Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Do you color your own hair?? If so what do you use??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
kdd2411
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:18 am      Reply with quote
I have really really dark brown hair and like it about a medium to light brown. It is such a pain to constantly go to the salon and get it done, not to mention expensive. Since my hair is almost black naturally when dyed brown the people at th salon said at home kits will never make it totally brown and it will always have an auburn or red tint to it. This is because of the lower end formula they use, not sure about the science behind it. That would explain why I can never get rid of the auburn tint when I do it myself. Can anyone with a similar problem suggest something that does not leave a tint?
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:33 am      Reply with quote
kdd - personally, I like the auburn tint that the home kits give my hair, as that's my natural color anyway. I use one for a touch up between salon trtmnts, as my hair has enuf gray in it that a few weeks growth shows a lot of gray. Crying or Very sad

but, for yourself - why don't you find out what color (#) your salon uses on you and go to a Sally's Beauty Supply or similiar store and buy those for yourself? they stock the pro stuff.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:37 am      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
kdd - personally, I like the auburn tint that the home kits give my hair, as that's my natural color anyway. I use one for a touch up between salon trtmnts, as my hair has enuf gray in it that a few weeks growth shows a lot of gray. Crying or Very sad

but, for yourself - why don't you find out what color (#) your salon uses on you and go to a Sally's Beauty Supply or similiar store and buy those for yourself? they stock the pro stuff.

Foxe,

I actually do purchase my dye from Sally's, but I still end up with the tint. I am extremely tan naturally and just don't like how it looks with my skin tone. I think I should ask next time what the number is and maybe get it off of Ebay. I know most salons use Redken or Paul Mitchell, which the public cannot buy...exept on Ebay Very Happy .
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
I use Revlon Colorsilk, light golden brown, #54. My natural color is dark brown and gray. I use it to color the gray. The dark brown is lightened a bit, and the gray looks like highlights, but I can't say that it is without a tint.

5% products discount

Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried colouring my hair at home but I screwed it up big time. It was way too dark and I ended up going back to my hair dresser to get it fixed. He tried not to laugh at me...Sad I think it was nice and easy. But then I don't think it had to do with the kit but I picked the wrong colour.
Poreless
5% products discount

Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
Kdd,

As the daughter of a hair stylist and girlfriend of a colorist who specializes in color correction, I can tell you that it's very, very hard to color dark hair a lighter brown shade at home without that red tint. My hair is dark brown naturally but I like a nice light brown for spring and summer. To get it there, my BF mixes a couple of shades—some with really odd tones like green and purple—to cut the red. Sometimes he adds highlights and then tones those with ash colors to make sure the color is a true light brown and not red.

It's not an easy process—no matter what anyone says—and if you try to do it at home there's a good chance you'll end up with that Auburn tint (that slowly fades to lovely orange). That red/orange cast is the tell-tale sign of an at-home job; professionals can make the color look much more natural.

A very big (and lucrative) part of my boyfriend's job is color correction. He has several clients a week who come in because they got tired of paying a stylist and wanted to do it at home. He charges $60 for a basic color and about $160 (to start) for the extensive color correction process. It's cheaper to have it done right the first time. He worked on one woman last week who tried to lighten her brown hair with box color, then decided it was too red and bought a simple highlighting kit to break up the red. She hated that color when she was done, so a few weeks later bought a box of color and slapped that on her head. All the highlights turned green. It took my BF 3 hours to fix that mess. And her hair is damaged now.

If you really can't afford to pay a stylist, go to a beauty school (Paul Mitchell has several) where a student under teacher supervision can do the work for cheaper.

HTH! Surprised)

--Poreless
secretly
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
Gosh I guess it's not as bad for blonde hair, I do mine at home every three weeks (just the roots) and it always turns out really nice, it never looks brassy whereas my friend who has hers done always does.

In fact I spent years hating my hair because every time I went to get it done I ended up with the bleach-blond look, no matter how much I paid or where I went.

I use L'Oreal Preference Haircolor number 8, perfect....! I would try to call L'Oreal and talk to the people there, they of course are working to pitch the product but when I started doing my own I called them to find out how it's done etc.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
Excellent advice - Poreless.

Thanks for sharing that.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:32 am      Reply with quote
I went to the beauty salon,If you do yourself the color can not cover full
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:15 am      Reply with quote
There's some really useful info on hair colouring on
http://www.killerstrands.blogspot.com/

Haven't checked out the site for a while, but I did in the past get some great tips, stuff I never thought of.
lorimcp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
I use Henna, so that won't help you much, but I love that Killer Strands site, I can spend hours there. I would have really considered spending the $$ for her personal consultation.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
The thing is if your hair is colored than all you need to do is your part(s)if you have one, and around the hairline. All I use is the Clairol root color in light brown and it turns out great. You always get more than you need so you can do a pretty good job of it. You save lots of money doing it that way.
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
I like to use product from japan like palty or beuteen. The color is variety and quite cheap.
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
My mother usually use L'Oreal products to colour her hair in burgundy red colour.
As for me I never coloured my hair, I am afraid of allergic reaction. I have blond hair and under the sun my hair can get really light almost white. I wish we have more sun days here...

5% products discount

Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:49 am      Reply with quote
I use Robert Craig's Light Chestnut #8 half and half with the Clear #21.

When I used Light Chestnut alone, the color was too dark, but the website and the packaging both recommend mixing with the clear to get a lighter shade.

It's as close as I can get to my original warm medium brown without the reddish cast.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:15 am      Reply with quote
I use Satin colour (3N) and developper (Cover Grey). Satin was recommended on a few beauty boards, including makeupalley, and it has been pretty gentle on my hair and easy to use as a new hair colour DIYer.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
Wella Charm and L'Oreal Excellence - from Sallys
mayhua
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
i have used different brands but imo,the best coverage is still Excellence by Loreal.i always cover gray hair once every about 5weeks but if i use other brands, i find that its not so lasting.
milkcoffee
5% products discount

Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:01 am      Reply with quote
I like to use is called Prettia from japan.Very convenient to use, like shampoo,and also very effective.
leathal
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
I have highlighted my own. My original color is dark brown, and I use Kalidascope in the lavender package (Sally's) and a 20% Reducer. I use the cap. It gives a great variety of browns and blonds.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
I am in my fifties and used revlon colorsilk number 43.I am part asian so this was a nice medium brown and covered the grey...you can leave it on a little longer if you want a darker brown. I now get my hair professionally colored and highlighted since I feel that when you are older highlights really help to make you look younger...I do not like thick streaks of highlight though...just many many tiny streaks of highlighting...it is timeconsuming for the stylist I know so I tip 30%.I have had compliments every day on my hair....I touch up the roots only every week with the revlon colorsilk No 43...but try to wipe the color off before I shower so it doesnt mess up my highlights.This wonderful color can be had sometimes on sale at walmart for 2 boxes for $3! I only mix a small amount for touchups so one box I pay $1.50 I will get 4 dye touchups out of!
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
I was lightening my roots...but it turned ugly quick and I was left with white roots and reddish ends. Cool, if I was 16,but not so much at my age. I used Nice and Easy Perfect 10 in 7.5A Med.ash blonde. It takes 10 minutes and turned it a very nice non-brassy blonde. I was amazed.
SansSouci572
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
I use redken eq. I make it red on purpose, but my understanding is if you don't want red, get an ash, its kind of a green color. Or get a neutral. You don't have to have red in it! Mix two together, an n and and an ash, probably.
KayS
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
I have been coloring my hair since I was 14 years old. I am now 60. I went gray very early now my hair (if I did'nt color it) would be totally white. I buy a light brown shade from Sally's and they told me to use a color corrector that cuts out the red and brassy hues and it came in a little one time use packet and it is purple. I am going to try it next time I color.
photoqueen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
KayS wrote:
I have been coloring my hair since I was 14 years old. I am now 60. I went gray very early now my hair (if I did'nt color it) would be totally white. I buy a light brown shade from Sally's and they told me to use a color corrector that cuts out the red and brassy hues and it came in a little one time use packet and it is purple. I am going to try it next time I color.

The purple product is an ash/violet semi colour which knocks out red/warm tones - this because the light brown is adding red tone to grey hair - in a salon we would add a cooler brown tint to make sure you don't get a too warmer finish to the colour.

You don't get the range of colours for home use - so the purple product will give you a nice natural finish.

There is a product made by Matrix which will cool down your hair colour when your semi colour washes out.

I am not sure if you can get these products where you live.

PQ.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |