organic baby spinach, handful of organic baby arugula, organic strawberries (4), handful of blueberries, slice of pineapple, half of grapefruit, teaspoon of coconut oil, splash of flax seed oil, tablespoon of ground chia seeds, and 1/2 cup of water. Forgot to add ice. Verdict - not bad at all!
My hubby just rolled his eyes, and my daughter said the 'thing' looked like barf. Laughing Laughing

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 16, 2010 6:15 am      Reply with quote
OMG!!! That's a huge photo Shock Shock . Sorry about that. R.

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 16, 2010 6:20 am      Reply with quote
I think it's beautiful Laughing Laughing Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 16, 2010 8:25 am      Reply with quote
so lovely, rubby!
my smoothie is very similar to yours, except i add organic canned pumpkin, which is a superfood in and of itself, and really brings the flavors together!
mine is darker, also, because i add a lot of berries, which makes it more purple-y than green.
i ask--do you think you even need the ice? wasn't it so delicious without?

i adore green smoothies. i am taking a job for a month this summer that i think requires that i eat prepared food--and i wonder what i am going to do while there! i need my green smoothie fix!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Flannery
5% products discount

Sun May 16, 2010 8:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone!

I finally read through this tome and am convinced I want to try to incorporate green smoothies into my diet.
Just wondered if I could get some clarification regarding the right blender for smoothies. Is it absolutely crucial to use one of those incredibly expensive Vitamix or Blendtec models for breaking the cellular walls of the fruits and vegetables- or does a good, sturdy normal priced (I mean under $100) do the job, albiet more slowly. Or is the breakdown less complete with a normal blender- though it may appear the same consistency as one made with an expensive blender?

I tried to bid on a used Vitamix but the competition was too stiff! It must be worth the money- but I“m just a bit confused!

tia

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 16, 2010 8:54 am      Reply with quote
I've been on a smoothie kick for a couple months, now. Because of this thread, I've also decided to try a RAW diet. Came close to around 75% for the past two weeks. Found a barely used dehydrator and am now going to try to go for 100%. Wish me luck! Very Happy
pleiades
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 16, 2010 8:57 am      Reply with quote
Flannery wrote:
Hi everyone!

I finally read through this tome and am convinced I want to try to incorporate green smoothies into my diet.
Just wondered if I could get some clarification regarding the right blender for smoothies. Is it absolutely crucial to use one of those incredibly expensive Vitamix or Blendtec models for breaking the cellular walls of the fruits and vegetables- or does a good, sturdy normal priced (I mean under $100) do the job, albiet more slowly. Or is the breakdown less complete with a normal blender- though it may appear the same consistency as one made with an expensive blender?

I tried to bid on a used Vitamix but the competition was too stiff! It must be worth the money- but I“m just a bit confused!

tia

Hi Tia!

I've only got an older Hamilton-Beach blender and have great results. I've had it for a few months and no problems as of yet.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 16, 2010 9:38 am      Reply with quote
Flannery... I think you can go with a cheapo for a while... the problems you will run into... burning out your motor... but until then!!! Go for it... Just add extra liquid to your greens so the blade doesn't bog down... (that will save your motor)

The vitamix is AWESOME.... for sure... but it's spendy... and Quite frankly, if I wasn't married to a pro chef I never would have gone out and purchased one... Well... maybe... but it wouldn't just by lying around...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 16, 2010 11:22 am      Reply with quote
rubby wrote:
Hey guys,
Here is my first creation - bunch of organic baby spinach, handful of organic baby arugula, organic strawberries (4), handful of blueberries, slice of pineapple, half of grapefruit, teaspoon of coconut oil, splash of flax seed oil, tablespoon of ground chia seeds, and 1/2 cup of water. Forgot to add ice. Verdict - not bad at all!
My hubby just rolled his eyes, and my daughter said the 'thing' looked like barf. Laughing Laughing

Rubby, I always lovingly refer to my green drink as "pond scum." Just remind them that everything looks the same coming out, so they need to focus less on appearances going in! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 16, 2010 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Rubby,

I have a VitaMix that I use when I make more than one serving of smoothies. It's great for many other things as well.

I have a "Magic Bullet" mini blender that I take when traveling. Does a good job with the green smoothies! I blend the greens with the liquid first to get completely smooth, then add the fruit and blend. That way if there are even small chunks in the smoothies it will be sweet!

It's under $50.00 but the downside is, it will only be 1 serving. I have seen the newer versions now that come with a small pitcher size option. That one may be better!

I bought mine at Costco for $40.00. Love it!
Zoftig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 16, 2010 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Bethany

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 16, 2010 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

Rubby, I always lovingly refer to my green drink as "pond scum." Just remind them that everything looks the same coming out, so they need to focus less on appearances going in! Very Happy

LOL... Shock I MUST totally disagree... as a mother of twins who has had to deal with WAY MORE than her fair share of poop in the last 5 years... it does NOT all look the same coming out... Nor does it FEEL the same coming out...

The Twin that would love to make simple carbs (bread, toast, cereal, pasta) his ONLY food group not only puts out eliminations that look like marbles or a bag of marlbes... he suffers!!! (on the not so funny side, I had to take him to ER, he was so backed up recently that he was actually becoming TOXIC, with a fever... poor kiddo... I just threaten ER, and hand him and apple and he's such a willing good little eater!)

The other twin loves fruit and veggies... eats them ALL THE TIME... loves his salads, pulls the spinach out to make a smoothie... snacks on oranges and watermelon... That kid puts things out of his body that are NOT HUMAN let a lone from a child that weighs 48 lbs. Bigger than anything anyone in our whole family can accomplish... HUGE... and it takes him less than a minute to easily pass it all... his tummy is NEVER bloated... Nothing... It's crazy...

So... My long story is... It MAY look like barf going in... but you won't feel like barfing after it comes out...

Loved the Magic Bullet... Made fresh baby food daily in that thing... and then screwed on lids, and took off... So for all the diapers I sent to the landfill... no baby food containers...Get the bullet for traveling... excellent Idea... if you're in a hotel with a little fridge you could pick up all ingredients in a little store, and do you own breakfast... Wow... cool idea... I might get a new one!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 4:40 am      Reply with quote
Hi there smoothie ladies Smile ,
I have a question - what do you all do for your smoothies on working days? It's easy to make a smoothie for a breakfast, but what do you do with/for your mid-day smoothie? Do you make a big batch in the morning and then take 1/2 of it to work? That's what I'm planning for today, but I worry that all the good stuff (vitamins, minerals) are going to be ruined by the time I consume the smoothie at work (around 1:00pm). What do you think?
Any comments/suggestions would be more than welcome.
R. Smile

avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 6:07 am      Reply with quote
Dear Rubby,

In my own experience, the smoothies kind of "turn" pretty easily, so I would aim for eating them immediately after making them. That way, you can ensure that all the enzymes are fresh. I'm just assuming this is the case because the same is true for juices--you are supposed to drink them right away to get all the health benefits.

Also, I cannot speak for others, but I think one smoothie a day is sufficient! I try to eat an early dinner and eat my smoothie around 8pm, when I'm home.

--avalange

rubby wrote:
Hi there smoothie ladies Smile ,
I have a question - what do you all do for your smoothies on working days? It's easy to make a smoothie for a breakfast, but what do you do with/for your mid-day smoothie? Do you make a big batch in the morning and then take 1/2 of it to work? That's what I'm planning for today, but I worry that all the good stuff (vitamins, minerals) are going to be ruined by the time I consume the smoothie at work (around 1:00pm). What do you think?
Any comments/suggestions would be more than welcome.
R. Smile

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
Avalange, you were right. My smoothie did not taste as nearly as good at noon as it did at 8:00am when it was freshly made. I transported it to work in my stainless steel water bottle, and kept it in the fridge until 12:00 noon, and it was OK to drink - but that was just not the same yummy smoothie I had in the morning. So, I don't think I'll be doing this again.

On a bright side - my hubby kindly went and did some shopping for me, so now I have lots of fresh organic baby spinach, more frozen berries, fresh bananas and 5-6 pink grapefruits. Yum!

Oh yes, a quick question: Do you guys put broccoli in your smoothies? My hubby bought a packet of frozen broccoli and I was wondering how that would be in my morning smoothie. What do you think?

Hope everyone is doing well.

R. Smile

bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
I ordered the "Clean" book from Dr. Junger (made famous by Gwyneth Paltrow):

Quote:
In it, Dr. Junger describes how he became aware of the toxicity of our planet. He also explains how detoxification and cleansing have been around for thousands of years, but knowledge about them has been lost at time when it is more important than ever before. Most importantly, Clean is a manual for readers to learn how to turn our detoxification systems on full speed while supporting our bodies to maximize their effectiveness.

While checking out their website, I came across some recipes that he recommends....lots of smoothies and blender soups!

http://www.cleanprogram.com/files/clean-program-recipes.pdf

Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:03 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |