Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Feeding your skin with Smoothies!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
rubby wrote:
Avalange, you were right. My smoothie did not taste as nearly as good at noon as it did at 8:00am when it was freshly made. I transported it to work in my stainless steel water bottle, and kept it in the fridge until 12:00 noon, and it was OK to drink - but that was just not the same yummy smoothie I had in the morning. So, I don't think I'll be doing this again.

On a bright side - my hubby kindly went and did some shopping for me, so now I have lots of fresh organic baby spinach, more frozen berries, fresh bananas and 5-6 pink grapefruits. Yum!

Oh yes, a quick question: Do you guys put broccoli in your smoothies? My hubby bought a packet of frozen broccoli and I was wondering how that would be in my morning smoothie. What do you think?

Hope everyone is doing well.

R. Smile

Rubby the smoothie starts separating out and the whole configuration changes when it sits. I drink one big smoothie a day. Best fresh. I try to make sure I get five servings in there (or at least four): Two worth of greens and usually 3 of fruit. I do a green powder later if you aren't having any more greens in other meals... Or even a vitamin c/fruit powder is good.

I have never added broccoli to the smoothie. I suppose you could but I've kept it to leafies for the green part.

Keep it easy - that way you're bound to maintain the habit.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
Once upon a time... many moons ago I added raw broccoli to a smoothie. It was... DISGUSTING... Not my thing...

However, I love to make broccoli soup... WARM...

It's always worth a try... but I wouldn't want to be rushing out the door with an experiment in hand...

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Once upon a time... many moons ago I added raw broccoli to a smoothie. It was... DISGUSTING...

Guess that's the answer
Laughing Laughing Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
LOL... and I LOVE broccoli... but hey, that's just my opinion...

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 2:51 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:

However, I love to make broccoli soup... WARM...

Hmmmm, yes! I was reading all the nice recipes for blended soups you ladies discussed here. I actually talked to my hubby about those soups and he seemed receptive. Perhaps that's what we'll do with broccoli.
As for the smoothie - I now have a whole bunch of organic baby spinach and baby arugula, so I'll continue with those for the next few days, then I'll try kale or chard.
As always - many thanks ladies Wink .
R.

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2010 8:22 am      Reply with quote
I eat one giant green smoothie at home for breakfast, and another one 2-3 hours later. I have a large thermos container that I freeze empty the night before, and then pour my smoothie into when I make it the next morning. It does taste better immediately after I make it, but the freezing of the container and then refrigerating it and eating it just 2-3 hours later is pretty close to fresh, and I'm sure is better than not having a second green smoothie. HTH Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 20, 2010 2:46 am      Reply with quote
Another couple of questions:
* What kind of protein do people usually add to their smoothies? Or do you not add any protein?
* Do people see/treat smoothies as meal replacements (or as meals in themselves)?

I make/drink my smoothies after my morning workouts. I am generally very hungry and do require a good mix of protein and carbs for that morning meal. I love and really enjoy my green smoothies after my workouts, but I struggle a bit with the protein part of the mix. Also, I don't find that these green smoothies really replace any of my meals. I have a smoothie (BIG smoothie) and then 1 hour later, I still need to have my breakfast (I'm hungry).

I would love to hear what others do and what their experience with smoothies has been.

As always - many, many thanks!

R. Smile

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
mogulicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 20, 2010 8:03 am      Reply with quote
rubby wrote:
Another couple of questions:
* What kind of protein do people usually add to their smoothies? Or do you not add any protein?
* Do people see/treat smoothies as meal replacements (or as meals in themselves)?

Rubby - my daily breakfast is a huge green smoothie, it fills the Vitamix container almost completely - over 40 ounces. For protein I include hemp or chia seeds and plain yoghurt, lately Oikos Greek from Stonyfield Farm. Sometimes I'll throw in milled flax seeds. Then usually one fruit (apple, pear, grapes) or mixed berries and tons of either spinach, romaine or kale. Then I add a good portion of fresh cilantro and parsley. Also a lemon or lime, and raw honey from Stakich. This holds over until lunchtime.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 20, 2010 8:40 am      Reply with quote
Broccoli is my favorite vegetable, but I wouldn't put it into a smoothie unless I bought it at a farmers' market. Grocery store broccoli is usually only good for soups or stir fry dishes. A related vegetable is broccolini, which I also recommend. Truly fresh broccoli (broccolini too) tastes sublime.
mogulicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 20, 2010 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Pasted from the greensmoothieblog:

Do not add starchy vegetables such as carrots, beets, broccoli stems, zucchini, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, egg plant, pumpkin, squash, okra, peas, corn, green beans, and others to your green smoothies. Starchy vegetables combine poorly with fruit and may produce what my children call “gas 4 less.”

__I do sometimes throw carrots into my smoothies, never had a gas issue...

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 20, 2010 9:56 am      Reply with quote
Here's some "food" for thought to keep in mind for the most *antioxidant-rich* foods that are wonderful additions to smoothies (or any meal.)

As usual, always team up those antioxidants, because only using *one* at a time, can cause it to become pro-oxidant. They need to work in teams to re-cyle each other. (That's especially the case for beta-carotene!)

Antioxidant Rich Foods:

- Acai
- Alfalfa
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Applesauce (unsweetened)
- Artichoke
- Asparagus
- Avocado
- Basil
- Beans
- Beets
- Bell Peppers
- Black Pepper
- Blackberries
- Black Eyed Peas
- Blueberries
- Brussel Sprouts
- Cherries
- Chili Powder
- Cilantro
- Cinnamon
- Cloves
- Cocoa
- Cranberries
- Dates
- Eggplant
- Figs
- Fuji Apples (more than others)
- Ginger
- Green Tea
- Kale
- Nuts (especially walnuts)
- Oatmeal
- Olive Oil
- Oranges (especially blood red ones)
- Oregano
- Parsley
- Peaches
- Pears
- Plums
- Pomegranates
- Prunes
- Purple Cauliflower
- Purple Sweet Potatoes
- White Tea

And if cellular detoxification, and increasing the growth of beneficial bacteria in the intestinal tract is of interest to you, then this "Brassica" family of veggies should also be on the ole shopping list:

Brassica Veggies:

- Arugula (PM me for an eazy peazy recipe for your next BBQ that everyone devours.)
- Bok Choy
- Broccoli
- Brocccolini
- Brussel Sprouts
- Cabbage
- Cauliflower
- Chinese Broccoli
- Horseradish
- Kale
- Kohlrabi
- Mustard Greens
- Purple Cauliflower
- Radishes
- Rudabaga
- Wasabi
- Watercress

Rubby, making smoothies IS my daily workout! Laughing Embarassed

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 20, 2010 10:36 am      Reply with quote
Kassy, AWESOME list... thanks...

I have to brag a bit, and HOPE I don't jinx it...

My POM TREE is SOOOOOOO FULL of blossoms. We've never seen so many.

I have to do some reasearch to see if I should thin so I get big pom...

We get them the size of softballs... Come fall, I'm eat 2 of them a day! YUM!!!

If we have extra... the juice is to die for... and I'm finding you can freeze the seeds... and have you ever had a choc. dipped pom seed (trader joes!) CHOC & POMS... anti-ox to the yummy delicious max!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 20, 2010 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Didn't know about the fugi apples.

THANKS...

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 21, 2010 2:12 am      Reply with quote
Kassy, thanks so much. Those are great lists .
I need to start using more herbs such as parsley, cilantro, mustard greens, and few other stuff from those lists.
I looked everywhere for Acai powder. Found one place that carried it - but they were out of stock Crying or Very sad . Will have to wait and go back next week.
Hope everyone is having fun with their smoothies Dancing !!

sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 21, 2010 7:57 am      Reply with quote
What is the best blender for the green smoothies. What do you use?

Sun May 23, 2010 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all...I've been lurking around this forum for years, but I don't post much because I'm so busy on several other forums. This and MUA are my fave beauty sites, however! I have been stalking this thread for several months and started making green smoothies about two months ago. They're great as meal replacements and to make sure I get plenty of greens when I need them. I make one every day!
Anyway, I stumbled upon a new recipe I thought you all would like. I really enjoy it, and it's making my body respond well. it's from detoxthe world . c o m / Natalia Rose; a raw food nutritionist in NYC. Here's her recipe:
( I ususally don't put in the figs b/c they are hard to find around here)

The Spring Cell Cleanse (my amazing new fruit soup):

2 cups fresh pineapple, cubed
5 ounces fresh, organic baby spinach
1 cup organic alfalfa sprouts
2-3 dried, organic Turkish figs
˝ medium Hass avocado (ready to eat but not overripe)
5 frozen strawberries, or a couple of ice cubes instead if needed (used to keep the mixture from warming while blending)
1-2 cups of water (to blend)
stevia to taste (use sparingly, as the soup is naturally pretty sweet, but I sometimes add a little stevia for extra sweetness)

Blend in a high-speed blender until smooth. Makes approximately 5 cups. Some nights I eat it all; other nights it’s too much. Use your intuition to gauge the right amount for you.
Zoftig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
Awesome first post, lildreamer!

I'll certainly try it - thanks for sharing.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
Just had to share a little "mishap" when making my green drink tonight. Embarassed

I added my green drink powder, my protein powder, was adding some of the other stuff I usually add like maca, Biosol, d-ribose, msm, etc. But I got to the MSM bottle, and I was like "Wait...I already added that. Why am I trying to add it again?"

Upon closer inspection, I had indeed already picked up an almost identical white plastic container and added the white powder within to my drink. Unfortunately, it had NOT been MSM....it was really a product for my cat called Viralys, which is a l-lysine powder I add to his food when he has feline herpes related upper respiratory issues. Shock

But at this point I was hungry, and decided that if the cat could consume it, so could I. And I drank it anyway. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany if you start meowing like your kitty you better call 911! Laughing I took my dogs pills by mistake one morning(they were tranquilizers to knock him out when he got a nasty skin infection). The other pill I took was mine and it was an allergy pill that makes me very sleepy. Trust me I struggled at work for the first couple of hours. The funniest part of the whole thing is my dog is trained to jump up on a chair to get his meds in the morning....and when he did I realized I had already taken his pills!!! The look on both of our faces was priceless Laughing I did call the pharmacy and they say I would be fine as long as I didn't start barking...so Bethany you are alone with the adventures!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 4:41 am      Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing OMG, Bethany and Toby, your 'pet-meds mishaps' are hilarious Laughing Laughing Laughing. By now, Bethany - your cat's supplements are hopefully through your system and you survived the whole thing with out any issues or meowing incidents Laughing Laughing .

On a more serious side - Bethany, so you do add your green/protein powder and other supps to your green smoothie? I do it occasionally, but tried not to, because I thought I read here that it is not good to mix powders into the 'real' fresh smoothie. I think somebody said something about organism getting confused or something Confused Confused . Any thoughts?

Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 7:00 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
Bethany if you start meowing like your kitty you better call 911! Laughing I took my dogs pills by mistake one morning(they were tranquilizers to knock him out when he got a nasty skin infection). The other pill I took was mine and it was an allergy pill that makes me very sleepy. Trust me I struggled at work for the first couple of hours. The funniest part of the whole thing is my dog is trained to jump up on a chair to get his meds in the morning....and when he did I realized I had already taken his pills!!! The look on both of our faces was priceless Laughing I did call the pharmacy and they said I would be fine as long as I didn't start barking...so Bethany you aren't alone with the adventures!

I was half asleep when I posted that so I edited it this morning...I have better brain cells in the am Laughing Rolling Eyes

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 8:12 am      Reply with quote
My mother used to take allergy shots, her nurse friend injected her weekly. Our Lhasa Apso had the same allergies and took shots also. One day the nurse accidentally gave the dog's shot to my mom. It was a Sunday morning and they could not reach the MD but were able to reach the veterinarian who explained that the only difference in the shots was the flea combatant so now fleas were one less thing for her to worry about...

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
Question all??? How many calories do you feel are in these smoothies?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
Sherry... depending on what you put in, and how much you drink... 200-500 calories.

BIG WINDOW!

Use a diet website to analyze a smoothie that you're interested in...

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sherry,

Most of Victoria Boutenko's smoothies and a lot of other green smoothie recipes out there are more in the 100-300 calorie range. But many have more calories than this, and some even have fewer.

I know some people want the smoothies to serve as a meal, while others just want the smoothie to part of a meal. If you fall into the former category and, like me, prefer to have smoothies as a full meal, then you might want to double many of the recipes out there.

Of course, the more accurate way is to use a calorie counter or nutrient database, but this will hopefully give you a flavor of things: basically there's a wide range. HTH Smile

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:44 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |