Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Feeding your skin with Smoothies!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 30, 2010 9:38 am      Reply with quote
Zoftig wrote:
I haven't tried red chard yet but I will now - I just bought some organic Lacinto kale that was incredibly bitter. I've bought from the same grower before and it was fine....maybe it was old...the leaves were very large!

Oh probably! Most leafy veggies get very bitter when they reach the stage of about to go to seed or bolt as gardeners say. I was a huge veggie grower all the years I lived up north and it's amazing to taste those bitter greens and the next day you are pulling that plant as it's shooting out a flower spike!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 30, 2010 10:22 am      Reply with quote
moosejavian wrote:
Just a question with the addition of the pumpkin, Victoria Boutenko doesn't recommend combining starchy vegetables, is it just because of the possibility of gas when combined with fruit? TIA!

Yes, that is exactly the reason why she recommends not using starchy vegetables...it's considered bad food combining and it may produce gas when combined with fruit.

Mon May 31, 2010 5:23 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Hey Sarah... Not sure how long a can of pumpkin will last.. (Oh, and JIC, NEVER leave it in the can once open... that's an invitation for major cooties for some reason...Or is that an old wives tale?... Transfer to covered glass just to be safe...)

I would scoop it into servings in an ice cube tray, and freeze it... Then take out one or two cubes a day...

I haven't tried pumpkin yet... HMMMM... I might try this... it's the "wrong" flavor profile within my brain... I'm gonna have to try it... will report when I do!

Pumpkin ice cubes... great idea, thanks!
tarapaca
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
Zoftig wrote:
I haven't tried red chard yet but I will now - I just bought some organic Lacinto kale that was incredibly bitter. I've bought from the same grower before and it was fine....maybe it was old...the leaves were very large!

Red chard is a great tasting vegetable, I like to use baby leaves in salads as well as in the green smoothies. I was never a fan of kale until I discovered kale chips, now I make them a couple of times a weeks, and even got my husband to eat them instead of potato chips.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think pumpkin is particularly starchy. If you compare it to its "cousins," it has quite a different nutritional profile. For instance, I thought I could easily substitute sweet potato for it, but it just doesn't have nearly the same nutritional value as pumpkin.

For the record, I always put pumpkin in my smoothie and combine with veggies and fruit and I never get gas from it.

--avalange

cm5597 wrote:
moosejavian wrote:
Just a question with the addition of the pumpkin, Victoria Boutenko doesn't recommend combining starchy vegetables, is it just because of the possibility of gas when combined with fruit? TIA!

Yes, that is exactly the reason why she recommends not using starchy vegetables...it's considered bad food combining and it may produce gas when combined with fruit.

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
I started adding 1/4 of an avocado to mine today to add a little creaminess and some fat. But I still pretty much stick to the powdered stuff, so I don't have to worry so much about the food combining.

I am going to look at adding pumpkin next.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:45 am      Reply with quote
Well I tried the pumpkin as a banana replacement and I wasn't a fan at all. Added the banana in and it was delicious as usual.

avalange (or anyone else!) -- can you give me the ingredients of your smoothie? I seem to be blanking on what would be good with pumpkin.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Dear Sarah,

Sure! Sorry you didn't like it. I cannot taste the pumpkin at all in my smoothie, I just think the texture adds the same as a banana.
My smoothie is:

Berry-Pineapple with Pumpkin Smoothie

5 raw almonds
1/4 cup blackberries (fresh)
1/4 cup blueberries
1/8 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin
1/4 pineapple
2 ounces aloe juice, kombucha, or whatever juice you have around
handful raw kale
handful baby spinach

blend!

I find this combination to taste like a berry-pineapple smoothie with a nice smooth texture.

--avalange

sarahbellum wrote:
Well I tried the pumpkin as a banana replacement and I wasn't a fan at all. Added the banana in and it was delicious as usual.

avalange (or anyone else!) -- can you give me the ingredients of your smoothie? I seem to be blanking on what would be good with pumpkin.

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
I am hypothyroid and because of this, I should not eat any Cruciferous vegetables. Broccoli, cabbage, spinach. Do any of you make the smoothies with out these in them? I can do carrots, celery, lettuce, grapes, apples. Will that be good?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sherry,

Are you sure about the spinach? I don't think it is a cruciferous vegetable. There is certainly nothing wrong with the ones you do list. If you try lettuce, I would go for the Romaine or the darkest you can find. Is Swiss chard on your list of not to eat? Sorry, I don't know anything about hypothyroid diets.

Edited to add my google:

"Since you’re trying to avoid starch, that means potatoes and corn are also on the no-no list. The diet for hypothyroid should not include raw foods such as cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, mustard greens, kale, spinach, peaches, pears, strawberries, radishes and millet as these fruits, veggies, greens and grains are thought to increase your chances of developing goiter."

Sooo, I see - it's cruciferous foods plus! It does limit you, but you can certainly use lettuce in a smoothie as your green and I would double check about Swiss chard as it isn't mentioned here.
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using red chard as the base for my smoothies all of this week and I absolutely LOVE it. It has such a mild flavour - you can add a lot of it to your smoothie without really having a bitter or a 'grassy' taste.

Here is my favourite recipe (at the moment, anyway Very Happy):

Green Smoothie with Swiss Chard

* 4-5 large red chard leaves (with leave ribs) - total of 2-3 cups of chopped loose greens
* 2 cups of baby spinach
* 1/2 cup cubed pineapple
* 1/2 grapefruit
* 1/3 cup blueberries
* 1/3 cup strawberries
* 2 tbsp ground chia seeds
* splash flax seed oil
* 1 tsp coconut oil
* 4-5 cubes ice
* 1/2-2/3 cup water

This gives two large glasses of smoothie (I would guess at least 600 ml) and this replaces my breakfast. I am guesstimating that this smoothie has about 400 cal.

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
mariah
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
nice to see this thread!
10 months ago I began having smoothies every morning (Vitamix) and I loved it. Two glasses full kept me going until 4pm!

Then, I tried straining my smoothies to make them into green juices--wow! There is no going back! You can drink juices much easier than eating a smoothie---your palate forgives weird concoctions much easier when in liquid form. Thus, I can drink super healthy juices such as:

spinach
cucumber
1 lemon (peeled)
cilantro
parsley
ginger
apple

So good for you!

And for a super refreshing drink: try pineapple and basil juice!! Sounds strange but will knock your socks off..super yummy!
evescafe
5% products discount

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:08 am      Reply with quote
It's amazing to see this thread.. Great ladies.. I would also like to join you.. I love strawberries which is rich in vitamins and it also helps to combat cholestrol. Here is my recipe

To make a strawberry fruit smoothie, all you need is

250 grams of strawberries, 250ml of plain yogurt, 150ml of skimmed milk and ice cubes.

Now you have to blend!

To do this, simply take the strawberries and remove all the stalks. After this, take your 250ml of yogurt and 150ml of skimmed milk and pour them into the blender or smoothie maker followed by your strawberries and then ice cubes.

After all the ingredients have been blended to the consistency you want, simply pour into one or several glasses depending on how many people want a strawberry fruit smoothie,drink enjoy and no vitamin deficiency..

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:31 am      Reply with quote
evescafe,

I started on smoothies (now juices) after I learned how bad milk is for you. I stopped all dairy 10 months ago and no more IBS!

Cow's milk is best for baby cows....

Read up on i...especially now, with all the added hormones and antibiotics... milk is not what it used to be years and years ago... unless you can find raw unpasteurized milk from grass only fed cows ... I suggest giving up milk and see how good you will feel!

This also would include cheese, yogurt etc...
Dr. Mercola and SO many other places have great info on milk.

Writing not to be Mad but to share the good news about living healthy...to YOUR health Very Happy
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:05 am      Reply with quote
HI All...

I'm ramping up on my green smoothies again...

Thought I' share my favorite blend for those scorching hot summer days... (editing to add that OBVIOUSLY, this one isn't green...)

Play with the amounts, I'm usually making this for myself and 2 kiddos...

Strawberry Lime Smoothie with Sparkling Water

A small bag of frozen strawberries. (You can freeze fresh ones... but they should be frozen!)

Peel and toss in 1 WHOLE lime.

Pour in a little sparkling water of choice. BLEND until smooth...

This will make a thick mix.

Spoon as much as you want into a glass... and fill the balance of the glass with sparkling water. Stir... COOL OFF and enjoy!

OH... and I USE the following as a juice (not a smoothie)...

Lemon Ginger Juice with Beets

1 Whole beet, 1/2 peeled lemon, about 1/4-1/2" chunk of ginger... Put through your juicer. Pour over ICE... (I don't care for this combo thick and smoothie like... but you might!)

This is a little spicy (ginger) but great for body. Detoxing, and helps in reducing inflammation. You can use as a hot lemon drink as well...

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
mariah wrote:

Read up on i...especially now, with all the added hormones and antibiotics... milk is not what it used to be years and years ago... unless you can find raw unpasteurized milk from grass only fed cows ... I suggest giving up milk and see how good you will feel!

This also would include cheese, yogurt etc...
Dr. Mercola and SO many other places have great info on milk.

I agree that raw milk from grass fed cows is the way to go, and I also only eat grass fed beef. That aside Dr. Mercola is a nut and a huckster, much of his advice is dubious, and he's always trying to sell you stuff.
evescafe
5% products discount

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for your information mariah.. Surely I will stop using milk.. Thanks a lot..

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:33 am      Reply with quote
Is whey protein good to put in a smoothie?
I made it today with
cucumber 1/4
grapes (5 frozen)
blueberries (~8 frozen)
banana ~1/4
carrot (1)
swiss chard 6 leaves
celery 1 stalk
strawberry (3berries)
orange (~ 1/4)
half a scoop of whey protein
and a cup of water
It was good...

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
Sherry,
There are some people that do add protein to their smoothies but I think most others just go for the fruit and vegetable combo to best preserve the enzymes. The books I have suggest that. I prefer to do the green smoothie and my protein shake separately. But that's just me. If that's the way you like it - go for it!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:56 am      Reply with quote
Hello all - I have my first ever vegetable garden in progress. It's the coolest thing. I've had flower gardens all around the house and herbs with a tomato or two but now have a nice large area specifically for the green, orange, yellow and red good eats.

Anyway my spring lettuces are up and I've been using these in green smoothies. What a difference the fresh greens make. The taste is more obvious green than when I buy in packs at the store. I assume there is more of a nutrition punch since they are fresh from the earth and used quickly.

Any of you could take a small area and sprinkle in the seeds and have a little patch of greens. It's so easy! Just have to do it before the weather turns hot.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:13 am      Reply with quote
I'm with you - home grown lettuce tastes so much better than any you can buy from the store, or even the farmers market.

For those that can't or don't want to garden I recommend sprouting. You just need a mason jar, some cheesecloth and some seeds (preferably organic, but at least untreated). My current fave is broccoli sprouts, sooo healthy and great in sandwiches as well as my green smoothies.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:06 am      Reply with quote
Hey sister... post some photos of that garden when you get a chance... I soooo love to garden. I want some extra greens in mine. They are a little wimpy right now... I'm super excited this year! We didn't happen to have a freeze during our early spring, and my pomegranate tree is LoADED with blossoms... I can't wait (until Oct/Nov)

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:22 am      Reply with quote
oh (sigh!) a pomegranate tree..... You LUCKY girl Claudia.

My veggie garden is in a place known locally as "The Community Garden". It is a huge area that is plotted off and rototilled in early spring by the township. I signed up for a plot of my own (all free!). The area was a flood area for years and the soil is so wonderful - you can tell it's a special place to grow! Everything is happy there.

There are several of us "gardeners" involved: doing our thing. Lots of comraderie - some very experienced, others new like me. People share plants and tips.
We have to water by way of hand pump and carry! so there is work involved. They supply us with mulch to keep weeding at a minimum - you just have to do the work. A true labor of love!

I enjoy the connection with the earth. When things grow up a bit more I'll post pictures!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
I read in a green smoothie blog that you shouldn't have starchy vegetables. (carrots) with fruit. That would mean pumpkin too. The enzymes don't assimilate easily when you mix vegetables and starchy vegetables and fruit True? does anyone know?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
Anything new on the "smoothie" front?

Here's my something new to add... I've only had the opportunity to have maybe 4 smoothies in the last 5 weeks or so, and I'm looking quite sluggish and haggard... Crying or Very sad

Yes, I've had an enormous amount of stress in my life in the past several months so that could be playing a major part, but I also feel confident that the absence of daily smoothies has played a major part in my decline. (It's only the past month that I've not had time to have my lovely smoothies... Confused )

I'm in dire need of quick + nourishing ideas... Drool (And that includes Claudia's great soup concoctions, even though it's sweltering in south Florida right now... Laughing )

Hope everyone is well and having a great summer!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:58 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |